Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hyperv6

Pontiac G8 ST

45 posts in this topic

Well it looks like the UTE is going to be a G8 ST per Autoblog reports. Here is what was posted.

Mike Levine over at Pickuptruck.com has managed to scoop a tasty nugget of info about the Pontiac-branded ute that will soon be for sale in the U.S. The Aussie-import based on the same platform as the rear-wheel-drive G8 sedan will be called the G8 ST, as in "Sport Truck".

That pang of disappointment you feel is the missed opportunity of paying homage to GM's most well known car-based pickups and their colorful names: the Chevy El Camino and GMC Caballero. Rather than dubbing Pontiac's ute the "Tamale" or "El Camino Redux", we get a measly little two-letter suffix. Sigh.

Also of note is that the pickup will only be available with a 6.0L V8 and is likely to start around $31,000.

Meh, so it gets a stupid alphanumeric - what else is new?

Starting at 31k? what happened to being less expensive than the sedan?

No matter really, I still plan to get one.

So is this confirmation that it will happen, or more "what if"?

Don't mind me, I'm just tired and grumpy this evening. <_<

I think ST is fine. If G8 gets changed to a non-alphanumeric name, then I can see changing ST to something else.

Meh, so it gets a stupid alphanumeric - what else is new?

Starting at 31k? what happened to being less expensive than the sedan?

No matter really, I still plan to get one.

So is this confirmation that it will happen, or more "what if"?

Don't mind me, I'm just tired and grumpy this evening. <_<

My pension fund thanks you! Why are you tired and grumpy this evening? :scratchchin:

My pension fund thanks you! Why are you tired and grumpy this evening? :scratchchin:

Nothing big, really. I just got too little sleep last night, busted my butt today, and have to go out tonight. The way I feel right now, I'd rather just get some sleep - but that's not going to happen.

Well, "ST" is safe and inoffensive.

I am glad this is going over better than I expected as it would not change a thing to complain anyway.

In the early '90s, GMC referred to their sporty versions of the Sierra and Sonoma pickups as "ST" - for sport trucks. What's old is new again.

Well, it IS a Sport Truck. Especially with the 6.0.

Well Camino, you can always debadge it and then stick a couple Chevy emblems and an El Camino emblem :AH-HA_wink:

Well, well...

How fu[CENSORED]ng creative...

:rolleyes:

I know right?

I do wish we'd get real names from Pontiac...it's bad enough Cadillac is DLS FLR CVS ATT MIC, and so on :P

I don't care what it's called... just bring it over already. Strolling into the local Pontiac dealership and seeing the G8 S, G8 ST, and G8 SW (oooh, it is sort of creative! :P ) parked next to each other will be a lust-filled experience.

I don't care what it's called... just bring it over already. Strolling into the local Pontiac dealership and seeing the G8 S, G8 ST, and G8 SW (oooh, it is sort of creative! :P ) parked next to each other will be a lust-filled experience.

True :P

typhoon....

why not just G8 utility?

and, they really ought to offer this with a v6.

it'll be interesting to see what volume of these they bring over. my guess is only about 5,000 but in and of itself that should create lots of publicity. that, and its a unique offering for GM in the market.

Edited by regfootball

I guess I'm OK with this. I like that they're making it part of the G8 family...not sure why, but I do.

The only thing that troubles me is that this is an indication that Pontiac is moving toward a muscle-car performance brand. But, that's going to overlap some of what Chevy does. They should have just made an El Camino for Chevy if they really wanted this car and focused Pontiac on being more of a sport performance brand. They already had a good start with the Solstice.

Well Camino, you can always debadge it and then stick a couple Chevy emblems and an El Camino emblem :AH-HA_wink:

I could do more than that. I could get a ME market Chevy nose for it, but I don't think I'll bother. It is what it is, stupid name and all.

Debadging is tempting though.

GM has too much invested in this stupid alphanumeric scheme to abandon it for a while. So we are stuck with it for now. As long as the product is good, I plan to overlook the crappy names.

You can tick-tock the asinine alphanumerics all you want, just leave the cars themselves the hell alone!

You can tick-tock the asinine alphanumerics all you want, just leave the cars themselves the hell alone!

I'm just a messenger, for one more powerful than I. I'm like an angel of the Lord, yeah that's it, just like an angel of the Lord! :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I'm just a messenger, for one more powerful than I. I'm like an angel of the Lord, yeah that's it, just like an angel of the Lord! :AH-HA_wink:

I didn't know mental asylums let their patients be messengers.. Well, I guess I learn something new every day! :P

:rolleyes:

+1

31K?! :(

What if they offer a 2.9 diesel version? What will they call that? STD???

One would need a condom to drive that :rotflmao:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0