GMTruckGuy74

Lucerne CXL V6 vs. AURA XR

If you were in the market, which one would you choose?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If you were in the market, which one would you choose?

• 2007 Buick Lucerne CXL V6
    • 2007 Saturn AURA XR
    • Other (include in a reply)

37 posts in this topic

After riding the TEST TRACK ride at EPCOT a little over a week ago, the wife and I cruised around the showroom looking at what GM had on display. She liked the Ming Blue Buick Lucerne CXL V6 a lot and hated the maroon Chevy HHR 2LT. I really liked the Saturn AURA XR - but she likes the Lucerne more.

So I ask for your opinion on this matter. Which do you think is the better buy/car??? Feel free to post your thoughts in a reply after voting.

And TIA!!!

The Aura is a better buy as far as iit being more modern and better driving dynamics, plus that 3.6 makes almost as much hp as the Lucerne's V8 doesn't it? There's also that 6-seed VS 4-speed in the Lucerne. Interior is a matter of preference, but I like the Aura's better (in metallic).

I'd stear towards the Lucerne because its a larger car and I, for one, appreciate the roominess (I'm a bigger guy, and the Aura was a bit laterally cramped for me) and smooth ride, though the Aura by itself makes a very compelling argument. It comes down to whether or not your prefer a sportier ride or more boulevardier handling.

Also, keep in mind you can find leftover new '06 CXS Buicks for around $28-30k. This makes the Buick an enormously better buy if you're looking at rote figures (equipment, spaciousness, power).

But feel good knowing that, no matter who wins, no one loses here. Both fine cars. ;)

very tough choice. I think the Aura wins out with me with the tinyest of margins. I like the size of the Lucerne more but I prefer the powertrain of the Aura. What *really* causes me confusion is the interiors. While I like most of the look of the Aura's interior, I prefer the center stack and the material quality of the Lucurne.

I would take the Aura simply because it'd be sportier and more fun to drive. Oh, and the 3.6L and 6-speed combo wins hands down against the 3.8 and 4-speed. It's also less expensive.

I remember doing that test track a couple years ago, it was pretty cool! Did you notice on the out side portion of the track if they still had vehicles sitting down on the ground? They had quite a few sitting outside below the track when I was there, making me think that they use them to alternate what vehicles were in the showroom?

Thanks for the replies so far - keep them coming.

I remember doing that test track a couple years ago, it was pretty cool! Did you notice on the out side portion of the track if they still had vehicles sitting down on the ground? They had quite a few sitting outside below the track when I was there, making me think that they use them to alternate what vehicles were in the showroom?

210405[/snapback]

I did the ride three times, and I make sure on the first ride to look down as the car enters the circular portion to see what vehicles are on "display" in the middle. One vehicle from each divison was represented, including Saab and Hummer. Inside after the ride, there are three stages - each stage rotates three times, so there are nine vehicles on the stages - and at least another 10-12 on the floor to sit in. The only really new model there was the AURA, and that was on one of the rotating stages. There was also a mix of 2006 AND 2007 models on the floor - more 2007's though. The lady said that it takes a while to switch out for the new model year.

The predecessor to Test Track was World of Motion, which was a moving tramway of automotive history. Very tepid in comparison, but more memorable and cutesy. I loved getting off the tramway and stepping foot into the showcase of 'tomorrow,' which at the time (early-90s) included the GM Impact, Lean Machine, some ski thing, and the '88 Buick Lucerne concept. I still have the World of Motion souvenier pamphlets showing the 'new' Cadillac Sixty-Special. I'll scan 'em one day.

I went Lucerne...it's probably too big for me, but then the Aura seems too small for my taste. I would probably appreciate the Buick comfort and the faultless reliability of the 3800 V6.

Edited by trinacriabob

Aura is more stylish and distinctive inside and out, also more modern. The engine, ride and overall handling also are more than enough to push me in the direction of Aura.

Man, tough call. If the Lucerne had the 3.6 6 speed it would be ahead in my mind by miles. But I don't know if I could make the choice here between the two. Either way you will have a very nice car. Test drive back to back and try a 24 hour test drive and see which one fits your needs better.

Thats because your wife has good taste !............... :AH-HA_wink:

But aside from that I have this reaction - G body or Epilson ?

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME ? " Ill take a peach over an apple any day. Think of one as a quality car and the other as a lame attempt to be a Japaneser. The difference between these two chassis's is day and night. One was designed to continue GM's upperend quality luxury cars. The other was designed to give GM an inexpensive Civic/Corolla competitor and improve on the N body. They can dress it up in any cloths they want its still what it is, the chassis designed for Malibu.

So by that standard of quality you are basically asking this question

Park Avenue or Malibu

Get the Lucerne and sit back, relax and enjoy life.

I really like the Lucerne, but the Aura XR in gray with Morocco leather is such a tasty combination... and of course the 252 horse 3.6 and six speed combo are the latest thing.

Thats because your wife has good taste !............... :AH-HA_wink:

But aside from that I have this reaction - G body or Epilson ?

"YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME ? " Ill take a peach over an apple any day. Think of one as a quality car and the other as a lame attempt to be a Japaneser. The difference between these two chassis's is day and night. One was designed to continue GM's upperend quality luxury cars. The other was designed to give GM an inexpensive Civic/Corolla competitor and improve on the N body. They can dress it up in any cloths they want its still what it is, the chassis designed for Malibu.

So by that standard of quality you are basically asking this question

Park Avenue or Malibu

Get the Lucerne and sit back, relax and enjoy life.

210567[/snapback]

You mean Accord/Camry competitor? Also, it was the 9-3 that first got the platform, and it's hardly mediocre. The Aura is easily a better performing car in every possible way. The Lucerne is nice too though...but as for as value per dollar the Aura kicks it's ass.

You mean Accord/Camry competitor? Also, it was  the 9-3 that first got the platform, and it's hardly mediocre. The Aura is easily a better performing car in every possible way. The Lucerne is nice too though...but as for as value per dollar the Aura kicks it's ass.

210595[/snapback]

Anyone that thinks that way had better put some windshield time in on both cars and then explain to me what value per dollar means. I just sort of went from a H body to an Epilson and all I can say is Im glad I still have my collection of H/C bodies. Then G was an improvement over H/C and eventually replaced it. The "aura" will not outperform my LSS in any department except possibly 0-60 and if thats all the driving experience is about.........I need to turn my licence in.............. :lol:

You mean Accord/Camry competitor?

No I mean Civic/Corolla competitor, the it was streached to "reach" a bit further which may or may not be Accord/Camry, thats open to opinion which I dont have. Then by that means, the Lucerne is the Lexus/Acura competitior, just not the same league, sorry. Its not all bad, the Epilson, but it is a step or two down from C/H body and thats a '85/86 platform, improved in '91/92, discontinued at 00. G has got to be even better.

No I mean Civic/Corolla competitor, the it was streached to "reach" a bit further which may or may not be Accord/Camry, thats open to opinion which I dont have. Then by that means, the Lucerne is the Lexus/Acura competitior, just not the same league, sorry. Its not all bad, the Epilson, but it is a step or two down from C/H body and thats a '85/86 platform, improved in '91/92, discontinued at 00. G has got to be even better.

210607[/snapback]

I see, well I think the Aura is certainly one of the better Epsilons out there, the reviews thus far have been quite good about it, especially in XR trim. EIther car is a nice choice though.

Hey for the hell of it, have you considered an LX car? ^_^

I see, well I think the Aura is certainly one of the better Epsilons out there,

Hey for the hell of it, have you considered an LX car? ^_^

210611[/snapback]

and you say that because...........it has that "other" name on it ? Its the same chassis no matter how you paint it. I bet you could send that and a G6 GTP sedan to the mags and they would act like theres a difference and one would get raves and the other dis. But the pieces are the same. To me G6 looks better, G6C many times better. The only remaining differences would be interior design. We honestly were not impressed two weeks ago when we looked at them. I even had to drag my wife over and she just shrugged her shoulders and said "so?". She did like the sky better than Solstice however and I determined that in my eyes the Solstice has no competition from the sky with people that have any taste. One looks better in person and the other looks worse.

Whats an LX ? The new Chryslers or the old Chryslers ?

and you say that because...........it has that "other" name on it ? Its the same chassis no matter how you paint it.

210618[/snapback]

Same chassis, different suspension, steering, etc, etc... sure, there will be many simmilarities, but there can be notable differences on the same platform. How 'bout a ford panther platform (crown vic, etc) that's been around for, what, 25+ years now or something? Think if you ride in one from the first few years that it'll feel exactly like a current one? Or even one from ten years ago? Sure, there will be some similarity, but don't act like a platform means inability to differentiate, develop, and improve.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.