Lucerne CXL V6 vs. AURA XR

If you were in the market, which one would you choose?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If you were in the market, which one would you choose?

• 2007 Buick Lucerne CXL V6
    • 2007 Saturn AURA XR
    • Other (include in a reply)

After riding the TEST TRACK ride at EPCOT a little over a week ago, the wife and I cruised around the showroom looking at what GM had on display. She liked the Ming Blue Buick Lucerne CXL V6 a lot and hated the maroon Chevy HHR 2LT. I really liked the Saturn AURA XR - but she likes the Lucerne more.

So I ask for your opinion on this matter. Which do you think is the better buy/car??? Feel free to post your thoughts in a reply after voting.

And TIA!!!

The Aura is a better buy as far as iit being more modern and better driving dynamics, plus that 3.6 makes almost as much hp as the Lucerne's V8 doesn't it? There's also that 6-seed VS 4-speed in the Lucerne. Interior is a matter of preference, but I like the Aura's better (in metallic).

I'd stear towards the Lucerne because its a larger car and I, for one, appreciate the roominess (I'm a bigger guy, and the Aura was a bit laterally cramped for me) and smooth ride, though the Aura by itself makes a very compelling argument. It comes down to whether or not your prefer a sportier ride or more boulevardier handling.

Also, keep in mind you can find leftover new '06 CXS Buicks for around $28-30k. This makes the Buick an enormously better buy if you're looking at rote figures (equipment, spaciousness, power).

But feel good knowing that, no matter who wins, no one loses here. Both fine cars. ;)

very tough choice. I think the Aura wins out with me with the tinyest of margins. I like the size of the Lucerne more but I prefer the powertrain of the Aura. What *really* causes me confusion is the interiors. While I like most of the look of the Aura's interior, I prefer the center stack and the material quality of the Lucurne.

I would take the Aura simply because it'd be sportier and more fun to drive. Oh, and the 3.6L and 6-speed combo wins hands down against the 3.8 and 4-speed. It's also less expensive.

I remember doing that test track a couple years ago, it was pretty cool! Did you notice on the out side portion of the track if they still had vehicles sitting down on the ground? They had quite a few sitting outside below the track when I was there, making me think that they use them to alternate what vehicles were in the showroom?

Thanks for the replies so far - keep them coming.

I remember doing that test track a couple years ago, it was pretty cool! Did you notice on the out side portion of the track if they still had vehicles sitting down on the ground? They had quite a few sitting outside below the track when I was there, making me think that they use them to alternate what vehicles were in the showroom?

210405[/snapback]

I did the ride three times, and I make sure on the first ride to look down as the car enters the circular portion to see what vehicles are on "display" in the middle. One vehicle from each divison was represented, including Saab and Hummer. Inside after the ride, there are three stages - each stage rotates three times, so there are nine vehicles on the stages - and at least another 10-12 on the floor to sit in. The only really new model there was the AURA, and that was on one of the rotating stages. There was also a mix of 2006 AND 2007 models on the floor - more 2007's though. The lady said that it takes a while to switch out for the new model year.

The predecessor to Test Track was World of Motion, which was a moving tramway of automotive history. Very tepid in comparison, but more memorable and cutesy. I loved getting off the tramway and stepping foot into the showcase of 'tomorrow,' which at the time (early-90s) included the GM Impact, Lean Machine, some ski thing, and the '88 Buick Lucerne concept. I still have the World of Motion souvenier pamphlets showing the 'new' Cadillac Sixty-Special. I'll scan 'em one day.

I went Lucerne...it's probably too big for me, but then the Aura seems too small for my taste. I would probably appreciate the Buick comfort and the faultless reliability of the 3800 V6.

Edited by trinacriabob

Man, tough call. If the Lucerne had the 3.6 6 speed it would be ahead in my mind by miles. But I don't know if I could make the choice here between the two. Either way you will have a very nice car. Test drive back to back and try a 24 hour test drive and see which one fits your needs better.

Thats because your wife has good taste !............... :AH-HA_wink:

But aside from that I have this reaction - G body or Epilson ?

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME ? " Ill take a peach over an apple any day. Think of one as a quality car and the other as a lame attempt to be a Japaneser. The difference between these two chassis's is day and night. One was designed to continue GM's upperend quality luxury cars. The other was designed to give GM an inexpensive Civic/Corolla competitor and improve on the N body. They can dress it up in any cloths they want its still what it is, the chassis designed for Malibu.

So by that standard of quality you are basically asking this question

Park Avenue or Malibu

Get the Lucerne and sit back, relax and enjoy life.

Thats because your wife has good taste !............... :AH-HA_wink:

But aside from that I have this reaction - G body or Epilson ?

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME ? " Ill take a peach over an apple any day. Think of one as a quality car and the other as a lame attempt to be a Japaneser. The difference between these two chassis's is day and night. One was designed to continue GM's upperend quality luxury cars. The other was designed to give GM an inexpensive Civic/Corolla competitor and improve on the N body. They can dress it up in any cloths they want its still what it is, the chassis designed for Malibu.

So by that standard of quality you are basically asking this question

Park Avenue or Malibu

Get the Lucerne and sit back, relax and enjoy life.

210567[/snapback]

You mean Accord/Camry competitor? Also, it was the 9-3 that first got the platform, and it's hardly mediocre. The Aura is easily a better performing car in every possible way. The Lucerne is nice too though...but as for as value per dollar the Aura kicks it's ass.

You mean Accord/Camry competitor? Also, it was  the 9-3 that first got the platform, and it's hardly mediocre. The Aura is easily a better performing car in every possible way. The Lucerne is nice too though...but as for as value per dollar the Aura kicks it's ass.

210595[/snapback]

Anyone that thinks that way had better put some windshield time in on both cars and then explain to me what value per dollar means. I just sort of went from a H body to an Epilson and all I can say is Im glad I still have my collection of H/C bodies. Then G was an improvement over H/C and eventually replaced it. The "aura" will not outperform my LSS in any department except possibly 0-60 and if thats all the driving experience is about.........I need to turn my licence in.............. :lol:

You mean Accord/Camry competitor?

No I mean Civic/Corolla competitor, the it was streached to "reach" a bit further which may or may not be Accord/Camry, thats open to opinion which I dont have. Then by that means, the Lucerne is the Lexus/Acura competitior, just not the same league, sorry. Its not all bad, the Epilson, but it is a step or two down from C/H body and thats a '85/86 platform, improved in '91/92, discontinued at 00. G has got to be even better.

No I mean Civic/Corolla competitor, the it was streached to "reach" a bit further which may or may not be Accord/Camry, thats open to opinion which I dont have. Then by that means, the Lucerne is the Lexus/Acura competitior, just not the same league, sorry. Its not all bad, the Epilson, but it is a step or two down from C/H body and thats a '85/86 platform, improved in '91/92, discontinued at 00. G has got to be even better.

210607[/snapback]

I see, well I think the Aura is certainly one of the better Epsilons out there, the reviews thus far have been quite good about it, especially in XR trim. EIther car is a nice choice though.

Hey for the hell of it, have you considered an LX car? ^_^

I see, well I think the Aura is certainly one of the better Epsilons out there,

Hey for the hell of it, have you considered an LX car? ^_^

210611[/snapback]

and you say that because...........it has that "other" name on it ? Its the same chassis no matter how you paint it. I bet you could send that and a G6 GTP sedan to the mags and they would act like theres a difference and one would get raves and the other dis. But the pieces are the same. To me G6 looks better, G6C many times better. The only remaining differences would be interior design. We honestly were not impressed two weeks ago when we looked at them. I even had to drag my wife over and she just shrugged her shoulders and said "so?". She did like the sky better than Solstice however and I determined that in my eyes the Solstice has no competition from the sky with people that have any taste. One looks better in person and the other looks worse.

Whats an LX ? The new Chryslers or the old Chryslers ?

and you say that because...........it has that "other" name on it ? Its the same chassis no matter how you paint it.

210618[/snapback]

Same chassis, different suspension, steering, etc, etc... sure, there will be many simmilarities, but there can be notable differences on the same platform. How 'bout a ford panther platform (crown vic, etc) that's been around for, what, 25+ years now or something? Think if you ride in one from the first few years that it'll feel exactly like a current one? Or even one from ten years ago? Sure, there will be some similarity, but don't act like a platform means inability to differentiate, develop, and improve.

Once difference I KNOW between the Aura and the Malibu (not sure about the G6) is hydraulic steering assist on the Aura vs electric assist on the Malibu. I'm almost certain there are notable suspension changes. Many reviews of the Aura have noted how much of an improvement the handling is in the Aura over the Malibu and even G6. They did more than just slap some different sheetmetal on the outside, and plastic on the inside. Plus, for now there is the 3.6 + 6speed differentiation.

Aura does not equal Malibu or G6, dispite the platform shared. I would expect some parts sharing, but not the extent you are making it out to be.

That said, I would still agree that buying a Lucerne is still buying into a platform & vehicle designed more for luxury. The Aura is the most "spruced up" version of its platform, which is designed more for the common midsized car. The Lucerne is the most "stripped down" of a luxury car platform. Which is better? Depends on what you want.

The Lucerne is the most "stripped down" of a luxury car platform.

210719[/snapback]

Ehhh...if anything, the current iteration of the G-body is more advanced than ever, incorportating many suspension enhancements as well as magnetic ride control (CXS) over the last revamping in 2000. G- is below the Cadillac-exclusive K-, but (aside from magnetic ride control) only in wheelbase.

The GTP has been hydraulic steering. I believe GT is now too. Only a nimrod at GM would dream up some stupid electronic steering when Hydro has been just fine for decades.

Id like to hear what "suspension changes" you think they did. Different control arms ?, different sway bars ?, different springs ? , different struts ? special nemotite bushings ?....... I'll tell you how things work. There is a spring chart, it offers springs of about 3 different rates, they all have a designated code number, these codes and numbers are the same throughout the corporation. GTP has the same springs as the GT, same suspension in fact, a disappointment but you really wouldnt want one any stiffer so its OK. The base G6 has a softer rate. I bet this XR uses the same springs as the GT/GTP, same struts, same bars. This is how GM has done things for decades. The Pontiac guys always thought their Bonnevilles had special parts, better than what was used on the LeSabres and Delta 88's..........well guess who had the parts book ? and guess what the parts book proved ? When I go to Pontiac next time for service, Ill have the guys check the suspension codes for me.

GTP now also comes with the 3.6 and six speed

And where did you come up with this "The Lucerne is the most "stripped down" of a luxury car platform." ...???

And where did you come up with this "The Lucerne is the most "stripped down" of a luxury car platform." ...???

210978[/snapback]

May not have been the best way to phrase it, but I was under the impression that it was pretty much a DeVille, but with fewer features and such. Perhaps I've put my foot in my mouth on this, IDK.

I would be interested to hear what you find out about the parts - it wouldn't suprise me if the differences aren't terribly big, and it wouldn't surpise me if it's simply a case of the Aura getting some new developments for the platform first (as evidenced by the hydro steering trickling down into the other cars - I imagine the GTP got the hydro from the start, as the Malibu SS probably did, but you mention it going to the GT). Reviews I've read (admittedly not the best source) have indicated that the Aura suspension was "tuned" differently (whatever that means). Again, I might have a case of foot-in-mouth, but I can admit to that if I'm proven wrong. I'm more intereted in the info than the arguement.

Guess I just took offense (though I'm not sure why, maybe just some Saturn prejudice) to what seemed like an opinion that the Aura & others of that platform are some sort of lowly junk, when I've seen nothing to indicate that's the case. Looking back, you compared the GTP and Aura, and that's probably a fair comparison on mechanicals & suspension, so I jumped to a conclusion.

So, I guess that means we're down to impressions about the platform/car. You were unimpressed, I was impressed. Agree to disagree?

Having driven and experienced both, I find the Lucurene to be 10x the vehicle. The older I get the more I understand why my Grandfather bought Buicks.

If you want;

Better seats

Better ride

Better stereo

Better power

Better car

Better be a Buick

purdue - I believe the base G6 and the base "aura" are the same, then the GT/GTP suspension same as this XR. Then with the aura XR having the 3.6 6/auto like the 07 GTP, from what I understand if you want the 6 standard in 07 you get the 3.9 like our 06. If they are getting away from the "electronic steering" its because of the problems and complaints with it, not because "saturin" led the way GTP got it first, Im sure because of the complaints about the limp steering on original G6/Malibu. We really need these engineers and thier marketing/accountants to realize you dont mess with what is tried and proven, you can not replace mechanical function with electronic function and come up with something that has "feel". Electronics cant feel.

I did not say the epilson was junk, I said its no comparision in quality to the G platform. It would be a nice little car if the product guru would step away from the camera long enough to drive one for about 6 hrs straight and realize the few tiny eras that created a large unnecessary problem.

None the less B body and Epilson are not even in the same league and with opted out Epilson cost approaching mid level G Lucerne there is simply nothing to think about in my opinion. Like I said and a few others indicated you have to drive this kind of car to believe. Then you will feel like you stepped down, like I did with the GTP.

I posted a reply last Thursday, but it got lost with the hacker. Anyway...

I was able to test drive both cars last week - Wednesday I drove the Saturn AURA XR and Friday I drove the Buick Lucerne CXL (V6). I liked both vehicles a lot, but clearly there's only going to be one winner here. Both were brief test drives, with the salesman in the car (:angry:) , so no long winded behind-the-wheel reviews here :hissyfit: Here are my impressions:

Saturn AURA XR

The 3.6 liter V6 is quick & peppy, smooth and very quiet. The trans shifted nicely and the car took off when you put the pedal down. You weren't punished over bumps and broken asphalt with the ride, yet it wasn't too soft. I found a very comfortable seating arrangement and quickly, and found the floor area for my left foor to be very comfortable (remember, I injured my left foot in 2005 and have a hard time getting comfortable in the Malibu). Trunk space is smaller than the Malibu, but the opening apprears bigger than the G6 (which we couldn't get our larger stroller into - we tried with my parent's '06 G6 sedan). Interior room, comfort and amenties were plentiful. Color was Cream White with the Morocco Brown leather (not my ideal choices for either selections). Overall this is a car I feel I could live with day-in and day-out; however, I think for the kind of driving the wife and I do, the XR is a little too much and an XE model might fit the bill better (btw, the chrome wheels for the XE are just the plastisteel wheels chromed - not worth the extra $200 IMO).

Buick Lucerne CXL V6

Drove a Sharkskin with Titanium (gray) leather CXL V6 model. I quickly noticed how the A-pillars tilt into the cabin (reminded me of the '99-'05 Grand Am & '99-'04 Alero greenhouse design - just not as severe). I found the driver's seat to not be as comfortbale as I thought it would be, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. The car is big, but doesn't necessarily feel big. Either I didn't adjust the seat close enough, but I felt the dash seemed far away (though the reach to the pedals and steering wheel were fine). The floor area was comfortable for my left foot and I had plenty of space to get comfortable in the seat (maybe a little too comfy?). The 3800 V6 is still a great engine and moved the Lucerne without hesitation. The trans shifted good and provided a comfortable ride. The heated steering wheel worked quickly and is a feature I wish GM would install on more of it's product lines. Ride and handling were better than I expected, with hardly feeling any feedback from bumps and imperfect road conditions. Turning diameter wasn't as good as I thought it would be - the AURA & my Envoy offer a better turning radius. Overall I liked the car, but not as much as I thought I would. The features I can't get on the AURA are what attract me to this car - heated steering wheel, memory settings for 2 drivers, rear parking assist, chrome wheels (real wheels, not plastic covers).

I didn't get lease prices, as I didn't have the Malibu with me for a trade-in apprasial and the wife wasn't with me for her input. However, I think I'd start off getting the Lucerne pricing and end up at the Saturn dealership - just in case the AURA deal was too good to pass up. I'll post more when I have something to add.