Charger or Cutlass?

Given that my new job (which I enjoy) has doubled my commute time along roads that are, unfortunately, generously dumped with salt during the snowy months, I may purchase another car to keep my '87 MC LS from the salt/snow. During my October road trip, I spotted a white 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme at a dealership in Independence MO.

In the meantime, I loved driving the '06 Dodge Charger during that same road trip ... so much so that I'm toying with the idea of buying one, depending on what type of deal I can get....

I keep wavering back'n'forth, tho. The older car would be a "winter beater" only, of sorts, whereas a new Charger would also double as my personal road trip car (vs. renting). The older car would keep car payments (if any) to a minimum ... and insurance rates would be lower; the Charger, of course, would mean a new car payment ... and loftier insurance costs. Not sure if I really want to tempt fate with another older car. I've had EXCELLENT success with my '87 MC LS as my daily driver since I bought it in July 2003 (the '87 MC LS has been more reliable than my '00 mc LS, actually). Course, a new car could become a lemon, too.....

And, of course, I'd consider another '87 or '88 MC LS, '86 or '87 El Camino, late 70s Cutlass Supreme, late 80s Caprice Classic, late 70s Caprice Classic, '97ish Ford Thunderbird ... depending on condition (some rust/body damage is OK) and reliability....

Then again ... I could just stick with the '87 MC LS.....since I'd still like to get an '87 MC SS Aerocoupe and a '75 Caprice Classic convertible someday....

*sighs*

Decisions decisions decisions.....

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

"Sometimes love comes and goes away" ... George Straight ... 'Marina Del Ray'

Guest YellowJacket894

. . . including, at minimum, a 250 hp V6 and a 5-speed . . .

:confused0071:

. . . including, at minimum, a 250 hp V6 and a 5-speed automatic. . .

Fixed.

:camarosmile:

I don't like MOPAR....at all...and I "try" to be open minded.

However, with your new Mopar - old Cutlass choice, we have an apples and oranges situation. If you're not really ready to get a new car, get an older one in good condition. I, too, would like to find a 98 or 99 Intrigue in pristine condition as a second car but don't do much about it.

Knightfan, I have to tell you that I'm really impressed with my new purchase - a 2007 Saturn AURA XE. I wanted to get back into leasing (I like the fact of getting a new car every 30-36 months) and get out of my Malibu, and the deal I got was great and got me into a great new car. The best part is that it stickered for $22,295 and looks like it could be more expensive than that.

As for your decision, you already have an older car that you really like ('87 M/C LS), so why not invest in a newer & safer car as your daily driver & vacation car? I'm going to tell you, I've been buying (okay, leasing and buying) NEW GM cars since 1999 and I've got to tell you I haven't had one lemon yet. And if anything went wrong, it was covered by GM's warranty anyway. Ont he 2007 models, you get the 5 year/100K powertrain & roadside assistance warranty too. I'd say keep that M/C safe in the winter & rainy days and treat yourself to something new (GM GM GM GM GM GM GM GM GM :lol: )

I've had good luck with my dodge dakota. I bought it new and put 60k miles on it. If you look at new cars you really have your options open. I will probably only buy new for my daily drivers just because of all the issues I've had with moderately old cars.

Between the two: the Charger, no question about it.

But it is an apples and oranges scenario. It depends on what you want.

The Charger will offer more power, better fuel economy, better reliability, better driveability, and will be the most practical daily driver.

I'd spring for the Charger in an instant, because there could be some nice incentives to go along with it.

Being how your talkin about a winter beater to save your 87 Monty, I know the answer to this search. However I also know there is uncompromisable priorities at play so I wont specify. I can tell you this, with a well thought search and carefully picking the correct car, for the price of a few car payments you can own one of these outright and drive effortlessly with confidence all winter.

Hey Cort - check this thread for a pretty cool idea for a "new" car. Scour the CPO lots for some really good deals....a barely-broken-in STS for the price of a Charger sounds like the deal of a lifetime.

I say if you can afford the Charger do that...

although there's no shame in owing a daily driver G-body coupe.

P.S. I wish the Charger came with a 5-speed MANUAL.

Get the Charger, you know you wanna

*chuckles*

Yeah, I do ... but, I admit the thought of carpayments again ... aye.

*shudders*

Even so, some great points/ideas here, guys, so thanks.

GMTruck,

I want RWD ... no FWD for me. As for GM, well, after driving the Dodge Charger for my road trip, GM/Chevrolet (in particular) has lost me. Since they aren't building what I want, I'll be going elsewhere if I buy new.....

Tough choice, I know ... and I have to be the one to make it ... but, as I noted, some great points/ideas ... and I greatly appreciate them :).

Rock the Cutlass, dude; especially if it's a '77 four door. All the cool kids have 'em!

*chuckles*

Maybe I'd pick up a gal then, too ;). He he he

Why add a Dodge to your all Chevy collection?

Interesting question ... not sure. Something different, that's for sure....

early 80's Riviera or Toronado!!!!

why not a 06 monte carlo ltz?

Nope to these because I want RWD, not FWD.

Course, that hearse would be an interesting choice.... ;).

GTO: A new '06 or a used '04-'05, either way they are a steal right now.

I thought about the GTOs ... but I haven't been able to find one that I actually like ... most of 'em are manuals (sorry, I'd prefer automatic, especially with my commute in dangumit traffic) and the ones that are auto are black.... I already have one black car ... that's plenty tough to keep clean as it is ;).

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I should've drove all night" ... BonJovi ... 'Misunderstood'

I thought about the GTOs ... but I haven't been able to find one that I actually like ... most of 'em are manuals (sorry, I'd prefer automatic, especially with my commute in dangumit traffic) and the ones that are auto are black....  I already have one black car ... that's plenty tough to keep clean as it is ;).

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"I should've drove all night" ... BonJovi ... 'Misunderstood'

218130[/snapback]

They are out there Cort, you just have to look for them. Besides, if GM hadn't stuck their head into the FWD sand for so long a new MC might be very similar to the GTO.

Here ya go, Cort. I pulled up '04-06 automatic GTOs for ya:

eBay Motors

Only thing to be careful with is, like anything on eBay, you must read the very bottom of the page to see when they'd like a full payment by. Most of them want $500 right at the end of bidding if you're the winner. Then, most of them also want full payment within one week of winning the bid. So, if you don't think you can get a loan in a few days, or if you need more time, I'd suggest contacting the seller of the vehicle and telling them you need a day or two more for the loan to process.

Good luck, sir!

Get the Olds and put half the $$$ you would put into buying the NEW Charger into IT and build yourself ONE COOL CUSTOM RIDE!! Get a LS1-or-LS2 Automatic from a wrecked F body and upgade your suspension/breaks ect. Do a custom to your tast interior and body and ENJOY!! Buy a STANDARD EVERYBODY MOBILE or BUILD A ONE OF THE KIND UNIQUE TO YOU CUSTOM RIDE!! :D

In want that hearse... damn that thing is awsome.

How about a 1978 Ford LTD sedan? It's really cheap! You know you want it. :P

*chuckles*

Yeah know, I saw that thread last night ... and thought ... hmmm ... that might be an option. But, really, I don't think so.....

I'll do some searching for GTOs ... but not on eBay ... don't like buying something from there ... never have really warmed up to that concept too much ... he heh.

And, carguy ... great idea ... but then, with my luck, I'd have to get a winter beater to keep the Olds out of the winter ... he he he.

I'll do some searching for GTOs ... but not on eBay ... don't like buying something from there ... never have really warmed up to that concept too much ... he heh.

218595[/snapback]

Eh, in your case I wouldn't worry too much. Usually the GTOs I see are sold by dealers, and they almost always include their number in the auction since they're also for sale locally. All you'd have to do is find one that you're willing to go see, then call them up and set up an appointment to take a look at it.

Jee Knightfan. I should check in the morning when I take the truck to the dealer for its oil change. They had 3 GTOs and I think they were all automatics. And one was red. One was black with grey racing stripes(Drove that one once). Trying to remember what the 3rd one was but I cant at the moment. I wouldnt want a manual one either. Trust me, the automatic is not detremental to having fun with this car. They are brand new but they have been sitting a while. Maybe a good deal could be had if they want to remove them from their lot bad enough.

Hmmm....more details?  Please!?

218977[/snapback]

Times of Trenton newspaper, Wed 11/22/06 edition:

Olds Cutlass '74 - 37,400 mi, excel shape, gold, 4 dr, asking $3200 (609) 466-1059 (a quick Google search reveals this # is in Hopewell, NJ)

Also in Wednesday's edition:

Pontiac Catalina '74 - 4dr, 182,000 mi, Runs good, needs paint. $350/bo. (609) 392-1749 (a quick Google search reveals this # is in Trenton, NJ)

And, Olds ... Aura is FWD, no?

Let me tell you Knightfan, I'm very impressed with my AURA XE. FWD just lets me know I'll be able to navigate NJ's roads when it snows, or more importantly that the wife will be able to get home from work if she has the car when it starts snowing. And it wouldn't be like you don't have your RWD toys anymore - just that your daily driver is FWD. I'd say for the heck of it, go to a Saturn dealer and check one out/test drive it, or see if your car rental place has any available and rent it for a day or two. Looks alone I like it more than the Charger (but then again, the only Chrysler product I really like is the Jeep Wrangler).

Jee Knightfan. I should check in the morning when I take the truck to the dealer for its oil change. They had 3 GTOs and I think they were all automatics.

So, did you check? :)

And it wouldn't be like you don't have your RWD toys anymore - just that your daily driver is FWD.

Very true, but then, FWD is not me at all ... and I'd just end up hating the car. In which case, I should just pick up an '06 Lumina...2 or 4 door version.

*sighs*

As for those two 74s ... thanks so much for that info! Holy cow ... I'm surprised the prices aren't a bit higher.....