Mercedez Benz News Mercedes-Benz E-Class getting more powerful base engine

The 2020 E-Class is moving to a new base engine and at the same time, changing the base designation from E300 to E350.  The updated 2.0-liter turbo-charged 4-cylinder makes slightly (14) more horsepower at 255 than the outgoing engine, and the torque stays the same at 273 lb-ft.  C&D tested the old E300 and found the zero to 60 mph time to be lackluster at 6.5 second.  The new engine shaves half a second off the C300 4Matic and could make similar improvements in the E350. Power is routed through a 9-speed automatic. Mercedes 4Matic can be ordered for an additional $2,500.

Along with the engine change comes a base price increase of $550.   

View full article

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

So taxi fares will increase since the base engine cost increased. :D 

Taxis in Europe use diesels anyway, besides it is rare now to see E-class as a taxi anywhere except Germany. 

8 minutes ago, ykX said:

besides it is rare now to see E-class as a taxi anywhere except Germany. 

Nope.

Greece uses E Class for Taxis too...

E Class...is like a Chevy when optioned out like one...

In fact, a Chevy Impala LTZ or Premier, is better equipped,  has a more luxurious interior than a mid tier E Class...

They do sell bare bones E Class in Greece...

I do not know about the rest of Europe including Germany, but Ive  seen 2018 E Class taxis  in Greece first hand last year...

Edited by oldshurst442

I said they are rare now, I didn't say they don't exist.

Many more mid-size Skoda, Renault, Peugeot and other European cars are now taxis than E-class.

Besides, I don't know why are you guys are looking down on the fact that E-class was used as a taxi.  Taxis get beaten like cr@p, and the fact E-class was prefered by taxi drivers for many years just seems like a compliment than anything else.  Same as Crown Vics were used for many years by taxis and cops and are known for the durability.

Edited by ykX
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ykX said:

Many more mid-size Skoda, Renault, Peugeot and other European cars are now taxis than E-class.

Besides, I don't know why are you guys are looking down on the fact that E-class was used as a taxi.  Taxis get beaten like cr@p, and the fact E-class was prefered by taxi drivers for many years just seems like a compliment than anything else.  Same as Crown Vics were used for many years by taxis and cops and are known for the durability.

Not rare. Not in Greece.

E Class Taxis are preferred. 

Yes, like you said. Durable. Nothing wrong with that.

But...when North American badge snobs try to snub Chevrolets and Fords BECAUSE of their high livery services, I tend to give the same argument back regarding German so called luxury vehicles.

An E Class in Europe is no different that an Epsilon Impala.

The equivalent E Class of the 1970s and 1980s was no different than a RWD B Body Impala/Caprice/Bel Air.

If you could live with that comparison and reality, we all good. If not, maybe you are the problem and not me....  (Please keep in mind that when I say "you", I mean it in a general way, not YOU personally...)

28 minutes ago, ykX said:

Not beating on the E-Class for taxi duty... that makes it durable.  But a certain someone likes to point out how many e-classes are sold each year in comparison to a certain domestic luxury brand that doesn't build vehicles for taxi duty, and if they did, would get raked over the coals for it. 

It's merely pointing out the double standard of that certain someone. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Well, an E Class rakes the XTS over the coals anyway... The respective work-duty vehicles for those brands. 

Well at $59,900, the 2020 CT6 comes with a V6 base and rakes the E-class over the coals in space and comfort. 

There is no 2020 XTS. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Hello! Anybody home?!? *knock knock* 

Their respective rental/loaner/fleet vehicles. 

Doesn't change things.  XTS is a dead Merlette. 
IF Cadillac continues rental fleet sales, it will be with the CT6, with a much more powerful V6 and more space. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Hello! Anybody home?!? *knock knock* 

Their respective rental/loaner/fleet vehicles. 

Hello? Anybody actually listening? Your comment was irrelevant since the XTS is no longer and the CT6 is better than the fleet queen E Class I’m so many ways. 

Stop being a sensitive Sandy about it 😎

Edited by surreal1272

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

As of right this very second the XTS is still listed for sale on Cadillac's website. It is still being produced for another few months. 

Doesn’t matter. It is done. There is no 2020 and that’s just the fact of the matter. The CT6 will probably pick up in fleet numbers as a result. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

It is still 2019 and it is still for sale and it is still being produced. I'm confused how that can even be a disagreement. 

I'd assume production has ended by now... it's late June. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

It is still 2019 and it is still for sale and it is still being produced. I'm confused how that can even be a disagreement. 

Because you’re splitting hairs in an attempt to show how much better the E Class is than the XTS. That’s not even up for debate. Yes, the E Class is better than the XTS but not really better than the CT6 that will continue to be sold. That “will continue to be sold” part is the key part of this. The only one confused about that appears to be you. 

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

I'd assume production has ended by now... it's late June. 

October. 

Just now, surreal1272 said:

Because you’re splitting hairs in an attempt to show how much better the E Class is than the XTS. That’s not even up for debate. Yes, the E Class is better than the XTS but not really better than the CT6 that will continue to be sold. That “will continue to be sold” part is the key part of this. The only one confused about that appears to be you. 

Go on, continue to argue.. Nothing new here. 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Because this article is about the 2020 E-Class which is not yet for sale. There will be like 3 months of production overlap.  Why are you insisting on comparing a new vehicle to something that already has an end date announced.

But if you insist... the XTS STILL has a more powerful engine at a substantially lower price than the E-Class. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

October. 

Go on, continue to argue.. Nothing new here. 

You were the one splitting hairs and making irrelevant comparisons to a discontinued car. I’ve made my point and I’ll stand by it. 

3 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

So with the XTS going away, are they going to offer the CT6 or Escalade for hearse/funeral home limo conversions? 

If they haven’t considered it they should. Cadillac has a long history in that market and it should really keep that position. 

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Just leave it alone.

34 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Because this article is about the 2020 E-Class which is not yet for sale. There will be like 3 months of production overlap.  Why are you insisting on comparing a new vehicle to something that already has an end date announced.

But if you insist... the XTS STILL has a more powerful engine at a substantially lower price than the E-Class. 

And the 2020 E Class isn't a a taxi car yet either. 

More powerful with more overhangs as well. 

Thank god that abomination of a luxury car is over and done with in October. 

35 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

You were the one splitting hairs and making irrelevant comparisons to a discontinued car. I’ve made my point and I’ll stand by it. 

real housewives of new york omg GIF

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

And the 2020 E Class isn't a a taxi car yet either

More powerful with more overhangs as well. 

Thank god that abomination of a luxury car is over and done with in October. 

real housewives of new york omg GIF

Do you seriously think that they won’t continue to supply the taxi industry with more just because it’s a 2020 model? You have split that hair into oblivion at this point. (Stupid GIF aside)

Edited by surreal1272

Mercedes is staying in the taxi cab market for a long while.  It's that volume that keeps the lights on and the only way Mercedes can survive. 

Cadillac doesn't need to build for the taxi market.... Chevy can do that.  (though local taxis seem to have gone Nissan/Hyundai)

• Agree 2

Fact is that Mercedes will continue to get away with selling a sizeable portion of the “best or nothing” to the fleet buyers while brands like Cadillac would catch never ending hell for doing such things. Like Drew alluded to, MB would be in the financial doghouse if not for the taxi buying folks. 

Interesting Story, Sales of the XTS have done very well and surpassed last years sales and are the only one of the 6 models being killed this 2019 year that has sales up when the other 5 are down. XTS Ends Production of 2019 models at the end of Q4 2019 or Dec 31st 2019.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/these-6-gm-vehicles-are-ending-production

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Interesting Story, Sales of the XTS have done very well and surpassed last years sales and are the only one of the 6 models being killed this 2019 year that has sales up when the other 5 are down. XTS Ends Production of 2019 models at the end of Q4 2019 or Dec 31st 2019.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/these-6-gm-vehicles-are-ending-production

A lot of fire sale and fleet sales on those, would be the main reasons for that. Don’t want any left on the lot after this year. 

3 hours ago, ykX said:

Escalade-Hearse-Conversion-2.JPG

I see your Caddy Hearse and raise you a Navigator Hearse

See the source image

Found a New 2016 White Version for sale: https://specialtyhearse.com/hearse/2016-cadillac-escalade-metropolitan-conversion/

IMG_3664.jpg

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

That Navigator looks soooooo bad. 

With or without the hearse part, that was an ugly generation. 

Yup, Not sure why the jellybean smooth style was so popular, still hate auto's like that for the most part.

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well at $59,900, the 2020 CT6 comes with a V6 base and rakes the E-class over the coals in space and comfort. 

There is no 2020 XTS. 

But there might not be a 2021 CT6, and there will be a 2021 E-class.

As far as taxi duty goes, these E-classes run forever just like how they used Crown Vics for taxis because they could go 300,000 miles and take a beating.  And taxi companies wouldn't buy a CTS or CT5 because 1, they'd break down too much and fall apart after 100k miles, and 2 the back seat is too small.

And they should have stuck with he E300 name since the C300 has the same engine.  And save E350 in case they wanted to do a 300 hp turbo 4, which I doubt they would, when you have 2 inline sixes to pick from, and a V8.  Don't really need two 4-cylinder options.

Edited by smk4565
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

And taxi companies wouldn't buy a CTS or CT5 because 1, they'd break down too much and fall apart after 100k miles, and 2 the back seat is too small.

BS, you have NO PROOF that the CTS or CT5 Breaks down allot after 100,000 miles.

I see plenty of Broken ass E-Class cars around Seattle on flatbeds or traditional tow trucks. So what is the reason there? MB doing Break down QA Testing? 🙄

Based on a 2015 comparison, I would say it is a tie!

image.png

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

But there might not be a 2021 CT6, and there will be a 2021 E-class.

As far as taxi duty goes, these E-classes run forever just like how they used Crown Vics for taxis because they could go 300,000 miles and take a beating.

Moot point as the CT6 will not be sold to be used as taxis.

This is neither a good thing nor a bad thing.

The E Class as a taxi is neither a good thing nor a bad thing.

Its just a thing. 

But...you seem to take pleasure for saying its a rugged vehicle this E Class, yet you get your panties in a twist when somebody says that the E Class is like a Chevy Caprice...

In THIS case..YOU yourself compare it to Ford Crown Vic...

Dont tell me, that Mercedes Benz sells a "ton" more "luxury" vehicles than Cadillac then...

Because YOU cant have it both ways...

An E Class taxi is NOT a luxury car....Its a Ford Crown Vic.

A North American 60 000 dollar E Class is like a Lincoln Town Car...

The difference is that in Europe...Mercedes (E Class) is sold like  a Ford, a Mercury and a Lincoln all into one model as where in North America, the E Class is like a Mercury and Lincoln.

In North America...FoMoCo had  3 brands....Ford, Mercury and Lincoln.  3 models on 1 platform doing what the E Class does...

Ford Crown Vic 

Mercury Grand Marquis

Lincoln Town Car 

Your arguments always mish mash the reality of things...

Mercedes does sell a lot of cars.   Its just that all those cars are not ALL luxury...  

In the 1980s...the S Class equivalent was ALSO sold like a Chevrolet and Ford in Europe...

Yeah...we could do GM in this too.

Chevrolet Bel Air/Impala/Caprice

Pontiac Parisienne

Oldsmobile Delta 88/98

Buick Le Sabre

Cadillac Fleetwood

Mercedes bunches up all those sales...because in fact, its one model for the whole world, but we think that because in North America, an E Class AMG is for sale....we think that ALL E Class sold all over the world are of the AMG version...

But GM and Ford dont bunch up all their platform mates sales...because different models....logical...

But when we say that Ford or Chevy sold 200 000 Crown Vic or Caprices, we NEVER think to add another 50/60/70 thousand to that tally for their respective platform mates.  

And THIS is where MY argument comes into play...where I mention that an E Class outside of North America is like a Chevy Caprice in Europe and the proud Mercedes/BMW/Audi lover bets his panties in a twist...

So...I repeat...

What is your point?

That an E Class is rugged?

It sure is.

But in North America, the luxury version...the one with all the electronics....not so much...

Was a Caprice of the 1980s rugged?

You bet your ass it was!!!

Same for the Fleetwood...

The Fleetwood was deemed to old fogey by some folk that resembled YOUR type of mindset...that American cars suck...

Hence why you are on pushing the E Class is rugged  argument in THIS thread. 

I dont doubt it one bit.   But the E Class that is sold as luxury, has its problems....

A taxi in Greece, not so many problems...maybe...

But the E Class in North America is not sold as a taxi now is it?  Prolly have less problems if it was sold only as a taxi...maybe...

But what is it?

Is the E Class a luxury car or is it a taxi?  Is it both?

Ill let you decide that on your own...but please, in the near future...please refrain from having double standards...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Moot point as the CT6 will not be sold to be used as taxis.

This is neither a good thing nor a bad thing.

The E Class as a taxi is neither a good thing nor a bad thing.

Its just a thing. 

But...you seem to take pleasure for saying its a rugged vehicle this E Class, yet you get your panties in a twist when somebody says that the E Class is like a Chevy Caprice...

The E-class could probably take an F150 off road, it is that rugged.  And Mercedes built this in house so it counts.  And that is why it is best luxury sedan, if it is tough enough to do this, it can handle mundane daily activities.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by smk4565

3 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The E-class could probably take an F150 Raptor off road, it is that rugged.  And Mercedes built this in house so it counts.  And that is why it is best luxury sedan, if it is tough enough to do this, it can handle mundane daily activities.

spacer.png

But that is the All-Terrain Concept NOT an E-Class.

We all know that MB never builds their concepts.

So this is VAPOR WARE!

11 minutes ago, dfelt said:

But that is the All-Terrain Concept NOT an E-Class.

We all know that MB never builds their concepts.

So this is VAPOR WARE!

Not even a concept, they just let the engineers build it for fun with G-wagen 4x4 Squared parts.  

They did build the EQ concept crossover, the S-class cabriolet concept, the Ener G-force concept is the GLB, the Maybach SUV is coming next year, the AMG GT Concept is the GT 4-door, so they are building a good number of concepts. 

On 6/18/2019 at 7:45 PM, smk4565 said:

The E-class could probably take an F150 off road, it is that rugged.  And Mercedes built this in house so it counts.  And that is why it is best luxury sedan, if it is tough enough to do this, it can handle mundane daily activities.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And this folks is why you don’t post while drunk. 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:05 PM, smk4565 said:

Not even a concept, they just let the engineers build it for fun with G-wagen 4x4 Squared parts.  

They did build the EQ concept crossover, the S-class cabriolet concept, the Ener G-force concept is the GLB, the Maybach SUV is coming next year, the AMG GT Concept is the GT 4-door, so they are building a good number of concepts. 

The key word is “concept”. Lots of companies do it but few concepts ever make it to actual production. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

On 6/18/2019 at 10:45 PM, smk4565 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I see nothing in those images that a Buick Encore couldn't do.....

hqdefault.jpg

Opel-Mokka-4X4__134819.jpg

and that modified E-Class is as about relevent to the market as this modified Mokka.

opel_mokka_rally_raid_04.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1