Sign in to follow this  
PurdueGuy

Opel Astra Sedan unveiled

48 posts in this topic

Seems like I saw this on C&G somewhere already, but it should be in the Saturn section as well...

We already know that the Opel Astra will appear here in the US as the next Saturn Ion.

Opel has unveiled a new Astra sedan for "growth markets," particularly Eastern Europe, where like the US, there is a demand for the notchbacks...

this car and the Brazilian-market Chevrolet Vectra sedan are one and the same, so despite Opel releasing only two photos, we can show you what the car looks like from every angle.

Article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/20/opel-as...new-saturn-ion/

My cousin owns a Holden Astra, albeit a previous generation. Great little car, and a mystery to me why GM hadn't brought it over sooner...

Oh well, this one looks terrific.

Is it my imagination or do the first few pics (Opel badged) look like it has a different front fascia on it more resembling Aura/Vectra & Astra(hatch) while the ones below (Chevy badged) have more of Cobalt style headlights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not crazy about the radio controls, but the rest of the car looks pretty nice.

Is it my imagination or do the first few pics (Opel badged) look like it has a different front fascia on it more resembling Aura/Vectra & Astra(hatch) while the ones below (Chevy badged) have more of Cobalt style headlights.

Posted Image

Posted Image

207357[/snapback]

two different cars for different markets are shown over at autoblog. one is the astra sedan for europe [and us] and the other is the brazilian market vectra sedan. they are the same cars with slightly different front fascias, the vectra retained the look of the old astra a little and yet changed names to capitalize on success of old vectra [doesn't make sense to me either]. the top car with the aura like front fascia will be what we get

Looks very well-tailored and much more grown up than ION, but no doubt they won't be able to sell it for $10k like the current car. They really need the Corsa at the very entry-level position.

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. Aside from the taillights, it looks like a Cobalt Sedan whose owner got a gift certificate to JC Whitney. It's better than the Ion, but there's still something awkward about it. The 3dr hatch is much sexier.

I'm hoping we get the 3-and 5-door hatches for a level of uniqueness. Edited by ocnblu

I'll be the first to say I don't like it. Aside from the taillights, it looks like a Cobalt Sedan whose owner got a gift certificate to JC Whitney. It's better than the Ion, but there's still something awkward about it. The 3dr hatch is much sexier.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.. I'm really hoping that the US/Euro front end is much different from the Brazillian verion.

so, people who know more than me... what changes can we expect?

I'm going to guess:

a) slight interior change to include the standard NA corporate radio

b) NA Ecotec engines (will they drop the 2.2L and make the 2.4L base, with 2.0L super or turbo-charged for a Red Line verson?)

so, people who know more than me... what changes can we expect?

I'm going to guess:

a) slight interior change to include the standard NA corporate radio

b) NA Ecotec engines (will they drop the 2.2L and make the 2.4L base, with 2.0L super or turbo-charged for a Red Line verson?)

207496[/snapback]

I doubt we'll see too much of a change since it will be built in the same factory as the rest of the Astras. Could we see the NA radio? I really hope not but I've come to accept that as a strong possibility. GM needs to have all of the vehicles looking the same inside and out for Opel and Saturn.

207412[/snapback]

I agree. I think the exterior is odd but the interior, besides the nuclear plant control center-like center stack, is fairly nice. It's too bland for me, I guess. Classy, yes, but also on the bland side.

I'm gonna hold my breath until it's full unveiled. I'm really hoping the front end is the same as the hatch, rather than the Brazilian sedan.

Clearly it will wear headlights that resemble the Aura, which in turn resemble the European Astra. In other words, no Brazilian front end, I don't know why there is any debate over this.

I think the Astra would be the best looking compact in the US market, sure it's not as dramatic as the Civic, but it's better resolved and with more attractive features, at least for now, will wait to see in flesh for final opinion.

The black center console is much more appealing to the eye than the silver faced one imo. If only the rest of the interior matched up with that face. Maybe if the black is paired up with the upper level trims with the tan interior and wood. Just noticed, even the steering wheel trim is matched with the center console, nice touch.

Edited by big blue

The black center console is much more appealing to the eye than the silver faced one imo. If only the rest of the interior matched up with that face. Maybe if the black is paired up with the upper level trims with the tan interior and wood. Just noticed, even the steering wheel trim is matched with the center console, nice touch.

208165[/snapback]

Autoblog's interior shots are the Brazilian Chevrolet Vectra. For powertrain reasons the Saturn version (if it comes to the US) will probably be sourced from Poland (interior shots at AutoReport). The delay in production (another 12 months) may even be to homologate European Astra sedans for the US market. The major visual change will be the center console, as the integrated audio controls are for the European RDS and telematics systems produced by Siemens.

Oh, and I'm also going to guess the NA standard 3-spoke steering wheel? :rolleyes:

GM, the current 3-spoke looks nice, but I don't like 3-spoke steering wheels! I like to have one hand at 6 o'clock when holding speed down a straight road, like the interstate.

*edit*

oh, and what's with that stupid little oval pass-through between the trunk & rear seats? Is that for structural reasons? I like a wide open... opening.

Edited by PurdueGuy

*sigh* I assumed so. But I was hoping we wouldn't get the standard parts bin center console unit again.

208459[/snapback]

here's to hoping GM starts spending money on the headunits and starts differentiating at LEAST then faceplates more. give us brand specific head units and just more variation in general.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this