Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

4-door accounts for 82% of total Wrangler production

Four-Door Wrangler Sizzles
SUV accounts for 82% of Ohio plant's output
Posted Image
By BRADFOR WERLNE | Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek | Published 07/16/07, 10:32 am et

TOLEDO, Ohio -- The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited four-door has gone from hot to hotter.

The Chrysler group's Toledo Supplier Park is cranking out 600 vehicles per day. Of those, 82 percent are four-door Unlimiteds and 18 percent are two-door units.

Earlier Chrysler reported the mix was about 60 percent four-door and 40 percent two-door. The four-door Wrangler is available in hard- and soft-top versions.

"Demand for the hardtop four-door is much higher than we expected," said Cynthia Sidoti, Toledo Supplier Park plant manager.

The 2007 four-door Wrangler began arriving in dealerships last September.

In June, Jeep sold 10,952 Wranglers, the best June results ever for the Wrangler, according to Darryl Jackson, Chrysler vice president of U.S. sales.

Dealers say they've had a difficult time getting the top-of-the-line Rubicon version of the Wrangler, which is trail-ready and has Chrysler's MyGIG entertainment and information system that includes navigation.

"The market is overwhelming," Sidoti said. For 2008, the MyGIG system will be available without the navigation.

The Toledo Supplier Park is closed this week for model changeover. Workers will return July 23 and begin building 2008 models.

One change that dealers will notice immediately is a new Wrangler color. It's Detonator Yellow, which is fitting for one of Jeep's most explosive-selling vehicles.

No surprise, I've seen tons of Wrangler Unlimiteds and very few 2-doors. This is a no-brainer for Chrysler...the answer for the demand is obvious: You build a 4-door, more practical version of the purest Jeep there is, and on a new platform that makes it easier to live with everyday, and you have a hit.

No surprise, I've seen tons of Wrangler Unlimiteds and very few 2-doors. This is a no-brainer for Chrysler...the answer for the demand is obvious: You build a 4-door, more practical version of the purest Jeep there is, and on a new platform that makes it easier to live with everyday, and you have a hit.

Yes...what amazes me is that it took decades to build it.

Guest YellowJacket894

You guys see a four-door Wrangler and see an awesome, great new product worthy of praise.

Granted, that is true, but instead I see another SUV that has had the life and fun drained right out of it with the forced growth and girth of two extra doors. Three door SUVs are all but dead and no one wants to make one anymore. The Wrangler was the only SUV left on the market that stuck to a fun-and-affordable and not-for-everyone formula. Where are the two-door full-size Blazers? Can someone explain why the Cherokee couldn't keep a two-door model when it died and became the Liberty? GM teased us with basically a two-door VUE with the PreVue concept. Why can't I buy one should I choose to do so someday? Why does a Porsche Cayenne have to have four-doors? It's an extremely sporty SUV, so why does practicality have to play a role?

The coupe market is making a comeback. Obviously four-doors aren't for everyone, so why can't a two-door SUV make a comeback in the future and why do they have to wither and die?

Edited by YellowJacket894

Time to be the lone voice in the wilderness again: I think that the 4-door looks goofy.

Yuck!

I agree, sorta. The 4-door does look goofy, so did the last Wrangler Unlimited, with the stretch that didn't increase rear seat room at all. I love the idea of a 4-door Wrangler, I really do, but the new Unlinited has an awkward look to it that I didn't notice at first, or even when they started hitting the streets. It wasn't until I saw one on the road with a previous gen Wrangler right behind. The 2-door soft top is what a Wrangler is, and adding two doors, or extra length, while a logical move, just makes it look strange. The execution on the Jeep Dakar concept was much better, it looked like a 4-door Wrangler that was designed to be a 4-door Wrangler, the one on the streets doesn't.

Time to be the lone voice in the wilderness again: I think that the 4-door looks goofy.

Yuck!

Almost everyone I know says the same thing.

But I have to say I like 'em and as a matter

fact back in 1996 & 1997 when I was in High

school I drew more than one 4dr Wrangler

with a fixed roof.

The demand was always there, funny it took

them six decades to realise it!

You guys see a four-door Wrangler and see an awesome, great new product worthy of praise.

Granted, that is true, but instead I see another SUV that has had the life and fun drained right out of it with the forced growth and girth of two extra doors. Three door SUVs are all but dead and no one wants to make one anymore. The Wrangler was the only SUV left on the market that stuck to a fun-and-affordable and not-for-everyone formula. Where are the two-door full-size Blazers? Can someone explain why the Cherokee couldn't keep a two-door model when it died and became the Liberty? GM teased us with basically a two-door VUE with the PreVue concept. Why can't I buy one should I choose to do so someday? Why does a Porsche Cayenne have to have four-doors? It's an extremely sporty SUV, so why does practicality have to play a role?

The coupe market is making a comeback. Obviously four-doors aren't for everyone, so why can't a two-door SUV make a comeback in the future and why do they have to wither and die?

Heck yeah, 2dr tahoe anyone?

Agreed!

Variety is the spice of life & choice is a neccessary element in free will...

Why no two door Cadillac STS?

Why no two door Park Ave? Those swoopy lines would have looked great!

Why did we not get a 2dr B-body from 1991-1996? <_<

>>"Yes...what amazes me is that it took decades to build it."<<

Ain't hindsight grand?

Didn't Jeep have a Cherokee or Wagoneer or some other 4-dr for those wanting a 4-dr Jeep back into the '60s? What- every model offered by any manufacturer should be a 4-dr at least? Should the next Camaro also come as a 4-dr for those that want "4-dr practicality" with their sports car? Why aren't 3-row SUVs offered w/ 6-doors? I don't get all this 4-dr fever- it will always signify 'family truckster' to me. Just wait- the 'business case' for the 2-dr Wrangler is fading with lightning speed.

Dude, don't forget you can still get a 2-door Wrangler if you choose to own one. :P

Posted Image

If you wanna complain about lack of a 2-door vehicle in a lineup, you should got have a chat with Hummer.

Oh yeah...would you even want a Cayenne even if it's 2-doors? It's hideous after all!

I agree, sorta. The 4-door does look goofy, so did the last Wrangler Unlimited, with the stretch that didn't increase rear seat room at all. I love the idea of a 4-door Wrangler, I really do, but the new Unlinited has an awkward look to it that I didn't notice at first, or even when they started hitting the streets. It wasn't until I saw one on the road with a previous gen Wrangler right behind. The 2-door soft top is what a Wrangler is, and adding two doors, or extra length, while a logical move, just makes it look strange. The execution on the Jeep Dakar concept was much better, it looked like a 4-door Wrangler that was designed to be a 4-door Wrangler, the one on the streets doesn't.

I really like the proportions, but to each his own. I love the way both of them look. ^_^

On a final note, I'd much rather see this 4-door Wrangler than a Compass...I think even the people who don't like Unlimited can agree to that.

Edited by Dodgefan

I agree, but for Chrysler's sake, it was a great idea that took them far too long to execute.

Watch it...you're treading on thin ice there balthy!

I'm in full agreement with YJ - I'll never have a 4dr SUV titled in my name ever.

Yeah, the market for 2dr SUVs has pretty much died out. I used to have a Bronco II and my mom had an Explorer Sport..they were ok, but I much prefer the 4drs of my Grand Cherokee... 4drs are just more practical for loading and unloading passengers and stuff from the back seat.

I'm liking the new Wrangler alot.. it's amazing how different the base model looks from the Rubicon, primarily due to difference in tire size.

Edited by moltar

wasnt there somekind of vehicle report that said 2dr s-10 blazers were one of the worst cars to have a wreck in, had a higher rate of fatalities per crash. thought i saw that on yahoo a few years back. Anyone else see that?

Yeah...I wonder if that was due more to driver demographics (younger, more reckless drivers than the 4drs) than structural inadequacies..though based on what I've seen of crash test videos, the S-10 Blazers were as crummy as the Astro or Chinese cars..

Right.... that's why Blazers were completely banned in the U.S.; couldn't pass U.S. crash standards. Oh... waitaminnit....

Perhaps if the NHTSA test standards were brought up to date, mimicking the more accurate IIHS's tests...

Posted Image

You would have to be insane to ride in one after seeing that. Same for these, for that matter:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Perhaps if the NHTSA test standards were brought up to date, mimicking the more accurate IIHS's tests...

You would have to be insane to ride in one after seeing that. Same for these, for that matter:

Yes...I'm amazed GM got away with selling such carbage...

Back to the 2dr vs. 4dr.

I for one think that we SHOULD have the ability to buy a 2dr Blazer/Tahoe

but I think that the market is very small. People tell me the market for a

manual trans. in certain vehicles is very small but I would still like to have

a Silverado with a 6-sp manual or an SRX with a stick.

I was absolutely thrilled that GM grew some brains & balls and made the

Z06 Corvette & V-series CTS 6-speed manual ONLY.

Variety, choice is always a good thing! In the case of the Z06 and CTS-V

it was almost like payback to all those lazy, boring fuddy-duddies who

bitch and moan about manuals & collectevely rob us of 5/6 speeds in most

of todays vehicles.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Back to the 2dr vs. 4dr.

I was absolutely thrilled that GM gre some brains & balls and made the

Variety, choice is always a good thing!

:yes:

Too many 4-doors and too many automatics that exclude 2-doors and manuals.

Back to the 2dr vs. 4dr.

I was absolutely thrilled that GM grew some brains & balls and made the

Variety, choice is always a good thing!

??????

I was gonna point that contradiction out too.

If you want an automatic in a Z06 or CTS0-V you're a looser or an idiot!

Buy a CTS 3.6 or regular C6 or go home!!!!

Now if you want to save fuel & have a fun to drive car/truck but you can

not get a manual that's NOT FAIR. It's agrevating when GM reps. say

"trust me manuals do not sell...." <_<

Well lets' see.... I hate Honda but they sell plenty of manuals that compete

with GM cars which are automatic only. but GM is tooo f**king stupid to

admit that they loose sales because of this.

Geet a clue GM, consumers WANT what they WANT, you can;t TELL them

what they want, that's a sure fire way to make them into lifelong Toyo-DUR

customers.

Speaking of which my buddy Robin has a Toyota 4-Runner he bought

because NONE of the big-three offered anthing close.

He has a 5-speed and big 4-banger, get's good fuel economy out of a BOF

truck and the manual extracts enough power out of the four cylinder to

do most anythign but tow.

but Gm will tell you in their infinite wisdom that a manual would NOT sell

in a TrailBlazer or Tahoe.

:angry: x 666

Once more, though, it's hypocrisy to say that we should have the choice of a manual but not the choice of an automatic. I'd go for a manual in those type of cars, but "variety is the spice of life."

GM and all automakers should offer manual or automatic transmissions in all of their vehicles and engine choices/trim levels.

There is no vehicle EVER that has ever been produced in the history of the world that

would NOT make sense in a MANUAL trans. But there are plenty of cars/trucks that

could be manual ONLY, since the demographic is going to demand it. The C6 Corvette

Z06 & Cadillac CTS-V are perfect examples.

I guess offering an auto in these cars would not kill anyone but it would be an insult to

the purity of their race bred design, and besides like I said, who the hell will buy them?

There is no vehicle EVER that has ever been produced in the history of the world that

would NOT make sense in a MANUAL trans. But there are plenty of cars/trucks that

could be manual ONLY, since the demographic is going to demand it. The C6 Corvette

I guess offering an auto in these cars would not kill anyone but it would be an insult to

the purity of their race bred design, and besides like I said, who the hell will buy them?

People, with disposable income, who want to go fast without manually shifting every 1.75 seconds.

And people who don't know how to drive stick, and don't want to ruin the clutch on a new $50,000+ car.

People, with disposable income, who want to go fast without manually shifting every 1.75 seconds.

And people who don't know how to drive stick, and don't want to ruin the clutch on a new $50,000+ car.

And people who have to deal with heavy traffic every day... I could definitely see a paddle-shift or full automatic version of the CTS-v being viable...

I love manual transmissions, but can certainly understand the preference for an automatic when sitting in traffic in the daily grind. Sticks are great for the weekend fun drive in the mountains, but in the daily grind..ugh.

Edited by moltar

When the hell is GM going to wake up and build a 'vette like this?? It's a great idea!

Posted Image

:pokeowned: Umm, that is what Porsche is doing with their 911 and they are going to be in Bonnie Rubble. :AH-HA_wink:

If you want an automatic in a Z06 or CTS0-V you're a looser or an idiot!

Buy a CTS 3.6 or regular C6 or go home!!!!

Now if you want to save fuel & have a fun to drive car/truck but you can

not get a manual that's NOT FAIR. It's agrevating when GM reps. say

"trust me manuals do not sell...." <_<

Well lets' see.... I hate Honda but they sell plenty of manuals that compete

with GM cars which are automatic only. but GM is tooo f**king stupid to

admit that they loose sales because of this.

Geet a clue GM, consumers WANT what they WANT, you can;t TELL them

what they want, that's a sure fire way to make them into lifelong Toyo-DUR

customers.

Speaking of which my buddy Robin has a Toyota 4-Runner he bought

because NONE of the big-three offered anthing close.

He has a 5-speed and big 4-banger, get's good fuel economy out of a BOF

truck and the manual extracts enough power out of the four cylinder to

do most anythign but tow.

but Gm will tell you in their infinite wisdom that a manual would NOT sell

in a TrailBlazer or Tahoe.

:angry: x 666

68 of yore. Absolutely right my friend. GM should not tell me what to buy. If anybody has read Peter Drucker, one of the pioneers of modern management, he clearly says, a corporation should cater its customers, not the other way around.

I hate it when GM says, ohh manuals account for "only" 5% sales, ohh bluetooth accounts for only 0.1% of sales, ohhh 17" wheels apply for only 0.001% sales, etc..... But when you start adding these numbers they will account for about 10% of your sales and now you see GM, where are you loosing part of your sales?

One of my ire was no manual on GMT 900's. WTF? Look on autotrader and you will see how many used manual GMT 800's are for sale. It means there is a small market if so ever for them. Another thing I did not understand was that GM did not offer manual transmissions for top line trims. What is it? Does that mean if I drive manual transmission, then I am a blue-collared redneck who should not get these luxuries?

While &#036;h&#33;-sans, Toys offer SIX speed manual transmissions for their V-6 little trucks, GM goes two step back (one was offering 5-speed Manual on the 3.5l, second was removing the 5-speed manual from the 3.7l). These may sound trifling, but they are enough to justify losing the sales.

The reason why I bought my CPO 6-speed TSX was that I wanted luxury, fuel economy, thrilling car to drive, all in one. None of GM offers six speed in 20-30k Range, which even a hardcore GM fanatic will go to. The mistake they did was not offering 6-speed manual as well as automatics even in the GXP or RL versions of the Kappas. That is just lack of imaginations. Every time I feel GM is getting there, there is one or two small things which look like lack of total imaginations which stop the cars from being great.

Once more, though, it's hypocrisy to say that we should have the choice of a manual but not the choice of an automatic. I'd go for a manual in those type of cars, but "variety is the spice of life."

GM and all automakers should offer manual or automatic transmissions in all of their vehicles and engine choices/trim levels.

Good one DF

Again I am totally with 68 here. If someone wants those cars in automatics, then those people need not buy machines like Z06 or CTS-v. I liked the fact that EVO and STI did not offer automatics, but it seems like they will be drifting in that zone too. Go and buy the slushboxes from MB-AMG if you want that. That is one reason why I will always feel MB will not be able to compete 3-er, because they just will not bring the manual transmissions in their competition oriented vehicles.

Then they should not get those cars.

People really don't buy manuals in these cars you people think they will. The take rate is actually very, very, very low in the midsize car and SUV market. Shoulda, coulda, woulda means nothing because - again - no one buys them. GM offered 5-speed in variety of W-body cars in the early 90s, virtually every single W-body except the Regal and they, too, had a very low rate. Accords and Camries are rarely sold with sticks. Even most Altimas and 6s are probably automatics.

I also completely have no understanding, 68, behind your rationale that the CTS-V and Z06 should be stick only? Why? Aren't you making an argument for choice by saying manuals should be offered in more cars? Then, why restrict choice for automatics? Nonsensical.