Car And Driver

52 posts in this topic

6. Sentra (new one)

5. Corolla

4. Elantra

3. Civic

2. Mazda3

1. VW Rabbit

They seemed to have issues with the new Sentra. Of course they didn't like the Corolla because its spongy. They praised the Elantra as being spacious and a good commuter but its a flopper. The Civic is an acquired taste. the Mazda is a good car but it didn't win because of red dash lights. The Rabbit is the best overall. All models tested had sticks. They claimed that no Focus or Cobalt with stick was available to test.

Edited by regfootball

The 3 didn't win because of the red lights? That's retarded! Morons!

211109[/snapback]

well, not just that. but the fact they mentioned it so much was annoying. the rabbit was quieter and more refined.

the rabbit weighed like 5-600 pounds more than the corolla.

It's not fair to the manufacturers to exclude cars from a comparison. Granted the Cobalt probably would have gotten in right between the Corolla and Elantra, knowing car mags...

Then again, why do I give them that much credit?

they would have had to have had a base 2.4 Cobalt SS or a base Cobalt. the SS with stick in sedan is a tough one to find. but it is lame for the mags to use that as an excuse.

the focus ST would have been the one to test but can get close to 20k which may have excluded it. the more plebian Foci should have been a dime a dozen to find.

A glaring omission to me was the Subaru Imprieza 2.5, it would have been mid pack i think.

Its a disturbing trend the buff books have, they don't even review or test or compare the less chosen brands anymore.

Edited by regfootball

Here is my issue.

Why doesn't GM study for the test. They know what the car magazines are usually looking for. Why not have a fleet of Cobalt SS sedans in both manual and automatic form available for testing? In the test fleet GM should include it's best* examples.

*best according to the people at the car rags

I know, Reg. As said, why is the Corolla even here? Even realizes it exists, no one buys it for a fun car, so why?

211215[/snapback]

i totally agree, why is the elentra in it either?

Leave it to these rags to test vehicles the way nobody buys them, and then omit one of biggest sellers in this class. Collectively, the Cobalt/G5 (or whatever the hell it is being called now) is one of the better sellers in this bunch.

Is this incompetence, stupidity or a deliberate slam at American cars?

I know, Reg. As said, why is the Corolla even here?

211215[/snapback]

I think the basic premise of the article answers your question. A Cobalt and Focus, manual or not, should have been included.

I think the basic premise of the article answers your question.  A Cobalt and Focus, manual or not, should have been included.

211230[/snapback]

.....then you guys would have bitched when the Cobalt and Focus with automatics didn't win because they lagged behind in acceleration and fuel economy compared to the other cars with their sticks....

etc, etc., etc

I think mags SHOULD compare similarly-equipped cars. It's a bit more "apples to apples."

.....then you guys would have bitched when the Cobalt and Focus with automatics didn't win because they lagged behind in acceleration and fuel economy compared to the other cars with their sticks....

etc, etc., etc

I think mags SHOULD compare similarly-equipped cars.  It's a bit more "apples to apples."

211269[/snapback]

I agree. How hard is it to find a manual Cobalt???

my guess is nissan flubbed the base sentra for the corolla crowd but the sport SE-R Altima will be whack. i.e. much improved for enthusiasts.

you get the feeling GM and Ford maybe aren't even bothering trying to appease the 'enthusiast' mags anymore, because they get beat up so much?

Edited by regfootball

I agree. How hard is it to find a manual Cobalt???

211270[/snapback]

Not very hard considering Car and Driver can get a used Porsche Boxter to compare it with Solstice GXP.

May be they were saving GM and Ford from from blushes of the last place results. Or they did not want the American cars to win, j/k.

Edited by 79VetteZ06

Not very hard considering Car and Driver can get a used Porsche Boxter to compare it with Solstice GXP.

May be they were saving GM and Ford from from blushes of the last place results. Or they did not want the American cars to win, j/k.

211322[/snapback]

well, Mazda is FORD so in some repsects Ford does benefit already

I do question the positioning of the new Sentra as well.

I'm surprised that it didn't outrank the new Elantra in some way, shape, or form.

And C&D called the Sentra's styling as tortured. I personally like it much better than the Corolla or new Elantra. But then, the Sentra is basically an ION in appearance with different details. I mean, check out that silhouette!

SCOOORRE VOLKSWAGEN! Yes people, the VW Rabbit is a wonderful little car. I was drooling over a new Black Magic GTI yesterday... no Rabbits on the lot, they're sold when they hit the ground.

For Car&Driver to exclude Cobalt and Focus is ridiculous.

True that!

And what's with the 4-door GTI? I thought VW wasn't going to bring it here. Must have had a change of heart.

I personally want a Tornado Red GTI with the optional 18" aluminum wheels.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this