Sign in to follow this  
bowtie_dude

Witnessed a suicide today

:unsure:

So me and the wife are 5 miles from our exit to get to our apartment on I-75, when we noticed a pickup on the side of a large bridge. As we pass him my wife gasps and says, "Oh my God, he's gonna jump!" I turned around and sure enough he was standing on the concrete wall on the edge of the bridge, wrapping a jacket around his head. As we pulled off and my wife is dialing 911, I turned around and I watched him fall off the bridge.

Police finally showed up, took our information, and informed us someone from Lexington Metro Police would be in touch for a statement. We just got the call from a homicide detective who took our story. We actually found out we got the better end of the deal, some people were fishing on the river below the bridge and watched him hit the water and were the first to find him afterwards.

He had his mind made up though. He didn't stand there for 20 mins, he was up on the wall and off the bridge in probably 30 seconds. Crazy day. :(

some people, me included, dont understand the value of life...

its sad to see someone waste their life...

Yeah, my wife took it really hard, started crying when we got home.

Wow, that's pretty bad.

The janitor at school committed suicide after a standoff with police. He was always happy and would greet you with a smile and a "what's up?" or "how's it going?" when you came in to school, but apparantly he had some family problems.

wow, that'd be hard to witness.

Try witnessing one with a bunch of dicks around you saying "jump" ... never in my life was I so pissed off...

:nono:

When I was younger, there was this old metal truss bridge on a county highway here that we were approaching. As we passed by, I my mom and I noticed that the guardrail had been smashed through and down at the bottom in the river was a smashed up 80s Camaro. This was before cell phones and all that so we finished driving out to my grandma's house and called the sheriff's department, which informed us that they had already responded to the scene.

In the paper the next day, there was an article about a 20-something year old kid that had commited suicide by driving off the bridge. It's still kinda haunting to drive by that bridge today because I still have memories of that Camaro lying down there in the river bed. I still don't understand why people would rather end it all than try to work things out.

God, that's horrible, bowtie. Suicide is cowardly and selfish, I feel. I hope you guys are able to rationalize the incident soon, something like this has to be hard to get out of your mind.

When you feel it, you'll understand.

BV, not everyone feels it during the course of their life...

... and to those who have never, just understand it makes complete sense at the time. Not that I'm saying it's right. Never thought things would get better when I tried. Granted a lot of the things that bugged me then are still bugging me, medication does wonders for making someone not feel so hopeless 100% of the time. Meds helped it make things seem hopeless 99% of the time--and it was that 1% I needed to battle the thoughts in my mind--to tell myself, "Hey, maybe if this one element in my life is good, there can be other good elements one day?"

The funny thing about my "suicide attempts" is that, I was doing it for the obsessive guilt I felt (guilt brought on by my mind--I didn't do anything wrong)--it was the guilt I felt thinking of all the extra work I'd cause for people if I killed myself, like arranging a funeral, cleaning up the body, etc. Thank God I had a friend who was intelligent to play off my guilt issues.

Bowtie, I'm so sorry you and your wife had to see that.

BV, not everyone feels it during the course of their life...

Ofcourse... but you know what I meant. :P

... and to those who have never, just understand it makes complete sense at the time.  Not that I'm saying it's right.  Never thought things would get better when I tried.  Granted a lot of the things that bugged me then are still bugging me, medication does wonders for making someone not feel so hopeless 100% of the time.  Meds helped it make things seem hopeless 99% of the time--and it was that 1% I needed to battle the thoughts in my mind--to tell myself, "Hey, maybe if this one element in my life is good, there can be other good elements one day?"

The funny thing about my "suicide attempts" is that, I was doing it for the obsessive guilt I felt (guilt brought on by my mind--I didn't do anything wrong)--it was the guilt I felt thinking of all the extra work I'd cause for people if I killed myself, like arranging a funeral, cleaning up the body, etc.  Thank God I had a friend who was intelligent to play off my guilt issues.

Bowtie, I'm so sorry you and your wife had to see that.

:withstupid:

Ofcourse... but you know what I meant. :P

:withstupid:

Great, BV called me stupid, and now I'm going to spiral into another depression :lol:

Okay, maybe a poor time to make a joke, but I think my sense of humor helped me get through some rough times. That, and creativity (you guys should meet "The Force".) :lol:

Sad thing indeed to witness. This is why have to be careful what we say to people in our daily lives and online. You never know who you are talking to and how they will take things. People do not realize the power of their words and the impact they have. That is why they say do not go to bed angry and tell your loved ones how much you love them.

Great, BV called me stupid, and now I'm going to spiral into another depression  :lol:

Okay, maybe a poor time to make a joke, but I think my sense of humor helped me get through some rough times.  That, and creativity (you guys should meet "The Force".)  :lol:

:withstupid: You guys helped me out the most... If it wasn't for some, I might not be here. So: :CG_all:

Depression and mental illness are probably a lot more prevalent than people realize.

The Golden Gate Bridge has had 1200 suicides in its 69 years. There's been controversy about putting up a suicide barrier.

Wow... that's absolutely horrible. :(

God, that's horrible, bowtie.  Suicide is cowardly and selfish, I feel.  I hope you guys are able to rationalize the incident soon, something like this has to be hard to get out of your mind.

Very scary... :(

It would be hard the say that suicide is cowardly though, ocn.

A few years ago I talked a good friend into not committing suicide.

He scared the heck out of me. :(

The reason he planned to do it was beacuse he figured nobody would care.

I would agree with the selfish part....

But I think it would take some serious balls to do it....I couldn't see it as easy.

Yikes, bowtie. Sorry you had to witness that....

Thoughts/prayers for the person that jumped ... and the family and friends that have to deal with this death, too.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html

"Who's gonna hold me tonight?" ... Trace Adkins ... 'Help Me Understand'

Sad thing indeed to witness. This is why have to be careful what we say to people in our daily lives and online. You never know who you are talking to and how they will take things.  People do not realize the power of their words and the impact they have. That is why they say do not go to bed angry and tell your loved ones how much you love them.

But if someone is already that mentally ill and unstable it does not even matter. I remember reading about someone who became extremely depressed and thought his dog hated him because the dog walked past him one morning without being affectionate. Those kinds of thoughts are just mental illness. They are not rational, and therefore cannot be dealt with rationally.

I'm with ocnblu...suicide is cowardly and selfish...it is running away and giving up instead of being a fighter. That said...because of the mental illness aspect, one cannot always hold someone responsible for his/her actions.

I'm sorry to read that you witnessed such an event.

Unless you find yourself in those shoes, it's far too easy to call it cowardly and selfish. I mean no offense; however, knowing firsthand the details of someone's life, and talking them through the course of their depression and suicidal moments, I've realized it takes far more bravery to end their life. The following words were simply meant for me to remember, for a kind of healing reminder. They need not be read if not interested.

One friend ended it with a rifle under his chin. A group of us were to meet for a summer tubing trip down the river. He was to be picked up by his best buddy, and was found in the back yard. This was over fifteen years ago, and it changed all our lives completely. While he did have family troubles, they were common variety. It had been concluded that he suffered escalating psychological issues that were beyond his control. We were too young to understand the inner workings of his mind, or the humerous behavioral traits that turned out to be 'episodes'. In cases like his, rational thought didn't exist for ending his life.

The other was the sister to my best friend. Our families were rather close. A couple years older than us, a gorgeous teenager at the top of her life with her final year in highschool with great grades, a great boyfriend and family. She was found in the garage with the car running. To this day, she took her secret with her as nobody knows what sent her to that decision. Some assumed the possibility that she feared she may have been pregnant; however, the family has always been so loving and caring, it's doubtful she would have feared the prospect, but would have immediately come to the family for support. If the parents did know the truth, they chose to keep it a secret from everyone in order to preserve the memory of her.

When it happens to those you love, that they choose to end their lives, you can't help but feel pained by their decision. At least, we could only wish everyone could face their fears; but when we can't be sure if they even know what they fear to drive them to suicide, we can only speculate and lay judgement.

Edited by ShadowDog

Damn, sorry you and yours had to witness such a sad incident, and I agree, unless youve been close to doing it you can never understand, and its not always something thats easy to overcome. Luckily I never went through with it. I finally understand were here for a reason and giving up on life isnt the answer, but at that moment when you wanna end it all, you dont relize that.

Edited by deftonesfan867

I am going to recuse myself from any further comment because those who have said it are right... unless you feel it or see it firsthand, you just don't know.

When I was 18 and just graduated high school, I went through a period of depression where I was so caught up in worry about my future I could barely function. I didn't see a future away from the safety of my school friends (who unwittingly kept me from having to deal directly with being gay). I was a good student, yet I couldn't afford to go to a good college. I ended up with an AA degree at one community college, and attending another for several semesters in classes I was interested in.

At the height of this, I lost weight because I couldn't eat, I couldn't think straight, I couldn't focus on my farm chores, my gray hair proliferated, and I just didn't know which way to turn. I went to my primary care doctor and told him of my mental and emotional state. The first thing he asked me was... "Are you heterosexual or homosexual?"

:pokeowned:

That perceptive question saved me. Yes, I thought about suicide before going to that doctor, but after that visit, things started to clear up for me. Those words lifted me up so I could see from a different perspective.

All I'm saying is, I was in a bad place, but I won't speculate on the motives of seemingly happy people who end it with little or no warning. It's a sad thing to not know if you could have helped, I'm sure.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook