New York 2018: 2019 Cadillac XT4 Kicks Off A Product Renaissance: Comments

27 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Cloth is absolute garbage.. I hope to never own anything with cloth seats. 

Garbage cloth is garbage.  The old luxury cloth seats from up until about 1990 were great.  The cloth I have in my Toronado is leagues better than any cloth you can get today. 

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Having had to clean up the aftermath of explosive diarrhea and vomit from multiple cars, leather gets my vote every time.  

Not everyone picks up random homeless drug addicts like you to Cubi...

• Haha 1

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Garbage cloth is garbage.  The old luxury cloth seats from up until about 1990 were great.  The cloth I have in my Toronado is leagues better than any cloth you can get today. 

I am with Drew on the cloth issue.  My cars are older Oldsmobiles from the 1990's and the cloth holds up well if not better than the leather. Leather is not a good thing in some states like Texas. It cracks, breaks and worse.  My Toronados cloth is doing well so far.  The Ninety Eight is leather, and I am going to have it reupholstered and I am switching it to the older GM cloth.  I found the  GM cloth online.  I would not get leather because of the heat, humidity factors here. You should see interiors of cars with leather here. It is not a pretty sight.  I did what you were supposed to do with leather, and the climate here destroyed it over time. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Not everyone picks up random homeless drug addicts like you to Cubi...

Hah-hah, no that was me on 3 occasions where I went for Indian or Pakistani curry without taking Immodium before and after...unstable bowels.    I learned Chicken Vindaloo and 115 degree days don't mix well...

• Sad 1

Hah-hah, no that was me on 3 occasions where I went for Indian or Pakistani curry without taking Immodium before and after...unstable bowels.    I learned Chicken Vindaloo and 115 degree days don't mix well...

My car if that happened to me....

explode damon wayans GIF by Lethal Weapon

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Cloth is absolute garbage.. I hope to never own anything with cloth seats. 

Cloth is instant warm on a cold morning day and warm on a blistering hot Phoenix Arizona day. 

I myself love leather but also can understand the comfort of cloth. My 1994 GMC Suburban has cloth seats and it is nice to sit on when you are either freezing or frying outside.

But I do dig my Escalade Leather chilled seats. :smilewide:

Just now, dfelt said:

Cloth is instant warm on a cold morning day and warm on a blistering hot Phoenix Arizona day. 

I myself love leather but also can understand the comfort of cloth. My 1994 GMC Suburban has cloth seats and it is nice to sit on when you are either freezing or frying outside.

The 9 years I lived in AZ I had only leather interiors...dark gray (WJ GC), cream (DTS), dark blue (500SEL), black (300CE), cream (WK2 GC).    But had sheepskin seat covers in most...

12 minutes ago, ykX said:

I disagree, cloth is not hot in the summer and not cold in the winter. Leather looks better and it is easier to clean but they need to heat and cool it to be comfortable.

Really expensive cars put alcantara now I believe, because it is better than leather.

Tinted windows keep leather from getting hot and of course heated seats! lol 

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Maybe that's why I've always thought cloth was garbage. I've only sat in cloth seats from vehicles from the mid 90's through today. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

They help a bit, but if the car is sitting out all day in 118 degree weather, it's still hot inside.. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Maybe that's why I've always thought cloth was garbage. I've only sat in cloth seats from vehicles from the mid 90's through today. 

If you ever go to a car cruise, look for a mid-70s to mid-80s Oldsmobile Buick Cadillac Chrysler Lincoln, etc from the higher ends of the range (not a Cutlass, but a Toronado or Ninety Eight)

You'll see the difference compared to the nylon denim they put in cars today. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

They help a bit, but if the car is sitting out all day in 118 degree weather, it's still hot inside.. 

My car sits outside all day and I'll get in it and it's read in the 100+teens temps. I've nebr felt like my seat was going to burn me. I've had my shift ball in my Mach 1 almost burn me because it was aluminum and would get incredibly hot. 

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

The 2 biggest reason's I hate cloth seats is getting in an out in most any pants they don't want to slide along the cloth so you have to adjust after getting in and after getting out and the more obvious, ease of cleaning. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

My car sits outside all day and I'll get in it and it's read in the 100+teens temps. I've nebr felt like my seat was going to burn me. I've had my shift ball in my Mach 1 almost burn me because it was aluminum and would get incredibly hot. 

When I was in AZ and didn't have covered parking, my Jeep or the Benzes would get to 145F inside during the afternoon.   Sheepskin seat covers, steering wheel cover, dash cover.  The chrome inside door handles got really hot..

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

If you ever go to a car cruise, look for a mid-70s to mid-80s Oldsmobile Buick Cadillac Chrysler Lincoln, etc from the higher ends of the range (not a Cutlass, but a Toronado or Ninety Eight)

Hmmm I'll have to do that! 

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

When I was in AZ and didn't have covered parking, my Jeep or the Benzes would get to 145F inside during the afternoon.   Sheepskin seat covers, steering wheel cover, dash cover.  The chrome inside door handles got really hot..

Holy Balls, 145F! 

I assume you also had a windshield sun reflector? They help out a lot and probably even more in temps like those. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yeah, those various older cloth interiors look great...I remember seeing a Cadillac Fleetwood w/ the Talisman interior once.   My Dad's '70s and '80s Continentals and Town Cars had cloth interiors IIRC, and they were very nice. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Holy Balls, 145F! 

I assume you also had a windshield sun reflector? They help out a lot and probably even more in temps like those. 

Yes..  luckily, the places I worked from 2011-2017 I had parking garage parking (underground and above ground) or covered lot parking... but from '09-11 I was stuck parking in a huge asphalt lot during the day. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

15 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Soooo what you're saying is... you sh!t ourself on three different occasions?!?!

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yeah, those various older cloth interiors look great...I remember seeing a Cadillac Fleetwood w/ the Talisman interior once.   My Dad's '70s and '80s Continentals and Town Cars had cloth interiors IIRC, and they were very nice. 

Keeping in mind that the tastes for what consituted luxury have changed in the past 40 years... it use to be about ultimate quiet and comfort compared to the hard seats and pumped in engine noises you get today.... this is the cushmobile that Cubi is referring to above.

cadi1974talismaninteriorblue.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The 2 biggest reason's I hate cloth seats is getting in an out in most any pants they don't want to slide along the cloth so you have to adjust after getting in and after getting out and the more obvious, ease of cleaning. 

That just means you have to lift your ass up rather than sliding in. :P 

9 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Keeping in mind that the tastes for what consituted luxury have changed in the past 40 years... it use to be about ultimate quiet and comfort compared to the hard seats and pumped in engine noises you get today.... this is the cushmobile that Cubi is referring to above.

So True, I remember all the cadillac and Delta 98 interiors my family and relatives had and they were awesome. Suburbans had nice cloth interiors too for the GMC side of the house but nothing like that above.

@Drew Dowdell You nailed it, that quiet lazy boy comfort in a luxury cruiser was it 40 yrs ago and now everyone implies they want the ultimate driving machine.

I for one love the ultimate driving machine but also love the quiet comfort and I believe you can have both. No reason to not have a auto that can handle when thrown about but also blocks out the exterior world. The Buick Envision does this very well. In fact the more I think about it, the Cadillac XT5 was noisier than my sisters Envision.

I want my next auto to handle like my SS but be vault like quiet from the outside world. I wish Cadillac would use the Buick quiet tech on their lineup of auto's plus extra sound deadening material.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

@Drew Dowdell You nailed it, that quiet lazy boy comfort in a luxury cruiser was it 40 yrs ago and now everyone implies they want the ultimate driving machine.

I for one love the ultimate driving machine but also love the quiet comfort and I believe you can have both. No reason to not have a auto that can handle when thrown about but also blocks out the exterior world. The Buick Envision does this very well. In fact the more I think about it, the Cadillac XT5 was noisier than my sisters Envision.

I want my next auto to handle like my SS but be vault like quiet from the outside world. I wish Cadillac would use the Buick quiet tech on their lineup of auto's plus extra sound deadening material.

See also: Cadillac CT6

But you're right, the XT5 I find boomy inside too. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Soooo what you're saying is... you sh!t ourself on three different occasions?!?!

3 different cars, 3 different restaurants, 3 different cities.  All Indian or Pakistani curry. Just can't handle the really spicy stuff anymore. ;(

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd like to have something with the plush comfort of that era, very quiet but with all the modern cabin tech and plenty of power.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Sit sideways and rotate ~90 degrees... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Such a lady!

7ac4c4c612c7c31a6fefa63a5b6ad82c.jpg

8 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'd like to have something with the plush comfort of that era, very quiet but with all the modern cabin tech and plenty of power.  

In before @smk4565

You want an S-Class

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

In before @smk4565

You want an S-Class

There is something special about wafting along looking out over a big hood at the 3 pointed star.  I enjoyed driving my sister's old  500SEL when it wasn't in the shop.  

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It doesn't seem like "The Best or Nothing" either...

GLS and all below it come with Pleather seats standard.

It is the Best when it is easy to clean, super durable, doesn't crack, doesn't wear out, etc.  MB-Tex is durable.  Although I have the Nappa Leather upgrade in my car and it is also a good material.   And maybe some people don't care, you give the consumer a choice of MB Tex or pay extra for leather. 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

There is something special about wafting along looking out over a big hood at the 3 pointed star.  I enjoyed driving my sister's old  500SEL when it wasn't in the shop.  

💸💸💸

49 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Everyone wants an S-class, just not everyone can afford an S-class.

Nope Wrong, Never will want an S-class or anything MB makes. They have nothing to compete with the Escalade and before you say it, the G-Wagon even the new finally updated one is still no match to an Escalade!

I would take a Hummer H2 over the G-Wagon!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I would take a Hummer H2

What a pile those things were....Fisher-Price interior plastics, dreadful styling..  

As far as M-Bs,  I'd drive a GLE or GLS, maybe a CLS.   But I wouldn't want to have one out of warranty. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

What a pile those things were....Fisher-Price interior plastics, dreadful styling..  

As far as M-Bs,  I'd drive a GLE or GLS, maybe a CLS.   But I wouldn't want to have one out of warranty. 

H2 were Plastic city, but they could handle off road amazingly well and had a ton of room inside.

If M-B ever wanted to really play in the full size SUV space, then stop wasting money on the excessive off road that 99.99999% of people never use and build a proper body on frame 3 row full size SUV that can hall 8 people comfortably on road trips and still handle the basic offroad stuff.

It is almost as if M-B is afraid to even try and take on GM in the Escalade space. :scratchchin:

Guess this goes with the same whatever reason they will not attempt to take on GM or Ford with full size Pickups.

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I can afford one, but have zero desire to own one. No appeal to me.

But it's not so much the purchase price people can't afford (most are low-rate leases), it's the depreciation.
Who wants to kiss $50,000 goodby in 36 months??
- - - - -
RE the Olds 98, my grandfather had a new '82 98 Regency Brougham. I remember driving it... stone slow but butter smooth.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

the devil wears prada everybody wants to be us GIF

4 hours ago, NINETY EIGHT REGENCY said:

Oldsmobile Ninety Eight with a cloth interior

Make mine black, coupe, burgundy interior.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Like just lookkatthat.

I mean where do you even begin?

Just so plush and cushy. Does it even end?

I could never keep my hands on the steering wheel as I’d have my hands touching everything....savouring the sensation of the materials, the caressing care of the cushion, the deep thrust of the spring, the soft envelope of the cabin...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

H2 were Plastic city, but they could handle off road amazingly well and had a ton of room inside.

If M-B ever wanted to really play in the full size SUV space, then stop wasting money on the excessive off road that 99.99999% of people never use and build a proper body on frame 3 row full size SUV that can hall 8 people comfortably on road trips and still handle the basic offroad stuff.

It is almost as if M-B is afraid to even try and take on GM in the Escalade space. :scratchchin:

Guess this goes with the same whatever reason they will not attempt to take on GM or Ford with full size Pickups.

The GLS is a full size SUV and has more 3rd row room than the Escalade.  They have 7 SUVs if you count the 2 coupes and a GLB and electric SUV coming in 2019.  That is 9 freaking SUVs, I think they have the market covered.

54 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

Like just lookkatthat.  Just so plush and cushy.  Does it even end? 

I've seen numerous pics of the Talisman interior, but man; is it NOT for me.
Not only am I allergic to velour 😉 , I hate that one can't slide easily into/across the seat; too much upholsteristic traction. Yech.

17 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I've seen numerous pics of the Talisman interior, but man; is it NOT for me.
Not only am I allergic to velour 😉 , I hate that one can't slide easily into/across the seat; too much upholsteristic traction. Yech.

Your just Jealous of the Leisure Suit Larry interior. ;) :P 

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

I would take a Hummer H2 over the G-Wagon!

That's just brand bias because the H2 is a piece of junk. GF's parents have one and something is leaving them on the side of the road every 6 months, literally. They take the GF's G Wagen on road trips because they know it'll get them there and back.

They've had so many issues with that thing. I'm trying to convince them a newer Yukon or Tahoe/Suburban would be better and waaaaaay more reliable. 

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

A GLS can do as much(or little) off roading as an Escalade...

28 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's just brand bias because the H2 is a piece of junk. GF's parents have one and something is leaving them on the side of the road every 6 months, literally. They take the GF's G Wagen on road trips because they know it'll get them there and back.

They've had so many issues with that thing. I'm trying to convince them a newer Yukon or Tahoe/Suburban would be better and waaaaaay more reliable. 

A GLS can do as much(or little) off roading as an Escalade...

Have they done all the stated maintenance on their H2? Hate to say it but I have had enough experience with the H2 that you do need to follow the service schedule otherwise it can leave you stranded. 

I also agree with you a newer Tahoe / Suburban would be better even a CPO version.

Good to see the GL450 video, yup that can do the same as the Escalade. Now just need to produce it in an ESV version and they will have a competitor to it.

Yes I know the GL450 will compete with the standard Escalade, but they do not have an ESV competitor yet.

H2s were just a Yukon in Hummer clothing. The Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban were just noted for being the longest lasting SUVs on the road and also having the highest average mileage AND also having the most vehicle or there with over 200k miles.

Not saying the situation you mentioned isn't happening, but it is certainly the exception. 

The Escalade's downfall for off-roading is entirely the wheels and tires.  It's as capable as any other full size SUV except it's wearing 22s and summer tires usually.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Have they done all the stated maintenance on their H2? Hate to say it but I have had enough experience with the H2 that you do need to follow the service schedule otherwise it can leave you stranded. 

Maintenance on alternators, starters, MAF, air suspension? I know stuff just goes over time. Nothing is indestructible. They've gone through a transmission as well and they actually have ad it services prior to its failure. They had a shop across from their store they'd take all of their stuff to. 

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

I also agree with you a newer Tahoe / Suburban would be better even a CPO version.

Definitely. That's what I think they should get. They still want something huge and will sit a bunch of people and room to move things so the Tahoe/Suburban is right up their ally. 

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Good to see the GL450 video, yup that can do the same as the Escalade. Now just need to produce it in an ESV version and they will have a competitor to it.

Yes I know the GL450 will compete with the standard Escalade, but they do not have an ESV competitor yet.

I was pleasantly surprised with how capable the GL is. Yeah it won't complete with the longer ESV but isn't that just adding length to the hatch area? Like the Suburban vs Tahoe? 

Perhaps.. and I mean PERHAPS.. your GF's parents bought a lemon. THAT HAPPENS.. even with a GM product. I owned the GMT800 Yukon SLT from 2000 to 2006. Put about 150K on the ODO.. In the summer of 2005 I decided I would put the 4.10 diff in from a wrecked Denali. Did it myself.. but that was the only time I remember being under the truck.

In Late '06 bout my 2007 Tahoe LTZ and drove from that time til 2014.. 8 years.. one issue with the Air Shocks, which I replaced myself with Ergnotts version and saved a lot versus GM parts. Got the current 2015 when my Tahoe hit 120k I think

The H2 was based on the GMT800. Plenty of them still rolling around including my older brother's 2006 which has 170K on the ODO last I checked in Dec