2009 Dodge Journey!!

It seems they are, but it looks like interior and cargo volume are going to less than the Highlander, and the Edge and Equinox don't offer 3rd rows. Plus, none of the ones you listed offer 4 cylinders. Therefore, the natural competitor in terms of size and power (and probably price), at least, seems to be the RAV4.

Who's actually going to buy the 4-cyl though? This thing has to weigh 4000+lbs based on the apparent size in pictures. The 4cyl is available for 3 reasons: Advertising lower fuel economy, advertising lower price, and selling to fleets.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more comparable to the XL-7 (lwb Theta) than anything else. It's quite narrow for the midsize D- and E-segments (like the Thetas), and is built on a lighter architecture than the Endeavor, Tribeca, and Veracruz (the next closest in size). Expect weight and price to be closer to the XL-7 (quite a bit cheaper than other E-segment crossovers) as well (with an even cheaper 4-cylinder starting price). It's not as long, and nowhere near as wide as the Pacifica, Taurus-X, Acadia, CX-9 et al.

It seems they are, but it looks like interior and cargo volume are going to less than the Highlander, and the Edge and Equinox don't offer 3rd rows. Plus, none of the ones you listed offer 4 cylinders. Therefore, the natural competitor in terms of size and power (and probably price), at least, seems to be the RAV4.

Good grief, next you will be telling me that since the Avenger ad G6 etc. don't offer the same interior and cargo volume as the Accord, and are much cheaper, that their natural competitors are the Civic and Corolla. You could at least have compared it with the much larger 3-row Santa Fe and Outlander (at the lower end of the D-segment), the latter offering the same 4-cylinder and using a smaller version of the same platform.

reg, you've got all the jokes. :AH-HA_wink:

I believe the 4 cylinder is available primarily for overseas markets, I am sure Dodge knows most Americans will opt for the 3.5L. I wish we had the turbodiesel and manual transaxle available here though (especially with the 4, to give it a peppy feel), that would really set the Journey apart from the crowd.

As far as "natural competitors" go, this thing manages to straddle the Edges and Rav4s of the market nicely, it truly is "right-sized" for a lot of folks.

I agree. It's the best looking of the new Chrysler/Dodge vehicles, however... It might be a little too safe in an increasingly competitive segment and I fear that this will get lost in the shuffle when Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, and Nissan come out with similar vehicle.

Interior is.. interesting. Better then in the spyshots but still very awkward and far too many buttons.

I'm glad this wasn't named the Crew-it was a stupid name and people would've thought 'crew cab' instantly. Journey isn't much better, but it has been seen on a Jeep concept and the fabulous GM do Brasil Chevy concept in late 2002. And the car, while the dimensions look like they are there, its blandness reminds me of the 1976-80 Aspen wagon. Its a Dodge, Dodges are supposed to be bold! This is so uninspiring and boring looking, no imagination to the grille or styling at all! I mean, I realize there's a difference between conservative styling and not even bothering to try and style it, and again, like the 2008 Grand Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country, this Journey falls into the latter category. And if even the Chevrolet Equinox doesn't offer a 4-cylinder engine (instead it has a weak and ancient V-6, still better than a 4-cylinder in most cases), why is there one here? (We know how well that worked for the first Toyota Highlander, a key rival). The 2.7-liter V-6 or detuned 3.5 are no better. Have not seen the interior though, but considering everything else so far with more cons than pros, I'm not holding out any hope there either.

I really like it. The size seems right and as someone pointed out the gas mileage under the new 2008 ratings is right in line with the competition. I love the interior packaging. The in floor storage is a great idea. I suspect that Dodge will sell tons of these now that they have eliminated the SWB minivan. Smart if you ask me - since the CUV segment has really taken off.

Lots of buttons don't bother me...as long as they are connected to lots of good features like in the CTS - which the Journey appears to be.

The exterior looks like a Mitsu to me. The interior, while better than current Chrysler products, still is poor. The Lambdas and Flex are much better efforts. When is Dodge going to learn how to design a good interior? Everything is a square.

Wow, overall like it, except the 1960 Plymouth Valiant/Dodge Lancer dashboard.

Considering other newly-released Chryslers have been the Caliber, Patriot, Compass, Avenger, Sebring, Aspen, and Nitro, the Journey seems all right.

Have a good look at an Aspen sometime. They're actually one of the nicest vehicles out there in the larger SUV class IMO. Inside AND out.

I really like it. The size seems right and as someone pointed out the gas mileage under the new 2008 ratings is right in line with the competition. …

It may prove too narrow compared to the competition. I expect decent, and possibly great legroom for a midsize crossover (although not as much as fullsizers such as the Acadia and Flex), but the elbow and shoulder room could put many buyers off when they compar it to wider Pilot, Edge and Highlander.

I think the powertrains are fine for the most part...the 4-banger is only for fleets and bargain hunters anyway. Most people will probably op for the 2.7L...a 6-speed should be at least optional for it though.

It amazes me how people on the forum will find anything to bitch about that they possibly can about a Chrysler product. Styling is too bold they call it ugly, styling is conservative they call it "bland with no thought put into it" Personally, I think the styling is very nice. It's clean and tidy and looks good from every angle. It's not as bold as say, a Charger, but plenty of thought went into the design and to say otherwise shows just how ignorant you are.

I haven't checked actual dimensions yet but is this the size of a Rav4 or is it bigger?

I'm really curious to see more photos of the interior...and to know if quality gins have been made in the materials department...is also wonder what the suspension tuning will be like.

Edited by Dodgefan

It amazes me how people on the forum will find anything to bitch about that they possibly can about a Chrysler product. Styling is too bold they call it ugly, styling is conservative they call it "bland with no thought put into it" Personally, I think the styling is very nice. It's clean and tidy and looks good from very angle. It's not as bold as say, a Charger, but plenty of thought went into the design and to say otherwise shows just how ignorant you are.

Hahaha

Some are completely blinded by brand names.

Put a pentastar on a Solstice or a Corevtte, it would be "junk" on this forum. Toss a bowtie on the Nitro's grill and it would be stunningly gorgeous, while completely perfect on all road conditions....

I think we can all see that pretty clearly..?

LOL

Okay, there have been comparisons to a lot of vehicles here. Based on wheelbase, and general description, it looks like the closest competitor will be the Ford Taurus X. GM won't really have a close competitor as the Lambdas are larger and more expensive and the Thetas are smaller and likely less expensive.

Now, I think I've gone nuts because I don't see why everyone likes this thing so much. I'll give you that there's nothing offensive, but there's nothing I see that is impressive either. For Dodge, that face should be way more bold, the profile should have something to add and the interior is boring. I mean, take a look at the some of the competitions' interiors.

Hahaha

Put a pentastar on a Solstice or a Corevtte, it would be "junk" on this forum. Toss a bowtie on the Nitro's grill and it would be stunningly gorgeous, while completely perfect on all road conditions....

LOL

Well, I mean if it's not one's cup of tea than fine (which shows it still is distinctive if not everyone likes it), it's just the "well I don't like it so it must suck as a fact" attitude that's...less than mature.

Well, I like the Journey.

It's certainly got a better looking exterior than the Equinox or Torrent even if the Journey is bigger. The interior materials ought to be the equal of those (hard, hollow, and scratchy) or better (I hope).

You have to admire Chrysler's reluctance to stick a fender vent on every new or MCE'd vehicle in it's lineup...unlike some companies.

Amen to that!

Yeah, they leave that for the buyer to do after the sale!

One can only hope they do a better job at sticking them on than that Acura I posted :P

Hmmmm....

I guess it looks good...

But I wonder, more importantly, where is GM's response to this (and the Edge?)

Equinox/Torrent simply won't cut the mustard.....

Lambdas are awesome.....but too big and expensive. Where is GM going to play in this segment?

Equinox redesign?

Hahaha

LOL

There are a fair share of those who are clearly blinded, no doubt, but I think the vast majority aren't. C&G is one of the most even-keel automotive forums I've joined. It's why I continually post here after 4 years. Other forums I've joined... including everything from ones for Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, specific GM brands, and even rival GM forums, I have never found any of them to be on the same level as C&G. And of course, if you truly think that for this forum in general, one would have to ask why you stick around. :wink:

i like the journey

but there is a bit of a 'sam's club or costco house brand' feel to this and many other chrysler cars, post 300 hemi.

lovin

touchin

scqweeeezzzzzinnnnnnnnn

each other! (because the cabin was not wide enough to not touch elbows)

Are you basing this on the dimensions of the vehicle or interior dimensions? I haven't checked that press release out so I dunno.

The vehicle will be a nice seller.

There are a fair share of those who are clearly blinded, no doubt, but I think the vast majority aren't. C&G is one of the most even-keel automotive forums I've joined. It's why I continually post here after 4 years. Other forums I've joined... including everything from ones for Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, specific GM brands, and even rival GM forums, I have never found any of them to be on the same level as C&G. And of course, if you truly think that for this forum in general, one would have to ask why you stick around. :wink:

You gotta be JOKING.

"one of the most even-keel automotive forums"..?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could bring up YOUR posts that make that sentence both nonsensical and laughable.

one would have to ask why you stick around. :wink:

Two words for ya why I read the Chrysler section here....

Jerry

Springer

Now, why would millions and millions watch the oh-so popular Jerry Springer show?

Balanced views? Thoughtful insights? Intelligent views?

I don't think so!

:wink:

Posted Image

Edited by CMG

Reading C&D I just realized that in other markets the 2.7 will come with a 6-speed automatic, but us Americans are left with the 4-speed <_<

They want to make us buy the 3.5L top end version. Europeans expect 6 speed autos on lower powered/priced cars, Americans expect to have to pay the most to get the best. Also, alot of Europeans might not buy the 3.5L due to fuel costs.....even though I think the 2.7L and 3.5L MPG are almost the same.

Without reading through the rest of the thread...

Looks good from the outside. This is what the new Caravan should have looked like.

The interior, frankly, is awful. In the pre-production pictures, the fit and finish looks bad (particularly how the side vents line up with the IP "insert"). Hopefully production versions will line up better. I'm not a fan the design of the IP - I'm not digging it in photos at all. Maybe it will look better in person. The center console looks okay in the top-of-the-line version with NAV, but is crap-nasty on the base version - particularly the recepticle at the top of the console that crosses the cut line of the IP insert. More cut lines ≠ more quality.

Will Chrysler or Jeep be getting vehicles based on this chassis?

-RBB

The exterior looks like a Mitsu to me. The interior, while better than current Chrysler products, still is poor. The Lambdas and Flex are much better efforts. When is Dodge going to learn how to design a good interior? Everything is a square.

I think it's (the interior) quite unique and one of Chrysler's best efforts. Have you seen the entire pic of the dash? The way it wraps entirely around the dash from driver to passenger side reminds me of a "squared off" oval. Very nifty-looking....and I like it much better than the Edge's interior.

I think it's (the interior) quite unique and one of Chrysler's best efforts. Have you seen the entire pic of the dash? The way it wraps entirely around the dash from driver to passenger side reminds me of a "squared off" oval. Very nifty-looking....and I like it much better than the Edge's interior.

That is interesting, but regardless the center stack sucks.

Will Chrysler or Jeep be getting vehicles based on this chassis?

-RBB

Yes. The code for it is the JZ49 (JC49 is the Journey). A lot of people think that it is going to replace the PT or be called the PT since the PT will be/may be droped and both vehicles, JZ and JC, will be built at the Mexico factory that currently builds the PT.

Not bad, but WOW is that some bad gas mileage for a 4-cyl "small" vehicle.

It also seems to keep with the Chrysler theme of cheap looking interiors.

Remember this is 2008 EPA numbers. Compare to the Edge/Highlander/Rav4/CR-V etc and you will see it is on par.

You gotta be JOKING.

"one of the most even-keel automotive forums"..?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could bring up YOUR posts that make that sentence both nonsensical and laughable.

No, I'm not joking. Just look around. Many of the members, whether they're GM fans, Chrysler fans, Ford fans, Toyota fans, Honda Fans, etc... They're longtime members. They stick around. If you can't see beyond you're own bias, that's you're own problem, not one with this forum. Perhaps stepping off your pedestal will help you "see the light". :P

Two words for ya why I read the Chrysler section here....

Jerry

Springer

Now, why would millions and millions watch the oh-so popular Jerry Springer show?

Balanced views? Thoughtful insights? Intelligent views?

I don't think so!

So, by all definitions, you're a troll. Nice to know. :wink:

Chrysler made the vehicle because they decided to drop the SWB Caravan....

Posted Image

From this angle, it looks like the last gen minivan.

Chrysler has stated that less then 10% of minivan sales were to the SWB. And those people bought the vehicle not because of the size but because of price.

They thought of the idea of the Journey many years ago and it "was" going to look like....

Posted Image

May of the ideas from the Kahuna concept has found their way onto other vehicle. Canvas top meet the 08 Liberty.

Luckily they decided to go a different direction in terms of styling.

I am not sure if this will compete with any vehicle within the Chrysler group, e.g., the Pacifica is 6-7 inches wider then the Journey.

Outside of the Chrysler group, it could be vehicles like the Edge/Highlander/Rav4/CR-V.