First Impressions...08 Malibu

RJB

It seems that the automotive press from what little they have experienced so far with the Malibu like it very much, but you can read that for yourself below...

FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF THE 2008 CHEVROLET MALIBU

An estimated 20 members of the media — including car enthusiast and business writers, fashion experts, and an

international cast of journalists — had an opportunity to experience the new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu for

themselves last week, at the Milford Proving Grounds in Milford, Mich. Those driving impressions won’t be

appearing in print until at least Nov. 2, but here’s a sneak peek at their thoughts:

“This reinvents the value equation.” — Warren Brown, “The Washington Post”

“Except for Corvette, this is the best Chevy ever made.” — Gary Witzenburg, “Edmunds”

The Malibu has better engine character and NVH than the Camry.”— Eddie Alterman, “Motive”

“Best four cylinder Detroit has ever done … sounds solid and I don’t hear that raspy induction anymore.” — Paul

Eistenstein, “TheCarConnection.com”

“Outstanding fit and finish … and better on the bumps than

Camry.” — Joe DeMatio, “Automobile”

The Malibu is more composed than the Camry … the

steering stays where you want it and needs less

correction.” — Bob Gritzinger, “Autoweek”

“I love this car … the red one is mine!” — Dani Stahl, “Nylon

Magazine”

The 2008 Chevrolet Malibu is slated to appear in

showrooms in November.

GM

Edited by RJB

If what these journalists are saying is true, alot of people are going to need grief counseling immediately.

There is no way a domestic product could ever be better than a cheap-two-link-suspension-parrot-beak-melted-dove-bar designed non-union-injure-the-workers-and-who-cares-about-this-country-ill-buy-what-I-want-import.

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin.

Say what you want about prior products, journalists have never gushed to this extent for an everyday Chevrolet.

Especially anyone from Edmunds.

It looks like Chevrolet may very well have a winner.

If what these journalists are saying is true, alot of people are going to need grief counseling immediately.

There is no way a domestic product could ever be better than a cheap-two-link-suspension-parrot-beak-melted-dove-bar designed non-union-injure-the-workers-and-who-cares-about-this-country-ill-buy-what-I-want-import.

Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin.

Say what you want about prior products, journalists have never gushed to this extent for an everyday Chevrolet.

Especially anyone from Edmunds.

It looks like Chevrolet may very well have a winner.

it sure would be a shock to the world for gm to actually have a car that sored up in sales...

wonder how much a winning chevy is capable of selling...

and if gm is capable of filling a big seller...

honnestly GM hasnt had a single vehicle sell over 300k in a long time without considering the truck platforms...

hrmmm...

wonder how much business those magazines can bring... just by saying something like better then camry, or best chevy ever... how many old gm fans will drop their pants and go get one?

and if a new wave of customers is to come with such a hit, how long will it take for gm to revitalize all their vehicles with the same enthusiasm?

$100 million dollars in advertising is quite a commitment for this car alone, don't forget that. But they are on the path of revitalizing their cars quicker. You have to realize this whole global unification takes time. There were a lot of pieces to the overall GM puzzle that did not fit together for a long time. So as soon as the whole global process is in order I think GM will be set to have cars coming out quicker and MCE improvements will come quicker too.

This is GREAT news! Now if they can only fix that ass on that car.....LOL

If the car is supposed to hit showrooms IN November, why is the embargo date on driving impressions 11-2-07?

I would expect we'd start seeing driving impressions NOW....a couple of months ahead of introduction.....you know....help shore up public interest! What's GM doing?

“I love this car … the red one is mine!” — Dani Stahl, “Nylon

Magazine”

WTH is Nylon Magazine doing at a driving impression event?

A quick search for car on their website brought up article headlines that have nothing to do w/ cars. A search for Camry, Malibu, and automobile all returned no results.

WTH is Nylon Magazine doing at a driving impression event?

A quick search for car on their website brought up article headlines that have nothing to do w/ cars. A search for Camry, Malibu, and automobile all returned no results.

Uh oh, GM spent all that money on fake positive reviews!

It's going to take a few generations of top notch Malibus before the public starts buying them in numbers.

That's what I think. As good as the new 'Bu may be, it's not going to drastically change the marketplace in just a few years. It won't change the marketplace period, over multiple generations, if GM doesn't continually update and market it. Do not let it grow stale on the vine, GM.

I'm in Cali right now and the never ending procession of imports of the roads is daunting. I don't think that someone in South Orange County or Walnut Creek will proclaim loudly that they want a 'Bu over the Camry.

I wish them well. They need a good staple car. You don't like the ass...I don't like the C-pillar. Lately, a lot of rental cars I've had have visibility issues when turning lanes. Not fun.

And yet, aside from the rear of this car which is unappealing to me at best so far, I wouldn't ever get one.

Why?

I'm that vocal minority that calls for a stick shift. Know who does offer one? Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Nissan, Pontiac (although only on GT Sport models of G6), Ford, and Mercury.

And yet, aside from the rear of this car which is unappealing to me at best so far, I wouldn't ever get one.

Why?

I'm that vocal minority that calls for a stick shift. Know who does offer one? Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Nissan, Pontiac (although only on GT Sport models of G6), Ford, and Mercury.

Sure they all offer a stick on the 4 cylinder but who offers one on the V6? My guess is only Nissan and VW.

If the car is supposed to hit showrooms IN November, why is the embargo date on driving impressions 11-2-07?

I would expect we'd start seeing driving impressions NOW....a couple of months ahead of introduction.....you know....help shore up public interest! What's GM doing?

The rear isn't as bad in person, IMO. It could still use some work, though. I don't think that's going to make or break many deals in this segment, anyways.

GM did the same thing with the Enclave. The Enclave was on sale before any reviews every came out (I think Autoweek tested a dealer's Enclave so they could write a review before the embargo) as well. For some reason I guess GM thinks it should have the vehicles out there when the reviews start. That way, if someone comes in to check one out and possibly buy it, there are examples sitting on the lot. It would probably be a bit of a let down if they went there and were told to wait another month.

BTW, if "this is the best Chevy ever made" (besides the Corvette) is supposed to include the T900s, that's really saying something.

That comment from the Edmunds journalist is very telling. This makes me even more excited for what I already thought was an outstanding car.

I don't know the others but I know Gary from Edmunds and he is as much a dyed in the wool GM fan as we are.

He has written many GM approved books including the new book on the Solstice. He even is a Solstice owner.

I like hearing postive reviews and hope most of these are accurate as I like the car and hope it sells well.

FYI Garys wife also is a writer and has also worked for GM in the past too.

Garys a great writer and car nut. He also wrote the GM approved book on the Fiero in the 80's.

I'm still concerned about the interior. It's too narrow, the materials/build quality is questionable (especially the upholstery), and the rear seating position is awkward. It doesn't feel large inside, even if it looks long.

It's not too different from the AURA, which isn't doing too well, so hopefully brand recognition and marketing will make all the difference.

Edited by empowah

I'm interested to see what CR will say about the Malibu.

Ratings Snapshot

2007 Saturn Aura XR V6

Other Trims Tested

▪ XE V6

Consumer Reports Overview

Highs: Controls, acceleration, transmission.

Lows: Low rear seat, low shoulder-belt anchor, turning circle, trunk, stiff ride, torque steer.

The Aura uses the same platform as the Pontiac G6. The XE model has a coarse 3.5-liter V6 paired with a four-speed automatic. A smoother, stronger 252-hp, 3.6-liter V6 with a six-speed automatic transmission is in the uplevel XR. Both returned 20 mpg overall in our testing. Our tested XE had a better ride than the XR, which is stiffer and harsh over bumps. Both were nimble and responsive, but easily slid their tails at their handling limits. The interior has nicer materials and surfaces than past Saturns, but cheap plastics and unfinished surfaces are still evident. Curtain air bags and ABS are standard, but ESC is standard only on the XR and the hybrid version, the Aura Greenline.

Get full ratings and in-depth results from individual tests. Click here.

Consumer Reports Bottom Line Price

The Consumer Reports Bottom Line Price is the dealer invoice minus any holdbacks, national dealer incentives, and customer rebates.

Bottom Line Price Range: $19,023 - $22,763

Find out exactly what the dealer paid with the New Car Price Service.

Road Test Results

Excellent Acceleration

Very Good Accident avoidance

Very Good Comfort and convenience

Fair Real-world fuel economy

For 20 more ratings and expert automotive advice, click here.

Overall Rating

(Family sedans)

Highest Rated

89 out of 100 89

XR V6

70 out of 100 70

Lowest Rated

39 out of 100 39

That's what I think. As good as the new 'Bu may be, it's not going to drastically change the marketplace in just a few years. It won't change the marketplace period, over multiple generations, if GM doesn't continually update and market it. Do not let it grow stale on the vine, GM.

what happened to the nissan altima... didnt it see upwards of 2-3 times previous years sales?

now of course if gm got that kinda result on its actual retail sales... then it might be another 10k units or so... :pokeowned:

but seriously... this one has got to sell more then the previous year, unless the old was is renamed classic for fleets...

I'm in Cali right now and the never ending procession of imports of the roads is daunting. I don't think that someone in South Orange County or Walnut Creek will proclaim loudly that they want a 'Bu over the Camry.

I wish them well. They need a good staple car. You don't like the ass...I don't like the C-pillar. Lately, a lot of rental cars I've had have visibility issues when turning lanes. Not fun.

I agree with you on the perception challenge.....especially as I live in SoCal too......but I have to tell you, for the most part, Malibu tells a telling story....it's attractive (ass aside) and should prove to have a solid chassis....good handling.....great powertrains.....

....but I have to say the interior really worries me. It's nice looking with the swooping curves and the two-tone accents......but the center stack controls are cheap-looking....and the fit-and-finish, if not significantly better than AURA, will seriously disappoint.

Accord ('08) has raised the bar yet again on interior execution....and the Camry, for all it's detractors on here, is still a step above this new Malibu.

Let's hope for the best......

....and the Camry, for all it's detractors on here, is still a step above this new Malibu.

Based on what?

Total cost of ownership? Nope. Pricing hasn't been released yet.

Fuel Economy? Nope. Fuel economy figures haven't been released yet.

Suspension? Nope. Just nope. Not even worth arguing.

Top-end Horespower? Yes. Usable Torque- No. At least not by the spec sheet.

Looks? Nope.

Safety? Nope. The Aura is a full 5-stars and the Malibu will be too.

Reliability? Maybe? Maybe up to 0.75 problem per vehicle. Maybe.

Interior? Maybe? I'll wait and judge that when the Malibu arrives.

It's clear that GM photography leaves a lot to be desired.

Camry sales may be several steps above the current Malibu, but it's kind of hard to point out how the Camry is even half a step above the new Malibu, especially before the Malibu even finds its way into customers' garages.

hrmmm...

wonder how much business those magazines can bring... just by saying something like better then camry, or best chevy ever... how many old gm fans will drop their pants and go get one?

hmmm.....

unique dealership experience comes to mind.....

lifestyles of Newbiewar a close second......

wants to ask....

thinks better of it....

nevermind.

hmmm.....

unique dealership experience comes to mind.....

lifestyles of Newbiewar a close second......

wants to ask....

thinks better of it....

nevermind.

ask away man...

i know most of our advertisement was focused on pricing and the avaliblity...

but very often we'd get consumers on national advertisement come in, that was too soon...

people would poor in to the dealerships wanting to see the GMT900 2 months before it was on the lot, because advertisement had already started... and when the vehicle already got there... the traffic on the show room wasnt as it was the months prior...

and depending on the advertisement it would trigger a certain response... if GM could get some nice angles, and get some front page shots across most magazines, newspapers, and written publications... things could prove to provide renewed respect for the detroit sedan...

but for the most part... 99% of advertisement for vehicles is wasted unless its consistant... and its well thought out, and catchy...

for example... remember the employee discount commercials... how much money did GM spend in advertisements with that promotion... in just that month alone? i bet more then they are planning to spend on the malibu... of 100 million... if gm spends how much per year, 2.9 billion? and your only going to use 100 million for the launch of a car that is suppost to raise the bar for the entire car manufacture...?

but for example... if gm says, hey 50% of all advertisement for a year is spent on new launches... and 50% of it on reinforcement advertisement that allows owners to keep the car in mind, but they already learned about the car they wanted a few months ago...

but i'm not an advertising buff, or even anyone with any experiance in that subject... its just a guess... that you want to point out the freshest product...

Accord ('08) has raised the bar yet again on interior execution....and the Camry, for all it's detractors on here, is still a step above this new Malibu.

Too bad though the Accord lowered the bar on exterior execution. What a hideous redesign in my opinion, and the Camry don't get me started. That car should come with a complimentary bottle of Metamucil.

Based on what?

Total cost of ownership? Nope. Pricing hasn't been released yet.

Fuel Economy? Nope. Fuel economy figures haven't been released yet.

Suspension? Nope. Just nope. Not even worth arguing.

Top-end Horespower? Yes. Usable Torque- No. At least not by the spec sheet.

Looks? Nope.

Safety? Nope. The Aura is a full 5-stars and the Malibu will be too.

Reliability? Maybe? Maybe up to 0.75 problem per vehicle. Maybe.

Interior? Maybe? I'll wait and judge that when the Malibu arrives.

It's clear that GM photography leaves a lot to be desired.

Camry sales may be several steps above the current Malibu, but it's kind of hard to point out how the Camry is even half a step above the new Malibu, especially before the Malibu even finds its way into customers' garages.

....step up in interior quality.....I've been in numerous AURAs (which will most likely share materials) and have seen Malibu up close at the auto show.

Too bad though the Accord lowered the bar on exterior execution. What a hideous redesign in my opinion, and the Camry don't get me started. That car should come with a complimentary bottle of Metamucil.

Accord is amazingly well executed inside and outside....I happen to think the new exterior design is damned attractive....very Acura-esque....good-looking....and sporty.

It's going to take a few generations of top notch Malibus before the public starts buying them in numbers.

That applies to almost every GM model, from the Aveo to the STS... I have confidence GM can deliver the goods, but it will take time, commitment and loads of investment in product to get there. Management-wise it's quite an interesting challenge!

It all comes down to preception.

The Malibu is as good as Honda and Camry but the trick is how do you change peoples minds of what a Malibu rreally is.

Hyundia did it with price and better warranties than Honda and Toyota. Is that something GM should do to one up and make them a better value. Once GM gets people behind the wheel and treat them well at the dealer it shoudl work.

I just fear just sitting the car out there and hoping they will come in will not be enough.

The price will bait the trap and the warranty will back up GM's claim they are better.

People want cheap cars that don't need fixed! That is all it takes as we already know by the big sellers styling seems to not matter.

and the Camry, for all it's detractors on here, is still a step above this new Malibu.

Let's hope for the best......

The magazines have already picked the Aura over the Camry. There's no reason to assume the Malibu won't be better than the Aura. Therefore, how can the Camry be a step ahead of the Malibu?

....step up in interior quality.....I've been in numerous AURAs (which will most likely share materials) and have seen Malibu up close at the auto show.

Please do provide more details as to why you feel the interior in the Camry is substantially better?

And to clarify, the interior is the only attribute that you feel the Malibu will not match or exceed the Camry?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by plane

Please do provide more details as to why you feel the interior in the Camry is substantially better?

And to clarify, the interior is the only attribute that you feel the Malibu will not match or exceed the Camry?

Posted Image

Posted Image

it would be a sad site if someone didnt like that olive beige color...

and you'd be supprise how much those interior colors get skuffed up prior to them even leaving the dealership lots...

gets dirty very easily...

haha sorry to compelely ruin your point :pokeowned:

I don't know about him.. but the center stack in the Malibu is horribly cheap looking if you ask me. However, the rest of the interior looks better than the Camry's. Edited by blackviper8891

it would be a sad site if someone didnt like that olive beige color...

and you'd be supprise how much those interior colors get skuffed up prior to them even leaving the dealership lots...

gets dirty very easily...

haha sorry to compelely ruin your point :pokeowned:

Congratulations.

In all of my 80 posts, yours is the most nonsensical comment I have had the fortune to witness.

You have truly taken witlessness to a new high (low?).

And you did all that without even including :pbjtime: , :hissyfit: , :duh: or "NewbieWar".

Well, Newbiewar was a given, but you did all that with only one emoticon.

Well done.

Edited by plane

I don't know about him.. but the center stack in the Malibu is horribly cheap looking if you ask me. However, the rest of the interior looks better than the Camry's.

Agreed. The integrated radio looks much better.

When I saw the first Aura photos I almost lost my cookies, but then was surprised how much better it looked person.

Still, the stack just doesn't flow as nicely as it could.

lol...complaint about the trunk, which is as large/larger than the competition.

On my 6 the trunk may be small on paper, but it's friggin large in real life. Last time I was moving a mattress, tried my friend's Accord, no go. Can't even get it inside. In the 6 the mattress slid right inside, closed the lid and drove off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Center stack and door panels.

On all AURAs I've been in, the armrest on the door panel pulls away (!) from the actual door panel if you put any pressure on it.....POOR fit-and-finish. Malibu seems to have adapted the same door panels.

Also, the center stack looks depressingly cheap compared to Camry, and perhaps more importantly, the new Accord.

Center stack and door panels.

On all AURAs I've been in, the armrest on the door panel pulls away (!) from the actual door panel if you put any pressure on it.....POOR fit-and-finish. Malibu seems to have adapted the same door panels.

Even if your anecdotal evidence was fact for all AURAs, you assume zero progress has been made between that car and the Malibu. I am willing to say progress had been made. We'll see.

Also, the center stack looks depressingly cheap compared to Camry, and perhaps more importantly, the new Accord.

Accord, debatable. I prefer the Malibu's style and the proven ease-of-use (to me) of the controls. However, the Camry? Well, maybe you enjoy looking at a huge hazard button, ugly rectangular HVAC vent cutlines, and flat and dull plastimetal, but I don't. I would also be especially irritated to have to stare at the same Timex clock radio I woke up to only to find out that, unlike the Timex, the clock isn't clearly legible - I have to look a foot up the dash through a pillbox gunner's slit to discern when I am.

I like the interior better than the Camry's especially with the interesting colors. Fly makes a good point about the ease of use of the controls...but we've seen them before...in almost every GM product outside of Cadillac (oh, wait, the BLS).

The door panels look like more thought needed to be put into their design but they ran out of time or money, at least based on photos.

What I love about the Accord's interior in addition to the pleasant colors (their shades of black and tan are very nice) is the attention to detail that goes into it. The center stack may have a lot of buttons, but 1.) You'd get used to them easily if you owned the car 2.) they look special and not like they were pulled out of another Hinda. While I don't care for the Camry's center stack (or the rest of the interior), they same can be said for its design...it doesn't feel like it was pulled out of a Corolla.

The Accord's interior give you the impression that no corners were cut and every aspect was treated with the same about of attention to detail. Based on that, the Malibu interior doesn't hold up.

If the materials are good and build quality is good than it may be forgivable, but it's still playing second fiddle.

There is no debate here. The Accord definitely gets the nod over the Malibu.

I put ergonomics and familiarity over how the back of the rearview feels. For me, the Malibu's easy-use radio and HVAC controls even it out and the dual-cowl coolness with thoughtful wood trimming wins it.

Sure they all offer a stick on the 4 cylinder but who offers one on the V6? My guess is only Nissan and VW.

I can't help it any more, I have to respond to this, hehe.

So what if some are only offered with the four cylinders? It's certainly better than nothing, and if its adequately powerful enough (not like the 2.0L SOHC I-4 from a Neon teemed to a 4-sp auto as in my Plymouth Breeze) then I would prefer a four.

And, VW as far as I know, doesn't offer a stick (yet) with the 3.6L VR6 in the new Passat.

I put ergonomics and familiarity over how the back of the rearview feels. For me, the Malibu's easy-use radio and HVAC controls even it out

How did I know you were going to say that? Any radio and HVAC controls can become familiar and easy to use if you actually try to learn the controls. No matter the vehicle, you're going to learn how the new controls work. Just because something looks more complicated, doesn't mean it is. Someone as intelligent as yourself should be aware of this and not relay on such silly excuses. :P

I've never found any radio to be "too complex" or to have "too many buttons". For me, looks matter above all else and the Malibu's center stack looks like $h!.

Lmao!

To me, the center stack doesn't look like $h!, just cheap because it's the same black tie radio as everywhere else.

I put ergonomics and familiarity over how the back of the rearview feels.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

The center console is the least of Chevy's worries with the Malibu.

It may not be the greatest center console of all time, but it doesn't need to be.

Get everything else on target and Chevy will sell enough 'Bus to upgrade the infernal often-cursed console.

Kaizen.

Little steps that bring GM back to the top.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

The center console is the least of Chevy's worries with the Malibu.

It may not be the greatest center console of all time, but it doesn't need to be.

Get everything else on target and Chevy will sell enough 'Bus to upgrade the infernal often-cursed console.

Kaizen.

Little steps that bring GM back to the top.

Or get it all right at once and make a good first impression.

At least they center stack is trimmed in silver and not black...but it still doesn't look that good. A NAV system in it's place wood do wonders...but guess what's still not offered on the Malibu?