Quick Drive: 2017 Kia Soul Exclaim

William Maley

27 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

LMAO! Pay special attention to these two words. 

“Damn near”. 

In all seriousness, I’d take a Bolt or even the new Leaf over any Fiat. 

Maybe the New XPeng RWD EV CUV?

XiaopengMotorsEV-SUV.jpg.ae74986003fda0bd9b4686ae89fb3ed8.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

To oldshurst442:  Hey buttcheek, who is "my employer"?

A Lemming Surf company who slaves under so called franchise sales of Fiat aka FCA auto company? :huh:

Talking about the owner here of the dealership you work for. :P 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Ya know... FIAT has been around since 1899... so they must be doing something right.  Meanwhile clock is ticking on Tesla.  So yes I will continue with or without your permission.

I hereby challenge oldshurst442 to post only 3-word comments on C&G for the next 3 weeks.

They left the US because they were shet and people stopped buying them... because they were shet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I haven't driven the 6-speed auto... but it's only available in the FWD base model Compass, so I think the take rate will be too low to matter. 

The ZF 9HP fuss is much ado about nothing.  It had some early teething issues, but I've not had any even minor issues with it in a while.  It shifts smooth and goes about its business without getting in the way.  The problem arises when it is paired with engines having mediocre low-end torque like the 2.4 Tigershark. In that scenario, the transmission will shift more often than people are used to in a futile hunt for more torque.  It's not the transmission's fault, it's just doing the best it can with the amount of torque being provided. 

With that, I feel that the 9HP is getting a bad reputation that it doesn't deserve. It is just like any other transmission when paired with weaksauce a engine. Given the choice between the Rogue Sport CVT or the Compass 9HP, I'll pick the 9HP every day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

That isn't to say that I dislike CVTs, but the Nissan CVT is another one that does best with an engine with torque. 

I have been researching the chrysler tranny lately due to us probably getting the Pacifica soon. The Cherokee and 200 in particular have had much issues, I would call them. Lots of bad owner comments but it could be as you say, overreaction as well. I have read more than a few folks taking the vehicle to the dealer multiple times and still issues.  But that is on the first couple model years. The 2017's they may have finally worked out more of the bugs so let's hope so. Actually chrysler has a lot of tranny and electrical issues the last few years including on the Pacifica and evidently it's happened on cherokees too where the vehicle propulsion just dies. You're going 60 and it will lock up and kill or go down to 20 etc. that is the scary stuff. 

The old compass I rented one and it was horrible  the new one is light and day  I may recommend to my mom to look at a compass or Cherokee   A compass with 4wd, heated seats and steering wheel at 27k?  Even the renegade can be deemed a possible better choice than the soul  renegade is probably the more natural competitor for the soul IMO

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Ya know... FIAT has been around since 1899... so they must be doing something right.  Meanwhile clock is ticking on Tesla.  So yes I will continue with or without your permission.

I hereby challenge oldshurst442 to post only 3-word comments on C&G for the next 3 weeks.

Clock is absolutely clicking on Tesla, they are the dead man walking of the auto industry.

As to Fiat having been around since 1899, herpes has been around much longer so your argument is non unique.  There is no direct length to lifespan or size of business and quality of product. By your logic I should eat the crap food at Appleby's because they have a ton of restaurants...

That being said, I do like the 500 Abarth a little bit, and the 124 Spyder.  Sadly, if I wanted a grenade I would by a grenade, not an automobile.

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

To oldshurst442:  Hey buttcheek, who is "my employer"?

A secret bunch of gnomes in the Black Forrest...apparently the same people who also built the first Air Cooled VW's. It's why you have this Corviar fetish you try to keep hidden with the monsters under the bed.

if only everything could be as cool as an air cooled Kombi...we would be in bidness..

Edited by A Horse With No Name
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Being this is a Kia thread, how about some history here.

1957 K360 Tri-cycle

kia_k360-1957.jpg

Kia Heritage through the years.

KiaHeritage.jpg

Philosophically, this destroys the notion of forward progress as a linear idea.  One does not see actual improvement from 1962 to 2010.  If any thing, de-evolution and entropy are present.

Like the girls passed around under the bleachers back in the day at your old high school, or the sandwich you forgot in the back of the fridge...some things alas do not get better with time.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Philosophically, this destroys the notion of forward progress as a linear idea.  One does not see actual improvement from 1962 to 2010.  If any thing, de-evolution and entropy are present.

Like the girls passed around under the bleachers back in the day at your old high school, or the sandwich you forgot in the back of the fridge...some things alas do not get better with time.

Huh?

Seriously.

Huh?

To make the statement that KIA has not improved over the years simply is as untrue a statement as one can simply make here. I have driven three different KIAs over the last few years and have been surprisingly impressed with their improvements with each model. Sure, there are always some hiccups but that can absolutely be said for a sizable portion of cars, like my wife’s HHR. The electronic gremlins in that thing are about to have a date with a match and a can of gasoline. I have also had a Lexus ES300 that should have suffered the same fate before I traded it in for a Magnum.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Might I suggest holding up a sarcasm sign next time becuase your dislike seemed pretty clear? 

This is entirely fair.

Decent cars...just not my thing.  There... simple and done.

• Agree 1