More Lacrosse "Super" Info

jbartley

I have a feeling that I'll be somewhat disappointed when this comes out. When you consider the fact that it's only an exterior and interior freshening (probably the new GM radio and some more plastic wood) and a horsepower boost of a very bland vehicle that is sits on an outdated platform which suffers from poor driving dynamics. One can only hope that the Epsilon II replacement will come before 2011 considering we really are not hearing too much about it.

Maybe then, under Lutz’s full guidance, the next Lacrosse will be competitive and up to par with Buick of China’s standards. Wait... did I just say that?

Oh, let us end the attacks on Josh. However, Josh needs to make an effort to keep some of his opinions and complaints to himself. Show a little restraint. If you do not, you know that the members involved will only continue.

Edited by Cadillacfan

I have a feeling that I'll be somewhat disappointed when this comes out.  When you consider the fact that it's only an exterior and interior freshening (probably the new GM radio and some more plastic wood) and a horsepower boost of a very bland vehicle that is sits on an outdated platform which suffers from poor driving dynamics.  One can only hope that the Epsilon II replacement will come before 2011 considering we really are not hearing too much about it.

Well, let's face it now--any way you slice it, it's not going to drum up major excitement. Will it be an improvement? I'm sure it will. Will it be revolutionary? No way. Will it be identical to the Monte/Impy SS, GP GXP? No, but not far off. I can't imagine them doing anything so drastic it making the car, well, "cool". Nor can I must up a "wow".

How could it be an MCE when 2008 is the last year for the LaCrosse and Grand Prix? That was announced as part of GM's restructuring in November, that they were closing Oshawa #2 in 2008, when the current product finished its lifecycle.

The LaCrosse gets an MCE for the 2008 model year. There will be a 2009 model year as well... probably a short production run in 2008 before they close the plant down.

IIRC, the EpsII-based LaCrosse is a 2010 Model Year vehicle coming out in 2009.

So the MCE will have two model years of production. There shouldn't be much of a gap (if any) between the current & NG LaCrosse.

I guess the MCE for 2008 makes sense... the Rendezvous and Rainier will be gone in 2008, so the entire lineup (sans Terraza), will have the new Buick grille.

I remember AH-HA saying that Reserve and Super would become future trim level designations for Buick-what's your bets? Mine are that the 3800 V-6 dies; CXS becomes the Reserve (and hopefully adds cloth upholstery and a front split-bench seat standard with leather and/or buckets no-charge), that would quickly boost Buick's upscale credibility-and also, cut the price on the existing CXS when that happens, add 15 (minimum) hp for 255hp to that 3.6-liter DOHC HF V-6 engine, maybe a 6-speed OD automatic transmission once that 2010 redesign rolls around. The Super sounds interesting, but a rear end tweak should also be in order-see Rendezvous and Signia concept for ideal taillamps. But alas, the redesign probably can't come soon enough.

Pauli, Look at the top of the LaCrosse Super's grille. It's not an upright waterfall grille; it kinks toward the top and heads back into the hood. The shape is even less of an oval. The top corners flare out more while it comes to a subtle point at the bottom.

Will a tamer version of this general shape be grafted onto the LaCrosse/Allure CX and CXL next MY? I certainly hope so. Or will it happen in 2008?

Also, regarding engines, I put some stock in what that one guy who comes out of the blue and makes these long well-informed technical posts says. The engine line-up (except for the Super) will stay the same through 2008 to match the flow of the model changes. After 2008, when there's a revamp, the drivetrain combos will change as well. Seems logical.

All that chrome isn't standard--only the door handles and around the windows--one must pay for it and order the optional package:

Chrome Appearance Package, includes front and rear chrome fascia inserts, bodyside molding and chrome inserts

Am I the only one that thinks the LaCrosse looks WAY better WITHOUT the optional chrome appearance package?

I think the car with the standard chrome door handles and around the greenhouse is the right amount of chrome....and I particularly like the body-colored bumper and bodyside moldings....even on an upscale CXS.

Am I the only one that thinks the LaCrosse looks WAY better WITHOUT the optional chrome appearance package?

No. I think it looks pimpy. Kind of like those Cadillacs that are customized with tacky chromy $h! and there's an add to the sticker of $ 4,000. K.I.S.S. - keep it simple, stupid. It's about right how it is. I do prefer the body color door handles, though.

I still wish I could get an answer to the 3800 base engine above through, and including, what year? 2007? 2008? Beyond?

I'm not digging the "Super" title. Sounds like something Hyundai or Kia would slap on some tarted up sedans of their own.

I'd rather see GNX, Grand National, just something with more oomph, more mwhaha sounding.

The thing is "Grand National" refered to NASCAR Regals back in the 80's. No LaCrosses in NASCAR now.

GS has been played out by the older W bodies, unfortunately. Ultra sounds like the women's make up brand Ulta.

Super is from the time when Buicks were premium cars, and some are 'collector cars'.

I'm not digging the "Super" title. Sounds like something Hyundai or Kia would slap on some tarted up sedans of their own.

Agreed. Super is cheesy. It does a disservice to the "premium" niche Buick is supposed to occupy.

Agreed.  Super is cheesy.  It does a disservice to the "premium" niche Buick is supposed to occupy.

Man, whats wrong with you guys? Super is Buick! It's way better than the letters they pulled out of the air now for Buick. CX, CXL, CXS... that's cheesy. Insignificant lettering is the cheesy thing. I can understand if Super wasn't a historic name for Buick. You should be thankful they're finally using their heritage a bit to help sell their vehicles instead of washing everything away that reminded us of a Buick before 2000.

If Kia or someone similar used Super that WOULD be cheesy, there is no significance for them... but Kia or any of them don't even use any words similar to Super so I don't even know where that basis comes from. It's definitely a good thing Buick is finally drawing from their heritage.

Man, whats wrong with you guys? Super is Buick! It's way better than the letters they pulled out of the air now for Buick. CX, CXL, CXS... that's cheesy. Insignificant lettering is the cheesy thing. I can understand if Super wasn't a historic name for Buick. You should be thankful they're finally using their heritage a bit to help sell their vehicles instead of washing everything away that reminded us of a Buick before 2000.

If Kia or someone similar used Super that WOULD be cheesy, there is no significance for them... but Kia or any of them don't even use any words similar to Super so I don't even know where that basis comes from. It's definitely a good thing Buick is finally drawing from their heritage.

Fine, it's historical, but can it at least be designated by maybe a special letter "S" on the car and not the full word "Super"? I don't know if I'd like my top trim beast of a car to say "Super" all over it. It just sounds geeky.

"I'm super, thanks for asking!"

Fine, it's historical, but can it at least be designated by maybe a special letter "S" on the car and not the full word "Super"?  I don't know if I'd like my top trim beast of a car to say "Super" all over it.  It just sounds geeky.

"I'm super, thanks for asking!"

Any Buick with the Super tag attached will not a be a Buick worthy of being made fun of. It's going to be a top-of-the-line Buick and it'll be the most powerful Buick in over a decade. When it comes to cars with the "Super" name it's a totally seperate context from when Big Gay Al from South Park says it. When you tell people you have a LaCrosse Super the first thing they'll notice is that it's not a cheap car. It's not going to have 15 inch hubcaps with cloth seats with no CD player or something- I can see people start making fun of it then... but chances are your LaCrosse or Lucerne Super will be better than their car so let them make fun of a classic name.

Try saying it like "LaCrosse Super" instead of "LaCrosse Thuper" and there should be no mistakes between the two.

Any Buick with the Super tag attached will not a be a Buick worthy of being made fun of. It's going to be a top-of-the-line Buick and it'll be the most powerful Buick in over a decade. When it comes to cars with the "Super" name it's a totally seperate context from when Big Gay Al from South Park says it. When you tell people you have a LaCrosse Super the first thing they'll notice is that it's not a cheap car. It's not going to have 15 inch hubcaps with cloth seats with no CD player or something- I can see people start making fun of it then... but chances are your LaCrosse or Lucerne Super will be better than their car so let them make fun of a classic name.

Try saying it like "LaCrosse Super" instead of "LaCrosse Thuper" and there should be no mistakes between the two.

Don't build the LaCrosse Super up to be something we know it's not going to be. It's another W-Body with the same 5.3L V8 found in 3 OTHER W-Bodies.

Oh, and the base LaCrosse doesn't even come with 15" wheelcovers.

So, this "Super" will get 18s.... something that should have been available from the start being that all pictures we saw before the car was produced had 18s on them.

Fine, it's historical, but can it at least be designated by maybe a special letter "S" on the car and not the full word "Super"?  I don't know if I'd like my top trim beast of a car to say "Super" all over it.  It just sounds geeky.

No. No, P. The "S" has always been the entry-level, economy moniker for so many cars over the years.

I'm just looking for something COMPLETELY different and new for this sled.

No. No, P.  The "S" has always been the entry-level, economy moniker for so many cars over the years.

I'm just looking for something COMPLETELY different and new for this sled.

"S" is the moniker for Audi's sporty version. The S4, S6, etc.

If it's going to be called Super, I just don't want it all over the car written in script. Maybe once on the trunk, once on the interior--maybe the dash. Maybe you can have it on the door sills, but dear God, not everywhere.

"S" is overused, like the Corolla S, big deal.

But, I argee not Super badges all over. Just a small tag on the rear.

And again, Super goes back to when Buick was an upscale brand and no Toyotas were sold. So, it should be used.

Agree on first sentence.

Disagee on the balance.

Super may have been cool when it went with upscale in its own era. Now, it would remind me of a chick in roller skates coming up to your car to bring you french fries and a shake. I am waiting for the end of retro.

?

1992 was 14 years ago!

Sounds like you are slighting MY car, PB.

I have fiscal restraint. Sounds like Paulie does too (he drives a 92, if I'm not mistaken). As much as I love cars, they are a bad investment. I'll pop for one when I'm ready.