GENEVA: Vauxhall VXR8

RJB

GM@Geneva
DON'T MOURN MONARO – HERE COMES THE VXR8!
Posted Image

• New Vauxhall supersaloon on sale in July, priced at £34,995
  • 6.0-litre V8, 420bhp, 0-60mph in 4.9 secs.
  • First VXR model available with an auto gearbox
Motoring enthusiasts across Britain mourned the passing of the Monaro. The only Australian-built car to be sold in the UK offered raw and exciting performance thanks to its 6.0-litre V8 and rear-wheel drive set up.

But the thunder from down under hasn't stopped yet – in fact it's only going to get louder. Vauxhall has announced the arrival of a new Aussie musclecar – the VXR8 – and it's more powerful and exciting than even the legendary Monaro.

The dramatic-looking new saloon is powered by the same 6.0-litre V8 as the outgoing Monaro VXR, but revisions to the engine have made it even more efficient. It now develops a massive 420PS and 550Nm of torque, giving it enough grunt to sprint from 0-60mph in just 4.9 seconds. No other supercar offers this sort of power for anywhere near the VXR8's price.

Yet the VXR8, based on Australia 's Holden HSV Clubsport R8, offers more in the way of practicality than the outgoing Monaro, with four doors and space for all the family.

Although practical, with a spacious boot, comfortable, long-legged cruising ability and luxuries such as climate control and leather trim, the VXR8 is certainly no softie. Driver aids such as the stability system and traction control can be turned off at the flick of a switch – perfect for drivers who want to hone their skills on a track day!

And VXR8 goes as well as it stops, too, with powerful 365mm front disc brakes that slow the car down from 60mph to a standstill faster than a Lamborghini Murcielago or BMW M5.

In response to customer demand, the VXR8 will also be the first VXR model to be offered with an automatic gearbox. In order to maintain the control which VXR buyers require, the optional £1,400 self-shifter has a manual override and a sport setting which ensure the performance isn't blunted – in fact the auto is only half a second slower to 60mph than the manual!

Satellite navigation and 20-inch wheels will be offered as options for those who want to make their VXR8 look more distinctive and help find their way to the best driving roads. Even with all the option boxes ticked however, the VXR8 is still around half the price of other cars with comparable performance. As all fast car fans know, Aussie rules.......

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

-----------------------------------------

A pretty impressive car, does this signal more performance for the G8 in the future?

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_officia...=499&page=1

How come Vauxhall gets cooler (20 inch) wheels and the fast steering wheel but the G8 doesn't?

Because British Vauxhall customers are more likely to pay extra for such goodies than an American Pontiac customers?

Not a big fan of the front end. That rear is interesting, I'm not sure if I like it more or less than the Commodore or G8. It's just different, the taillights themselves are actually quite cool looking, I don't know if it flows well with the back end design however. G8's is more of a traditional sporty style.

It looks sweet from everywhere except the front. I'm really not feelin the front.

The rims are probably show-only just like with the G8.

I'm pretty happy to say though that I like our G8 better.

Front end kinda looks like Mitsubishi design to me

How come Vauxhall gets cooler (20 inch) wheels and the fast steering wheel but the G8 doesn't?

Well, for one its a straight up rebadge of the Holden HSV Clubsport R8. Other than the badges, it's identical, which can't be said for the G8. Plus, it's going to be much more expensive than the G8 for obvious reasons.

The HSV GTS sports the huge 20" deep dish alloy wheels in Chrome Shadow as standard, while the HSV ClubSport R8 comes with 19". So it looks like the VXR8 is dipping in the parts bin for at least a couple of the HSV models.

Edited by douglask

This is the tail light design which the G8 should've featured except positioned where the G8 tail lights are positioned instead of below the body line like that.

We can only hope the G8 will receive this wheel option, because those are gorgeous wheels, even much better than the wheels the cars was introduced with.

AND, give me the Pontiac twin grille, with this lower bumper design and we have a G8 that I'd gladly buy.

:thumbsup: The side profile is awesome, very well executed.

:rolleyes: The front end leaves a lot to be desired, very boring and dull. The headlamps are a true knock off of the R34/35 Nissan Skyline.

:scratchchin: I lover the upper half of the rear-end. The wing and tail lights are great. I even like the dual exhaust system. Yet from the top of the bumper to the bottom it just seems wrong in the execution of it.

Here's hoping to a better product in the G8. :pbjtime:

I like it... there's something more original about the rear than the 1995 Dodge Stealth tail lights that are on the G8.

• 2 weeks later...

I always loved Vauxhall.....great millenium Lotus Carlton follow-up.

but...

Is this an implication Vauxhall is again separating from mainland Europe's Opel? What stops such a car from being offered in Germany, France, et al?

I'm also surprised I haven't heard a ton of rice calls in this post.

• 3 months later...