GM comes to its senses: US to get NG Canyon, Colorado

The 2014 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon will get GM's new global, body-on-frame small-truck platform. Those trucks will debut in Thailand, the one-ton-pickup-rich country where they'll be built. Unlike the Ford Ranger, though, US buyers are getting GM's Thai takeout.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5759881/us-to-get-next+gen-global-canyon-colorado

Link: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/work-on-next-gen-colorado-and-canyon-for-north-america-under-way-sources-say.html

Work on Next-Gen Colorado and Canyon for North America Under Way, Sources Say

Posted by Mike Levine | February 14, 2011

Story by Chris Doane for PickupTrucks.com

The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon small pickup trucks are expected to end production at their home in Shreveport, La., by June 2012, but that's not the end of the road for GM's midsize twins in North America, according to our sources.

We've learned that development on the next-generation 2014 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon for the U.S. and Canada is under way, based on GM’s all-new GMI 700 body-on-frame global small truck platform that will be built in Thailand starting late this year.

The GMI 700-based Chevy Colorado is expected to make its world debut at the 2011 Thailand International Motor Expo in Bangkok.

GM’s original plans during the company’s bankruptcy and financial restructuring in 2009 called for the end of the Colorado and Canyon, but those plans were reversed in the last few months.

The move runs contrary to the latest trends in the dwindling midsize segment, whose vehicles have grown stale and manufacturers have been exiting the segment. Later this year, U.S. production of the Ford Ranger will end after 29 years. The Ranger hasn't seen a major mechanical update since 2001 or a design change since 2006. Mazda, Isuzu and Mitsubishi also left the segment in the past few years.

Ford’s next-generation Ranger, code-name T6, will start production later this year for markets outside North America, leaving domestic Ford truck buyers with the F-150 as their only option.

GM’s new trucks will still face competition from Toyota and Nissan. A heavily refreshed Tacoma is expected to debut for 2013 with all-new sheetmetal and at least one new engine, though its platform will likely be mostly carry over. Nissan is also expected to sell a next-gen Frontier based on its latest global small truck chassis. A replacement for the Dodge Dakota may also be available by 2014, possibly riding on an innovative unibody platform.

The current Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon debuted in 2003 as 2004 models. They replaced the Chevy S-10 and GMC Sonoma compact pickups.

So how long do we have to wait for this new truck? At least two-and-a-half years. Our sources indicate that production couldn't start until at least the very end of 2013. The first half of 2014 is more likely. Production is likely to move north, to Wentzville, Mo., where GM currently builds its full-size Chevy Express and GMC Savana vans. With only one shift building vans at Wentzville, there’s untapped capacity for a new product.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

um YAY. Right about the time I am ready to trade, my new truck will be ready for me. This makes me happy, and it is the right decision for GM. A good 4 and a good 6, along with a stout little 4 cylinder diesel and plenty of 6 speed manual and automatic transmission availability, and they'll be set.

I was growing nervous about my next vehicle, now hopefully I can rest easy and wait to hear more as development progresses.

Thanks for digging this info up and reporting it, Mr. Doane.

I wonder if it will be based on the truck already seen in spy photos?

If it is the nose looked like a Equinox on the Chevy. I would expect the GMC to have different sheet metal than the Chevy if they are thinking like the full size trucks.

I hope they do make it a little smaller and priced enough under the full size to make it a real choice. Right not even if you wanted a small truck the large one is a better value for what you pay.

If we're going to have to wait till CY2014 for the GMI700s, it makes sense for GM to extend the life of the GMT355s at least until CY2013. GM shouldn't cede this market, even temporary. Furthermore, if GM can justify giving the Impala the 3.6L/6spd for the sake of homogenizing their engine lineup, they can use the same justification to replace the Atlas engines with the DI Ecotec and the HFV6 to make the GMT355s more competitive, if on paper.

• Agree 2

Just like Ford and her Ranger, all that has been needed is periodic updates to keep these trucks visible to a wider audience. A full size truck will never beat a compact for maneuverability, garageability, economy and comparatively-equipped price.

In 2007 when the 900s debuted, the 355 should have been in line for the '08 model year to have a new front clip to keep the look current. Mechanical updates... at least 6 speed transmissions, should have been incorporated.

I still don't see anything wrong with the interiors. Only thing I'd change is, as vonVee says, maybe the radio to a blacktie, and the seat upholstery, back to the soft velour of the pre-'03 S-10. Other than that, I appreciate my oily, molded-in-colour plastic dash more than the hard, painted, creaky plastic dash of the S-10.

Sorry, I remember LOLing at the interiors when I first saw them at the 2004 Boston auto show.

I beat you to it at the Detroit show. THe UAW reps were there and wanted to know what I thought. I told them the inside was crap.

The smaller trucks appeal to me in more ways than the large. If you have a need for a larger truck that is fine but I only need light hauling and light towing. The two smaller GM trucks I had I loved. Hated everything about the present truck accept the engine. It is so much better than my Votech 4.3.

THe one area the small trucks fail has been value. My father inlaw has a new Silverodo that was stickered at almost $33K 2wd with the towing package. He paid less for it than I could have gotten a 4x4 Colorado. When you see ful size trucks discounted in the GM fall sales and rebated on top of that you almost feel cheated not to buy the larger truck.

GM needs to price this right and make it a good value. They could own this segment if they want too. The Ranger sold well because it was smaller and cheap. I hope the noticed this.

i will assume these trucks will be made elsewhere with slave labor and wages and thus neither volume of units or price will be a huge factor as far as production.

my concern is the design will not be American truck enough and will lose sales either being inadequate, or looking foreign or dorky or something like that.

My preference would be to resurrect the love and upgrade the S-10 / Colorado to a Dodge Dakota size or a tiny tish smaller. on the single row trucks, make it spacious. In fact, I might even just sell the extended cab standard (not a true extended cab with jump seats, just a cab with more leg room and more space behind the seats) and not bother with a cramped regular cab. 4 door cab is the lone option.

I would offer the 2.5 4 pop and a v6 and that would cover it all. two tranny options. 6 speed auto, 6 speed man. AWD optional.

I suppose you'd have to offer a short and a long box. I do like step boxes.

The 2.5 would have an mpg pacakge, i may even be tempted to make it a 2.0.........

I would Target a 2wd work truck at 15k........add automatic and A/C and maybe its at 17k.....after that you could tweak the pricing to make your money. You'd have to have a couple versions of the truck to advertise as fleet or loss leader trucks.

Edited by regfootball

You have to have a regular cab for business delivery fleets, economy-minded private owners, and sport truck buyers.

Maybe it's the square shape of the dash that turns some of you off? Because I could pound on my dash all day and it would bounce back because of the material it's made from. Doing that in an S-10 would crack the brittle plastic pretty quick. Door trim panels are made from the same forgiving stuff. I will give you... the S-10 had more soft material on the door trims than the 355. But meh.

Edited by ocnblu

Click on this button here once, Jakey. The perspective is off, but you get the idea. Since the current Thai Colorado has several differences from the US market version, I expect and hope our new one will, as well. I'd prefer a separate, chrome front bumper, for example, to match the rear.

Edited by ocnblu

I actually don't mind the dash plastic. It's a work truck. I'm not expecting it to be a Phantom in there, and the design is basic but not ugly.

My issues inside are far more basic. I drive these things almost everyday for hours, so I've had plenty of time to "bond" with them.

I can't stand the multifunction stalk. It must have been design by people who had fingers a ten inches long. It's impossible to turn on the washer jets without taking your hand of the wheel, as you have to reach around the back out the wheel and tilt the switch forward. There's also lots of jagged plastic flash back there. This is really annoying in the winter when you use the washer a lot.

The cruise control has no coast, cancel, or decelerate settings. Just on, off, resume, and speed up. Not being able to decelerate is the most annoying on open roads with varying speed limits. It also can't hold the same speed for life of it on anything but a perfectly flat road.

There's no place to comfortably rest your foot left foot. There's no fold down center arm rest, and the bench seats have no support whatsoever. There's no padding anywhere on the door panel. It makes it rather uncomfortable on long drives.

The I5 makes a huge racket at anything above idle, while sounding like a blender on high speed.

For such a small truck I swear it has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

The transmission really needs at least one more gear. While it has enough power to accelerate, it never wants to downshift and the ratios are huge.

The brakes aren't progressive at all. It's like a switch: on or off. It's worse in one truck than the other but they both suffer from it, and so did a friend's Colorado I drove. I drove a `98 Dakota going for $400 which needed plenty of maintenance that had better modulated brakes.

As an aide, I really wish the trucks we have had power mirrors and windows. Very annoying to have to get out of the truck or scoot very to the passenger side and adjust the mirror. The windows require so much force to crank I feel like its going to break off.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

The non-work truck models have a fold-down center armrest. The cruise control DOES have a coast feature. Simply hold in the set button and it will coast down to your desired speed. Let go when you're ready, and it will hold that speed. And the 5 cylinder sounds like any other odd-number cylinder engine. It sounds like a Viper from the side. If you were a GM fan and not a Dodge fan, you'd know the multi-function stalk is standard GM for the last 30 years. Very intuitive.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Sorry, but I don't call having to reach around to turn on the washer jets VS pressing the end of the stalk in (which you can do without having to take your hand off the wheel) very intuitive. Some stalks have the end of the stalk act as a rotary dial for the wiper speeds, whereas the Colorado's has a dial mounted after the cruise on/off switch, forcing the wiper washer switch to be moved closer to the steering column.

I shouldn't have to be familiar with 30 years of GM to have to know where coast is...as opposed to it just being labeled. That's not intuitive.

The Cobalt's 2 stalk setup with wheel mounted cruise is far better, IMO. It's well labeled doesn't require prexisting knowledge of the switchgear to operate.

However thanks for the info, I'll be sure to put it to use on my next delivery.

And it sounds nothing like a Viper. :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Dodgefan (or andrew p, I saw your biased comment in the Colorado thread over at Autoblog), have you stood on the side of a running Viper? All you hear are 5 cylinders churning out of that side pipe. It's a V-10. Like the Ford F-series V-10 and the Volkswagen, Audi and Volvo 5-cylinders, they have a distinctive sound that comes from an odd number of cylinders, and they all sound similar.

As far as the cruise control goes, the owner's manual is your friend. Read it before you spout off, son.

And the stalk? Those of us who have driven GM for any amount of time understand the stalk and are not harmed by it.

Edited by Oldsmoboi
removed name calling
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

As a matter of fact, there is an SRT10 convertible that frequents the store during the other seasons. They sound nothing alike.

Read the owners manual to operate such a basic function? Really? How absurd is that. This isn't Gen I iDrive. Here's a thought: label controls.

And what's with the rudeness dude? Because I have a different opinion then you makes it less valid and warrants that? When did I even say Dodge's turn signal stalks were perfect or compare to them? That's right. I didn't. Chill out.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I don't pick on you until you show your anti-GM bias without knowledge in your posts. And I don't go to other makes' forums and attack their cars. I do it here, and I am fair to Chrysler.

It seems normal to me if I have a curiosity about a vehicle function and I don't understand how it works that I would consult the owner's manual. Did you read the manual when you bought your camera?

EDIT: just went down to my garage. The cruise control functions ARE labeled with international icons, including the coast feature... the icon of the speedometer with the hash mark (indicating cruise control) and the arrow toward the lower end of the speedometer (indicating coast). No words necessary.

Edited by ocnblu

Click on this button here once, Jakey. The perspective is off, but you get the idea. Since the current Thai Colorado has several differences from the US market version, I expect and hope our new one will, as well. I'd prefer a separate, chrome front bumper, for example, to match the rear.

That is the one we saw last Summer or Spring around Detroit in spy photo's. It had a real Nox flavor on the nose and had a more import looking bed with outer tie downs. Back then most expected it could come here but with a different bed. It was said to similar in size to the present Colorado truck.

I think it has been well established by many members that there are issues with the current truck. To say that it is bias that generates these complaints is clearly erroneous.

Hopefully it won't have a busted interior at launch.

At least not a radio head unit out of a 2001 Chevrolet Venture...

Sorry, I remember LOLing at the interiors when I first saw them at the 2004 Boston auto show.

I beat you to it at the Detroit show. THe UAW reps were there and wanted to know what I thought. I told them the inside was crap.

The smaller trucks appeal to me in more ways than the large. If you have a need for a larger truck that is fine but I only need light hauling and light towing. The two smaller GM trucks I had I loved. Hated everything about the present truck accept the engine. It is so much better than my Votech 4.3.

THe one area the small trucks fail has been value. My father inlaw has a new Silverodo that was stickered at almost $33K 2wd with the towing package. He paid less for it than I could have gotten a 4x4 Colorado. When you see ful size trucks discounted in the GM fall sales and rebated on top of that you almost feel cheated not to buy the larger truck.

GM needs to price this right and make it a good value. They could own this segment if they want too. The Ranger sold well because it was smaller and cheap. I hope the noticed this.

The base interior in the GMT355s is crap, all around. Solid plastic door panels. A padded park bench for a seat. Grey, grey, and more grey.

However, the uplevel interiors (like that in my Xtreme) are a bit of a different story. The buckets have a fair amount of support for a truck. Overall it feels very solidily built, and it must actually be pretty solid because at 68K miles my truck has not a squeak or rattle inside. The Super Stalk is what it is. The truck has it, the car doesn't. I can't say I prefer one to the other. My biggest complaint about the interior of the Colorado has always been the feel of the knobs on the HVAC unit. It felt like GM used rusted cables to link the unit to the doors in the HVAC ductwork. Thankfully my truck doesn't feel this way.

The current truck's inside can be spruced up on the cheap, though. The HVAC unit could be upgraded to an electronic unit, perhaps with a digital display for the gadgetophiles. A black tie radio would be nice - I'd personally love to swap one in. So would a new drop-in gage cluster with LED lighing like today's clusters.

I've come to prefer all the controls on one stalk to having them on two. I actually like the multi-function stalk.

Yeah, so do I. The multifunction stalk just does not have enough printable spaces to thoroughly document all the features.

I guess we need to label the brake and the accelerator pedals with international glyphs. I believe Toyota is claiming this is the problem with their unwanted acceleration problems. Next, we need pictographs on the the outside of the doors, like airplanes... I mean, we can't be TOO safe, right? I guess all brake lights should be shaped like octagons.

Well, I guess even icons to document everything don't really help enough... people STILL refuse to use their turn signals.

For stalks, I like the approach Chrysler had over 10 years ago like on my GC...two stalks, all lighting controls on the left, all wiper controls on the right. Cruise control controls on the wheel w/ volume/mode/station up/down. Hard to improve on that. I've driven a few cars w/ the cruise control on a stalk, don't care for that.

Anyway, back on topic...wonder what engine choices the NG small truck will have...and wonder if they will keep the C/C names, or get new names?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

you can't fault the GM lifers for patting themselves on the back thinking they did a major upgrade over this......

LoL...keep in mind, though, these are just cheap trucks..can't expect Cadillac-grade interiors..

I actually like that look, sort of what the '94-'97 GMC Sonoma & Chevy S-10 pickups would have eventually evolved into:

IMG_3140_edited.JPG

2012-Chevrolet-Colorado-codename-gmi700-rendering.jpg

And it would be cool if the Chevy takes the Equinox look, the GMC borrows the boxier styling of the Terrain.

And ocnblu, I do like the current GMT-355's a lot, but I have to agree with others that the '98-'03 small trucks had a better design to their dash. I absolutely loved my '01 GMC Sonoma SLS Ext Cab "Highrider" pickup, but that interior was squeaky from day one and looked like a Little Tikes or Fisher Price toy. However, the Canyon/Colorado interior looks too basic, and GM has never put the money into doing anything other than adding some chrome trim since these trucks debuted in late 2003. I can't stand the steering wheel design, and the fact that these trucks have never gotten an upgraded radio system, with AUX input or USB input, simply amazes me. I would have loved to own a regular cab, short bed GMC Canyon 4WD Off-Road (aka Z71) before GMC cancelled this configuration... I see plenty of these around me that still makes me drool.

Let's hope the new small trucks are worthy contenders.

The non-work truck models have a fold-down center armrest. The cruise control DOES have a coast feature. Simply hold in the set button and it will coast down to your desired speed. Let go when you're ready, and it will hold that speed. And the 5 cylinder sounds like any other odd-number cylinder engine. It sounds like a Viper from the side. If you were a GM fan and not a Dodge fan, you'd know the multi-function stalk is standard GM for the last 30 years. Very intuitive.

DEATH TO THE MULTIFUNCTION STALK