SPY SHOTS! 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

SPY SHOTS! 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Link to Original Article and More Photos @ Autoblog

Posted Image

The 2009 CTS-V will use the “LSA” motor. This is another new supercharged, small block V8. This new blown V8 will be good for at least 500hp.

A number of 515-525hp may even be possible, and even higher numbers have been rumored. The CTS-V will feature a supercharger integrated into the intake manifold. This is the same setup the upcoming Corvette SS / Blue Devil will have with its LS9 motor.

However, while the Corvette SS motor will be hand built at the Performance Build Center in Wixom, MI, the Cadillac’s LSA motor will be built in a conventional motor plant. Automatic and manual transmissions will be available, and an optional paddle shift feature is also anticipated. Production on the new CTS V-Series will start in September of 2008, and will be limited to about 7000 units annually. Internally, GM is referring to the car as “GMX322 V S/C.”

In the past, the current CTS-V has suffered from rear-end problems. Specifically, wheel hop. The 2009 CTS-V will feature a completely re-done rear end with a much better rear axle. Sources say this has eliminated the wheel hop issue altogether. The ‘09 will continue to utilize a massive set of brembo brakes up front and in back. While the wheels on this prototype are not production spec, the wider tires and larger exhaust pipes certainly are. Bob Lutz has been quoted saying the 2009 CTS-V “will be at a power level only described as unexpectedly high.”

Then referencing the current BMW M5, Lutz said the CTSV “will suck the doors off” the competition if the new M5 isn’t significantly better. After driving a prototype, Lutz said “flat-out incredible. I’ve never driven anything like that.”

Good to hear about the wheel hop issue. I can get the rear wheel hop in just the V6 if I'm on less than perfect pavement <i.e. all of western Pennsylvania> and that puts me into the traction control fairly quickly. I can't imagine what driving a CTS-V is like here at any speed above "brisk".

Good to hear about the wheel hop issue. I can get the rear wheel hop in just the V6 if I'm on less than perfect pavement <i.e. all of western Pennsylvania> and that puts me into the traction control fairly quickly. I can't imagine what driving a CTS-V is like here at any speed above "brisk".

likewise! although if the automatic with paddle shift rumors are true, then i might just have to go find out for myself.

Edited by jbartley

I"m psyched about the new GM cars. I just hope they don't forget the bottom end of the market too. They need some super kick butt tiny gas mileage cars to ensure they meet whatever new CAFE regs that come out. Hopefully the bring the Corsa over here pronto. But enough about that - bring on the HP too. I'm thinking in a couple of years I just may be ready to bite the bullet and drop some coin on one of these new rwd GM cars. (Zeta or Sigma)

Edited by gmcbob

Some BMW fan boys are claiming that the new M-5 will have close to 550hp. I think this will be lighter than the M-5. What is more important is the handling and if the V can kick some butt of the M-5.

you're proclaiming the this based on a car that won't be on the streets for 16-19 months? a little naive.

True, but you gotta let a guy dream :ohyeah: (but we'll see where the dust settles when both vehicles are on the road at the same time)

Crapmunds and C&D are quoting it to have the LS7. :nono:

They seem to be out of their mind. The car in the Nurnburgring Video, which we have seen here earlier, clearly had the whine of a Supercharger.

Crapmunds:

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Spy photos of the 2008 Cadillac CTS-V have been circulating for months, but these are the latest shots of Cadillac's upcoming super sedan.

The first time we caught spy photos and video of the 2008 Cadillac CTS-V, it was running the Nürburgring test track in Germany. It sounded as good as it looked and our best guess at the time was Z06 power under the hood.

Our prediction hasn't changed despite the obvious hood bulge on this prototype. Such bodywork is typically a telltale sign of a blower hiding beneath. Countless rumors have predicted various supercharged V8s, but we're sticking to our original call and predicting a normally aspirated 500-plus-horsepower LS7 under the hood.

Nothing else has changed on this prototype as far as we can tell. It has the same set of industrial-strength brake rotors up front along with a deep, wire mesh airdam. Equally aggressive bodywork wraps around the sides and dual exhaust pipes finish off the rear end.

The standard Cadillac CTS goes on sale this summer, so expect to see the 2008 Cadillac CTS-V at dealerships late this year.

What this means to you: This CTS-V will have the muscle to run with the big boys from Germany, but unless it gets a suspension to match it will remain a super sedan backmarker.

Their last statement as always shows their juvenile state of mind. FYI crapmunds, previous CTS-V did not have pussy suspensions.

Crapmunds and C&D are quoting it to have the LS7. :nono:

They seem to be out of their mind. The car in the Nurnburgring Video, which we have seen here earlier, clearly had the whine of a Supercharger.

Crapmunds:

Their last statement as always shows their juvenile state of mind. FYI crapmunds, previous CTS-V did not have pussy suspensions.

This car will most likely have the same engine as the $40,000+ Camaro Shelby killer [Z28?].

It was reported to be due to have 525-550 HP or what ever power deemed needed to beat the Shelby when it goes to market in 2010.

Was the wheel hop a full-throttle, standing-start occurance, or was it nearly constant?

I believe the suspension comment addresses the general handling prowess in all sorts of different scenarios, not just drag-racing starts. There, the case (from what I've read; haven't been lucky enough to get inside a CTS-V yet) is one for the CTS-V being completely competitive, no?

It is the handling they are talking about as Balthy pointed out not the drag.

Here are some points from Car and Driver

Whether tossed into the air over one of the track's numerous violent humps or crushed down to its bump stops through the pavement's high-speed compressions, the CTS-V remained secure and sure-footed. The car inspired tremendous confidence flying through the Ring's linked, blind bends, thanks to great grip and excellent handling balance.

Mild understeer is the car's basic mode, but as you approach the cornering limit and apply more power, you can drift the tail out with micrometer precision. This is true, classic power oversteer, not the lift-throttle, toe-out-induced variety.

Although the car's steering effort is on the light side, it builds naturally with speed and cornering force. Moreover, the mechanism is fluid enough that you can feel the effect of the tires' contact patches shifting as you fly through the track's many camber and pavement changes.

This chassis competence is critical because the CTS-V gains speed ferociously. Cadillac suggests a 0-to-60 time of 4.7 seconds, and the car felt entirely capable of that. When we test one, we expect a quarter-mile in the low 13s at close to 110 mph and a top speed in the low 160s, unless tire durability demands a governor in the 155-mph area.

Those figures should make the V-series quicker than a BMW M3 or M5. More important, John Heinricy, the director of GM's high-performance-vehicle operations and a successful racer for more than 20 years, says he's lapped the Nordschleife in 8 minutes and 19 seconds in the V-series—a better time than either M-car can turn.

For a roomy, well-equipped sedan that promises to keep up with the sportiest Germans, that's an amazing bargain.

No car without better handling can provide that time on the Nordschleife.

Here is another for the regular CTS.

The result is a Cadillac like no other, with a ride that is firm but not abrupt, and one that resists pitch and roll without neck-snapping stiffness. As a bonus, the car has steering that is linear and readable at any speed. It's all in the tuning, and the Nürburgring experience influenced pedal positions, brake operation, and even seat design in this new CTS.

My point is CTS chasis was never bad in the handling department infact it was among the better, it is edmunds who like to harp on tiniest things to make domestic manufacturers look like their engineering is inferior to the Germans.

Even the latest M5 has wheel hops. Look at the web, that is why they delayed the manual transmission and made stability control mandatory.