07 Infiniti G35

titan

Unless the next CTS is absolutely jawdropping, this is my next car. It looks stunning in these real world pics, IMHO. Also, I think the interior looks great. I've been waiting to see the interior with the Rosewood trim, which is beautiful.

No big shocker here... I saw basically this already at NYIAS.

Unless the next CTS is absolutely jawdropping, this is my next car.  It looks stunning in these real world pics, IMHO.  Also, I think the interior looks great.  I've been waiting to see the interior with the Rosewood trim, which is beautiful.

From the pics we've seen so far, it looks like the '08 CTS will be your next car.

How can a nav screen be dangerous? :blink:

you really want know? 8)

first off, its recessed.

your eyes have to first look down, then in.

any time focus is off the road is dangerous, adding an extra step increases distraction time.

they all do this to an extent, this one adds another point of adjustment.

may only be milliseconds, but its enough.

second, it has a flat key control. its probably easier once you learn where all the buttons are but it does not, in my opinion support good driving habits.

thats basically it. plus really is just too many buttons so close together. like i said though, im sure once you learn all the buttons its probably second nature

but why even have to retrain yourself. if i drive caught flack, i dont see why this wont. in my opinion, the i-drive seems even more supportive of good driving habits, if needlessly unnecessary. one control, next to the driver.

my main gripe is the way its set back. ive seen studies with cell phone distractions and actual data that demonstrates the inherent negativity of taking your eyes of the road if even only briefly. this compunds that.

its a car not a computer. to me this would be akin to driving wit newspaper in front of you. :unsure:

i could be dead wrong but why didnt they opt for a flat screen? i guess the only way to know for sure is to test drive it and see how intuitive it is.

:AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

I get an error message on the photos in the first post. The interior looks a lot better than the current-gen but the painted plastic center stack/console give me a cheap DCX vibe. Some of the components are not aligned as well as they should be on a luxury car, either.

sun glare?  ive never used nav but is that really a prob?  if so, do you think this will solve it?  or just create another  problem.

Sun glare can be a problem, yes. And if it's any consolation, the G35's is touch-screen as well. You don't have to use the buttons.

I get an error message on the photos in the first post.  The interior looks a lot better than the current-gen but the painted plastic center stack/console give me a cheap DCX vibe.  Some of the components are not aligned as well as they should be on a luxury car, either.

Painted? It's real wood and you have to take into account that this is still a pre-production car.

Painted? It's real wood and you have to take into account that this is still a pre-production car.

I cannot see the photos of the wood interior. I was talking about the silver in the second interior picture that was posted.

I cannot see the photos of the wood interior.  I was talking about the silver in the second interior picture that was posted.

Oh that. That's real aluminum and it actually has a nice pattern to it (Infiniti calls it washi-style). It's hard to see in that image but there's a high-res image of it that shows it off well.

(Very large pic): http://nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2...07_sedan_03.jpg

what is this thing? I know its a compact flash but for what?

First off, please remove that gargantuan image. Use this instead: http://nissannews.com/multimedia/infiniti2...07_sedan_16.jpg.

The Compact Flash slot and card are used to transfer MP3s into a hard drive built into the car. The hard drive is around 30-40GB (I forget exactly what).

any time focus is off the road is dangerous

I agree about NAV causing an accident here & there... but I'm sick

of all responsibility being displaced. Are you one of those people

who say gun regulation (of legal weapons) saves lilves? :blink:

You sound like the kind fo person I can thank for those big, ugly

airbag info stickers on all new cars' visors.

Oh that. That's real aluminum and it actually has a nice pattern to it (Infiniti calls it washi-style). It's hard to see in that image but there's a high-res image of it that shows it off well.

I'll take your word for it but it looks like silver painted plastic to me. That wood looks very cheap, too. It reminds me of fake DCX wood! Did Nissan and DCX partner up somewhere along the line? At least it does not have tons of gloss on it. The exterior is nice but the hood cut line will stand out on every other color and, IMO, will look ugly.

I agree about NAV causing an accident here & there... but I'm sick

of all responsibility being displaced. Are you one of those people

who say gun regulation (of legal weapons) saves lilves? :blink:

You sound like the kind fo person I can thank for those big, ugly

airbag info stickers on all new cars' visors.

not quite. i just dont want to get rearended by some jackass who has is head in the glove compartment while hes trying to find the nearest walgreens.

as a matter of fact, i wanted to pull the fuse for the airbag when i got my first car that had one...as far as guns go...well, i dont want the king of England coming in to my house and pushing me around.

this was just a gut instinct knee jerk reaction to what seems to me as counter productive and not at all intuitive. there are so many people out there already driving with their heads up their asses as it is.

that was the whole point of hud, one of the greatest technologies with a plethora of benefits. this is almost 180 from that. if the screen popped up from the dash or was at least even with the typical radio controls i wouldnt have said boo peep.

regarding the touch screen, no it doesnt console me one bit because now youre leaning in to use it.

damn. a motor 4 wheels and some brakes and im happy.

OK the outside is hot but from what we have seen of the CTS it will be a tough battle. The CTS interior from what we have seen looks much better. Out side this car is very nice but the CTS seems to be a pleaser also. We shall see how this plays out.

Wierd... I'm looking for the panel gap between the bumper and front fender to figure out how they did the floating headlights, and I can't find it...

It's funny that Infiniti did that on this car, because it's very expense to have a headlight totally intergrated into the front fascia. I've only see it dont on Aston's cars... Every car maker it's easy and makes total sense to put cut lines near the headlamps, because it's less noticable. Or, have the hood meet the top of the headlamp so it's easy to work on/replace in case of an accident. I love the fact that these headlamps are "floating." It's an extremely clean look, not cheap to pull off.

Edited by titan

From the pics we've seen so far, it looks like the '08 CTS will be your next car.

LOL. I dont know. I think this car is beautiful, and I love the interior. The Rosewood is an extremely high end touch, and I like that Infiniti has it in a matte finish, as opposed to the high gloss finish used by every other lux car maker.

Yeah, I like the aluminum too. I thinks it's clever to texture it in the pattern of traditional Japanese rice paper. Out of the two though, I like the Rosewood more.

I'll take your word for it but it looks like silver painted plastic to me.  That wood looks very cheap, too.  It reminds me of fake DCX wood!  Did Nissan and DCX partner up somewhere along the line?  At least it does not have tons of gloss on it.  The exterior is nice but the hood cut line will stand out on every other color and, IMO, will look ugly.

Are you serious? Rosewood is extremely expensive. The cutline on the hood will stand out? It's actually done very well. Porsche has been doing it for decades, and no one complained. But, I guess since Infiniti has done it something similar it'll really stand out, right?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think Infiniti did a better job here than on the 911, because there isn't a cutline around the headlamps on the G; it's all intergrated. But like you said, the G and just about ever Porsche will have a glaring hood cut line that will stand out in every color, right? :unsure:

Edited by titan

Well, will the CTS have magnesuim paddle shifters?

Posted Image

Just curious why they have to be magnesium, it is light weight but costly, and lets be frank here those things aren't very large and can't weigh very much, even in steel.

That being said I LOVE the outside. I am still not in love with the dash and center stack though.

Well, will the CTS have magnesuim paddle shifters?

so, how much horsepower do those add? id guess anywhere from abut 15 - 80 depending on the application. i dont know for sure if theyll be offered but rest assured if they want to stay competetive it looks like they are going to have to now.

i think it might come with floormats but theyre only good for 2-3 hp.

you might want to check how many mirrors it comes with too.

honestly, this really makes a difference to you?

Just curious why they have to be magnesium, it is light weight but costly, and lets be frank here those things aren't very large and can't weigh very much, even in steel.

That being said I LOVE the outside.  I am still not in love with the dash and center stack though.

Who know's why the picked magnesuim... maybe it just sounds good, or they got a good deal on a ton of it, lol. I'm sure the weight has something to do with it. I loving both the outside and inside. I didn't like the first gen's center stack, but I do like this one. It takes the theme from the M without copying it directly.

Are magnesium paddle shifters a major criteria for choosing a car?

Me, I'll take the 6-speed manual myself.....

They're a criteria because whatever car I get it'd be an automatic since it'd be my daily driver... For a weekend car (Sky, anyone?) I'd take the 6-speed manual in a heartbeat. I like the idea of the paddle shifters more than that of shifting from the stick when an auto's concerned. One thing that the CTS is sure to have is a 6-speed auto, while Infiniti's stuck with the 5-speed auto, and that'a a factor too.

so, how much horsepower do those add?  id guess anywhere from abut 15 - 80 depending on the application.  i dont know for sure if theyll be offered but rest assured if they want to stay competetive it looks like they are going to have to now.

i think it might come with floormats but theyre only good for 2-3 hp.

you might want to check how many mirrors it comes with too.

honestly, this really makes a difference to you?

Ookay, read the above post. It's not about how much HP I'm going to be able to squeeze out of the paddle shifters, it's about the enjoyment or drivin' the car (since I'm pretty sure it'll be an AT). If the idea of paddle shifters doesn't float ur boat, so be it. I just think it's a cool feature.

Are you serious?  Rosewood is extremely expensive.  The cutline on the hood will stand out?  It's actually done very well.  Porsche has been doing it for decades, and no one complained.  But, I guess since Infiniti has done it something similar it'll really stand out, right?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think Infiniti did a better job here than on the 911, because there isn't a cutline around the headlamps on the G; it's all intergrated.  But like you said, the G and just about ever Porsche will have a glaring hood cut line that will stand out in every color, right?  :unsure:

It may be extremely expensive but it does not really look like it. The low gloss is great, it's something all automakers should do or at least offer, but something just does not look right to me.

I don't like the hood cutline on the Infiniti or Porche. Black hides it but every other color, I'm guessing, will show it off. Different, yes, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.