Preview: smart fortwo

Stuttgart, Dec 20, 2006 -- For the very first time on US soil: the new smart fortwo, celebrating its USA premiere at this year’s North American International Auto Show in Detroit (January 7 to 21, 2007). The new smart fortwo will be available in the USA beginning in the first quarter of 2008. The car shown in Detroit is an European version of the new smart fortwo. Model lines to be available in the United States will be announced at later date.

smart, like Mercedes-Benz and Maybach, is part of the Mercedes Car Group. The exhibition stand is directly opposite Chrysler and Dodge in Oakland Hall (inside Cobo Center). Written in large letters on the stand are the words "Coming to the USA in 2008". And right in front of it, a smart fortwo with red bodypanels and a silver tridion safety cell.

The new smart fortwo can do everything that the current model can do - but better. This means that the new smart fortwo is even more comfortable, even more agile, even safer and even more environmentally friendly than its predecessor. And from the first draft it is designed to meet USA customer needs and registration standards.

The right car at the right time

It is time for the smart fortwo to make an appearance in the USA; fuel prices are rising, and city traffic is increasing by the day. In short, the smart fortwo is the right car at the right time.

On the other side of the Atlantic, the two-seater quickly became a popular vehicle following its launch in October 1998. The same is sure to hold true in the USA.

More than 770,000 customers have chosen the first generation of the smart fortwo – often to replace a larger car with the lively two-seater. Because the smart fortwo is something special and stands out from the crowd, and because it is simply fun to drive.

Apart from this, the vehicle concept is also highly practical – especially for people who live in cities or urban areas. On most journeys a car carries just a single occupant, and because people make faster progress through the city in a smart fortwo. And because with a smart fortwo, people can make faster progress through city streets and they do not even need to search for a parking space – the smart fortwo can easily fit between in very limited space – they can find one right away.

As early as 2002, the smart fortwo was included in the permanent collection in New York’s Museum of Modern Art – the only vehicle there that is still produced today. The five other models to attain this honor were the Cisitalia, Jaguar E-Type, Willy’s Jeep, Ferrari Formula 1 and Volkswagen Beetle.

The right distribution partner

With Roger Penske and UnitedAuto Group, smart has the right distribution partner to bring the smart fortwo to the US market in 2008. smart USA is currently reviewing market data to determine dealership locations – no specific locations have been identified to date. Dealer organizations will be announced during the second half of 2007.

UnitedAuto Group, Inc., headquartered in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, operates 319 dealers with 41 different brands and 27 repair workshops. UAG specializes in the sale of new and pre-owned cars, financing, insurance and supplying spare parts and also offers a maintenance and repair service for all the brands it offers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

[source: DaimlerChrysler]

this is a carthat doesnt even have an excuse for being a hatchback... theres next to no cargo room to begin with in the rear... why even try? i hate hatchbacks

I love it! If I never took more than one friend with me, I would consider attaining one, but I'd prefer a (cancelled) new forfour over this for the room and additional passengers.

But look at the fortwo, it's so cute!

>>"....theres next to no cargo room to begin with in the rear"<<

if true, hm-mmm: Sky or '4-2'.

Seriously, most of the detracting comments on the Solstice / Sky were cargo-related; this lil' deathtrap should suffer from the same judgement....

Not that the regular model is any beauty, but the convertible is a rolling joke. And so much for the 'safety band-aid' feature....

Anyone who would buy one of these should just take the bus instead.

231129[/snapback]

That's a good point. I'd only even think about buying one of these if I was a courier or something in a major city. You would not find me driving in the suburbs or on highways in one.

The nice thing about SMARTs is that if one is in a parking space you want, just pick it up and move it.

P.S. Dear DCX,

Use something called capitalization. lowercase letters aren't cute; its just lame.

231096[/snapback]

Or they could capitalize it and and add their name to every model. Ya know...like MAZDA MAZDA6

:P

That's a good point.  I'd only even think about buying one of these if I was a courier or something in a major city.  You would not find me driving in the suburbs or on highways in one.

231133[/snapback]

Pizza delivery

Retirement community

Resort runabout

Hotel rental

That's about it. Anyone American city that dense has a good public transportation system anyway.

Look on the bright side. If you get stuck on the ide of the road with one, no need to call AAA. Just call your neighbor with a Silverado long-bed.

Anyone who would buy one of these should just take the bus instead.

231129[/snapback]

Look at it this way: worse case scenario you are driving your new SMART car and you get frightened by traffic and piss your pants vs. you take the bus and sit in someone else's urine. Its your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

All the yuppies at my university are already talking this thing up like it's the savior for all things american.

Oh, and I'm sure the limited cargo room will be PERFECTLY acceptable to the media. They can always say "Well, if you want cargo room you can always buy an SUV" or something stupid and contradictory to that effect. (LOL)

Two comments:

1. They fail to actually give fuel economy numbers for this thing, which is something I've wanted to know for a long time. Size and fuel efficiency are this car's only true saving graces, and if its fuel numbers aren't substantial, then it only has size in its favor. In which case, it has to compete with the MINI.

2. Cars of this size are ideal for city commute. Anyone who doesn't understand the appeal of this over public transportation has never had to stand on a bus or subway car with 60+ other people.

This f***ing thing is street legal but tail fins can not return?

Give me a break, I'll just strap on my rollerblades like a big kid.

I travel all the time to Germany and see these Death Crates on wheels. As a 6'6" american, I have tried and am not able to fit in one. To me you have to be stupid and crazy to buy and drive one. I just pick you out of my grill of my suburban. :P

Edited by dfelt