National Coming Out Day

Never heard of this before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Coming_Out_Day

National Coming Out Day is observed on October 11 by members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities and their allies. It is highly encouraged for participants in this movement to wear red to signify to the world their desire for everyone to know who they are and what they believe in.

The day commemorates October 11, 1987, when 500,000 people marched on Washington, USA, for gay and lesbian equality. National Coming Out Day events are aimed at raising awareness of the LGBT community among the general populace in an effort to give a familiar face to the LGBT rights movement.

In the United States, the Human Rights Campaign manages the event under the National Coming Out Project offering resources to LGBT couples, parents and their children as well as straight friends and relatives to promote awareness of LGBT families living honest and open lives.

Candace Gingrich became the spokesperson for the day in April 1995.

Despite its name, National Coming Out Day is observed worldwide.

:cheers: Ya same here!

:lol: National Coming Out Day. . .  give me a break!

203805[/snapback]

Not that I would have declared it a national event, I can understand why people feel this is so important. I for one never want to feel as disgusted with lying about my entire life to everyone I love, ever again.

I hate that I have to do it at work.

Still don't think we need a day though :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for Single White Italian Male Ages 18-34 Appreciation Day.

:P

203809[/snapback]

*raises hand*

EDIT: haha, Z28, when I looked at that again, I didn't want you to think I was offering myself! I was just saying, I agree with that there should be a day for that :lol:

Edited by Paolino

Nos.....

:P  :P

203904[/snapback]

haha. No, really, last night I saw this thread and was going to comment "Aww damn, a holiday passed and I didn't get to skip any classes because of it." Then I figured someone would say something, so I left the thread. :P

Heh I wwas talking about this with one of my bros last night over hookah...our chapter definitely has a few gay guys, but they're really cool so it doesn't matter. The ones who piss us off though are the two so thoroughly entrenched in the closet...and homophobic. Not cool.

I can see why its important to (gay) people. (I hate the use of that word....gay ! thats not what it means.) I can see its importance however, it must be one of the hardest steps to make. An example on my behalf is........my father found out (from me) I was having a baby.............less than a month before she was born. We were'nt married and I didnt want to get married and I didnt want to hear about it, or get into the discussion. The hurt look in my fathers eyes when he found out I kept this from him is unforgetable. I realize this is not the same look (gay) people would usually get but Im just saying I know about things that are hard to discuss or hidden from the parents. My smoking was always hiddin too, not that anyone was fooled, I just prefered to keep it out of any conversations and out of site........in the closet so to speak.

I think most of you would find everyone already knows and also doesnt care to get into the conversation.

However, all that said

Got pussy ?....... 8)

i came out of the closet today.  But then I went back inside.  ?

203992[/snapback]

Those with walk-in closets come out of the closet on a daily basis. :lol:

Razor, I'm with you, I don't like the use of that word either. "Gay" as read in stories in grammar school meant happy. How the word got derailed into meaning homosexuality is beyond me.

Edited by trinacriabob

How the word got derailed into meaning homosexuality is beyond me.

204175[/snapback]

It was fairly commonly used secondary term <like fairy or fag> before the Stonewall riot. It became more of a primary identifier after the riot, which occurred on Gay Street in NYC.

Never heard of this before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Coming_Out_Day

National Coming Out Day is observed on October 11 by members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) communities and their allies. It is highly encouraged for participants in this movement to wear red to signify to the world their desire for everyone to know who they are and what they believe in.

The day commemorates October 11, 1987, when 500,000 people marched on Washington, USA, for gay and lesbian equality. National Coming Out Day events are aimed at raising awareness of the LGBT community among the general populace in an effort to give a familiar face to the LGBT rights movement.

In the United States, the Human Rights Campaign manages the event under the National Coming Out Project offering resources to LGBT couples, parents and their children as well as straight friends and relatives to promote awareness of LGBT families living honest and open lives.

Candace Gingrich became the spokesperson for the day in April 1995.

Despite its name, National Coming Out Day is observed worldwide.

203770[/snapback]

Darn... I come out about a month early last year. :P

haha. No, really, last night I saw this thread and was going to comment "Aww damn, a holiday passed and I didn't get to skip any classes because of it." Then I figured someone would say something, so I left the thread. :P

203947[/snapback]

Oh sNOSage... :D

Werd.

Not sure why straight guys are even commenting on this, it has nothing to do with them. Shut your traps, breeders. :D

203951[/snapback]

:withstupid: :gay: Haha... I never seen that smiley before until this thread.

He has problems with straight guys commenting, but no problem with the straight guy who posted it?Why so hostile anyways, cd/bp?

204542[/snapback]

Simple. You didn't make a mindless post like "Wow. Another pointless day."

Like Drew said, sort of a joke to those of us who are out...but important to those who aren't.

Edited by CD/BP

It was fairly commonly used secondary term <like fairy or fag> before the Stonewall riot. It became more of a primary identifier after the riot, which occurred on Gay Street in NYC.

204338[/snapback]

Is this really true ? That is the soul reason the word gay was chosen ? So its by coinscience ? I actually know nothing about that riot.

The other terms that were used, were so misused and turned vulgar that they sound vulgar. I looked gay and queer up in dictionary and unfortunatly queer is a fairly accurate discription but its rude and vulgar sounding. No matter what you do to the word gay it doesnt sound vulgar or insulting. So thats why it works for everyone. But I know for a fact my parents generation and my Grandparents generations used the term gay all the time to describe fun times. Thats why it bothers me, now you dont dare use the term except for referencing homosexuality. If I went to work and told the guys "I feel gay today".........well, I would only be slightly less popular.

Somehow when I hear

"Have a yabadaba gay ol time".......I dont picture Fred and Barney doing the wild thing. HOWEVER.............Wilma and Betty....................oh yea ! works for me.......... :lol: when the boys are at work ya know.......

Something about moccasins and walking a mile...

204552[/snapback]

Yeah, I remember that one. Before you criticize someone, it's better to walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes. :P

Seriously though, I didn't mean to come off as non-caring. I tend to get annoyed at all these "days of recognition". They way I feel, you should be recognizing those things every day of your life. Most of these "holidays" end up being exercises in hypocrisy. For instance, take Mother's Day. You're supposed to show appreciation for Mom on the 2nd sunday of May. Great, so on that day you buy her flowers and take her out to dinner. Now what's your relationship with her the other 364 days a year? I just don't see the need for any of these holidays, when I'm called to treat everyone with love and respect every day of my life.

This might be a bad explanation, but it's late for me, and I'm battling a cold and the NyQuil's starting to kick in.

Werd.

Not sure why straight guys are even commenting on this, it has nothing to do with them. Shut your traps, breeders. :D

203951[/snapback]

Assume for a moment that C&G threads could be catalogued into "sex / sexual / relationships," "car problems," "current events," "(name of specific car) reviews and opinions" and yada-yada, the thread on "sex / sexual / relationships" would almost always be the best attended on this board. And you can always count on the fact that the posts and certain posters will be opinionated, divided, caustic and heated.

Posted Image

Gawd she's hottt!

204670[/snapback]

No, Sat, not like that. It was her German accent and how she said "uRRRologist," "teRRRapy," and "you tRRRy dat." Have you ever watched her on a talk show? It's impossible NOT to fall out of your chair.

Is this really true ? That is the soul reason the word gay was chosen ? So its by coinscience ? I actually know nothing about that riot.

204573[/snapback]

Gay meaning homosexual was used limitedly before the Stonewall riots. It was the riots though that brought the term mainstream.

My parents gave my youngest sister the middle name "Gay," but that was 1967. The best advice I ever gave her was to NOT tell any of her friends her middle name when she entered high school!

Seriously, days of empowerment are more about creating dialogue in the public at large, which by the way this thread has taken on a life is exactly what it is supposed to do.

And there is nothing funny about the history of the name Fag, which comes from the English "bundle of sticks," which is what they used to burn homosexuals with a few hundred years ago. Being as there are places in the world that still stone us, everyone - straight and gay, needs to bo cognizant of the fact that all our rights are tenuous and can be taken away at any moment.

That being said, I call many of my friends "fags," but that is more about taking back a negative word, much like black people are trying to take back the N word.

We should have a sex/relationship advice forum.  On second thought, no.

204666[/snapback]

My advice would always be

"when in doubt.........hump it !"

Gay meaning homosexual was used limitedly before the Stonewall riots. It was the riots though that brought the term mainstream.

Was that street "Gay Ave" or whatever a coincidence or chosen ?

comes from the English "bundle of sticks,"

I didnt know that, I knew cigarette but could never understand how they correlated that.

I believe as time passes things will become easier and more acceptable for gays.

I too have a distant cousin named Gay.........also one named Joy. There is a property at the top of the hill that is owned by "The Gays" know for decades as "The Gay Place"....long before Gay was determined to be the politically correct word. How about this ?"Oh Joy........here comes the Gays".... :lol:

I have thought alot about this and I gladly grant you the word gay, its is the only word to be used that doesnt sound demeaning.

Rob Halford (if I spelled that correctly) from Judas Priest devestated the macho heavy metal boys egos when he "came out". I even remember a few arguements with my "Metal" friends about vocalists. They always claimed Halford to be the "Opera" capable vocalist of Metal. I always said "No way! You want opera level you look to Freddie Mercury" They would always get this funny look and say something along the lines of "but he's queer"

Truth is Geoff Tate is the real Opera level vocalist of metal

I think he was busy planning the next (very heterosexual) fraternity initiation ritual with his bros. Something about making pledges drink cheap beer from an unspecified orifice maybe? Don't quote me on that. :scratchchin: Edited by ocnblu