Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlbunting

STS-V and XLR-V Pricing!!! - MSRP

61 posts in this topic

XLR-V $100K MSRP STS-V $77K MSRP THis seems about right... not surprised.

That's pretty high-but its still cheaper than an M5, which is $86,000 I think.

Sweet, I made a headline and beat Josh. Cadillac STS-V $77,000.00 MSRP 4.4L V8 469hp XLR-V $100,00.00 MSRP 4.4L V8 443hp Mercedes Benz E55 AMG it starts at $82,575* AMG-built 5.5L 24-valve V-8 engine - 469 hp @ 6,100 rpm SL55 AMG $125,775* AMG-built supercharged 5.5L 24-valve V-8 engine - 493 hp @ 6,100 rpm BMW M5 MSRP $81,200 10 engine, with a five-liter capacity, 10 cylinders, 500-hp (SAE net) output, 383 lb-ft maximum torque, and engine speeds in excess of 8,000 rpm. Edited by jlbunting

$100K for the XLR-V? WOW!!! Granted its cheaper than a lot of its competitors but that is really steep. I dont believe they sell a lot of the XLRs to add that much more on top is a stretch. I would like a STS-V though. That price seems pretty good in comparison to the rest of the line which tops out in the mid 60s.

what happened to value pricing? I'm not saying these are overpriced, but the whole STS lines needs readjusting, and then this could go for 70k, a true performance bargain. As it is, I wouldn't buy it over a one or two year old E55 or M5 or RS6

Why should it be priced as a bargain? Why not have the STS be priced true to its worth?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107463

Cadillac Slaps $100,000 Tag on XLR-V
Date Posted 10-04-2005

DETROIT — Cadillac's new XLR-V, the performance variant of the hardtop roadster, will carry a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $100,000 when it arrives in showrooms later this year. The companion STS-V sedan will be priced at about $77,000.

The XLR-V is fitted with a supercharged, 4.4-liter version of General Motors' Northstar V8. The engine makes 440 horsepower and drives the rear wheels through a new six-speed automatic with manual-shift capability. Cadillac claims 0-to-60-mph acceleration in fewer than 5 seconds.

Also due this fall is the STS-V, which shares the supercharged, 4.4-liter unit and six-speed gearbox. Like the XLR-V, the high-performance sedan gets larger wheels and tires, along with the appropriate suspension modifications.

In a related move, GM announced that 49-year-old Bob Kruse will replace Mark Reuss, 42, as head of the company's performance division, which is responsible for development of the V-Series Cadillacs, among other goodies. Kruse retains his title as executive director of North America vehicle integration, while Reuss shifts to executive director of vehicle systems.

What this means to you: For about $25,000 less than the price of a Mercedes SL55 AMG, you can drive a 440-hp Cadillac roadster.

The prices look appropriate. Even now, Cadillac vehicles are still priced thousands below their direct competitors.

I dunno... I just don't like the XLR at all, never have. Never thought it was worth the money either. So, I can't get too excited about the XLR-V.

I am, however, a huge fan of the STS. The STS-V will be very nice to see on the road, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one badly.

that xlr-v better be almost as quick as the z06... with a hard top its impressive, i know it'll beat the SL55... but it needs to be quick, and probably needs some really nice features at 100k... STS, should be more around 70k... but still if it has plenty of features over the 45k sedan, it might be worth 77... hopefully these vehicles dont see the premiums that other vehicles have seen...

what happened to value pricing? I'm not saying these are overpriced, but the whole STS lines needs readjusting, and then this could go for 70k, a true performance bargain. As it is, I wouldn't buy it over a one or two year old E55 or M5 or RS6

[post="24339"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They should have priced at $99,999.99 How's that for value pricing? Edited by evok

The XLR-V pricing seems appropriate compared to the SL55, but I don't know about the STS-V... I'd definitely pay the extra $4K for the M5.

Is there such thing as value pricing on any $75,000 car? Do people with that much money to spend really care about saving a few thousand? They are going to get the better car, no matter the cost. If they were looking to save money they wouldnt buy a luxury car. Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Is there such thing as value pricing on any $75,000 car? Do people with that much money to spend really care about saving a few thousand? They are going to get the better car, no matter the cost. If they were looking to save money they wouldnt buy a luxury car.

[post="24431"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Bingo. The people bitching the most about the price are the people who aren't in the target market due to a severe lack of discretionary income.

I like the price. I believe the XLR is a worthy competitor for other cars in the $100-125 000 range. The STS, on the other hand, still needs a bit of work to be up there, but hopefully the V addresses those issues that can be solved before a major redesign.

On a related note, that Edmunds article is wrong. Neither has been rated at 440 hp for quite some time.

They should have priced at $99,999.99  How's that for value pricing?

[post="24386"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'll take $77k :(

:P

:D http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

evok, how does it compare with the new M5? They are targeted at slightly different markets, with the M5 being a little bit more for the enthusiasts and the STSv going after the E55 more; but how does it compare? Drive-wise, power-wise, design-wise? The interior of it most likely won't match up, I like the 5s design better and the materials are obviously much better...

When I said value pricing I was really talking about the whole STS line; when comparing it with the competition it doesn't always measure up. So maybe there needs to be some readjusting. But as long as deep discounts are avoided and sales are marching steadily, then there should be no reason for readjustments. Edited by turbo200

When buying a luxury car, isn't it better to be priced a little higher? I would think that if someone had the money to buy a car that expensive, they wouldn't want to cheese out and get the car that's 20 grand less. When buying a car like that, it's all about image. And if you're rolling in a high priced luxury vehicle, you're the shit. They don't want to be know as bargain hunters. Then again, I could be wrong since I'm not in that position.

I don't think it really matters. They're only going to make 300-400 XLR-Vs anyways (10% of total production is the V Series) so they'll find that many buyers at $100k I'm guessing. I'm sure lots of regular XLR owners are looking to move up anyways. As for the STS-V, I would have liked $72.5k, but again I don't think it really matters. The interior is upgraded with the 100% leather center console (from the same supplier that Maybach gets their leather), and I think the top of the dash is leather too, so the interior gripes the regular one gets should be non-existant.

Yeah... as Northstar stated, we've seen the upgraded interior for the STS-v. The quality problems have been addressed. The STS-v interior is awesome.

Doesn't add up too well for me. I can get the V treatment on an STS for an additional $15k, but it is going to cost me an additional $24k for the XLR. Oh, well I would take a base XLR and an STS-V. I guess it is close to the markup from a base vette to a Z06.

This pricing is too high. GM continues to act like Cadillac has a great reputation for superior cars and can justify these prices. Do they think they are better than Lexus or Inifinti? What are they drinking? Can someone point to a comparison review where the STS beat anything new from Germany or Japan? With the STS non-V being so average (actually below average), we cannot expect a magical transformation on the STS-v. Same goes for the XLR. The STS non-V is $10K too much and now the STS-V is $10K too much. The XLR is in crazy territory for no good reason other than the perceived competition is up there. Does the XLR have the history of the SL class? No way. Does crap like this matter to snobby rich people? Yes. The CTS-v was very price competitive when it came out. It was inferior to its competition in many ways (crude and cheap), but at least it was a lot less than the competition. Now it's clear GM wants to make the V series extremely exclusive (that can be good) and taylor to only GM die-hards (bad). GM continues to baffle and disappoint me in so many ways. Mark

This pricing is too high.  GM continues to act like Cadillac has a great reputation for superior cars and can justify these prices.  Do they think they are better than Lexus or Inifinti?  What are they drinking?  Can someone point to a comparison review where the STS beat anything new from Germany or Japan? 

With the STS non-V being so average (actually below average), we cannot expect a magical transformation on the STS-v.  Same goes for the XLR. 

The STS non-V is $10K too much and now the STS-V is $10K too much.  The XLR is in crazy territory for no good reason other than the perceived competition is up there. Does the XLR have the history of the SL class?  No way.  Does crap like this matter to snobby rich people? Yes. 

The CTS-v was very price competitive when it came out.  It was inferior to its competition in many ways (crude and cheap), but at least it was a lot less than the competition.  Now it's clear GM wants to make the V series extremely exclusive (that can be good) and taylor to only GM die-hards (bad). 

GM continues to baffle and disappoint me in so many ways. 

Mark

[post="24478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I pretty much agree. While the CTS-V was crude, it had more power and more size than its similarly priced competitors. The STS-V, on the other hand, is going up against faster, more powerful cars from manufacturers with more experience in the segment. I guess the novelty of it being a fast, expensive STS will be enough to meet its sales target. I don't expect the press to love it as much as the CTS-V, though, and I can see why.

It's important for us to understand what the STS' greatest weaknesses are in the first place. If we go by the comparison test MT first did of a fully loaded (meaning the best suspension offerings and drivetrain choice) STS versus the 5-series, we will see that the STS weak points are few but prevalent. High on that list is a weak interior that pales next to literally all the competition. This segment has set the bar so far, an M45's interior is now nicer than a current S-Class [on it's way out too]. The M's interior is brilliant; so is the A6 and so are a few others in this class. It is not time for GM to bargain their way out, this is Cadillac, it should not be low-rent. Design and materials are still behind in the STS, and even with an all-leather interior, this doesn't mean the overall "okay" design and lackluster materials will disappear. One of my bigger complaints with the interior is the quality of the controls used. They just aren't up to par, and won't be, because the new leather won't affect them. The other weakness addressed in that article is the pricing structure. This, of course, is no longer relevant since we are talking about a high performance model that is a league above in terms of pricing. The STS' biggest positive points are its suspension and engine; expect those only to be significantly better in this iteration. And I wouldn't be surprised at all, in fact I am expecting the STS to get a low 4-second 0-60 time for bragging rights. The regular STS goes as fast as 0-60 in 5.9, so a second and a half shouldn't be that hard for a car with 149 more hp. The only reason I think the STS doesn't compete so well in this class is because of the interior and exterior. The exterior will get some work with the V-series, so that should be alleviated. The interior will be another thing. I don't see too many Vs already though, and I don't think this one will be enough to convince all the AMGers to change over [and there are a lot of those].

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0