Sign in to follow this  
mustang84

Jeep Compass pics from Family Car

God, this vehicle is awful...how did the guys at DCX ever approve this??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What the hell is up with the window latch...? And except for the silvery finish on the center stack, this interior could be straight out of the 80s.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

I also have to comment - roll down windows?

207582[/snapback]

The posters over at The Truth About Cars would say that manual locks and windows are a good thing...http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2375

I saw one on my way home Friday morning and caught a glimpse of it from a 3/4 view out of the corner of my eye and I thought it was an Aztek. Then I looked again and I was like, oh its a Compass, my mistake.

Those are the most unfriendly crank windows I've ever seen. Jesus. And at the price they're charging...unacceptable.

Gaah! That awful steering wheel material and texture! I had an '05 Plymouth Fury rental with that stuff. I'll admit that I might be a bit spoiled with a leather and wood steering wheel in the CTS, but that rental's texture was so unpleasant to touch. I drove with my hands on the spokes just to avoid the wheel.

The posters over at The Truth About Cars would say that manual locks and windows are a good thing...http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2375

207584[/snapback]

because why?... so everyone opts for the electric option that's $x00?

looks like if the jeeps rear seats fold down you couldn't roll down the rear windows w/o opening the door...like my boss's ~mid 90's cherokee.

all though... the rear looks like it would have adaquate room for adults in those seats...

Looks like there is some room in the back, which is surprising. The rest of the car is surprising, too, and not in a good way. I saw one at work the other day and almost lost control of my car.

I can't wait until the Chinese do a rip-off design of the Compass.

I cold live with it if the steering wheel and arm rests weren't hard plastic. Of course, I couldn't live withe that exterior. Does the Caliber's interior come in black?

Interesting placement of the stick shifter.

And Mustang84, there are some interior bits that wouldn't have been done in the 80s:

- Odometer would be analog spinny device

- HVAC would be a set of sliding controls instead of knobs.

- There would be no cupholders

As a side note, why did it take car manufacturers 80 years to realize that drivers might want to have a place to put their drink?

Well, that is just unfortunate. It's ugly from every angle, every color, and in every photo (professional & real life).

The interior is a joke. You really think that Mercedes-Benz would've given it's American brands some pointers.

Not only is this ugly, but it's useless. Why would anyone buy a Jeep that is basically a rebadge of the more attractive, and cheaper Dodge Caliber and can't go off-roading in it and then have another Jeep based off the same platform, that is a little bit bigger, is more attractive, priced similarly, and can actually go off road? We thought Ford and GM had problems. DCX is screwed if it keeps making decisions like this.

Interesting placement of the stick shifter.

And Mustang84, there are some interior bits that wouldn't have been done in the 80s:

- Odometer would be analog spinny device

- HVAC would be a set of sliding controls instead of knobs.

- There would be no cupholders

As a side note, why did it take car manufacturers 80 years to realize that drivers might want to have a place to put their drink?

207811[/snapback]

I was meaning more about the shape of the dash. When I saw it, the fox-body Mustang first came to mind.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's not too similar, but they both have the little square housing above the speedo, the "shelf" on the passenger side, and 80s Mustangs actually did have HVAC rotating knobs. Either way, the Compass has a god awful ugly looking dashboard.

Those are the most unfriendly crank windows I've ever seen. Jesus. And at the price they're charging...unacceptable.

207660[/snapback]

This is the base model "4x4" version, which MSRP's for $17,175. I don't think there are any other AWD or lockable AWD/"4x4" vehicles that can be had for $17K or under.

Argue all you want about how ugly you think it is, but I know people that think it looks good, and are willing to purchase one to be different. Jeep will be catering to people that like the features but think this vehicle is ugly, with the Patriot.

i drove a compass at the full throttle event recently.

wow the interiors are dismal in these things and they ain't the greatest drives either.

the interiors remind me a bit of my wife's old OMNI. blocky, horrific plastic, just BAD.

please do not compare my Aztek to this dung. My Aztek is FAR NICER, exterior styling aside.

i drove a compass at the full throttle event recently.

wow the interiors are dismal in these things and they ain't the greatest drives either.

the interiors remind me a bit of my wife's old OMNI.  blocky, horrific plastic, just BAD.

please do not compare my Aztek to this dung.  My Aztek is FAR NICER, exterior styling aside.

208054[/snapback]

But that exterior...even the COmpass ain't that bad :P

This is the base model "4x4" version, which MSRP's for $17,175.  I don't think there are any other AWD or lockable AWD/"4x4" vehicles that can be had for $17K or under.

208049[/snapback]

But this thing is clearly designed for the urban/city market, so why the huge emphasis on this pseudo-Jeep 4x4 deal? And the crank windows are still unacceptable for $17k+

And the crank windows are still unacceptable for $17k+

208195[/snapback]

That's really what gets me! I didn't know vehicles with crank windows were still being made that weren't completely stripped-down base-model subcompacts!

But this thing is clearly designed for the urban/city market, so why the huge emphasis on this pseudo-Jeep 4x4 deal? And the crank windows are still unacceptable for $17k+

208195[/snapback]

OK....I'll agree when you show me another 4x4 of a similar size that can be purchased for $17K with power locks and windows.

If you don't want the 4x4, then the price drops to $15K for the 4x2. How many other 4x2 CUV's can you buy for $15K?

OK....I'll agree when you show me another 4x4 of a similar size that can be purchased for $17K with power locks and windows.

If you don't want the 4x4, then the price drops to $15K for the 4x2.  How many other 4x2  CUV's can you buy for $15K?

208219[/snapback]

Chevy HHR LS for $15,880* Dual-power Mirrors

* Cruise control

* Remote Keyless Entry

* Power locks

* Power Windows (Driver Express-Down)

* Six-speaker stereo

* A/C with cabin filtration

Compass Sport 'D' 4x2 for $15,985* Manual Mirrors

* No cruise control

* No keyeless entry

* Manual locks

* Manual windows

* Four-speaker stereo

* No A/C

The Sport 'E' package gives you most of those options for $18,595, very close to the high-trim HHR 2LT. The Kia Sportage and Hyundai whatever also start close to or at $15.5-16k.

As far as the 4WD argument, again, the Compass is not an offroad vehicle, so who cares about 4x4 for this price?

Chevy HHR LS for $15,880* Dual-power Mirrors

* Cruise control

* Remote Keyless Entry

* Power locks

* Power Windows (Driver Express-Down)

* Six-speaker stereo

* A/C with cabin filtration

Compass Sport 'D' 4x2 for $15,985* Manual Mirrors

* No cruise control

* No keyeless entry

* Manual locks

* Manual windows

* Four-speaker stereo

* No A/C

The Sport 'E' package gives you most of those options for $18,595, very close to the high-trim HHR 2LT. The Kia Sportage and Hyundai whatever also start close to or at $15.5-16k.

As far as the 4WD argument, again, the Compass is not an offroad vehicle, so who cares about 4x4 for this price?

208227[/snapback]

Add the power group to the Compass, and you get power everything and A/C, and you are up to $17,830 on the Jeep website.

Add ABS (standard on the Compass, as is ESP), and side curtain airbags (again, standard on the Compass), and you are up to $17,265 for an HHR.....which is not available in a 4x4 configuration.

Not so different now....and you even compared a wagon to a crossover or cute ute.

Suzuki SX4 is AWD and can be locked in 4X4, it is also cheaper and better looking than the putrid Compass. Plus it comes with power windows.