So which auto partner would be best for GM?

I don't think R-N tie up is good for GM at all, just for the fact that GM doesn't gain much. I wouldn't mind a tie up if GM gained quite a bit out of it.

With that being said, I think Honda and VW would be the best partners for GM if GM had to be in an alliance. Both companies have technologies that GM could use. GM could help VW in America, and vice versa in Europe. Outside of those 2 companies, I'm not excited about any others.

But what about Ford? Hmm...GM buying Ford and dumping Lincoln, Mercury, and Pontiac? Could that work? It would be a juggernaut in North America and Europe for sure.

I kinda made that poll in the Lounge because of this, but nobody caught on.. whatever.

I wouldn't say drop Pontiac at all.. I like the idea of a GM-N-R merger. Who else? Umm, nobody else fits the bill, IMO.

The last thing GM needs to do is aquire more brands.

Personally, I think GM would be best off being by themselves, but if they have to have a partnership, I'd say BMW fits the bill relatively well -- Cadillac and BMW could share platforms and costs and really create the best automobiles in the business, Mini would give GM a good base for future small cars, and we could see a cheap 3er for Pontiac.

Sorry, might as well shut off the lights as far as Im concerned, any merger would no longer be GM it would be a mongrel, a mime pretending to be something that it is not. GM has technologies, American has the resources and talent, however its been too busy packing the overfull pockets of the likes of the Smiths and Wagoners to invest in the R&D or balking on R&D or progressive ideas that had potential.........but then pinching pennys had afforded such short term capitolism for those important people............all worth it in the end.......no doubt......... :unsure:

The last thing GM needs to do is aquire more brands.

Personally, I think GM would be best off being by themselves, but if they have to have a partnership, I'd say BMW fits the bill relatively well -- Cadillac and BMW could share platforms and costs and really create the best automobiles in the business, Mini would give GM a good base for future small cars, and we could see a cheap 3er for Pontiac.

Yeah, I forgot about BMW. They'd probably be the best partner above all. I don't hope GM gets in any mergers, but alliance partners can be very valuable when done right. GM has had lousy partners in the past. But if GM is going to get with alliances, then get with the right ones. A BMW V12 could power a new Cadillac ULS. This is where alliances can help you.

GM-Honda? No, that'd be all take and no give.... what would Honda add to that it doesn't already? V6s? Honda already provides the V6 for the Vue. The HF V6es are quite competative with the other DOHC engines out there. Transmissions? Sorry, GM's 4-speed is smoother and more reliable than Honda's 5-speed. Hybrid Tech? Na, GM may be a little late to the game, but they have 2 very competative hybrid technologies coming.

GM- Toyota? No deals with the devil, kthnxbye.

GM- BMW? BMW would never agree to it. But if they did, it would give GM access to some engine technology and suspension technology.... and do what for BMW?

GM-Ford? Considering they've already partnered up for the 6-speed, the only other thing they could partner on is engine technology. I don't think anyone wants to see Fords platform shared with Chevys.. That's just dumb

GM - Nissan - Renault? The sad part is this brings nothing to the table technology wise. Any single piece of technology that N or R have, GM has a competative product to. The biggest advantage would be having Ghosen. If anyone can polish a turd, he can.

GM - VW/AUDI? This makes the most sense of all of the above if it weren't for the fact that VW has been acting like a schizophrenic recently. GM could get access to Quattro and small diesel technology, better access to Europe. VW could get access to GM's dealer network, larger vehicle technology for Mini-vans, trucks and SUVs.

GM by themselves? If they build it they will come. They can rebuild, they have the technology. The HF line of V6s runs with the best competitors. GM has V8s that can beat nearly all other V8s and a few V10s. Their transmissions are the most reliable. The 6-speed is almost here. They will be offering two choices in hybrid technology. Exterior design has improved dramaticly. Interior design looks like it will be following along.

GM is in a great position to take off.... and if you think about it, they'd be flying now if it weren't for a $1500 per car UAW albatross hanging from their neck.

I think GM has enough brands and reach to be involved in a merger or a full-reaching alliance.

GM should pursue alliances with other manufacturers in specific issues or programs, like the development of the Hybrid drivetrain with BMW or the FWD 6-speed developed with Ford.

Edited by ZL-1

BMW would be a conflict of intrest, Cadillac is supposed to be the the most luxurous cars in the world... GM already has all the brands it needs to cover every catagory...

it just needs to market each brand properly...

GM just canned oldsmobile because they are bloated, and many analyst think that pontiac and buick are also on their way out... so if GM can hardly manage its own, what makes you think it can take on more?

GM is in a great position to take off.... and if you think about it, they'd be flying now if it weren't for a $1500 per car UAW albatross hanging from their neck.

can you imagine once GM starts to regain market share, that 1500$ will just disapear, and with all the buy outs recently, that figure might have just changed...

GM- BMW? BMW would never agree to it. But if they did, it would give GM access to some engine technology and suspension technology.... and do what for BMW?

BMW already agreed to work on the two-mode full hybrid system for GM, and who would have thought that Mercedes would have wanted to merge with Chrysler? BMW would get GM's new 6-speeds in return, and if they shared componets with Cadillac it would make both brands cheaper to build but they would still be able to command a premium.

GM actually was seriously considering buying BMW once when Cadillac wasn't doing so well, I believe.

Cadillac and BMW could exist together. I don't think Cadillac is hurting BMW sales much at all. But BMW technology could benefit GM is so many ways and make their cars even more better. BMW suspension and steering in Buicks would really make them true rivals to Lexus.

After the Rover fiasco, BMW will never agree to another merger.

The healthiest automakers are those who have avoided having partners, so I want GM to stay by itself.

Well said. Toyota, Honda, and BMW have so much money they could buy up most of the world's carmakers amongst themselves, but they don't. Because it's better to use that money for internal investment.

Ford blew billions on Land Rover, Volvo, Jaguar, and Aston Martin in the 1990's and has very little to show for it on the business side. One wonders if they had instead spent that money building world-class Ford cars how much better off they would now be. :scratchchin:

I think GM has enough brands and reach to be involved in a merger or a full-reaching alliance.

GM should pursue alliances with other manufacturers in specific issues or programs, like the development of the Hybrid drivetrain with BMW or the FWD 6-speed developed with Ford.

Yup I agree.

If there were to be a merger, it would make the most sense to work with Honda. Forget about the model overlap here, it is of little consequence. Honda is still number 3 in Japan. It has almost no auto presence in China. Honda has little in the way of trucks. And since they are #3 in Japan, they may be the most vulnerable if the home market tumbles.

Of all the companies that would result from a merger, GM / Honda would have the effect of curing all the product ills of the resulting corporation. Toyota would be threatened almost immediately. Ford would be all but history.

I've got to agree with GM/Honda, the resulting automaker would theoretically be perfect.

Honda gets the benefits of gm's global resources, gm gets, among other things, a line of bikes and personal watercraft (remember the idea a member had a while ago of a firebird sportbike :scratchchin: )

I've got to agree with GM/Honda, the resulting automaker would theoretically be perfect. 

Honda gets the benefits of gm's global resources, gm gets, among other things, a line of bikes and personal watercraft (remember the idea a member had a while ago of a firebird sportbike :scratchchin:  )

Well more importantly than the watercraft, GM would get some silky, smooth engines to use in small and midsize sedans. :) I'm not saying GM doesn't have good engines, but I've driven the new Accord and and its powertrain is flawless. But even bigger than that, Honda has been recognized as having the best diesel engines in Europe. The European Accord's diesel engine has been raved about as being superior to any German competitor. But of course, GM has already paid a ton to buy FIAT's diesel engines. :banghead:

GM needs a pretty sizable infusion of cash to take care of its healthcare/UAW related burdens more than it needs a merger partner. GMs current and forthcoming technologies are some of the best the world has ever seen, from an innovation and reliability standpoint. I don't see how merging with Renault/Nissan, Honda, BMW, Ford, VW, Ferrari, Volga, or Tatra would get them anything.

The only one that would make any sense at all would be SAIC.

Between GM Daewoo, GM Holden, and GM-SAIC The oppurtunity would be there to Dominate all of Asia/Pacific outside of Japan.

Edited by Ghost Dog

GM has to convince KK and York that if they would have some patience the GM turnaround is working.

For the most part sales has stablized but KK did this to see Wagoner gone. And as far as right now Wagoner has the support of the board so GM might have a life line.

Everybody knows about economies of scales, but there are also dis-economies of scale.  Sometimes a company gets so big that it's just impossible to manage all of it effectively.  I think GM is fine and does not need any more partners.

Somtimes being large can insulate a company from bankruptcy. But I personally think that a Honda-VW/Audi-GM Merger would be good!

I would say Honda makes the most sense. Honda can supply small car know-how-suspensions, engines, etc. (Just please let them keep the Civic interior to themselves-it looks like it was designed by a cross-eyed mandrill).

GM could supply them with big trucks, transmissions, RWD platforms, things that GM does well.

GM-Ford. The "Big One" has a nice ring to it.

DCX is not even American. All their commercials call Chryslers "German Engineered" cars and they just talk about German technology. Screw DCX!

GM-Ford would be the largest automaker in the world. Cadillac and Lincoln could share platforms and Hummer and would fit nicely with Land Rover. Saab and Volvo could be quirky together. Mercury and Buick are a nice fit also.

GM-Ford by far makes the most sense.

Edited by SoCalCTS

How about a GM - Fiat  - Mitsubishi - Volga merger....

Wow... I have to clean up a lot of puke now. :puke::huh:

Honda? VW? Fu$% that, GM has planty of econobox FWD cars already!

Renault & Nissan would be better than most.

As said many times in other threads, the best partner for GM is GM.

Correct Sir.

So long as you line up and shoot every bean counter &

cookie company executive in the ranks. :yes: