Nissan News: 2020 Nissan Versa Pricing Released

The Nissan Versa once held the dubious title of being the cheapest new car you could buy.  Now, with the all new 2020 Nissan Versa, Nissan hopes to bring the sub-compact a little bit more premium and with that the Versa goes up in price.   Now coming only in a sedan (The Kicks has replaced the Versa Note), the Versa wears one of the more stylish exteriors for the sub-compact class. The engine is a next generation 1.6 liter 4-cylinder, with an increase in horsepower to 122.  Fuel economy is rated at 32 city / 40 highway / 35 combined. 

Those of you who prefer to row your own gears instead of letting Nissan's CVT do it are limited to buying the base model Versa S, starting at $14,730. Above that, all models come with the CVT.

Model/Engine/Transmission

Versa S 1.6 5MT

$14,730 USD

Versa S 1.6 Xtronic

$16,400 USD

Versa SV 1.6 Xtronic

$17,640 USD

Versa SR 1.6 Xtronic

$18,240 USD

Destination and Handling $895.

These prices are roughly a $2,000 increase over the current car. But you do get a lot more for your money.   Nissan Safety Shield 360 is standard on the SV and SR. Available equipment includes heated front seats, 60/40-split fold-down rear seat, and Automatic Climate Control, bigger wheels, and intelligent cruise control. 

The 2020 Nissan Versa is available at dealerships soon. 

View full article

7 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Versa has a nicer interior than Kicks.

Versa is cheaper than Rogue by a significant amount 

Ah but all those used  rogues for sale on the enterprise lots across this great land

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Makes a nice out of college starter vehicle. :metal:

Actually an office I worked at just a short few years ago had hired a tech school grad and he bought a new Versa with his first job. It was almost his only new option and he was driving to work 40+ miles one way a day. And wasn’t getting paid a lot. The versa was an extremely smart move for him.  New car warranty. Great mpg. And establish good credit with a loan.  I do think versa is a good choice for that purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, regfootball said:

Ah but all those used  rogues for sale on the enterprise lots across this great land

Actually an office I worked at just a short few years ago had hired a tech school grad and he bought a new Versa with his first job. It was almost his only new option and he was driving to work 40+ miles one way a day. And wasn’t getting paid a lot. The versa was an extremely smart move for him.  New car warranty. Great mpg. And establish good credit with a loan.  I do think versa is a good choice for that purpose. 

So true. 'Ode to my days in 2010 selling Nissans...and Sentra SR/SV's being the "it looks nice, and Nissan will approve me on my first loan" car of choice.

Cheaper cars with features. Not a bad move. Even if the Nissan long term quality starts to fall apart, by then, you're ready to graduate to your next ride.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, caddycruiser said:

So true. 'Ode to my days in 2010 selling Nissans...and Sentra SR/SV's being the "it looks nice, and Nissan will approve me on my first loan" car of choice.

Cheaper cars with features. Not a bad move. Even if the Nissan long term quality starts to fall apart, by then, you're ready to graduate to your next ride.

A single mom I know has a Sentra, it was a bigger compact for her and her kids and that was what she could get a good payment on.

We rip Nissan for being fleets and cheaper cars but they do move a lot of units that way they otherwise would not.  It's quite arguable to me whether that actually tanks their value.  I think their vehicles sell new based on what they offer vs the competition.  People still love the Rogue, they like the Altimas and stuff, and Nissan although not keeping them bleeding edge they still keep the cars current (unlike say Mitsubishi).  You can still look at Hondas and Toyotas and go look at a Nissan and it seems just as current and capable.  All of the rental and lease returns serve the secondary '3 year old used' market pretty well.  Face it, if you can't foot for a 23,000 new Altima then a 3 year old Altima for 14-15 grand is not a bad option.

Nissan would not survive in the US trying to upscale their cars.  Look at what happened when VW tried to do that.  Now, VW has become purveyors of cheap rides and lease whores with the best of them.  Look at Mazda, they are on the path to becoming irrelevant in the market because they think their prior enthusiast cred means they can charge more money for something like an unexciting new MAzda3 which got beat by the 2020 Corolla in a Motor Trend test lately.  MAzda fanbois whine about 'they are taking away the manuals' and no one buys manuals anymore.  Mazdas cred was by also being a good value for the money and Mazda is forgetting that.  Nissan would be the same thing.  Apart from the MAxima which is a dying segment, no one wants to pay a lot more for a Nissan compared to a Honda, Toyota...etc.  Honda still benefits from the Acura brand as being the purveyor of tarted up Hondas which is why Honda can stay its own path and keep their prices good all around.

The massive auto MSRP race to the top is going to crash soon, and cars like the Sentra, Altima etc will still need to be in the market to fill the void.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, regfootball said:

A single mom I know has a Sentra, it was a bigger compact for her and her kids and that was what she could get a good payment on.

We rip Nissan for being fleets and cheaper cars but they do move a lot of units that way they otherwise would not.  It's quite arguable to me whether that actually tanks their value.  I think their vehicles sell new based on what they offer vs the competition.  People still love the Rogue, they like the Altimas and stuff, and Nissan although not keeping them bleeding edge they still keep the cars current (unlike say Mitsubishi).  You can still look at Hondas and Toyotas and go look at a Nissan and it seems just as current and capable.  All of the rental and lease returns serve the secondary '3 year old used' market pretty well.  Face it, if you can't foot for a 23,000 new Altima then a 3 year old Altima for 14-15 grand is not a bad option.

Nissan would not survive in the US trying to upscale their cars.  Look at what happened when VW tried to do that.  Now, VW has become purveyors of cheap rides and lease whores with the best of them.  Look at Mazda, they are on the path to becoming irrelevant in the market because they think their prior enthusiast cred means they can charge more money for something like an unexciting new MAzda3 which got beat by the 2020 Corolla in a Motor Trend test lately.  MAzda fanbois whine about 'they are taking away the manuals' and no one buys manuals anymore.  Mazdas cred was by also being a good value for the money and Mazda is forgetting that.  Nissan would be the same thing.  Apart from the MAxima which is a dying segment, no one wants to pay a lot more for a Nissan compared to a Honda, Toyota...etc.  Honda still benefits from the Acura brand as being the purveyor of tarted up Hondas which is why Honda can stay its own path and keep their prices good all around.

The massive auto MSRP race to the top is going to crash soon, and cars like the Sentra, Altima etc will still need to be in the market to fill the void.

Better reason of why all of what you said is true: Hyundai/KIA.

11 hours ago, regfootball said:

Agreed. Add the to the fact they put cash on the hoods, it ends up being a good value. When the Economy does tank, folks won’t be laughing at Nissan ant more.....

On 8/3/2019 at 3:40 PM, riviera74 said:

Better reason of why all of what you said is true: Hyundai/KIA.

Yes,

imagine all the possible Ford GM and Chrysler buyers that may be left if Hyundai Kia never made deft inroads on the market, and if GM figured out how to sell more cars while still being profitable.

On 8/3/2019 at 12:09 PM, regfootball said:

Look at Mazda, they are on the path to becoming irrelevant in the market because they think their prior enthusiast cred means they can charge more money for something like an unexciting new MAzda3 which got beat by the 2020 Corolla in a Motor Trend test lately. 

I don't even know how that is possible.  The Mazda 3 interior is leagues better, the engine is smoother, the drive more interesting....

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't even know how that is possible.  The Mazda 3 interior is leagues better, the engine is smoother, the drive more interesting....

And it still sells worse than its Japanese competitors in the same class.

The Civic I understand, but the Corolla I just can't get behind.  It's slow, it doesn't handles particularly well, and the interior is cheap cheap cheap.  If you're autocrossing your compact commuter, I can see how the rear suspension might be an issue.... but if you're just buying it as a commuter car, the Mazda 3 is the better choice just for the interior alone.  

2 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Mazda slammed the roofline and got rid of side glass the hatch roof is a head slicer it’s so low. Useless back seat. I think at the end of the day the corolla has a more commodious interior and that trumps nicer plastic. 

If size matters, they should have included the new Jetta in there and then it would have won over the Corolla. 

On 8/5/2019 at 10:56 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

If size matters, they should have included the new Jetta in there and then it would have won over the Corolla. 

They ripped mazda to moving to a beam suspension was the deal.

The Toyota's suspension still managed to control the body during aggressive driving, but it didn't feel as confident or as fun as the Civic's.

"The suspension was OK until I ran over a couple abrupt road imperfections," Gale said. "Then you really felt and heard them. The real issue with this model is tire noise. Yes, those wheels are hot, but that might get old if you don't turn up your music loud enough."

Mazda's move to ditch the independent rear suspension has been a gossip topic in the auto industry, but the key question remains: Is it still fun to drive? The Mazda3's 2.5-liter engine is pretty robust and hasn't really changed much since the previous generation. The transmission also feels jerky when driving at low speeds. But our biggest critique was—you guessed it—the new torsion-beam suspension, which dramatically changed the driving dynamics on twisty roads and broken pavement.

"Moving to a torsion beam detracted from the car," Ogbac said. "It has a good ride on glass-smooth surfaces, but it feels less sophisticated than before and loses composure once it has to deal with successive imperfections." Example: The rear end bounced sharply side to side when driving over a midcorner bump.

@regfootball your moving the goal posts.  First you said it was the suspension, then you said it was interior room, now you're back to suspension again.

Again, that isn't something the typical commuter car buyer is going to notice. It's also not a symptom limited solely to torsion beam suspensions. I still cannot get behind the opinion that the Corolla is a more engaging drive than a 3 torsion beam or now.  I've driven them both.. back to back. The 3 is a much nicer place to sit, and much more engaging drive than the Corolla. 

22 minutes ago, regfootball said:

I forget, it’s the 2020 corolla here. I can’t recall if you’ve driven that. 

My experience driving all mazdas is they are not as good as the buff books always say.  They have some nicer interiors these days.  

No, they're not a poor-man's BMW like the buff books say, but they are almost always better than their direct competition in their respective classes. The current Civic is the possible exception.  Yes, I've driven a 2020 Corolla and Corolla hybrid at the same event as I drove a Mazda 3 Hatch with AWD.  If interior room is the important factor, then head over to VW and try a new Jetta, it's nearly a mid-size in there. 

• Agree 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:10 AM, ccap41 said:

I've heard from multiple people on multiple new Mazdas that they fit tighter than their exterior seems. 

i tried them on for size at the auto show, they are super tight, the 3 keeps getting smaller.  NFW i would look at a Mazda3, the Civic, Jetta make way more sense.  The only reason to get a mazda would be the nicer interior digs or if you like the styling at this point.  Shit, buy a GTI if you want a performer.  Or a used A3.

Edited by regfootball
  • Like 1