More Lacrosse "Super" Info

jbartley

from Autoweek.com

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...24/TOC01ARCHIVE

"About this time next year, Buick will roll out a more powerful LaCrosse dubbed Super. The four-door, front-drive midsize sedan will be powered by the same 5.3-liter, 303-hp V8 found in the Chevrolet Impala SS. The Super features a bolder version of the signature Buick grille and a larger, chrome-trimmed rear bumper along with a more luxurious interior. Other upgrades include standard 18-inch alloy wheels, four-wheel ventilated disc brakes and MagneRide suspension. GM says 0 to 60 mph will be less than 6.0 seconds."

Nothing we didn't already know, but it sounds like (hopefully) the LaCrosse "Super" is getting a new, enhanced interior. And it'll be MY08.

Now if they price it right, it'll be a hit. :scratchchin:

Now, I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but as often as I am chastized for the Outlook debacle, you gotta give credit where it's due relating to the initial leak of the Super.

Don't worry about it, Josh. When you go all-out you're bound to scatter some buckshot. Just think of all the wrong $h! that gets published in bigtime car magazines all the time.

Now, I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but as often as I am chastized for the Outlook debacle, you gotta give credit where it's due relating to the initial leak of the Super.

I think you shouldn't worry what anyone here gives you credit for. Your words will ultimately speak for themselves, and I mean that in a good way.

WOW! How shocking, a w-body getting the 5.3L V8!  Must have taken a brilliant person with all sorts of GM connections to figure that was going to happen, since there were already 2 on the market.

3?

Monte Carlo, Impala, Grand Prix

They're going to be as different as possible without returning to division-specific engines, which we all know ain't gonna happen on a large scale. This car will be Special, no, it will be Super. The last Roadmaster had an LT1, not a Nailhead. It was still all Buick.

TOOT TOOT!! What's that I hear? Why, it's the Josh E. Oliver horn a-tooting! :rolleyes:

I don't like that only the Super gets the exterior facelift.

I'm still curious about that myself. We'll see if the entire LaCrosse line-up doesn't eventually benefit from it. It could still happen.

Well, I did a search before (unfortunately the search option is hanging and I can't get the quote now), but someone in the previous forum said something about all trims sharing the same "Velite-inspired" grille by 2008, with the Super having a specific grille (more aggressive, sporty). This makes sense--the spyshot of the grille we saw had thick vertical bars and a lattice mesh in the background. It's just a shame this couldn't have happened for 2007--it's not like it hasn't been done 3 times before on the same body with the same engine and transmission... what's the holdup? <_<

EDIT: typo, my "u" key stuck.

Edited by Paolino

A mesh grille and drug dealer wheels would make it quite hip. In many ways, a blinged out LaCrosse reminds me of the old Jag XKR.

Problem is, it reminds you of something "old". We need more "new" for Buick. Enclave will do that well :)

I thought a little more on why the LaCrosse Super was pushed out to 2008 instead of having a 2007 debut.

What if GM decided to hold off on the Super for one more year to make all the changes at once. Perhaps the 3800 will be phased out after 2007MY, leaving the 3.6l as standard with the V8 optional.

Enter refreshed 2008 LaCrosse (interior & exterior) with new trim levels and packaging:

LaCrosse Reserve (3.6l V6)

LaCrosse Super (5.3l V8)

Sound plausible?

I don't like that only the Super gets the exterior facelift.

It wouldn't be Super if it didn't have it's own styling treatment... :)

Odd that they are waiting so long to release it, though..

Edited by moltar

the magnaride hopefully will have a "sport" setting.

hopefully more surprises will follow

I actually think the other way round. The Allure should be tuned for absolute comfort. Don't forget the GP GXP is sold under the same roof. If anyone wants sporty, they can get a GP.

Mid-Cycle Enhancement. You can figure out when a vehicle's MCE will occur with the formula E=MC^2.

Oh, in other words, a refresh?

And, Fly, that was uh, bad. :P

What's surprising me is why they're changing the steering wheel, updating the wheels, changing the seat fabric and wood in the car if the car is going to receive a refresh the year after? Is it simply to boost sales?

I have a feeling this is going to be a very early 2008. Perhaps '08 Lacrosse production will begin in early '07 so Buick can get a full two or three years out of the improvements. Remember the '97 Lesabre refresh? It came out so early in '96 that they legally couldn't even sell them! I'm really looking forward to seeing this car. Maybe it'll be my first new car in over seven years! Now one has to wonder if there will be a Lucerne Super. How can the top-of-the-line car have a 275hp V-8 while the little Lacrosse has 303hp? :scratchchin:

I have a feeling this is going to be a very early 2008.  Perhaps '08 Lacrosse production will begin in early '07 so Buick can get a full two or three years out of the improvements.  Remember the '97 Lesabre refresh?  It came out so early in '96 that they legally couldn't even sell them!  I'm really looking forward to seeing this car.  Maybe it'll be my first new car in over seven years!  Now one has to wonder if there will be a Lucerne Super.  How can the top-of-the-line car have a 275hp V-8 while the little Lacrosse has 303hp? :scratchchin:

Yeah, would be hot if the Lucerne Super had like 350-360hp. 20" rims. Suede seat inserts. :)

But back to the LaCrosse... what I'd like to see them do to the interior is besides revising the center stack and such, add aluminum trim, suede seat inserts, maybe trick out the gauges, some ambient LED lighting in the car--would be hot to have LED lights in the headliner and dash to highlight/accent parts of the car--and you should be able to adjust the color, maybe give a few colors -- red, gold, green, blue, etc. Maybe an LED-illuminated "Super" on the dash and door sills.

The Lacrosse gets an MCE in 2008.

In 2008? not for 2008? So the LaCrosse Super will have unique styling for one year and then the rest of the LaCrosse line-up will receive the updates for MY2009?

The article states the LaCrosse Super will be out around this time next year so the Super itself must be a MY2008.

Am I missing something here?

In 2008? not for 2008? So the LaCrosse Super will have unique styling for one year and then the rest of the LaCrosse line-up will receive the updates for MY2009?

The article states the LaCrosse Super will be out around this time next year so the Super itself must be a MY2008.

Am I missing something here?

The Lacrosse gets an MCE in 2008 (MY).

This should of been here forever! The LaCrosse is already looking outdated.

The LaCrosse was a bit outdated when it came in 2005.

What really gets me is... everyone calls the new Buick grille the Velite-inspired grille, but, uh, hello:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The shape is just the same as the 1997-05 Century/Regal grille. Ovoid grilles came on the PA, LeSabre, Rainier and Rendezvous. And before that, the grille was more like you see it above.

Edited by Paolino

The LaCrosse was a bit outdated when it came in 2005.

What really gets me is... everyone calls the new Buick grille the Velite-inspired grille, but, uh, hello:

Posted Image

Pauli, Look at the top of the LaCrosse Super's grille. It's not an upright waterfall grille; it kinks toward the top and heads back into the hood. The shape is even less of an oval. The top corners flare out more while it comes to a subtle point at the bottom.

I believe the Century's grille did a similar thing--it wasn't just as pronounced. I feel the Velite-inspired grille is just a tweak of an old design, not exactly as revolutionary as some make it seem.

As for the kink in the top of the grille, well, it did it on my generation Century grille as well (and I believe it does it subtley on the last gen Century)

Posted Image

don't you want to come up some some stupid song or peom that says how great you are or quote some famous people that think you're the best thing to happen to the auto industry, since...... well, since Buickman.

Edited by 97regalGS

1981-87 Regals had the sloped grille, very big in NASCAR [when they used real cars! ]

anyway, AW says 'a year from now', so maybe the 2008 will be earlier than the usaul fall intros?

I hope... although with the way Buick has been introducing its cars lately (i.e., LaCrosse and Lucerne), they've been coming out extremely late in the year, like October and November.

The Lacrosse gets an MCE in 2008.

How could it be an MCE when 2008 is the last year for the LaCrosse and Grand Prix? That was announced as part of GM's restructuring in November, that they were closing Oshawa #2 in 2008, when the current product finished its lifecycle.

How could it be an MCE when 2008 is the last year for the LaCrosse and Grand Prix? That was announced as part of GM's restructuring in November, that they were closing Oshawa #2 in 2008, when the current product finished its lifecycle.

Well, maybe MCE isn't the correct term, but it's getting a refresh from what all the sources say.. silly that it gets a refresh for its last year when the entire car is to be revamped completely for the 09 MY.. unless that's been delayed and we don't know that yet.

Why must they add MORE chrome to this car...speaking about the rear bumper. One of the things I hate about the LaCrosse is the amount of chrome it has(door handles, around the windows, along the body molding, and the bumper strips.

Aren't sporty models supposed to get more body-color parts to segregate them from the lower models? So why add more chrome when they could really appeal to the younger crowd by color-matching everything to go along with the 18" wheels and 303-HP motor.

Why must they add MORE chrome to this car...speaking about the rear bumper.  One of the things I hate about the LaCrosse is the amount of chrome it has(door handles, around the windows, along the body molding, and the bumper strips.

All that chrome isn't standard--only the door handles and around the windows--one must pay for it and order the optional package:

Chrome Appearance Package, includes front and rear chrome fascia inserts, bodyside molding and chrome inserts