Need Car Advice.. Corvette Z06 kinda advice

Tomorrow I will be trading in Sasha.. my 2014 Stingray Z51 for one of two Z06s I've been looking at. Both are immaculate. One is new and one is used.

The Used one is a 

'16 Corvette Z06 3LZ Z07  package 7speed (with a MGW short throw shifter) with everything except.. Ceramic rotors, Suede steering wheel and shifter and Competition seats. Price negotiated from $73K to 68K. It has 10K miles on the odo and drives awesome, no issues in literally 15 miles of driving the other day

the NEW one is 

2018 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2LZ Z07 Package 8Speed Auto..  MSRP is $107K but due to various reasons I have it down to $90,000. It has the Ceramic brakes, Comp Seats, Suede steering wheel shifter (like my V), and Carbon fiber dash 5/60K warranty 

We are talking a $22K difference for a car that I'll probably drive 4K per year and track maybe once a year due to schedule. Warranty is currently 4 months left on Bumper to Bumper and 2 years and 4 months on Powertrain. I would of course negotiate an extended  thru GM Warranty. Even if I had to pay for an extended $1900 for the plan.. its still $20,100 less than the new Z06

What do y'all think? Here are the cars (One inside is the new one):

20180421_092021.jpg

20180421_162701.jpg

20180421_162714.jpg

• Agree 1

Do you need the ceramic brakes?

You will be tracking it...  But...once a year?   Are ceramics worth it for that once a year track thing?

Is suede seats worth the 22 000 difference to you?

If either of those is yes...then buy new...

But...if I were you, Id buy the used one...and keep that 22 000 dollar difference and put it towards the new CT6 V Sport. I know you want that Caddy...  

Shyte...the new Vette and the used one really have no visual difference.  You have to look very closely to see. So..im my opinion...22 000 dollars is best put towards the CT6 V-Sport. 

Awseome is what I need to say next!!!!  :lovey:  Im sending you some love your way!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 3

Having been one to grow up and build racers and track, as I have gotten older, the few times I had access to either take my SS or borrow a V and go to the track, It never worked out and as such, I have to VOTE USED. 

I agree with @oldshurst442 to put the extra towards the CT6 V Sport or  whatever surprise we get out of Cadillac in the next 24 months of Performance Pleasure.

Maybe that V edition Escalade we keep hearing rumors about! :metal: 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

I have to VOTE USED. 

Another used vote.  Yeah.. tracking one.. maybe twice per year.. if the time allows is a definite.. but not in the way the Ceramics would give me an edge. $8,000 option BTW. The Used one + a extended warranty free or otherwise seems more logical

Also.. yeah the CT6 V-Sport in year two might be an a real thing.. but I say year two because the Escala has also been green-lit.. and hoping that JDN's leaving doesn't kill any future products. I love my CTS-V, but the VSport is a sure winner for me because of the extra space, luxury and lack of time to really utilize the CTS-V the way it could be. 

Thanks dfelt

• Agree 2

I’d go used, but I’m actually more of a fan of the Grand Sport...not the same car, right.

Ohhh, when you mentioned brakes and how they are different on the two cars I remembered that time you saved loads of dough by changing the rear axle bearings on your Impala. Some odd tie-in to DIY.

Dunno about GM’s carbon ceramic brakes but some other names like BMW have issues with noise that their rotors make in situations where it would not look good for the vehicle to be making that brake noise. Also GM has a great reputation for their high performance steel rotors. 

• Agree 2

My vote goes for used.

Reason 1: 7 SPEED MANUAL

(I think you are buying for driving pleasure -  having auto will kill 50% of that experience, just IMPO)

Reason 2: As previous posters said you don't really need ceramic brakes for only occasional track day.  

Reason 3:  As you said yourself extra $22k for a car you will drive only few thousands a year doesn't make sense.

Awesome cars btw, look great.  Sat in one at the auto show, was surprised how tight are they inside, felt almost as tight as Miata.

Let us know how Z06 in comparison to your Stingray.

• Agree 3

Thanks. Another vote for the Used.. lol.. Yeah.. and regular maintenance is something I never thought about. I'd imagine Ceramic rotors are very expensive as a regular maintenance item

3 minutes ago, ykX said:

My vote goes for used.

Let us know how Z06 in comparison to your Stingray.

I will. I could actually do that now.. but gotta get to work. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Car looks gnarly!

..minus the damn tow hook.. 🤦🏼‍♂️

That would be a good place to mount a license plate.  I've seen kits w/ license plate mounts that screw into a tow hook hole. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I'll never understand the fad of leaving the tow hook in on the streets. 

Never know when you might race and if you lose control always good to get a quick pull out and back into the action. ;) 

Kinda like why do women and men have nose rings? Rings in the center of the nose has always been used by farmers to control unruly bulls.

So are they saying they are unruly and need to be controlled? 🤔

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Never know when you might race and if you lose control always good to get a quick pull out and back into the action. ;) 

Kinda like why do women and men have nose rings? Rings in the center of the nose has always been used by farmers to control unruly bulls.

So are they saying they are unruly and need to be controlled? 🤔

Like w/ tow hooks on SUVs, never know when you might be in a sticky situation and need to get a pull out.. get stuck in a muddy ditch, off the road in a blizzard, etc. 

• Like 1

Personally, all states should go with RFID tag License tabs and only a single license plate on the rear. I see no reason for a front plate at all even for Police or any other gov service use.

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Personally, all states should go with RFID tag License tabs and only a single license plate on the rear. I see no reason for a front plate at all even for Police or any other gov service use.

31 states require 2 plates.  Oddly, Ohio is a 2 plate state, yet is surrounded by 1 plate states.   Only 13 states allow one only, I've lived in 3 of them. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

35 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The tow hook comes with the vehicle. It's always there, just not screwed in. It wouldn't take any time to walk to the truck, grab it out, and screw it in. That way you don't look like a jackass the other 99% of the time driving. 

Trunk**

28 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I'd go for the offset license plate mount in the tow hook hole. 

IL is one of those damn two plate states as well and this looks pretty good if you're in a state that requires it. 

Edited by ccap41

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

IL is one of those damn two plate states as well and this looks pretty good if you're in a state that requires it. 

Agreed, Damn 2 plate state crap this looks good. Just wish all states would better define a set amount of standards. I really like RFID License tab on the back plate. Police scan and know the info they need without a front plate.

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Trunk**

I thought about doing that with my Jeep last year when I moved to Ohio, since it didn't have a front license plate bracket.  But it didn't have the optional tow hooks either, so I didn't want to have to drill or anything so I went with the OEM plate bracket.. 

@Cubical-aka-Moltar... Man.. I have no desire to have a front tag on my Vette.. as I don't have one even on my Vseries. The MD law suggests that if the holes are not drilled already by the dealer upon delivery then one is not necessarily required. Even on the off chance I've been get pulled over for it.. each time the cop let me off with a warning, even after having it happen before. On my '08, '14 Vettes.. on my '09, '12 VSeries.. never a plate.

@ccap41 as always U have to come with something..LOL.. to your commentary about how easy it is to "It wouldn't take any time to walk to the truck, grab it out, and screw it in."

Obviously U've never had to do it.. it is not an easy task due to the way the car is angled and the threads hae to be perfectly aligned. That being said.. this tow hook is not a Stock tow hook and the RED portion (HOOK) can actually be left off with the Black portion (shaft) can stay in unnoticed unless one were to get up seriously close and get on their knees to inspect. 

Lastly... I had it on only for the pic.. and took it off when I finished. NOW THO.. I think I might put it back on just because I feel like it

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

@Cubical-aka-Moltar... Man.. I have no desire to have a front tag on my Vette.. as I don't have one even on my Vseries. The MD law suggests that if the holes are not drilled already by the dealer upon delivery then one is not necessarily required. Even on the off chance I've been get pulled over for it.. each time the cop let me off with a warning, even after having it happen before. On my '08, '14 Vettes.. on my '09, '12 VSeries.. never a plate.

Couldn't get away with that here..Ohio always tickets for non-compliance w/ plate laws..

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

@ccap41 as always U have to come with something..LOL.. to your commentary about how easy it is to "It wouldn't take any time to walk to the truck, grab it out, and screw it in."

Obviously U've never had to do it.. it is not an easy task due to the way the car is angled and the threads hae to be perfectly aligned. That being said.. this tow hook is not a Stock tow hook and the RED portion (HOOK) can actually be left off with the Black portion (shaft) can stay in unnoticed unless one were to get up seriously close and get on their knees to inspect. 

It isn't hard. They're designed to be put in on the spot, in an emergency. There is a little plastic piece on most cars covering the threads that pops off and you screw it in.. 

FYI I corrected it to "trunk" not "truck". 

Yes, I've screwed in a tow hook before.. It only takes a few seconds.

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

It isn't hard. They're designed to be put in on the spot, in an emergency. There is a little plastic piece on most cars covering the threads that pops off and you screw it in.. 

FYI I corrected it to "trunk" not "truck". 

Yes, I've screwed in a tow hook before.. It only takes a few seconds.

How is it relevant that U've screwed a toe hook in few cars but not a C7 CORVETTE? The C7's Tow Hook connection (screw in) both front and rear are very difficult to lign up due to the angle of the vehicle. There are literally videos on Youtube that verify what I say.