Drew Dowdell

Camaro to Die - Again

...reports say the 7th generation Camaro has been shelved....

Rumors coming out of Detroit are saying that the 7th generation Camaro development has been shelved, citing multiple sources from within General Motors, MusclecarsandTrucks.com reports. The current model will likely run until 2023 and then the nameplate will go back into the dustbin for the second time.

The current car is based on the Alpha platform, the bases for the now canceled Cadillac ATS and CTS.  Their replacements, the Cadillac CT4 and Cadillac CT5 use a second generation of that platform called Alpha 2. The sources say that the Camaro will not move to the new Alpha platform.

If the rumor is true, this will be the second time the Camaro has been canceled.  The last of the 4th generation, then known as F-Bodies, finished their run in 2002. Chevrolet revived the Camaro for a 5th generation using a cut down version of the Australian Zeta sedan platform. The current 6th generation car came out as a 2016 model and was lighter and slimmer than the 5th generation car.  The Camaro only sold 50,963 copies for 2018, a substantial drop from the 84,391 sold in 2012.

Edited by Drew Dowdell

ykX

Posted (edited)

Shame on GM for killing it and also bad for Mustang.  Ford needs competition to keep improving the Mustang.

Edited by ykX

balthazar

Posted (edited)

Rumors....

This is the second time the Camaro has been canceled.

IMHO, this should be reworded. ‘Rumor’ vs “has been”.

Things change in months-time, and this rumor mentions ‘3 years’.

Edited by balthazar

IMHO, this should be reworded. ‘Rumor’ vs “has been”.

Things change in months-time, and this rumor mentions ‘3 years’.

updated.

This means that if the Challenger also gets canned when the LX cars go away, Mustang will be the only pony car to choose from.

As it was once before.

Ford will bring back the 2005-2009 Mustang, exactly. They'll bring back the 3v 4.6 5spd and everything and laugh in people's faces.

Maybe the Camaro will be reborn as an EV coupe CUV with styling cues from the 4th gen.

10 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

Not or sure how reliable this information but it would not surprise given all the CUV news from GM it would not surprise me. Just a sad state of affairs.

20 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

I know the journalist who is originally reporting this... I only put it up because I felt it was reliable.

The story is all over the usual automotive press and blog pages on the FB now...maybe GM is intentionally leaking this 3 years early to try and spur lagging sales.

Edited by Robert Hall

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh I’m not trying to discredit it so sorry if I came off that way. It really is anyone’s guess. Hell, a few months ago we were led to believe that the CT6 was dead in the water and not it’s not. Guess we will see when the time comes.

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

I just threw up in my mouth a bit.

Good grief. Sorry for the drunk looking post. Too many grammatical errors for me to deal with lol. I’m not sure what exactly happened there.

18 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

It was that Scorpion Tequila you are drinking pool side for rehab! :P

It was that Scorpion Tequila you are drinking pool side for rehab! :P

I wish that were the excuse lol. Besides I prefer Patron Silver. I’m going to blame this on multitasking.

The Camaro got too expensive, plus gen 6 doesn’t look as good as gen 5 and you can’t see out of them.  People also want crossovers not coupes, so they better get performance crossovers ready.

People don’t want performance crossovers tho.

And yet Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley and AMG have them, and Ferrari is coming.  No one buys the Alfa Romeo or Maserati crossovers, but no one buys from those brands anyway.  Ford wouldn't do Edge ST and Explorer ST if they didn't think they could sell them.

smk4565

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Barra strikes again

Well it makes more financial sense for Chevy to introduce a crossover in between the Equinox and Blazer than to do a new Camaro, because then they can do a GMC clone of it too.  Sadly the people just want more crossovers.  I think this crossover craze sucks, but the tribe has spoken.

Edited by smk4565

Well when everything Barra builds will be autonomous/EV, and those two traits are the very antithesis of the Camaro spirit, I am not surprised in the least.  She is poison.  Absolutely.

• Downvote 1

It is the ugly duckiing of the 3 pony cars, hopefully when it comes back at some point that won't be the case.

22 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Poison to enthusiasts maybe, but not to shareholders who only care about GM's bottom line and the dividend payout.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Sad but very true.

If the Camaro is going to be discontinued in three years, I am sorry for it to go.  Then again, the new Camaro (if there is one) needs a better stylist and some more glass since the current one looks like somebody could become claustrophobic once inside.

What if the 7th gen would have been styled by the Silverado HD stylist?  Give it some big truck touches like huge mirrors, large windows, etc.  We will never know what could have been...

Edited by Robert Hall