Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flybrian

4-door accounts for 82% of total Wrangler production

89 posts in this topic

Four-Door Wrangler Sizzles
SUV accounts for 82% of Ohio plant's output
Posted Image
By BRADFOR WERLNE | Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek | Published 07/16/07, 10:32 am et

TOLEDO, Ohio -- The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited four-door has gone from hot to hotter.

The Chrysler group's Toledo Supplier Park is cranking out 600 vehicles per day. Of those, 82 percent are four-door Unlimiteds and 18 percent are two-door units.

Earlier Chrysler reported the mix was about 60 percent four-door and 40 percent two-door. The four-door Wrangler is available in hard- and soft-top versions.

"Demand for the hardtop four-door is much higher than we expected," said Cynthia Sidoti, Toledo Supplier Park plant manager.

The 2007 four-door Wrangler began arriving in dealerships last September.

In June, Jeep sold 10,952 Wranglers, the best June results ever for the Wrangler, according to Darryl Jackson, Chrysler vice president of U.S. sales.

Dealers say they've had a difficult time getting the top-of-the-line Rubicon version of the Wrangler, which is trail-ready and has Chrysler's MyGIG entertainment and information system that includes navigation.

"The market is overwhelming," Sidoti said. For 2008, the MyGIG system will be available without the navigation.

The Toledo Supplier Park is closed this week for model changeover. Workers will return July 23 and begin building 2008 models.

One change that dealers will notice immediately is a new Wrangler color. It's Detonator Yellow, which is fitting for one of Jeep's most explosive-selling vehicles.

No surprise, I've seen tons of Wrangler Unlimiteds and very few 2-doors. This is a no-brainer for Chrysler...the answer for the demand is obvious: You build a 4-door, more practical version of the purest Jeep there is, and on a new platform that makes it easier to live with everyday, and you have a hit.

No surprise, I've seen tons of Wrangler Unlimiteds and very few 2-doors. This is a no-brainer for Chrysler...the answer for the demand is obvious: You build a 4-door, more practical version of the purest Jeep there is, and on a new platform that makes it easier to live with everyday, and you have a hit.

Yes...what amazes me is that it took decades to build it.

Everytime I see one, I always think "That is f@#king cool." Its the coolest vehicle Chrysler has put out in a LONG time.

Not surprising... I just got back from vacation in the Outer Banks. Saw lots of Wranglers down there, and almost all of the new bodystyle were four-doors.

Time to be the lone voice in the wilderness again: I think that the 4-door looks goofy.

Yuck!

Time to be the lone voice in the wilderness again: I think that the 4-door looks goofy.

Yuck!

:yes:

You guys see a four-door Wrangler and see an awesome, great new product worthy of praise.

Granted, that is true, but instead I see another SUV that has had the life and fun drained right out of it with the forced growth and girth of two extra doors. Three door SUVs are all but dead and no one wants to make one anymore. The Wrangler was the only SUV left on the market that stuck to a fun-and-affordable and not-for-everyone formula. Where are the two-door full-size Blazers? Can someone explain why the Cherokee couldn't keep a two-door model when it died and became the Liberty? GM teased us with basically a two-door VUE with the PreVue concept. Why can't I buy one should I choose to do so someday? Why does a Porsche Cayenne have to have four-doors? It's an extremely sporty SUV, so why does practicality have to play a role?

The coupe market is making a comeback. Obviously four-doors aren't for everyone, so why can't a two-door SUV make a comeback in the future and why do they have to wither and die?

Edited by YellowJacket894

Yuck!

I agree, sorta. The 4-door does look goofy, so did the last Wrangler Unlimited, with the stretch that didn't increase rear seat room at all. I love the idea of a 4-door Wrangler, I really do, but the new Unlinited has an awkward look to it that I didn't notice at first, or even when they started hitting the streets. It wasn't until I saw one on the road with a previous gen Wrangler right behind. The 2-door soft top is what a Wrangler is, and adding two doors, or extra length, while a logical move, just makes it look strange. The execution on the Jeep Dakar concept was much better, it looked like a 4-door Wrangler that was designed to be a 4-door Wrangler, the one on the streets doesn't.

I noticed no talk of MPG. If this was an H3 article, we would have had a debate over MPG and how the American pigs love poor MPG (The Jeep gets 17/19 for a 4x4). Jeep gets a pass, while HUMMER is the evil of all evils. Strange.

Yuck!

Almost everyone I know says the same thing.

But I have to say I like 'em and as a matter

fact back in 1996 & 1997 when I was in High

school I drew more than one 4dr Wrangler

with a fixed roof.

The demand was always there, funny it took

them six decades to realise it!

You guys see a four-door Wrangler and see an awesome, great new product worthy of praise.

Granted, that is true, but instead I see another SUV that has had the life and fun drained right out of it with the forced growth and girth of two extra doors. Three door SUVs are all but dead and no one wants to make one anymore. The Wrangler was the only SUV left on the market that stuck to a fun-and-affordable and not-for-everyone formula. Where are the two-door full-size Blazers? Can someone explain why the Cherokee couldn't keep a two-door model when it died and became the Liberty? GM teased us with basically a two-door VUE with the PreVue concept. Why can't I buy one should I choose to do so someday? Why does a Porsche Cayenne have to have four-doors? It's an extremely sporty SUV, so why does practicality have to play a role?

The coupe market is making a comeback. Obviously four-doors aren't for everyone, so why can't a two-door SUV make a comeback in the future and why do they have to wither and die?

Heck yeah, 2dr tahoe anyone?

Agreed!

Variety is the spice of life & choice is a neccessary element in free will...

Why no two door Cadillac STS?

Why no two door Park Ave? Those swoopy lines would have looked great!

Why did we not get a 2dr B-body from 1991-1996? <_<

>>"Yes...what amazes me is that it took decades to build it."<<

Ain't hindsight grand?

Didn't Jeep have a Cherokee or Wagoneer or some other 4-dr for those wanting a 4-dr Jeep back into the '60s? What- every model offered by any manufacturer should be a 4-dr at least? Should the next Camaro also come as a 4-dr for those that want "4-dr practicality" with their sports car? Why aren't 3-row SUVs offered w/ 6-doors? I don't get all this 4-dr fever- it will always signify 'family truckster' to me. Just wait- the 'business case' for the 2-dr Wrangler is fading with lightning speed.

Dude, don't forget you can still get a 2-door Wrangler if you choose to own one. :P

Posted Image

If you wanna complain about lack of a 2-door vehicle in a lineup, you should got have a chat with Hummer.

Oh yeah...would you even want a Cayenne even if it's 2-doors? It's hideous after all!

I agree, sorta. The 4-door does look goofy, so did the last Wrangler Unlimited, with the stretch that didn't increase rear seat room at all. I love the idea of a 4-door Wrangler, I really do, but the new Unlinited has an awkward look to it that I didn't notice at first, or even when they started hitting the streets. It wasn't until I saw one on the road with a previous gen Wrangler right behind. The 2-door soft top is what a Wrangler is, and adding two doors, or extra length, while a logical move, just makes it look strange. The execution on the Jeep Dakar concept was much better, it looked like a 4-door Wrangler that was designed to be a 4-door Wrangler, the one on the streets doesn't.

I really like the proportions, but to each his own. I love the way both of them look. ^_^

On a final note, I'd much rather see this 4-door Wrangler than a Compass...I think even the people who don't like Unlimited can agree to that.

Edited by Dodgefan

I want one...badly.

Chris

I agree, but for Chrysler's sake, it was a great idea that took them far too long to execute.

I agree, but for Chrysler's sake, it was a great idea that took them far too long to execute.

True enough, but I'm just so bloody sick of everything 4-door.

I do like that pickup concept they did recently.

When the hell is GM going to wake up and build a 'vette like this?? It's a great idea!

Posted Image