Start With Solstice

Start With Solstice

Posted Image A C&G Staff Commentary | by Louis Buccheri

March 1, 2007

Posted Image

A recent trip to my local Pontiac dealer left me with an impression strong enough to inspire this article. The reaction that so struck me as I browsed Premium Pontiac's overcrowded lot? No brand offers a clearer snapshot of where GM has been, and more importantly, where GM is headed. I'd venture to say that the general public currently associates the arrowhead more with Avis than excitement, but before you write this off as yet another piece fixated on poking fun at the brand's recent past, consider the following. Amidst the rows of Vibes, G5s, Torrents and Grand Prixes gathering dust sits a car that single-handedly embodies everything a Pontiac should. It's affordable, looks great, offers competent performance—and more importantly—you can't rent one. I'm talking about the Solstice, a car so perfectly Pontiac, GM can't afford to let it's buzz burn out.

I'd be insane to suggest a low-volume roadster—even one as good as the Solstice—is capable of getting the brand back on its feet. But if GM can employ the Solstice's winning formula in mainstream Pontiacs, you'll never leave the airport in anything wearing an arrowhead again.

The Solstice has curves. In the automotive industry, the clothes make the man. Conservative design can camouflage an otherwise competent contender. Case in point: the now-defunct GTO hit our shores with class-leading power, rear-drive, and one of the best interiors of any North American GM product. Staid sheetmetal was the fatal flaw that kept sales from ever reaching projections. In the mind of consumers, its capable underpinnings were quite literally beside the point. There is a happy medium between overwrought and uninspired, and GM's found it with the Solstice.

My neighbor—a sworn BMW loyalist—recently halted the parade of new Bimmers marching into his driveway. The car with which he chose to do so is none other than a Pontiac Solstice. It's pure, unadulterated driving experience enamored him in an era of increased assistance, excessive isolation, and iDrive. Simply put, the Solstice embodies much of what BMW used to stand for.

Affordable rear-drive is a rarity in today's automotive industry, and affordable compact rear-drive is uncharted territory. Casting a clearly-defined niche that caters to these markets would not only set Pontiac apart from the competition, but it would allow the brand to secure its position within GM as well. A well-balanced lineup composed of rear—and performance-tuned front and all-wheel-drive—would allow Pontiac to reestablish an image of budget-minded performance. If the G8 that bowed this past month in Chicago is any indication, Pontiac has the right idea.

Thanks to the all-new Commodore, Pontiac's rear-drive Grand Prix successor is a done deal. The G8 is the first North American application of GM’s global rear-drive architecture, a decision that speaks volumes about the General's intentions for the brand. With four doors, it will instantly appeal to a broader market than the aforementioned GTO. The availability of two thoroughly modern mills—an efficient V-6 and a potent V-8—will allow the G8 to entice both the practical and performance-minded alike. The G8 will aid General Motors in crafting a new image for Pontiac, and naysayers claiming it's design is too conservative are unfamiliar with the concept—and brilliance—of understatement. Its sheetmetal is aggressive without coming across as adolescent, and for a brand synonymous with tacked-on cladding in the not-so-distant past, that's a good thing. The G8 will serve as a stop-gap product until a North American derived flagship appears. Until then, it's a placeholder that makes perfect sense.

The Solstice transcends the stigma that's kept import-buyers out of Pontiac showrooms. If GM can translate this charisma into the G6, the resulting success could be of Cadillac proportions (think CTS). The next-generation of Pontiac's mainstream midsizer will play an integral role in the repositioning of the brand, yet details regarding its future are largely unknown. Rumors regarding the revival of a rear-drive Holden Torana have sparked speculation of a sibling rear-drive Pontiac to slot below the G8. The more likely alternative is an Epsilon II-based G6. If rear-drive is out of the question, a G6 utilizing Epsilon II's all-wheel-drive capability seems like a no brainer and is a likely possibility.

Pontiac's days of catering to each and every consumer are over. That's a good thing, even if the brand will ultimately be selling less cars. Think of it this way: for the first time in over a decade, Pontiac is without a minivan. The next generation Torrent will be sold next door by GMC, and the W-body Grand Prix will finally be laid to rest following the G8's arrival. As loose ends continue to be tied up (or cut off altogether), a new Pontiac will continue to emerge. A tighter focus is the key to survival, and for the first time in years, a more tightly focused—and performance oriented—arrowhead is in sight.

--------------------

Contact Bimmer325 via Email

>>"Conservative design can camouflage an otherwise competent contender. Case in point: the upcoming G8 will hit our shores with class-leading power, rear-drive, and one of the best interiors of any North American GM product. Staid sheetmetal will likely be the fatal flaw that keeps sales from ever reaching projections. In the mind of consumers, its capable underpinnings will quite literally be beside the point."<< Edited by balthazar

Great write up, Bimmer.

>>"Conservative design can camouflage an otherwise competent contender. Case in point: the upcoming G8 will hit our shores with class-leading power, rear-drive, and one of the best interiors of any North American GM product. Staid sheetmetal will likely be the fatal flaw that keeps sales from ever reaching projections. In the mind of consumers, its capable underpinnings will quite literally be beside the point."<<

:rolleyes:

Very tight article, Bimmer. Yes, the Solstice has a style that is all Pontiac. The G8, considerably less so. I had a chance yesterday to cruise through C&G at work. Onscreen in all its glory was the hot new Vauxhall version of the Commodore. A coworker who has been into cars all his life said "That looks nice, but it looks like a Cavalier." Echoes of GTO. The conservative greenhouse and midsection may continue to please Australians and the English, but I was hoping for something as inspired, and brand-specific, as Solstice for Pontiac's reborn flagship.

The G8 will aid General Motors in crafting a new image for Pontiac, and naysayers claiming it's design is too conservative are unfamiliar with the concept—and brilliance—of understatement. Its sheetmetal is aggressive without coming across as adolescent, and for a brand synonymous with tacked-on cladding in the not-so-distant past, that's a good thing. The G8 will serve as a stop-gap product until a North American derived flagship appears. Until then, it's a placeholder that makes perfect sense.

As always, your writing is in fine form. Great job, Lou.

I'm going to sidestep the ensuing war over the G8 (my feelings on the car are ell documented), but I will say that if the Solstice and the G8 will be the flagbearers for the new, slate-wiped-clean Pontiac, they might just be OK. It's a shame that in between the Solstice and G8, we have had to tolerate the G5 and Torrent. Nothing like a couple of rebadged Chevies to kill your momentum - now before anyone begins the "but the G8 is a rebadge" counterargument, take into account that it's built half a world away and the average consumer might not know or care.

I definitely think Pontiac should bring the coupe of the Solstice ASAP.

They should keep their crosshairs on BMW and Porsche, not Mazda.

Like how obvious C&D compared the Solstice GXP with the Boxter.

When you bring sports car like those it not only increases the volume on the floor of the dealer lot, but you geet respect.

A very well written article.

Nothing like a couple of rebadged Chevies to kill your momentum - now before anyone begins the "but the G8 is a rebadge" counterargument, take into account that it's built half a world away and the average consumer might not know or care.

I don't think that argument holds any water, and is silly. If the argument is the rebadge killed any chances of different Pontiac style, then say that, but there is nothing wrong with this car being a rebadge.

Bimmer, I'm allowed like 30 minutes to browse the net a day. I took the time to read your piece, and it was worth it. You gave a fair and balanced report, and it's optomistic, which is great. About the only thing I can add is the perspective of the impact of the G8's design should have been included. You included all the analysis on it being a great car, and your own thoughts about the design, which were all great, and true. But you could have stated something about the level of impact future Pontiac designs need to make to score with the public, adn that G8's conservative but handsome and strong dress has yet to receive a verdict.

I don't think that argument holds any water, and is silly. If the argument is the rebadge killed any chances of different Pontiac style, then say that, but there is nothing wrong with this car being a rebadge.

You misunderstood me, man. I love the G8 and dont care that it's a rebadged Commodore, and I'm on record as saying that I'll buy one as soon as I'm ready providing there's no Ute-based El Camino. I was referring to the G5 and Torrent with my "rebadged Chevies" comment. Had G8 followed Solstice without the G5 and Torrent in between, I would think that Pontiac's plan for revival would appear more cohesive to the public.

To keep the momentum of the Solstice going, they need to build a coupe.

From a reliable source, "Yeah, The other day I was walking by the Shakers, And A saw a solstice with a hard roof on it. Personally I rather have a convertible. The coupe roof doesn't look quite as good. Its like the concept."

Me: "Oh really? How long have these new ones been there?"

Source:"I really don't pay attention to Cars anymore, Because of the cuts we have been swamped with so much work, We have to bring in contractors to do some jobs. But I think I have seen some crashed up Hard tops and also seen em on the door slammers for a couple months now."

So I would say Look For it soon!

Nice write up. But I believe the GTO wasn't successful because It had the worst marketing for it. Also It suffered from the Fireo disease as does the solstice now. Dealer Gouging. When the GTO first hit dealers I seen stickers with 45,000+ stickers on them. Insane! Now you can't touch a Solstice unless you have 26,000 on you. And its supposed to be 20k. Like how the Fireo was ruined by dealers over pricing them till demand dropped. After GM found that out They were supposed to prevent it from happening again, But History repeats it self.

From a reliable source, "Yeah, The other day I was walking by the Shakers, And A saw a solstice with a hard roof on it. Personally I rather have a convertible. The coupe roof doesn't look quite as good. Its like the concept."

Me: "Oh really? How long have these new ones been there?"

Source:"I really don't pay attention to Cars anymore, Because of the cuts we have been swamped with so much work, We have to bring in contractors to do some jobs. But I think I have seen some crashed up Hard tops and also seen em on the door slammers for a couple months now."

So I would say Look For it soon!

Nice write up. But I believe the GTO wasn't successful because It had the worst marketing for it. Also It suffered from the Fireo disease as does the solstice now. Dealer Gouging. When the GTO first hit dealers I seen stickers with 45,000+ stickers on them. Insane! Now you can't touch a Solstice unless you have 26,000 on you. And its supposed to be 20k. Like how the Fireo was ruined by dealers over pricing them till demand dropped. After GM found that out They were supposed to prevent it from happening again, But History repeats it self.

I hope you're not referring to the EDAG one. That thing looks weird. A Solstice coupe should have a low-slung roof like a Cayman.

Nice article, Bimmer! If the Torana-based G6 and G8 don't succeed, I don't see any point in Pontiac living. The Solstice is nice, but I prefer the Sky, and I see little to no reason to choose Solstice over it.

i feel the same way, the gto lived up to everything the original was, but in '04 there were ebay auctions asking 10 even 15 grand for the right to purchase the 1st on the lot, that wasnt factored into the cost... these were dealerships doing this on ebay. even as i type this there is a smokin hot red 06 goat sittin on the local pontiac lot... never titled. they still want $30,000 for it as far as i know. maybe the net GTO will resurect the "feelings" people had for the old ones... even though i'd say the 06 could take a 69 ram air IV

Edited by cletus8269

Pontiac needs a balance between FWD and RWD too. But the Solstice, G8 and GXP Series even in the Bonneville and Grand Prix and GTO have shown they are serious about performance and styling to a certain extent at least.

Pontiac needs a balance between FWD and RWD too. But the Solstice, G8 and GXP Series even in the Bonneville and Grand Prix and GTO have shown they are serious about performance and styling to a certain extent at least.

i don't think that they need a fwd car. make all of pontiac rwd and get rid of the g5! :pokeowned:

i don't think that they need a fwd car. make all of pontiac rwd and get rid of the g5! :pokeowned:

I'd agree... Buick and Pontiac need to gain respect in the premium classes. Pontiac going all-RWD w/AWD available will do that because that's what the premium-performance market demands. Buick can have a mix of RWD, AWD, & FWD because that's what the premium-luxury market market demands.

Both can do this. GM should have the platforms available to pull this off pretty soon.

GM should have the platforms available to pull this off pretty soon.

yep sounds like the the W body plants are going to slow down so every new buick can be a W! :ph34r: :AH-HA_wink:

I agree with everything except the G8. This car is headed down the same road that it's sibling brother the GTO went down. With gasoline heading towards 3 bucks a gallon again a RWD V8 Holden rebadge is the last thing Pontiac needs. With limits of 30K - 50K only being imported, even if for some odd reason it started to take off, this limit will drive prices up way beyond sticker price. More than likely though, with it's (BAS) Boring Australian Styling, I think this car will be sitting on dealer lots for quite a while. :thumbsdown:

With gasoline heading towards 3 bucks a gallon again a RWD V8 Holden rebadge is the last thing Pontiac needs.

:glare: Pontiac needs the G8 andit will offer a V6. Moreover, the G8 will offer something that Pontiac been lacking for some time, a 5 seat, rwd, drive like a bmw (alomst), powerful V6 & V8, sedan all within a great bargan.

More than likely though, with it's (BAS) Boring Australian Styling,

Right on that one, it's much better than the GTO, but it's still bland like a toyota. though most of C&Gs have a double standard or can't accept that , but i understand that. The solstice had great looks that made people say "What car is that?", "That's a pontiac?!" and that wasn't a rebadged holden!! Holden has the experties in RWD that's good which we need in the us for upcomming cars and develop them with reduced R&D costs. Design? Well Holden is never a leader on that one, except the eiffy (sp?) concept.

I think this car will be sitting on dealer lots for quite a while

Dealers? ha, Half of them doesen't know S*** about the auto industry, there are there to make a living. It takes more than what ever they learn in Business 101 to help gm a little more w/ selling cars. The short sighted ones will over gouge the G8 buy marking them up or adding such unnecessary overpriced BS in them, greatly reducing it's "value" in offering great performance for a cheap price. Thus making some potental customers turn away.

Right on that one, it's much better than the GTO, but it's still bland like a toyota. though most of C&Gs have a double standard or can't accept that , but i understand that. The solstice had great looks that made people say "What car is that?", "That's a pontiac?!" and that wasn't a rebadged holden!! Holden has the experties in RWD that's good which we need in the us for upcomming cars and develop them with reduced R&D costs. Design? Well Holden is never a leader on that one, except the eiffy (sp?) concept.

No double standard here. The G8's design is contemporary and understated but sporty, stealthy, and chiseled. It's attractive, regardless of it being a rebadged Holden, and isn't bland. Just because a design isn't excessively styled, doesn't mean its bland. It has substance and style, unlike a bland car. It's a design one can appreciate.

No double standard here. The G8's design is contemporary and understated but sporty, stealthy, and chiseled. It's attractive, regardless of it being a rebadged Holden, and isn't bland. Just because a design isn't excessively styled, doesn't mean its bland. It has substance and style, unlike a bland car. It's a design one can appreciate.

:withstupid:

I don't think anyone aside from the car guys/gals knows what a Holden is or where it comes from.

Great article Bimmer. :thumbsup:

Guest YellowJacket894

I think GM should be very harsh on dealers who practice the wallet-insulting "Market-Adjusted Price" procedures. If Lutz asked me what to do, I would say to just fine the assholes who prevent sales and tarnish vehicle image. Make them pay out of the nose and out of the ass by a few grand and then we'll see if they use those ugly tack-on window stickers they make out of printer paper and a five minute greed trip.

bring out a compact car with rwd and at least 200hp (solstice coupe solstice coupe solstice coupe solstice coupe solstice coupe solstice coupe solstice coupe *ahem) and people will buy it!! I will buy it!! everyone with a foot as heavy as their brain will buy it!! :idhitit::thumbsup::pbjtime::pbjtime::pbjtime:

Edited by Xicer

market adjustments are the nature of any retail product-driven business. when a product is hot, there are people in line and willing to pay the price for it. look at PS3, or any other successful brand that has had a huge launch recently.

market adjustments didn't kill the gto; they solstice is a much bigger success than gto ever was, in spite of huge market adjustments, even the sky had dealer add ons forcing the sticker up by $10k in many cases. it was the style or lack of and lack of interest in it, that killed the GTO.

:withstupid:

Because god-forbid they do this to the G8:

Posted Image

Pontiac needs to get ride of the G5 and give us a Solstice hard top like that concept. That could swing me from getting a lot of other cars expecially with DI and a turbo. The G8 will do fine as long as EPA numbers and not to bad. The V6 will do well. Some here forget people are still buying 50K gas guzzling luxury cars in large amounts and $3.00 gas will not stop them. What Pontiac needs now is to give the G6 a DI 4 banger and V6 with DI with AWD standard plus a new interior and it will sell even better.

Oh and that G6 above looks hot what are you guys talking about?

Edited by rueben44

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings