Pics of pimped out G6 from Pontiac.com

That lower intake is straight from the concept G6.

This car just needs the concept's ruby tail lights and more prominent grille, and it will be as it was meant to be.

+ Projector Headlights + Concept like interior

That lower intake is straight from the concept G6.

This car just needs the concept's ruby tail lights and more prominent grille, and it will be as it was meant to be.

204039[/snapback]

For comparison:

Posted ImagePosted Image

EDIT: and the rear:

Posted ImagePosted Image

-RBB

Edited by RBB

Looks very good, and I was going to say the same thing as Superfly - the car is very similar to the concept. I am happy for the brand differentiation GM gives its customers. This is not a SAAB, a Chevrolet, or Saturn. Clearly, it is a Pontiac. :deadhorse:

The concept to production G6 is a clinical example of what a few subtle lines can do to dramatically change the image of the car.

G6 production more feminine, lines less subtle, more overt and less romantic.

The lines on the fascia, the bumper and the hood are too much, overdone, the concept handles that Pontiac trait much better. The pinched headlights on the production that come to a sharp point are Japanese looking and lend the G6 an Accord vibe.

Dramatically arched beltline that is handled much better on the concept. Again the surfacing on the doors is stouter, much more active looking and manly---grace. This car exhibits grace. The roofline and greenhouse, C-pillar all deal with the wheelbase issue much much better than the production version. Again the surfacing on the doors and overall squat wide look work real well.

To the rear everything is a mess on the production version. The Pontiac typical placement of the eyes and familiar upright leading edge of the trunk and the license plate shape are all completely Grand Am. Basically that rear is the Grand Am with different taillamps. The concept is much more Acura. Again, the details matter and make the huge difference. The ruby red taillights are classy and well detailed, the gentle slope of the trunk and bumper, the overall less flat look of it all, less upright and smoother, lending yet again to that 4 door coupe look. This is the prototype for the MB CLS....look at the similarities!!

Imagine how much better this car would be doing if it were what we got instead of the mostly poorly executed production version!! GM looked at the G6 and decided it didn't look enough like the Grand AM, and that it would encroach on the Grand Prix by looking way too luxurious/expressive/classy [am I putting too much though in it]. That second point I am not sure of, it makes a lot of sense, but the Grand Am reference is clearly there, there is a crapload of old Pontiac in this car, too much, it should have continued to move far away to the original beautiful image of the concept. It should have moved completely in that direction. It may not be too late to do it, I think it's a classy good look and the rendition of the Pontiac grille works well here for me, with the eyes on a completely different plane from where the mouth finishes and the lower grille completing the face.

The "Did it stand the test of time" test is necessary here....the concept looks modern now and it was clearly ahead of its time when it debuted. The production version looks current, but it's always been kind of awkward, although GTP cleans it up a lot.

G6 concept reminds me a lot of the classic, clean but stout and sporty last generation Gran Prix, a great example of what Pontiac should be, and a car that sold very well.

The concept looks like a $32k on the high end, and on the low end at least $22k car. They should have completely dropped the Gran Prix and marketed this car like the replacement for both, with expensive features, engines, materials, design throughout. It would have been the car to kill at Pontiac. Remember when we were all so excited by the concept? What a letdown this car has turned out to be. sorry, G6 fans, it's a solid car, just nothing special like we know GM is capable of doing.

The Pontiac typical placement of the eyes and familiar upright leading edge of the trunk and the license plate shape are all completely Grand Am. Basically that rear is the Grand Am with different taillamps.

GM looked at the G6 and decided it didn't look enough like the Grand AM, and that it would encroach on the Grand Prix by looking way too luxurious/expressive/classy [am I putting too much though in it]. That second point I am not sure of, it makes a lot of sense, but the Grand Am reference is clearly there, there is a crapload of old Pontiac in this car, too much, it should have continued to move far away to the original beautiful image of the concept.

204481[/snapback]

Coming from a fan of the Grand Am the G6 replaced... I disagree and don't see any Grand Am in it. I've said it before. I see typical Pontiac in it in places... but not Grand Am. The rear of the prod G6 is just a flatter, blander, more upright version of the concept G6's rear. But with that, the concept is much more better looking and sexy, there's no denying that. I just dont see any Grand Am... I see a typical GM concept to production transition. Same design, different look, loss of details.

Anywho... the only thing I dislike about the G6 concept is it's grill. It's ugly.

As for the accessories... Eh... the chrome lower grill looks good. The rest doesnt.

The concept and production pics by each other just further proves that the concept is so much sexier and better looking than the production model. I will forever dislike the G6 cuz the concept was so much better.

I would so have bought the concept...I wouldn't be caught dead in the actual car. Oh well.

Edited by Dodgefan

How in the hell does a mild ground FX kit and polished rims deem a car as being "pimped out"?.

A pimp wouldn't be caught dead in that car.

"Pimped out", my ass Mutha F**ka

204444[/snapback]

"pimped out" wasn't the emphasis of the subject. I wasn't using it in the same sense as you are. I just meant accessorized.

Looking again, that tail sort of reappeared on the Pontiac Cobalt... I mean Pursuit... I mean G5 coupe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Except the top edge of the trunk is closer to the G6. All they really need to do is move the backup light to the bumper on the production G6.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Seriously, this car isn't so dissimilar from the concept as everyone claims. Remember that this wasn't the Aura, which was a show car versus a real concept. The Aura was built on an existing structure; the G6 was not.

204387[/snapback]

the production version completely lacks the 'shoulders' of the concept and the 'gait' as well. The grille and hood are more well defined on the concept. the concept looks more serious and believable. the production version looks nice, it just doesn't have the presence of the concept. Clearly, having to share the 'not wide enough for a real mid size' Epsilon platform killed its styling effect. I make a similar anonolgy to the Auroras. the original had a substantial presence to it. the 01+ Aurora, while nice, clearly did not have the stance and grace of the original.

A lot of it the size of the greenhouse in proportion to the rest of the body. On the concept, in the front quarter view, the greenhouse is not so dominant on the car. on the prod version, it looks huge. The aurora also had the same thing.

Edited by regfootball

Maybe the simulator can't color the ground effects (which are overkill, imo).

I agree with Toni. The backup lights would look better in the bumper on the production G6 (the last Grand Am had two sets of backup lights, one in the main lens, another in the bumper). That would allow for more distinct ribbing in the red taillight lenses. and I love the concept's exhaust treatment, although it may not be practical for production, since the exhaust needs to have its own rubber mounting system for engine torquing, etc. and probably could not be tightly mounted like to a bumper.

A lot of the things people love about the concept just would not be practical for production. IMO, the concept was made to fit the production platform. A concept is made with almost no practical considerations, and I think Pontiac did a pretty good job in the translation.

So being "pimped" has a bunch of different meanings now?,if you say so.

204734[/snapback]

Geez, yesterday I would've thought someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but two days in a row? I dunno man. You seriously think this is worth bickering over? :huh:

I went to Pontiac's website, customized the car, took a screenshot of every single angle, edited out all the little arrows and squares that they had on it, cropped the pictures, uploaded to my space... just so that I could show them to you guys who haven't seen it, and this is the thanks I get. Going to have to think twice before posting stuff here again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest YellowJacket894

The concept and production pics by each other just further proves that the concept is so much sexier and better looking than the production model. I will forever dislike the G6 cuz the concept was so much better.

I would so have bought the concept...I wouldn't be caught dead in the actual car. Oh well.

Actually, this was the original concept.

Posted Image

Don't know what to really make of it, either.

Actually, this was the original concept.

Posted Image

Don't know what to really make of it, either.

207409[/snapback]

Not actually... That was the Grand Am before Lutz took over. The final G6 production was essentially that Grand Am but with styling based on the G6 concept. There's an actual picture of the Grand Am prototype somewhere...