Wheels!

Wheel styles  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which wheel style do you like better?

• VCT Wheels V10 18x7.5's
    • Foose Splitz Chrome 20x8.5

So this summer I'd like to put in enough extra hours at work to get some wheels for the Intrepid. I was thinking either 18, 19, or 20 inch wheels...although I'd like to see what they look like on the car in those sizes. Anyway, these are the 2 that I really like:

http://www.custom-wheels-car-rims.com/Stor...;ShowLarge=True

http://www.custom-wheels-car-rims.com/Stor...;ShowLarge=True

I like the elegant simplicity of the V10's, plus they closely resemble Dodge's style of 5-spoke wheels

I like the slightly more daring but still tasteful design of the Foose wheels.

So guys, what do you think would look better? Or is there another style that might look good. I'd consider 6-spokes, although I prefer 5. They must be tasteful, and they can't look like pie plates.

Thanks for the input ^_^

Of course I need to consider the width of the wheels and how they would fit in the wheel wells. I'm not sure how to take those measurements...is there a way to get them online?

The VCT 18s definitely would work. They look like Dodge rims plus they are the same size as the Magnum and Charger so they should fit. Check AmericanRacing.com and got to the application guide. If you see the size then that should work. The 20x 8.5" seem big. The 20s would probably be too big and too wide. You can even check the Dodge dealer as Mopar even sells custom rims for their vehicles.

Edited by american_revolution_2005

You want to put $1300-$2200 rims (not to mention new rubber) on a car you paid like two grand for?

I think in both cases they are too "blingy"...The V10's would be a much better choice though. I don't really care for either of them, but I'm more of a simple design, brushed aluminum/painted/polished wheel kind of guy, and I like a nice lip.

when it comes to wheels, im picky... i hate oversize wheels, and not just on wheels, but on cars in general... im against excessive chrome... im looking at wheels for my car, and my criteria is no bigger then 16" (though ill probably go with 15"s) and i want a black rim with a chrome or polished lip....... i think those V10's would be good painted black with the face of the spokes polished...

You want to put $1300-$2200 rims (not to mention new rubber) on a car you paid like two grand for?

Yeah, why not? People spend 10 grand an up to put ugly wheels on their 80's Civics. The car is worth like 6 grand, I just got it for a really good deal.

I think in both cases they are too "blingy"...The V10's would be a much better choice though. I don't really care for either of them, but I'm more of a simple design, brushed aluminum/painted/polished wheel kind of guy, and I like a nice lip.

I like polished myself...but they didn't come in that style and I have yet to see a polished one (outside teh SRT vehicles) I like.

The V10's have been calling me since I saw them. I just wonder what 18's look like on the Intrepid. I don't want them oversized, but a good size at the same time.

BV: They would look good on the MilleniaI think

when it comes to wheels, im picky... i hate oversize wheels, and not just on wheels, but on cars in general... im against excessive chrome... im looking at wheels for my car, and my criteria is no bigger then 16" (though ill probably go with 15"s) and i want a black rim with a chrome or polished lip....... i think those V10's would be good painted black with the face of the spokes polished...

Mm...I've never been a fan of black wheels, or anything painted. I also don't like wheels that are too small., they make the proportions of a car look odd.

I'm just curious... What do you own? I can't see 15" wheels looking good on anything but a subcompact.

I'm just curious... What do you own? I can't see 15" wheels looking good on anything but a subcompact.

oh right now im rocking the 14" steelies with hubcaps... so 15's would be a step up... i have a 71 nova, and the biggest wheels i would see getting for the car would be 16" American Racing Torque Thrust D's

:wub:

Posted Image

Personally, Dodge, I like the Foose rims. The V10's are nice though. You need to see how both sets would look on your car and decide from there.

Here Dodge, try this. On Discount Tire's website they have an interactive showcase to show you what your car would look like with different rims on it.

Click here

Edited by Screaming Trees

You are going to pay more for one WHEEL than I payed for my Datsun?

Dude.... if you have $2000 to burn why not buy a better car instead of

spending your money on something as silly as rims. Most of my "rims"

have been bought at Holland's Junkyard for $5 each with semi-decent

rubber.

To each his own I guess. I think spending anything more than $200 for

a pair of wheels is idiotic. Esp. when they will make you car handle like

crap, stop much worse and accelerate slower.

And then to make matters worse they'll be stolen in about 2.5 weeks.

rubber.

Why buy a better car? What's wrong with the Intrepid. I love the car..."buying a better car" to me, would mean spending 25+ grand, and I don't and won;t for a long time, have that kind of money.

Sell the Intrepid and put that money plus the 2 grand toward something else...

Or f@#k buying rims and invest the cash. (of course, this is the pot calling the kettle black...I don't even want to get into my situation with my car)...

rubber.

Yet you payed how much for a beat up Camaro? :P

Anyways, to some people, wheels add to the look of the car. Having ugly or small wheels detracts from the look and you're not going to find "junkyard special" wheels that look halfway decent. Also, the handling differences are minimal. Ride, however, will obviously change. And as far as being stolen, ever hear of a locking lug nut set? One came with my Millenia and every RX-8 I've ever seen had one.

Its just dumb to put $3k in wheels/rubber onto a car with unpteen-thousand miles and an NADA trade-in value of under $2k (retail of $3400) for the same reason its dumb to put a huge wing and dubs on an '89 Civic, it still wont be anything special. For once, 68 and I are in agreement, there are better ways to spend the $.

I've always been a fan of things increasing in value, a set of wheels wont do that. Stocks will. Investing the money, waiting a couple of years and selling will get you a hell of a lot more than some cheesy rims. I resisted making several thousand dollars worth the improvements to my Saturn and resisted getting a more expensive car than the Fusion by putting a bunch of cash up front because I wanted to buy a house, which is totally more rewarding than having some bling.

I'm with Satty and 68. Spending this kind of money on an everyday car just is not worth it. I know you love your car, but the sad truth is, the rest of the world could care less about it. I found out the hard way with my Blazer. Put that money away and save it for when you need it.

If you absolutely insist on upgrading the wheels - I could understand not wanting hubcaps - try going for a used set of top-of-the-line Intrepid rims from eBay or a swap meet. In all likelihood you can pick up a set with good rubber for the cost of one of those wheels. Here's a nice set here

I've been thinking about picking up some Ford rims on eBay, but I'd have to look into whether or not 500 rims will fit on the Fusion. I like the 7-spoke look of my covers and Fusion wheels are 5-spoke.

Well damn, the 7-spoke 500 rims have a different bolt pattern and offset than the Fusion ones.

Edited by Satty

I've always been a fan of things increasing in value, a set of wheels wont do that. Stocks will. Investing the money, waiting a couple of years and selling will get you a hell of a lot more than some cheesy rims. I resisted making several thousand dollars worth the improvements to my Saturn and resisted getting a more expensive car than the Fusion by putting a bunch of cash up front because I wanted to buy a house, which is totally more rewarding than having some bling.

Appearantly, the only cars you should be buying are ones that increase in value or ones that are the anti enthusiast. :P

I'm with Satty and 68. Spending this kind of money on an everyday car just is not worth it. I know you love your car, but the sad truth is, the rest of the world could care less about it. I found out the hard way with my Blazer. Put that money away and save it for when you need it.

If you absolutely insist on upgrading the wheels - I could understand not wanting hubcaps - try going for a used set of top-of-the-line Intrepid rims from eBay or a swap meet. In all likelihood you can pick up a set with good rubber for the cost of one of those wheels. Here's a nice set here

If your only thought when buying and using a car is how others perceive your vehicle, you're not an enthusiast. If your only thought is how much you'll get out of your vehicle when you sell it, you're not an enthusiast. If putting money into your car to improve it's looks, performance, or whatever isn't worth it, you're not an enthusiast. However, If you like how your car is in the first place, that's fine. But things like this is the entire reason vehicle modification exists, whether the vehicle is a show car, daily driver, or an off roader. It's all the same and it's not worthless unless you're not a true enthusiast. If you love the car you own and are an enthusiast, you won't care about petty things like that.

I will add that if the only reason you bought a certain car is just to have a car strictly for transportation purposes and feel no attachment to it, like a Camry, I could understand the above. It's how my Millenia started out, but it's much more than that and I eventually realised it. For the sort of mileage it (and DF's Intrepid) has, there's not much reason to even try to sell the car as it was bought. While the gains may not be much, modding them will increase the value, just like remodeling areas of a house will increase the value. You just have to find the right buyer. Even then, I can't see myself ever parting ways with my Millenia. I'd love to keep it, better its condition, and see how long it can go before it gives up on me.

Edited by blackviper8891

almost no car, not even the wonderful Millenia with the 5-speed auto, will appreciate in value, anybody will tell you that a new car is a bad investment and almost any used car is an even worse investment (the exceptions being things like Z's Corvette which is going to be worth a lot more than he put into it). And if you're saying things like "I wont have the $ for a nicer car anytime soon" then you've probably got better things to spend money on than some rims (which wont make the Intrepid an "enthusiast" car) and if you dont have better things to blow money on then you could easily get the most out of your money by being smart with it.

By your definition people who paint their mom's '93 Accord bright yellow and put fart cans on it are enthusiasts when they're really just dumbasses.

almost no car, not even the wonderful Millenia with the 5-speed auto, will appreciate in value, anybody will tell you that a new car is a bad investment and almost any used car is an even worse investment (the exceptions being things like Z's Corvette which is going to be worth a lot more than he put into it). And if you're saying things like "I wont have the $ for a nicer car anytime soon" then you've probably got better things to spend money on than some rims (which wont make the Intrepid an "enthusiast" car) and if you dont have better things to blow money on then you could easily get the most out of your money by being smart with it.

By your definition people who paint their mom's '93 Accord bright yellow and put fart cans on it are enthusiasts when they're really just dumbasses.

True, but no one buys a car as an investment. You either buy it for transportation or because you like it. On your terms, the whole act of being an enthusiast is worthless. There's no money in being an enthusiast. With anything, it's because it's what you enjoy. If all you're worried about is money, you shouldn't be talking about cars in the first place. Money isn't everything.

If your only thought when buying and using a car is how others perceive your vehicle, you're not an enthusiast. If your only thought is how much you'll get out of your vehicle when you sell it, you're not an enthusiast. If putting money into your car to improve it's looks, performance, or whatever isn't worth it, you're not an enthusiast. However, If you like how your car is in the first place, that's fine. But things like this is the entire reason vehicle modification exists, whether the vehicle is a show car, daily driver, or an off roader. It's all the same and it's not worthless unless you're not a true enthusiast. If you love the car you own and are an enthusiast, you won't care about petty things like that.

I will add that if the only reason you bought a certain car is just to have a car strictly for transportation purposes and feel no attachment to it, like a Camry, I could understand the above.

Dude, do you have any idea who you're talking to? I have a '68 Corvette basket case in my possession. The next few years of my life and a good postion of my salary are dedicated to brining that thing back from the dead. Don't EVER call me an anti-enthusuast again. :stupid:

Dude, do you have any idea who you're talking to? I have a '68 Corvette basket case in my possession. The next few years of my life and a good postion of my salary are dedicated to brining that thing back from the dead. Don't EVER call me an anti-enthusuast again. :stupid:

I was speaking in general, not towards anyone specific, FYI. :P Edited by blackviper8891

Well Dodge, I bet you didn't think asking a question would spawn an arguement. If it's rims you want then get them. It is after all your car, your money, and your decision. Don't worry about other peoples opinions of what they think you should do with your money or what you should or shouldn't do with your car. You own it, you drive it, not them. Which ever set of rims you decide on be sure to post some pics up.

Oh and for what its worth I voted for the Foose rims. :)

Its just dumb to put $3k in wheels/rubber onto a car with unpteen-thousand miles and an NADA trade-in value of under $2k (retail of $3400) for the same reason its dumb to put a huge wing and dubs on an '89 Civic, it still wont be anything special. For once, 68 and I are in agreement, there are better ways to spend the $.

True..lots of people do dumb things that make no rational financial sense..there are people that RENT wheels, after all.

I could see older cars using 15 inch wheels..my '87 Mustang GT has 15s.. 15 inch wheels look great on '60s muscle cars, IMHO.

To Sixty8 (dude, there are Shadows out there worth more than your Datsun, telling me the wheels I want are worth more than your whole cars says something a bout THAT car). (c'mon man, you set yourself up for it) :P

To Satty, and z28. All you guys are concerned about is what sort of stupid value it may or may not add to the vehicle, and what other people may think of it. 1st..I paid 2 grand for this car, what do you think selling it will get me? I have no interest in selling it. 2.) I don't give 2 $h!s about impressing others. I care how it looks to me...if others like great, if not...f@#k them :P 3.) Unlike some of you people, who are "car enthusiasts" but only keep your cars for a year or 2 before ditching them, cars that enter my family stay in my family. I have a connection with the car. It's not just some piece of machinery. I love it, it's a great car that's saved my ass a few times when the other cars gave out (most recent example was yesterday) It's a handsome car, it's refined, it drives well and handles well.

Also, there is a huge difference between sticking a 2 foot retarded spoiler on an economy $h!box, and tasteful wheels...if you can't tell the difference than I just feel sorry for you.

Any mod you do to your car, by your definition, unless it's a Corvette or Cuda, is a waist of money. What's the point of being a car enthusiast if you never have fun with the cars or treat them?

To BV: thank you, at least someone here gets it. Just because the car isn't a Corvette doesn't mean it has to be treated like it's $h!. If you love your car, and you want it to look nice, than go for it. This is the nicest car I have owned, it has been very good to me, my girlfriend, and my family. It's a great car that's already proved it's worth. It deserves something nice.

It's not about increasing the value of my car, and not really about what other people think. It's what I think of the car, and what it deserves. Of course most of you guys swear up and down Chrysler engines and transmissions will blow up at 5k miles...So far that's not the case for either Dodge.

And, if, god forbid, the engine gives out...i won't junk it...I hate junking cars...it makes me feel so sad...I'll replace the engine (with a 3.2 or 3.5).

And of course, I want something newer, more powerful, etc. at some point my life, but I won't just abandon the car.

Oh yeah, those first wheels look pretty good RBB.