trevormac98

GM Interns Return

112 posts in this topic

Well it seems since C&G went down, so did my old username, metal928. Well we are back again. Gave one presentation and it went over great, we used quite a few of C&G comments. I would like to thank you all for helping us out. It is currently in the works for us two to present this to even higher people, which should take place sometimes next week. I have a question, What is the benefits of RWD over FWD? We went to FWD because of better traction and control, so why go back to RWD? Also, any other ideas would be great to hear. Our presentation has to be lenghted about 3 minutes. So we take all ideas into consideration. If you want to know what ideas we used from this forum, just ask. One last point, "Invent rather than mimic, become the styling leader!" I love that quote. Thank you C&G Beat Toyota

I have a question, What is the benefits of RWD over FWD?  We went to FWD because of better traction and control, so why go back to RWD? 

[post="553"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...performance, weight distribution, reliability, repair costs, funner to drive, the fact that I live in Phoenix and don't give 1/2 a rat's about snow traction...

Why is it that all "Ultimate Driving Machines" are RWD??? B)

That said, there is a need for FWD too, just not in Pontiacs, maybe a RWD Chevy or two to go with the Vette. And, by the way, not all of us want LARGE RWD's. A G6/Bu/93/Aura sized RWD would be killer - look at the BMW 3 - ugly now and still sells a ton! Edited by will75

To me, the most important thing is to change your ad plan. You are coming along with product, now change up what you are selling, what I mean by this is: At sites like this, we are so pro-GM that all we talk about are things like RWD, horsepower, etc. But on the street, the other brands are winning on things like quality and company. So, to me, it comes down to this. 1) Sell the company first 2) Sell the sales experience second 3) Sell the product third I spent a lot of times in sales, and it was "sell yourself" then "sell your company" and only then "sell the product" If you can convince people that's it is OK to buy a GM product, then more converts will come over from the other brands. Sell quality, sell how many employees you have that work in the US, sell the advances in technology, talk about the number of gallons of fuel your hybrid busses save, talk about how long you've had on-star, talk about having HUD's in Pontiacs and Buicks, not just Caddies and Corvettes, talk about more vehicles with ABS than anyone else, talk specifically about amount of money you are spending on fuel cells for the next generation of easing our dependence on oil, talk about extensive dealer networks for service after the sale, and on and on.

I may add that GM adds should show how GM is/does it better than their rivals. If you have a car (Malibu) that's won the jdpa initial quality and vehicle dependability study for 3 out of the last 4 years, when the Camry and the Accord haven't placed in the TOP 3 since NINE years ago, I think the public should hear about it. Unfortunately, marketing has used "best...in it's segment" type adds for so long that the public is numb to it. It's not good enough to be best in your segment, you need to be best in your own segment, advertise the h*ck out of it, AND call attention to the fact that the perceived leaders haven't been leaders in almost a decade.

RWD is important for performance as has been stated above. I used to have a 1999 Trans Am and got stuck out in an ice/snow storm and made it home OK, so really don't see the need for FWD. If I had known about / there was going to be a Cadillac CTS / STS, I would have waited but wound up with a BMW 328. I looked and looked and there was nothing like it available from GM at the time. I wanted a 4 door smaller sedan with a 5-speed - the salesman told me it was RWD and that sold me. A RWD Pontiac / Saturn sedan would be fun also... (IMHO) :D

Why is it that all "Ultimate Driving Machines" are RWD??? B)

They aren't, could be the answer.

my next door neighbor across the street from me, who works for Dodge (not entirely sure in what capacity but its for Dodge, not a dealer), was commenting to me the other day about how it was a big mistake for Dodge to only offer the charger with RWD and also about the under porduction of AWD Magnums. And he flat out stated how poor the RWD Magnum and Charger are in snow, do not believe any of the hype about them being any good with the electronic systems. He said the trac control and stuff hardly does much to help. He knows all the Dodge product well and has first hand knowledge with all of it. Considering how most folks can only afford one car payment (or two if its a family) they want a car they can get around in, and something that won't get stuck, even ONCE (as compared to the aforementioned trans am). FWD vs RWD lessens your chance of foul weather foibles GREATLY. And THAT is why FWD will still be more suitable for mass volume cars. The automaker can make em and sell em in any state. Nowhere in the US will sales tank because the cars won't get around. Plus, FWD is more space efficient and cheaper. The need for folks to get around easier and safer for their hard earned money far outweighs the need for a machine to do 'smoky burnouts'. The trend is also to go from FWD and step up to AWD for even more traction. The RWD only market is destined to be for vehicles with smaller sales volumes and sporting or luxury focus. Manufacturers can't bet the farm on cars that half the states don't want, or can only drive 9 months out of the year, and they don't want expensive inventory rotting on lots all winter if they don't unload them by December.

A few RWD cars are a must. GM doesn't need to convert their whole car line to RWD, but I think each brand needs at least 1 RWD car. I read in an article that customers want the top model to be RWD because luxury makes use RWD. IMO, here's what each brand needs: Chevy needs 3 RWD cars (other than Corvette): Camaro, "Bel Air", Nomad (Kappa) Pontiac needs 3: GTO, Grand Prix/G8, Solstice Buick needs 2: Velite coupe/convert and sedan version Saturn needs 1: Sky Cadillac should have all models be RWD, unless they have AWD standard From what I've read from owners, the CTS handles fine in the snow. I think RWD cars can handle well in the snow, maybe the LX ones don't handle so well because a large amount of them have the Hemi.

I think there needs to be a mix between FWD and RWD vehicles. lets take Chevrolet for example.. of course the Aveo, Malibu and Cobalt remain FWD.. there could be an arguement to shift the Impala to RWD, but i think that would be a mistake. i would keep it FWD it sells quite well in its current form. so id say lets keep the Aveo, Cobalt, Malibu and Impala FWD.. then id convert the next gen Monte Carlo to RWD, this would be a slighly cheaper version of the next gen GTO. and unlike the GTO the new chevy coupe could be had with cloth seats and a standard V6 engine.. id also make a sedan version of this car. probably call it a Chevelle. this would do battle with the dodge charger. it would also be used for taxi and police fleets as well. this new chevelle would slot in between the Malibu and Impala sedans. there also is a case for a new Camaro. this would be a rwd vehicle and would be smaller than the monte carlo. the styling of this new camaro would have design cues of the 67-69 camaro. and would have the same engines as the chevelle/monte carlo. which would be a base 3.9L ohv V6, and with 5.3L and 6.0L V8s as options. as for an assembly location i would probably end up choosing Spring Hill TN. the Ion could be shifted to Lordstown Ohio. and Vue's could roll down the same Ontario assembly line as the Equinox..

They aren't, could be the answer.

[post="832"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was referring to BMW's marketing - are not all BMW's RWD?

A few RWD cars are a must. GM doesn't need to convert their whole car line to RWD, but I think each brand needs at least 1 RWD car. I read in an article that customers want the top model to be RWD because luxury makes use RWD.

IMO, here's what each brand needs:
Chevy needs 3 RWD cars (other than Corvette): Camaro, "Bel Air", Nomad (Kappa)
Pontiac needs 3: GTO, Grand Prix/G8, Solstice
Buick needs 2: Velite coupe/convert and sedan version
Saturn needs 1: Sky
Cadillac should have all models be RWD, unless they have AWD standard

From what I've read from owners, the CTS handles fine in the snow. I think RWD cars can handle well in the snow, maybe the LX ones don't handle so well because a large amount of them have the Hemi.

[post="875"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My CTS is fine in snow, better with snow tires.

[post="901"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Technically, no.

The other ultimate driving machine that BWM makes is FWD.... The MiniCooper.

Oh yea... and I'll write out a check right now for a deposit on a Kappa based Cadillac..... who should I make it out to? The SKY is nice... but I wish there wasn't such a huge jump in Roadsters. You have the Solstice, then the Sky, then the Corvette, then the XLR. There is a huge difference between the Sky and Corvette. I like the XLR, but I'm not sure I want to swing the 75 grand for it. A Kappa based Cadillac roadster <mini-XLR> would be great. It would line up exactly with the Z4, SLK, and TT. It doesn't have to be a hardtop convertible, softtop is fine. See if you can squeeze the 2.8 VVT in there... Edited by Oldsmoboi

While FWD is good, but when everything is FWD, something is wrong there.

I have only driven FWD, so can't comment on how better is RWD.

One word: OVERLAP

Answer one thing. What is the difference between a Cavalier and a Sunfire other than different bumpers?

Other than RWD, I do have one other suggestion: GM should be using the DOHC HF V6 engines in basically all cars. I realize that won't happen, but some brands should not have any OHV V6s. Cadillac obviously doesn't have any, and it should stay that way; Buick shouldn't have any OHV V6s, and neither should Saturn. I suppose they're okay in Chevy's and low-end Pontiacs, but high-end Pontiacs (GTP or GXP) should have DOHC engines, IMO. Having the 3800 in the LaCrosse and Lucerne is unacceptable, IMO. Having the 3500 in the Rendezvous is unacceptable, as is the 3500 and 3900 in the Terraza. Buick should position itself as an upscale brand (as it is trying to do) and therefore should use upscale engines. I also don't think the 3500 in the Aura is acceptable. The 3900 in the G6 GTP is acceptable, but I still would rather have it be the 3.6L HF V6.

A few RWD cars are a must. GM doesn't need to convert their whole car line to RWD, but I think each brand needs at least 1 RWD car. I read in an article that customers want the top model to be RWD because luxury makes use RWD.

IMO, here's what each brand needs:
Chevy needs 3 RWD cars (other than Corvette): Camaro, "Bel Air", Nomad (Kappa)
Pontiac needs 3: GTO, Grand Prix/G8, Solstice
Buick needs 2: Velite coupe/convert and sedan version
Saturn needs 1: Sky
Cadillac should have all models be RWD, unless they have AWD standard

From what I've read from owners, the CTS handles fine in the snow. I think RWD cars can handle well in the snow, maybe the LX ones don't handle so well because a large amount of them have the Hemi.

[post="875"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That sounds good, but with the current Chevy line-up I dont think the Nomad would fit. Theres already the HHR, and Cobalt in around that same price range. It would fit much better as a sedan or coupe for Pontiac, which currently only has the Vibe in that range. Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Answer one thing. What is the difference between a Cavalier and a Sunfire other than different bumpers?

Okay... since you asked... :D

Front bumper, headlights, fog lights, front quarter panels, hood, wheels, side cladding, rear quarter panels, rear passenger windows and pillars, trunk, spoiler, taillights, rear bumper, exhaust tips, dashboard, door panels, back lighting, and the radio. :P

But, these two vehicles are not made anymore and there are more differences than alot of other rebadges. Take the CSVs for example. Those make excellent examples in this case.

this one is probably minor but... the car keys. they are so friggin ugly, especially for a cadillac. it doesnt distinguish it from the other divisions besides the cadillac emblem. i wish they felt and looked more like mercedes or jag. i love how those keys retract when not in use.

Bah, personally screw dohc's, I am sturborn when it comes to pushrods, I just love them, and personally thing dohc's are overhyped. If gm put real money into a pushrod (look at the Corvettes power and fuel economy) they could get one kick ass pushrod, that makes those dohc's look like shit.

I believe extended warranties should be added to the new "Total Value Promise". I am impressed, a little, with the 4yr/50k warranties (5yr/60k would be better) on Cadillac and Saab. Supposedly Buick and Hummer will get this too, but why not the rest of the brands (Chevy/Pontiac/GMC/Saturn). With extended warranties I believe people will take GM on their TOTAL Value Promise. At the least, GM could offer extended power train protection on all their vehicles.

I believe extended warranties should be added to the new "Total Value Promise".  I am impressed, a little, with the 4yr/50k warranties (5yr/60k would be better) on Cadillac and Saab. Supposedly Buick and Hummer will get this too, but why not the rest of the brands (Chevy/Pontiac/GMC/Saturn).  With extended warranties I believe people will take GM on their TOTAL Value Promise.  At the least, GM could offer extended power train protection on all their vehicles.

[post="1051"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree 100%, why not use the 5yr 60k, it makes the Total value idea really work! If Kia... can offer the 5 yr 60k, why can't GM?

[post="901"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't forget there are xi BMWs B)

Okay... since you asked... :D

Front bumper, headlights, fog lights, front quarter panels, hood, wheels, side cladding, rear quarter panels, rear passenger windows and pillars, trunk, spoiler, taillights, rear bumper, exhaust tips, dashboard, door panels, back lighting, and the radio. :P

But, these two vehicles are not made anymore and there are more differences than alot of other rebadges. Take the CSVs for example. Those make excellent examples in this case.

[post="1002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

DING DING DING! Got it!

Next question: What about Cobalt SEDAN and the Pursuit SEDAN except for the grille and the trunk, wheel badging??

And from some previous news, the Pursuit MAY make it down to the States side. Edited by ToniCipriani

The backlighting!!! :lol: Anyways, a bit off-topic.... It pisses me off that the Cobalt and Pursuit are nearly identical, yet the Sunfire and Cavalier looked almost entirely different. Aren't we supposed to moving away from rebadging??

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room