Information about Renault

Thought this needed to be written after the Nissan-Renault deal possibility arose. Here is what I could gather.

Renault

Posted Image

Say Ray-no or Reh-no. Originally introduced to the US as Ren-alt, but this is not really the right pronunciation.

Notable: Debuting a solo manufacturer F1 team in 2002, they took 4th their first and second years. A move up to third in 2004 readied everyone for their takeover of first place from Ferrari in 2005. They are currently leading the 2006 standings with 121 points to Ferrari's 87.

Patented the first turbocharger back in 1899.

Current Lineup:

Twingo, city car:

Posted Image

Clio, supermini:

Posted Image

Mégane, small family car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Laguna, large family car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Vel Satis, executive car:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5f/Renault-Vel-Satis-Posted Image

Kangoo, mini MPV (being DC'ed):

Posted ImagePosted Image

Modus, mini MPV (replacement):

Posted ImagePosted Image

Scénic, compact MPV:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Continued in next post...

Espace, large MPV:

Posted Image

Peugeot-Citroën alliance (PSA)

Citroën

Posted Image

Say Sit-Roy-Yen. The logo refers to Citroën's early work the "herringbone" or double helical gear. (Can somebody explain this please?)

Notable: Won WRC championship, 2003-2005.

Built first truly affordable car for France after WWII. Essenially France's equivalent of the Beetle, the Citroën 2CV was extremely simple but produced from 1945 until 1990, selling more than 9 million units worldwide. Not exactly glamourous to look at, even compared to the Beetle:

Posted Image

They built the first FWD car back in 1934.

Current Lineup:

C1, city car:

Posted Image

C2, supermini:

Posted Image

C3, supermini:

Posted ImagePosted Image

C4, small family car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

C5, large family car:

Posted Image

C6, executive car:

Posted Image

C8, large MPV:

Posted Image

Peugeot

Posted Image

Say Poo-Jo, with the Jo sounding like the first syllable in Jolie, not like "Joe".

Notable: Won WRC championship, 2000-2002.

Current Lineup:

107, city car:

Posted Image

207, supermini:

Posted Image

307, small family car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

407, large family car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

607, executive car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

1007, mini MPV:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d6/Peugeot-1007-RC-Posted Image

807, large MPV (same as Citroen C8):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image%3a%50eugeot-807-GT-

4007, SUV:

Posted Image

Are you sure Renault and PSA are the same company? Wait, they're not at all.

Oh, i see what you wrote at the top but then what was the point of putting peugot and citroen on this list? If anything they probably make for Renaults greatest competitor.

Edited by X2222

If you're outlining Renault to better educate the GM fans, you need to go a little further.

There's Dacia. Dacia's primary product is the Logan, which is sold in many countries as a Renault. The car was designed to be a €5,000 car for emerging markets...and it's doing extremely well.

Then there's Samsung. This gives Renault an entry into the Korean market with Nissan-based products.

Of course there's Nissan, which Renault owns almost half.

Renault and GM (and Nissan) co-produce their full-sized vans for Europe.

Are you sure Renault and PSA are the same company? Wait, they're not at all.

Oh, i see what you wrote at the top but then what was the point of putting peugot and citroen on this list? If anything they probably make for Renaults greatest competitor.

Peugeot and Citroen were added for contrast - to show where Renault stands in their home French market, so we can see what kind of company they are by comparison.

If you're outlining Renault to better educate the GM fans, you need to go a little further.

There's Dacia. Dacia's primary product is the Logan, which is sold in many countries as a Renault. The car was designed to be a €5,000 car for emerging markets...and it's doing extremely well.

Then there's Samsung. This gives Renault an entry into the Korean market with Nissan-based products.

This is as much as I found with my research. If anyone knows anything about Dacia (maybe you?) feel free to add extra info in here.

PEUGOT IS NOT PART OF RENAULT!

Peugot/Citroen is a different automaker, just like GM and Ford are different automakers.

Furthermore, Renault has the *lamest* lineup of cars of any of the major European brands. I am not sure who is buying Renaults when there are so many other better choices in just about every segment: Volkswagens, Opels, Fiats, Ford, and even France's own Peugot/Citreon.

Peugot/Citroen on the other hand have a well deserved reputation for making popular, sporty cars. But Renaults are crap.

Edited by Shantanu

I want to add to the description of Renault as soneone who greaw up in Europe ..

The new designs (besides Clio which will be replaced next year) are a move similar to Toyota in US to make the cars less boring. They introduced this new "edgy" styling with completely vertical rear windows, with an executive sedan being based on Minivan, and looking like a minivan etc. The new design was quite well accepted, and brought about freshening of the styling in all other models on the EU market, including the Opels.

Renault defined the minivan market in Europe with thier Scenic back in the 80's, and has always been leader in offering MPV or single-box designed vehicles on their platforms. They have also been experimenting with crissing boundaries with different products (like the Vel Satis), or the Kangoo / Modus.

I am not too familiar with their chasis architectute, but unlike Peugeot which dominates WRC (along with Ford) or Citroen which dominates the Dakar rally, Renault is not that involved in stock car racing.

However they have been in F1 for many years.

They do lack a halo car, but they do have quite powerful versions of their Megane, which is their C-segment car and the Clio (a B-vehicle). The Clio also has a version with a v6.

Overall, like other French cars, Renaults are not known for technological advances, uberplush interiors or perfect handling, but they have been doing well (although I read they just started an important restructuring) French cars are bought for city driving, they are all FWD, appliances, that aim mostly at being unotrusive and letting the owners commute and run errands... they are very much like Nissans and Toyotas in the US.

I believe 20% of Renault is owned by the French Government.

Igor

PEUGOT IS NOT PART OF RENAULT!

Peugot/Citroen is a different automaker, just like GM and Ford are different automakers.

If you READ the article you will notice that I NEVER SAID they were the same!

You people need to learn how to read before you send criticism!

If you READ the article you will notice that I NEVER SAID they were the same!

You people need to learn how to read before you send criticism!

I read it and got confused for a minute too...but then again I did figure it out.

I'll put this against all of the vehicles mentioned in this thread.:D

Posted Image

What? A vehicle based on aniquated architecture, with excessive weight, laughable driving dynamics, thirsty engine, and questionable utility, wrapped in tinfoil?

I take ANY of the Renaults over an Escalade, thankyouverymuch.

Igor

What? A vehicle based on aniquated architecture, with excessive weight, laughable driving dynamics, thirsty engine, and questionable utility, wrapped in tinfoil?

Igor

I don't think so, you guys can have your 40K Euros Skodas.

I don't think so, you guys can have your 40K Euros Skodas.

I actually like Skodas .. although the VW's handle better.

And the 40k Superb is well worth it, as it is a rebadged Passat with a lower price.

no but seriosly, the Escalade is hardly the image of GM dominance... I would even take the current CTS.. the Corvette .. maybe the Kappas ... or even one of the Epsylons .. band if I really tried.. I could even accept some ofthe other GMT900's .. but not the escalade.

Igor

I actually like Skodas .. although the VW's handle better.

And the 40k Superb is well worth it, as it is a rebadged Passat with a lower price.

no but seriosly, the Escalade is hardly the image of GM dominance... I would even take the current CTS.. the Corvette .. maybe the Kappas ... or even one of the Epsylons .. band if  I really tried.. I could even accept some ofthe other GMT900's .. but not the escalade.

Igor

The Escalade is *exactly* the image of GM's dominance. GM's full size trucks and SUVs sell as many units in this country as Nissan's entire lineup put together.

Escalade is indeed the symbol of GM's truck dominance.

I don't think you can call the GMT900 architecture "antiquated" when it is best in class or second-best in class in every comparo. If 900 is antiquated, what isn't?

Escalade is indeed the symbol of GM's truck dominance.

I don't think you can call the GMT900 architecture "antiquated" when it is best in class or second-best in class in every comparo.  If 900 is antiquated, what isn't?

I call BOF antiquated .. for the purposes SUV's are used for .. minivan would do .. or a unibody CUV - with better ride quality, more interior space, and better fuel economy. .... that is all ... (not a big fan of SUV's as you might notice) -

I see the whole - towing etc points, but they are weak compared to the fact that most people never tow above the limits of a V6 minivan..

Igor

Edited by Igor2

Igor

Judging by your response, name, and preffrence of Renaults I can guess you are in Europe. Now being that as it may an Escalade likely wouldn't work in your city. American roadways, which is what the GMT900 Escalade was designed for, are larger and our cities are much more spread out than those in Europe. We could say that the designs of the Renaults are unfinished, tiny, and underpowered but that would be with the American, and by that I mean North American, preffrence for larger more powerful cars.

Also the level of Luxury that you get in an Escalade would outclass ANY of the other cars in the thread combined. An Escalade is not lacking in leg room in ANY row. Also it is quiet and smooth as silk on the highway and has plenty of power to accelerate at any time it needs to. It will never leave you unable to climb a hill and it will drive through snow with little problem, up to a certain level of snow where it just couldn't push it out of the way due to traction limitations (though it does come with AWD standard).

To compare a vehicle out of its elements is purely stupid and to judge a vehicle without driving it and comparing it to its competition and within its class is foolish. I suggest that you only comment on what you know.

That being said I think the exterior design of the Citrogen C2 looks rather interesting.

*Shakes head*

The U.S. (and to a lesser extent, Canada) are an anomolies in all the world. At two and three dollars a LITRE there won't be many takers for Tahoes in Europe.

We are one hurricane or terrorist attack away from paying $100 a barrel of oil. Europeans are ready for that. Are we?

*Shakes head*

The U.S. (and to a lesser extent, Canada) are an anomolies in all the world.  At two and three dollars a LITRE there won't be many takers for Tahoes in Europe.

We are one hurricane or terrorist attack away from paying $100 a barrel of oil.  Europeans are ready for that.  Are we?

How many cars were sold in the US vs Europe last year? An anomoly yes but a VERY big one. Large enough to skew world statistics in our favor.

What was the highest volume platform in the world last year?

Likely Toyota Camry followed by GM's GMT800 trucks and SUVs.

Judging by your response, name, and preffrence of Renaults I can guess you are in Europe.  Now being that as it may an Escalade likely wouldn't work in your city.  American roadways, which is what the GMT900 Escalade was designed for, are larger and our cities are much more spread out than those in Europe.  We could say that the designs of the Renaults are unfinished, tiny, and underpowered but that would be with the American, and by that I mean North American, preffrence for larger more powerful cars. 

Also the level of Luxury that you get in an Escalade would outclass ANY of the other cars in the thread combined.  An Escalade is not lacking in leg room in ANY row.  Also it is quiet and smooth as silk on the highway and has plenty of power to accelerate at any time it needs to.  It will never leave you unable to climb a hill and it will drive through snow with little problem, up to a certain level of snow where it just couldn't push it out of the way due to traction limitations (though it does come with AWD standard).

To compare a vehicle out of its elements is purely stupid and to judge a vehicle without driving it and comparing it to its competition and within its class is foolish.  I suggest that you only comment on what you know.

That being said I think the exterior design of the Citrogen C2 looks rather interesting.

I grew up in Europe, but have lived in the US for over 5 years. I also drove an Expedition for 4 years..... I do understand the point of SUV's but when talking about passanger cars, they are really not a good example of engineering excellence.. BOF is a workhorse chasis architecture. Automakers can make a passenger cars stiffer and lighter with unitbody than BOF - however so far has not ben able to replicate the very top end of the BOF capabilitiues - the 1/2 ton truck and above.

My view was simply, that BOF as important as it is on both sides of the ocean as workhorse, is not a cutting edge innovative technology - sure it is perfected by now, but it is an antiquated architecture, misused in many passenger cars like SUV's, where this technology brings more trouble (weight, driving dynamics) than any benefits (towing capacity). That is all..

I think GM has muche better vehicles to pit against Renault / Nissan offerings to claim GM being superior to the French / Japanese alliance - a BOF vehicle, unless we are talking serious heavy duty trucks is not it. After all, Renault makes their share of BOF wokrhorses in Europe, and with the lower wight and powerful diesels, they would be well capable of competing with the GM 1/2 ton offerings... (but I believe not much above)

Igor

How many cars were sold in the US vs Europe last year?  An anomoly yes but a VERY big one.  Large enough to skew world statistics in our favor.

the F150 is still the world best selling vehicle .. that gives you na idea how important US is in the global sense.

I believe Ford's C1 or GM's epsyllon (or the Epsyllon 2 is slatted to become the global leader) .. (I am quite sure the Focus nameplate is the global best selling passenger car)

Igor

I see the whole - towing etc points, but they are weak compared to the fact that most people never tow above the limits of a V6 minivan..

Igor

That's not entirely true. Most people don't, but when looking at Tahoe buyers they sure do! That's why GM has kept the live axle instead of going to IRS...a significant portion of their buyers use it for towing purposes, so they did not want to leave them out in the cold.

Most people who buy BOF SUVs really should buy unibody SUVs (or minivans...yuck) if they were meeting their needs and not just trying to be trendy. Problem is...no automaker has created a minivan that was fun to drive, and SUVs are generally characterized as being fun to drive...and in that aspect, no, a minivan would not suit their needs at all.

After all, Renault makes their share of BOF wokrhorses in Europe, and with the lower wight and powerful diesels, they would be well capable of competing with the GM 1/2 ton offerings... (but I believe not much above)

Igor

Renault owns both Volvo and Mack truck. Volvo is big in class 8 (over the road) as well as trash trucks!! Mack is big in Class 8 as well as numerous vocational applications (construction site stuff - dirt haulers -etc.)

Mercedes owns Freightliner, Sterling, Thomas Bus and Western Star. The former sells over the road as well as many class 7 and 6 applications, etc. Western Star is mostly over-the -road owner operated trucks.

Freighliner also owns Detroit diesel. This was formerly GM's truck diesel. GM sold out to Pensky (the same guy that is going to distribute the Smart car) who turned the operation around ito a money maker and then sold Detroit Diesel to Freightliner.

Peterbuilt and Kenworth are co-owned and are American last time I heard.

The French government owns 15% (not 20) of Renault. Not that that makes much difference.

Peugeot/Citreon owns Michellin tire company.

Edited by haypops

*Shakes head*

The U.S. (and to a lesser extent, Canada) are an anomolies in all the world.  At two and three dollars a LITRE there won't be many takers for Tahoes in Europe.

We are one hurricane or terrorist attack away from paying $100 a barrel of oil.  Europeans are ready for that.  Are we?

How are they ready for it? What's the difference between paying $6 a gallon and getting 30 MPG and paying $3 a gallon and getting 15 MPG?

Member 55, if you can't see the difference then that is the problem. I don't see any where in the Consitution where it is written that it is a God given right to consume all of the planet's resources as fast as possible....do you?

When countries like Denmark, Brazil and others are striving to become energy self-sufficient, what is the U.S. doing? I understand market realities and how many people deplore Big Government, etc., but the biggest threat to American national security now is her reliance on 60% of her energy to be imported. Or are you not paying attention to what is happening in Venezuela?

If my Aveo gets 45 mpg on the highway and your Explorer gets 25 mpg, that just means I can drive nearly twice as much as you, so if we have rationing (as in 1974) I can still get to work while you won't be able to.

It is more than just how much money we end up spending on energy. I know Katrina really made me sit up and pay attention. How can so much of one country's energy be so vulnerable? That is silly strategic planning - Oh, I'm sorry, that is market economics (supply close to refinery) with no strategic planning (Big Government). I wonder if Al Queda is listening.

How many cars were sold in the US vs Europe last year?  An anomoly yes but a VERY big one.  Large enough to skew world statistics in our favor.

Europe and the US are about the same size in light-vehicle sales.

Highest volume platform in the world? Probably Volkswagen's A5 (Golf/Jetta) and Renault's B platform will be the top seller next year. By 2012, GMT900 (or its replacement) will rank sixth.

Thanks for the explanation of the french car companies and the following arguments. Another thing about the US and its oil needs....we have oil reserves, we have enough oil to make the company self-sufficient when it comes to oil needs. However, we do have alliances and contracts with those nice arab people in the Persian Gulf to buy THEIR oil at whatever price THEY set. Meanwhile we ship our oil to everyone else because we're the "good neighbor" that everyone (except North Korea and Iran) wants. I say we do something that I once saw that Robin Williams said.

Lets go up to everywhere we import oil from and tell them that we'll pay them $5 a barrel for oil and if they don't like it, go sell it elsewhere whilst we take our own oil supplies and USE them for OUR own purposes. Then again, I guess I'm just being introverted and don't give a damn about the rest of the world (oh wait, I sometimes DON'T give a damn about the rest of the world).

Thanks for the explanation of the french car companies and the following arguments.  Another thing about the US and its oil needs....we have oil reserves, we have enough oil to make the company self-sufficient when it comes to oil needs.  However, we do have alliances and contracts with those nice arab people in the Persian Gulf to buy THEIR oil at whatever price THEY set.  Meanwhile we ship our oil to everyone else because we're the "good neighbor" that everyone (except North Korea and Iran) wants.  I say we do something that I once saw that Robin Williams said. 

Lets go up to everywhere we import oil from and tell them that we'll pay them $5 a barrel for oil and if they don't like it, go sell it elsewhere whilst we take our own oil supplies and USE them for OUR own purposes.  Then again, I guess I'm just being introverted and don't give a damn about the rest of the world (oh wait, I sometimes DON'T give a damn about the rest of the world).

No love for anybody? Canada? Britain?

???????????????????? Has someone been smoking pot again? Let me get this straight - the United States of America EXPORTS its oil??? The United States of America is SELF SUFFICIENT in oil reserves???

I must have missed that show on Discovery Channel.

All right, I might have been a bit overzealous when I said, as is, the US is self-sufficient in its oil reserves. I know that oil is exported to Canada, Britain, Japan, etc, now as far as exact numbers, I don't have them, I honestly don't, so I can't show them. I know that there are oil reserves here in the US that haven't even been tapped yet, sure some are in a wild alaskan caribou mating ground and there are some tree huggers worried about the caribou humping properly, but the point is, they are there and can/should be used.

I call BOF antiquated .. for the purposes SUV's are used for .. minivan would do .. or a unibody CUV - with better ride quality, more interior space, and better fuel economy. .... that is all ... (not a big fan of SUV's as you might notice) -

Igor

162367[/snapback]

The Escalade is ok as a truckish luxury SUV, but for a luxury SUV, I find the X5, ML, Range Rover, and Cayenne much more desirable..the Escalade's gaudy 'bling-bling' image is just a big turn-off to me.

Edited by moltar

Igor

162367[/snapback]

A minivan can't extend your penis or show off your bling anywhere nearly as well as the Escalade can.

A minivan can't extend your penis or show off your bling anywhere nearly as well as the Escalade can.

163768[/snapback]

But I think an Escalade built off lambda with a blown Northstar could do it.

Even Rush Limbaugh might get UP for something like that.

Citroen built THEIR first FWD car in 1934....

THE first FWD car was built long before that.

One of the first notable ones was the 1929

Cord L29.

Posted Image

Is this a retractable convertible hardtop or

a true hardtop with no B-pillar but a fixed roof? :huh:

Citroen built THEIR first FWD car in 1934....

THE first FWD car was built long before that.

One of the first notable ones was the 1929

Cord L29.

Posted Image

Is this a retractable convertible hardtop or

a true hardtop with no B-pillar but a fixed roof? :huh:

163786[/snapback]

a hardtop convertible:

Posted Image

Posted Image

they also have a very hot Wagon version of the Megane, which looks especially badass with some optional bodywork:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course a Sedan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a HB (they also have a 3d HB)

Posted Image

and a Megane RenaultSport 225

Posted Image

225hp 4banger

I think Megane is a great compact - I would even pit it against the Cobalt (or Astra), and I am sure it would win in the minds of US buying public - it is truly a great car (not so much some other Renault, models, but in Europe the C-segment is the bread-and butter, so most manufacturers shine right there).

Igor

Igor

The US could be completely self suffcient on oil if it just developed the resources it has. The oil shale projects of the Western US have more reserves than the Saudis and possibly the entire rest of the world. The coal deposits in the US, which can be used to make synthetic gasoline, diesel or jet fuel could supply all of our needs for over a hundred years. Crude prices only need to stay above $30 a barrel to make those options viable. It's time to work on them and the obstacles some place in the path of their development.

• 2 weeks later...

a hardtop convertible:

Posted Image

Posted Image

they also have a very hot Wagon version of the Megane, which looks especially badass with some optional bodywork:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course a Sedan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a HB (they also have a 3d HB)

Posted Image

and a Megane RenaultSport 225

Posted Image

225hp 4banger

I think Megane is a great compact - I would even pit it against the Cobalt (or Astra), and I am sure it would win in the minds of US buying public - it is truly a great car (not so much some other Renault, models, but in Europe the C-segment is the bread-and butter, so most manufacturers shine right there).

Igor

Igor

163806[/snapback]

Ya, very true, here in Canada, we are missing French cars, I'm sure they would sell well in Quebec :P I doubt that they would make a splash in the USA. The Americans have a different mentality to buying cars, to them, everything bigger is better. In Canada, people worry about gas prices and high insurance rates.

Thought this needed to be written after the Nissan-Renault deal possibility arose. Here is what I could gather.

Renault

Posted Image

Say Ray-no or Reh-no. Originally introduced to the US as Ren-alt, but this is not really the right pronunciation.

Notable: Debuting a solo manufacturer F1 team in 2002, they took 4th their first and second years. A move up to third in 2004 readied everyone for their takeover of first place from Ferrari in 2005. They are currently leading the 2006 standings with 121 points to Ferrari's 87.

Patented the first turbocharger back in 1899.

Current Lineup:

Twingo, city car:

Posted Image

Clio, supermini:

Posted Image

Mégane, small family car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Laguna, large family car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Vel Satis, executive car:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kangoo, mini MPV (being DC'ed):

Posted ImagePosted Image

Modus, mini MPV (replacement):

Posted ImagePosted Image

Scénic, compact MPV:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Continued in next post...

161521[/snapback]

The Kangoo continues and will evenutlaly replaced by a new model. It's not a mini MPV, but primarily a light van, also available in passenger (and 4x4) versions. This is the market an HHR Panelvan would target in the US. The Modus is an A/B-segment MPV, much smaller and designed as a city car.

161709[/snapback]

Renault and GM co-produce the midsize vans (Trafic/Vivaro and a Nissan version), the fullsize vans (Master/Movano etc.) are produced solely by a Renault subsidiary and simply sold by Opel/Vauxhall. There is also a rwd fullsize van (Master Propulsion) developed and sold jointly by Renault and Renault Trucks (Volvo) and produced by the same subsidiary.

I want to add to the description of Renault as soneone who greaw up in Europe ..

The new designs (besides Clio which will be replaced next year) are a move similar to Toyota in US to make the cars less boring. They introduced this new "edgy" styling with completely vertical rear windows, with an executive sedan being based on Minivan, and looking like a minivan etc. The new design was quite well accepted, and brought about freshening of the styling in all other models on the EU market, including the Opels.

Renault defined the minivan market in Europe with thier Scenic back in the 80's, and has always been leader in offering MPV or single-box designed vehicles on their platforms. They have also been experimenting with crissing boundaries with different products (like the Vel Satis), or the  Kangoo / Modus.

I am not too familiar with their chasis architectute, but unlike Peugeot which dominates WRC (along with Ford) or Citroen which dominates the Dakar rally, Renault is not that involved in stock car racing.

However they have been in F1 for many years.

They do lack a halo car, but they do have quite powerful versions of their Megane, which is their C-segment car and the Clio (a B-vehicle). The Clio also has a version with a v6.

Igor

162064[/snapback]

There was a Clio Renault Sport V6, actually mid-engined and rwd, viurtually hand-assembled, I think by the Alpine subsidiary which used to make sports cars and which has been sadly neglected in recent years.

Renault defined the European minivan market with the Espace, actually designed and produced by an independant company named Matra Automobile and featuring a plastic body. They also produced a coupe, not a sedan, based on a later-generation Espace, but sales were poor and after Renault brought Espace production in-house with the latest-generation steel-bodid version Matra ceased production. Pininfarina bought the engineering business and the plant now assembles electric bikes and DCX's GEM electric vehicles for European sale.

In the late '90s the 5-seat Megane Scenic breathed new life into the C-MPV market invented by the Japanese in the early '80s with the 7-seat Mitsubishi Chariot/Nimbus (sold in the US as well) and Nissan Prairie. By the time the Scenic appeared both had grown much larger, although Mitsubishi was still selling a newer series of C-segment MPV/wagons in Europe. Opel resurrected the 7-seat C-MPV shortly afterward with the Zafira, and everybody else (including Renault with the new Grand Scenic) has had to follow suit (PSA's models are still pending, although the 307 is available in a tall 7-seat wagon).

The Kangoo is just one example of a primarily European phenomenom, the compact 2-box LCV. Originally crude 2-door panel-vans based on chopped B- and C-segment hatchbacks with a van body (similar to the Colorado Astrovan), almost every manufacturer now produces more sophisticated, dedicated commercial vans, usually with sliding rear doors in both cargo and passenger versions. some are available in both low- and high-roof versions, in short and long-wheelbases and with as many as 3-rows of seating. Ford, Opel, VW Nutzfahrzeug (utility vehicles), Mercedes Vans, PSA and Fiat Veicoli Commerciali all produce them (although the rather expensive A-class–based Mercedes will soon be dropped). Although Toyota once produced something similar called the Deliboy the Japanese have stuck with compact and sub-compact–platform forward-control vans in this segment, primarily used by small contractors, couriers, appliance stores, florists, delis, any kind of delivery or mobile service business that doesn't need a larger van.

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings