Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

So I got to ride in a Civic yesterday

134 posts in this topic

My coworker drives a Civic sedan (he got it instead of the coupe for practicality reasons). Yesterday I road with him so he could show me an apartment complex that was rather confusing to figure out...I'm sure I'll get lost the first time I deliver there. But I digress.

The car is very roomy inside with top-notch interior materials that include a soft-touch upper dash, soft touch upper door panels, and fabric padded armrests on the center one and the doors. The hard plastics were well textures and pleasing to touch. I didn't mess with the switchgear but it all looked very easy to use. The design itself is really cool. the speedo is huge and easy to read the numbers, and the tach looks very cool and is also easy to read. The steering wheel is tiny and thick...plus it looks cool, and the shifter and small hand brake are highly stylized and very original. The car's engine very responsive and quiet and the transmission shifts smoothly and without delay. It also road very well over the lousy streets of Lawrence with no crashing sensations over the big stuff. It also had a very tight turning radius. I have to say that based on my impressions of that car it's easy to see why its class-leading and why so many people buy them. :thumbsup:

GM, Ford, Toyota and Chrysler have a fair amount of catching up to do.

Edited by Dodgefan

Only bad thing I can say about the current Civic is that the DX (base model, starting at around $15k) doesn't have a radio or air conditioning standard. It has ABS and a spoiler, but no AC.

Only bad thing I can say about the current Civic is that the DX (base model, starting at around $15k) doesn't have a radio or air conditioning standard. It has ABS and a spoiler, but no AC.

It has curtain and side airbags, too. The DX is only there to lower the starting MSRP.

It has curtain and side airbags, too. The DX is only there to lower the starting MSRP.

The DX is there so Honda dealers can bait-and-switch people onto the lots with a ridiculously low MSRP/lease offer and bump them up to a realistically-equipped car for more $$$.

The steering wheel is too small (I'm driving, not playing OutRun) and nothing beats a real HUD instead of the phony HUD-esque digital speedo readout. Otherwise, a decent compact if you really need a compact. Too bad the far inferior Corolla outsells it.

The DX is there so Honda dealers can bait-and-switch people onto the lots with a ridiculously low MSRP/lease offer and bump them up to a realistically-equipped car for more $$$.

The steering wheel is too small (I'm driving, not playing OutRun) and nothing beats a real HUD instead of the phony HUD-esque digital speedo readout. Otherwise, a decent compact if you really need a compact. Too bad the far inferior Corolla outsells it.

I like small steering wheels better than than huge ones, it's all in the preference I guess :P The instrument cluster is funky but I like it for that reason...it's different.

Not that they're the same vehicle, but I was in a last gen cr-v last fall and the interior was mediocre junk; 3 different colors & plastic textures, strange ergonomics, merely decent fit-n-finish. Either honda has improved their interiors markedly or the cr-v was designed with a very different set of parameters.

Edited by balthazar

Toyota is getting a little more aggressive in flogging the Corolla these days; whereas, the Honda dealers are getting a little high on themselves. I would agree that the Civic is a great little car. It's styling is perhaps a little too "out there" for a lot of the older crowd who have been loyal to them. Personally, I like it.

But under the category of "Twenty Dollar a Monthing Yourself to Death." the Mazda 3 would be at least as good a vehicle, and for the money the Cobalt is better still. It is too bad that GM got caught cutting a few corners with the interior of the Cobalt (again), but otherwise it is a great car. So, the Cobalt is now nearly $2 grand cheaper than a Civic (in this market), which is nothing to sneeze at. For the same reason, Chrysler is scaring some of their hardcore (older) customers with the Calibre.

I'd rather they spent $500 more on the interior (particularly those awful cloth seats - rip them out of last year Optra, if you have to!) and then perhaps we wouldn't have to be on the defensive so much.

have they cut the road and engine noise down to a level where the radio is usable?

The DX is a BS model. I don't even know why Honda sells it.

I'm not too thrilled with the new Civic's (my friend owns one) interior. There are many bits and pieces that I found that were a lot cheaper than the last generation Civic.

However, I was extremely impressed with the car's chassis rigidity. You'll notice it every single time you step into that car from another car. The chassis just feels extremely solid and stiff over bumps and undulations. The result is almost zero creaking, squeaking, noises etc. (drives me nuts). Also, the doors close in a very secure and cushioned fashion.

Overall, a very impressive car for the class that it is in.

Cobalt was simply a generation behind upon intro.

Class lagging safety features, 4 sp. auto, mediocre space utilization & mileage and a lack of ind rear suspension tells all you need to know about GM's intentions.

The Civic is clearly not for everyone, but its a nice product for most.

However, I was extremely impressed with the car's chassis rigidity. You'll notice it every single time you step into that car from another car. The chassis just feels extremely solid and stiff over bumps and undulations. The result is almost zero creaking, squeaking, noises etc. (drives me nuts). Also, the doors close in a very secure and cushioned fashion.

Again, the number one reason why I'm baffled at the Corolla's continued sales figures. Forget plastics, power, styling, even equipment and look at it only from the above standpoint. The Civic is a car that doesn't feel like its going to shake apart or tip over during regular driving. Even the last Civic was more structurally-sound than most compacts on the market and the current one is a marked improvement over it.

New CRV interior is best in class.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:rotflmao:

Because it has a navigation system and some generic gauges? That's without a doubt the most bias statement I've heard in a while. The CRV's interior is a piece of junk. Hard, hollow plastic everywhere, noisy, and cramped. RAV4, Santa Fe, and basically all other compact SUVs/X-Over I rode in while shopping for one with my aunt were superior. The CRV was close to worst in class.

Posted Image

OMG TEH RADIO ISN"T INTEGRATED INTO THE CENTER STACK! MORE GM CRAPPOLA BUILD QUALITY! GM IS THE SUXORS!

oh... it's a honda?

Never mind.

:rotflmao:

Because it has a navigation system and some generic gauges? That's without a doubt the most bias statement I've heard in a while. The CRV's interior is a piece of junk. Hard, hollow plastic everywhere, noisy, and cramped. RAV4, Santa Fe, and basically all other compact SUVs/X-Over I rode in while shopping for one with my aunt were superior. The CRV was close to worst in class.

Because you are usually very reasonable and logical I will withhold from using the word I thought of when I saw the post that followed yours.

He posted pictures in support of his argument, no more no less. They were not alone meant to prove the quality of the inteiror, his opinion was the evidence for that. However, those gauges may be generic but they are highly highly detailed and the information center that resides in between them is also expensive looking.

CR-V's interior, the current generation, the one that just debuted, is in a class all its own. It is far superior to cars costing 10k more, like the Edge, the Lambdas, the Silverado, the GMT 900s excluding Escalade. The consistency of materials, the textures, the fluidity with which each control stalk and button operates all speak to a higher standard of build. The leather is amazing.

the last generation CR-V was released in 2002. Perhaps that's why held up against today's standards it is subpar. But in 2002, it was pretty good.

Too bad Honda didn't apply the same design thoroughness to the exterior.

Too bad Honda didn't apply the same design thoroughness to the exterior.

I disagree, if you are implying it doesn't look sophisticated. If you are implying it doesn't look good, then I'd have to agree with you because it just isn't for me. For a young mom though, it might be the right look.

After the initial WTH is that reaction I had to the Civic, its styling has grown on me quite a bit. Now I think other cars in its class look too dated, boring or conservative in comparison.

Because you are usually very reasonable and logical I will withhold from using the word I thought of when I saw the post that followed yours.

He posted pictures in support of his argument, no more no less. They were not alone meant to prove the quality of the inteiror, his opinion was the evidence for that. However, those gauges may be generic but they are highly highly detailed and the information center that resides in between them is also expensive looking.

CR-V's interior, the current generation, the one that just debuted, is in a class all its own. It is far superior to cars costing 10k more, like the Edge, the Lambdas, the Silverado, the GMT 900s excluding Escalade. The consistency of materials, the textures, the fluidity with which each control stalk and button operates all speak to a higher standard of build. The leather is amazing.

the last generation CR-V was released in 2002. Perhaps that's why held up against today's standards it is subpar. But in 2002, it was pretty good.

Posted Image

You've gotta be kidding me. There are 8 shades of gray in that thing!

and you're saying it is "clearly" superior to these?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't think it's "clearly" superior to any of these. Sure the turn signal lever might have a nicer feel to it... but come on. What are you smoking and do you intend to share?

Edited by Oldsmoboi

I was being sarcastic about the gauges and nav unit making a nicer interior, but I was being serious in the rest. Guess I should have used a smiley to make that more clear.

As for the CRV, I rode in the current one, not the old one, back to back with the current RAV4, and felt, from a passenger's point of view, that the RAV4 was nicer, as well as the Santa Fe and others.

Your statement that the CRV’s interior is nicer than the Lambdas and T900s is ridiculous. It may be equal to the Edge's, but I felt that sucked for the most part, too. There was one part of the interior that I thought was nice, and it was the upper part of the door armrest, the rest sucked. The dash sounded hollow when tapped, the plastics were rough and hard, and it was impossible to find a comfortable seating position. The only consistency I found was that most of the materials were consistently bad.

I just posted some random pics. After reading your post, it's 100% clear to me that you haven't checked out the new CRV. It walks all over the competition (especially the RAV4 which has a very cheap interior in comparison).

The plastics are absolutely superb with excellent graining, texture and feel. The material quality is very high and the knobs, dials, stalks and other control surfaces are all very precise with no play. With the exception of the no-6 cylinder option, this is truely a superior product.

Once again, don't just go off of internet photos. They only tell half the story (the design part). You'll be surprised how high quality the new CRV's interior is and the competition has a lot of catching up to do.

This is the only large photo I could find (it's the same as the US interior except right handed)

Posted Image

As I said previously, your opinion has to be the most bias thing I have read in a long time. I did not drive the CRV, but I rode in the passenger seat. Therefore, I cannot comment on the stalks, dials, etc., which may very well be very nice and precise, but the materials, aside from the upper part of the door armrests, sucked (see above).

The design is nice, but the majority of the materials certainly are not.

Also, I sat in a $29k model, so it's not as if it had nothing on it.

I disagree, if you are implying it doesn't look sophisticated. If you are implying it doesn't look good, then I'd have to agree with you because it just isn't for me. For a young mom though, it might be the right look.

It just doesn't look good and while certain elements of sophistication exist, the overall styling theme is head-scratching. Like art, for me to appreciate a design as being sophisticated, I have to first know what the hell it is.

I'm sorry, the Edge's interior is nowhere even close to the CRV's interior. It looks ok in photos but in person, it is the same old Ford - cheap, cheap, cheap.

Compare The Edge's interior to Ford's own Mazda CX9's interior. You may not percieve the difference in quality in these pictures, but I assure you, in person, there's a major difference in the feel of both interiors. The CRV is the same, it is a very quality interior compared to its competition. However, I have still not been in any of the Lambdas but the Acadia and Enclave interior look first rate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Even the Torrent is at least on par with the CRV

Posted Image

You're confusing design with quality. GM in the past had issues with both. Then their designs started falling in line and now finally, their quality is coming close to the competition.

Turbo, I live with a GMT900 Sierra every day, and I can attest to the fact everything fits, operates and feels first-rate to me. You're wrong.

I'm sorry, the Edge's interior is nowhere even close to the CRV's interior. It looks ok in photos but in person, it is the same old Ford - cheap, cheap, cheap.

Compare The Edge's interior to Ford's own Mazda CX9's interior. You may not percieve the difference in quality in these pictures, but I assure you, in person, there's a major difference in the feel of both interiors. The CRV is the same, it is a very quality interior compared to its competition. However, I have still not been in any of the Lambdas but the Acadia and Enclave interior look first rate.

Again, not going by switchgear quality and such, I felt the Edge's was comparable to the CRV's, both being pretty poor (I am talking door panels, dashes, other materials. Not switchgear and such; I'm sure the CRV's is better, but I didn't try it out.

Really, there is not much of anything in the compact class with a good interior, but I did feel others were slightly better than the CRV. The CRV's is certainly not worth $30k when it's loaded up. Maybe $20k for a base model is reasonable, but there are much better options for $30k, I feel.

And just FYI, my aunt loves/loved Hondas, and really thought she wanted a CRV when we went looking, but she was totally unimpressed with it, just as I was. She thought everything was rather cheap (again, I don't know what she thought of the switchgear, but she complained about the materials).