Simple Question: Yes or No?

NOS2006

54 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Cobalt SS Supercharged a sports car?

• Yes
    • No

I voted yes. Technically, it has more than two seats and is less of a "purpose-built" car than a Porsche or Corvette, so by that definition it isn't a sports car. But because the definition of "sports car" is loose enough nowadays where people call 190hp V6 Mustangs sports cars, I think the Cobalt SS/SC deserves to be called one.

I just wanted to see what people say.

My dad got completely pissed off at me over this. I was like.. are you kidding? I could care less if it's a sports car or not, but he's sitting there telling me that a Camaro, Corvette, Viper, Mustang, etc. are sports cars. However, I just took my own side and said that I feel that my car is connotatively a sports car, which completely pissed him off.

I just wanted to see what people say.

My dad got completely pissed off at me over this. I was like.. are you kidding? I could care less if it's a sports car or not, but he's sitting there telling me that a Camaro, Corvette, Viper, Mustang, etc. are sports cars. However, I just took my own side and said that I feel that my car is connotatively a sports car, which completely pissed him off.

No. But I have a very narrow view of what Sports Car means. Your dad's list would be cut in half with my definition. Cobalt SS Supercharged is very definitely a performance car but not a sports car in my opinion.

I guess being that I'm young, I connotatively define sports car as a wider range of vehicles than you guys.

I don't know, but it's not that I really care if my car is a sports car or not, I just think it's funny to watch him bitch at me about it. At least it proves that he still understands cars. :P But, really, thanks for participating in the poll to prove me too young to quick learning. haha

Edited by NOS2006

Not your fault NOS, people apply descriptions to cars that don't really fit all the time. Also, the range of types of car changes too. I tend to be more narrow in how I define each type.

For instance: Camaro and Mustang are not, and have never been, musclecars by my criteria. They are Pony Cars. Along with cars like the AMX.

The MB CLS is not a coupe.

The VW Phaeton wasn't.

These are Sports Cars: Vette, Viper, Sky,Solstice,Miata, MG,Austin-Healey,Ford GT, Lotus Elise...

These are Musclecars: Chevelle SS, 442,GTO, Buick GS,GN,GSX,GNX, Charger(original),Roadrunner, Ford Thunderbolt...

I agree that the Camaro and Mustang are Pony Cars, but I believe that Pony Cars are a split between a Muscle Car and a sports car. I consider V6 Camaros/Mustangs sports cars while the higher end models are Pony Cars (Z/28, SS, GT, GT500, Cobra, ...). However, I disagree on saying the Sky and Solstice are sportscars: they are roadsters in my mind. Sportscars are supposed to be relatively quick, and the stock Sky and Solstice aren't.

I agree that the Camaro and Mustang are Pony Cars, but I believe that Pony Cars are a split between a Muscle Car and a sports car. I consider V6 Camaros/Mustangs sports cars while the higher end models are Pony Cars (Z/28, SS, GT, GT500, Cobra, ...). However, I disagree on saying the Sky and Solstice are sportscars: they are roadsters in my mind. Sportscars are supposed to be relatively quick, and the stock Sky and Solstice aren't.

I agree that Camaro and Mustang fall between Sports Car and Musclecar: to me that defines Pony Car.

The Original 'Cudas and Challengers stradle the line between Pony Car and Musclecar. I lean toward calling them Musclecars, but I can see the other side of that argument.

Have to disagree on the Sky and Solstice though, while a Roadster can have 4 seats a Sportscar can't.

Notice too that Sports Car and Sportscar can be used interchangeably, so I think there are no completely right answers to be had.

look at the cobalt's performance numbers

and look at the cars it beats

damn right its a sports car

That's exactly the way I see it! It's arguably a better performance vehicle than a 300 HP Mustang GT while costing about $6000 less and having 95 less HP, 120 less lb/ft, and half the cylinders (well, not counting the supercharger).

And, Camino, I thought a roadster was defined as a two seat car with a removable top? A four (or more) seat car with a removable top is a convertible.

I like a of a lot of different cars, but on the subject of the Cobalt SS... I don't think it is. There's a difference between a car that was designed to perform, and one that is designed to be otherwise, but given a performance trim. Even if the latter can do what the former can, it won't be a sports car. Sporty coupe or sedan? Sure...

I voted no for about the same reasons as everyone else. Its sporty yes, and it does well as a performance compact, but its not a true sports car, or a pony car for that matter. I've always seen muscle cars as the big cars, the Chevelles, the Impalas, the Chargers, etc; meanwhile, the pony cars were the Camaros and Mustangs, AMXs, and even to an extent the 'cuda in my mind was one. A true sportscar to me is a strictly two door vehicle (which I guess lumps in the Solstice and Sky), that can only seat two people and is purpose built for performance.

No, no, no, NO! For several reasons.

1. Sports cars, traditinally do NOT have a back seat.

2. Sports cars are NOt just 2 door versions of high-perf. 4dr sedans...

3. Sports cars are either RWD or AWD with the majority of the power going to the REAR wheels

4. Any self respecting "sports car" manufacturer would follow Rule #3.

The Cobalt is not a "Sports Car" Supercharged or not.

While it does come in a sporty bodystyle and has a great

5-speed avail;able it is FWD and that it the deciding factor.

The Chevrolet Corvette (ALL), Porsche 550 Spyder, Shelby Cobra Roadster 427, Mazda RX7,

Toyota MR2, Mercedes SL300, (1955) Dodge Viper, Mazda Miata, Datsun 240Z, BMW Z3/4,

Pontiac Fiero (as long as it's a 5-speed)...

those are SPORTS CARS.

Then there are the GT/2+2 sporty coupes and other "sports-car-like" cars that are close

but still do net get a cigar in my book. Case in point: BMW M3, Pontiac GTO, Toyota Celica,

Beretta GTU/Z, Thunderbird SuperCoupe (2.3 turbo), Corvair Monza Turbo, Merkur XR4Ti

Mini Cooper S, Mercedes SL600 etc.

And there's also stuff that I DO consider to be sports cars but some might say that they

are NOT. i.e. Porsche 911 (back seats) or Mazda RX-8 (back seats)...

Is my Maxima a "sports car" since it has datsun 240Z guts... inline-six with MPEFi, IRS,

4-wheel disk brakes, RWD & a 5-speed? NO. It's a sports sedan, NOT a sports car....

and yet I think it's a LOT closer to a "sports car" mechanically than a Cobalt.

Right now GM sells only THREE sports cars in the USA. Chevrolet, Saturn & Pontiac each

get one & the later of the two are related. The 04-06 GTO was sport-coupe & the fourth

gen. F-bodys were Muscle Cars, not sports cars.

Sorry but I was taught that a sports car only has two seats.

That would make your Cobalt a sports coupe. OK, so only a difference in semantics. But that makes my Camaros sports coupes as well and not sports cars.

As for the Sky and Solstice, they fit the definition of both sports car and roadster. They have two seats and are both convertibles. The Corvette can also be a roadster while it remains a sports car.

No matter the label, your Cobalt is definately a fun car to have and that is the most important thing, I would think.

I had a similar discussion with a guy I know who has an SRT-4 several months ago, basically I used the same argument 68 posted above. I said back seat+rear doors+FWD=/=sports car. He kept arguing so I finally said, "Look, no matter what you say, its still just a Neon, which is still a POS economy car loved by old women an 16 year old girls, so it is not a sports car." He didn't like that, but didn't have anything to refute it. Is it sporty? Yes. Is it reasonably quick? Yes. Is it a sports car? No.

Edit: I agree and disagree with something else 68 said. I too would consider the 911 a sports car in spite of the back seat, but not the RX-8. If we had an actual 2-seat RX-7 I would call it a sports car, but the RX-8 with all of the extra doors and seats (and the weight they add) relegate it to sporty touring car status in my mind,

Edited by Satty

I'd have to say "No".

It's a very sporty and high performance vehicle, but it is not a "sports car".

look at the cobalt's performance numbers

and look at the cars it beats

damn right its a sports car

and if you want a two seater.....take the back seat out last i recall, didn't the 911 have rear seats? guess its not a sports car neither is a mustang then, or a camaro

Edited by regfootball

A sports car is about more than just performance numbers. A sports car also is inherently low, has RWD, and is not sedan-based. It most likely will have two seats, but can be a 2+2 (Ferrari 612 Scaglietta) or 3-seater (McLaren F1).

A sports car is about more than just performance numbers. A sports car also is inherently low, has RWD, and is not sedan-based. It most likely will have two seats, but can be a 2+2 (Ferrari 612 Scaglietta) or 3-seater (McLaren F1).

I'd categorize the Ferrari 612 as GT, like the Porsche 911... the F360, F430 are definitely sports cars, though..