Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avant1963

The HyundaiLexusW Genesis

41 posts in this topic

It looks like it is going to suffer from Oldsmobile-itis as far as badging is concerned. No H's anywhere. You're not supposed to know it is a Hyundai.

So a logo which looks like a Bentley.

Head Lights that look like a Mercedes.

The reat that looks like Lexus/ Camry.

Side profile mishmash of BMW.

Wow it is really a genesis of a new mutant.

Genesis!?!? Genesis allowed is not! It is auto forbidden!

From what I read when they revealed the logo the other day, this is a Korea only thing. The one we get will most likely wear the same old deformed 'H'.

From what I read when they revealed the logo the other day, this is a Korea only thing. The one we get will most likely wear the same old deformed 'H'.

I read that too, which is ashame, because a Chrysler/Bentley knockoff is a damn sight more pleasant to look at than the crummy H which adorned Exels of yore.

Blah. Very derivative, and some of the cues are blatant ripoffs. I think the Hyundai hooplah was quite premature.

I'm surprised they can get away with this, it's about as bad as those Chinese clones that were popping up for a while followed by the string of lawsuits.

Derivative is an understatement.

Yuk. Just Yuk. Now that is just plain sucks. It's a copy no matter where you look. Even worse than Chinese makes who were criticized for copying others all these years. Haven't they learned from the loss they had due to Chinese copying their previous models? Following THEIR trend? and claiming it as their best? :thumbsdown: There isn't ONE bit of Originality. Why can't they just release the concept version which was LESS Derivative. They ruined it so much that it isn't even funny now. This will be a tough sell especially in US. The designers have just went Vanilla and screwed up big from the concept version. I feel ashamed that I am Korean just by looking at this. That much, which is saying a lot.

Now I'm not even sure if they can even export it to US without suffering some lawsuits here and there. They will be lucky to even score a sell of just 1 unit.

To me, even this one looks better:

ssangyong_rodius1.jpg

At least it isn't that much derivative, but then, it was created partly by Mercedes so....

Now I know what they are going to do with their coupe version. Hiring the same losers who ruined the sedan, discard ALL things that were on the concept, and put in all kinds of other brands designs in there like they did here. Stealing a design is only OK to some extent, not this much. The Shame.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

btw, I heard that this will be the US-version(without the Genesis Logo), the same car but.

http://www.bobaedream.co.kr/board/data/dat...=&Answer=61

Everything is in Korean, but I can tell you that more than 70% of the comments posted in Korean are all negative. More than half of those negative comments states that they prefer the Concepts look which is the same opinion that I have. They are saying all kinds of thing like, it is just a junk ready to be wrecked, nothing more than a Chinese clone that is just big, design that goes backward, was looking to buy but changed their minds, and so and so. To me, if Hyundai really want to make money by selling this thing in the US, they really need to change pretty much... EVERYTHING.

Sorry Hyundai, but to me, this new, 'so-called' luxury sedan according to you is just a shamefull knock-off that could have been better NEVER to be designed in the first place. No-one will buy, so save yourself from embarassment by not being able to sell any here, just scrape it and don't export it, unless you are going to revise it.

oh, and sorry about the double post.

To me, I think they are better off not exporting it to the US. I mean, save themselves from embarassment, since I highly doubt that anyone will buy it. Unless they can come out with their own design to be proud of and change it before they bring it here.

I just can't help but feel ashamed that my native country followed what Chinese car companies have been doing and causing all kinds of lawsuits and all.

those ladies standing next to the car know they are working for scrubs of the industry

those ladies standing next to the car know they are working for scrubs of the industry

Too true, Too true. :)

the sad thing is to have any appeal whatsoever to a luxury buyer today, they must feel like the car they are purchasing has a distinct name and appeal, a brand that stands for something. what is this car?

I highly doubt that anyone will consider this as 'LUXURY' as Hyundai wants to label it. Comming out from Hyundai?, in US? They will probably see it as an 'OVER-PRICED, OVER-HYPED, LUXURY KNOCK-OFF'. Part of the reason I believe it's better for them to keep it as Korea only, not for the export.

We should play magic mirror and see how many other car's design cues we can pick out.

Ready?

Go!

Well, only thing I am hoping for now is they don't screw up on the coupe as well. If they go vanilla on the coupe as well, then, they are going down...... But knowing Hyundai, they may.

AND CADDY CTS WHEELS

The concept was so much better...amazing how front and rear fascia tweaks make it look so much worse. The more I see it the less I like it.

They'd be better off keeping the Chrysler/Bentley badge on it...That cheesy H screams cheap. Hyundai will never break out of that barrier of being cheap with a logo like that...time for a new one...and you know, less derivative cars.

Well, as is, the car won't sell. They will certainly learn it the hard way. They seriously need to develep their own thing or they will fall forever into the abyss.

I hope they learn their lesson since I am pretty sure NO-ONE will buy it when they bring it here un-touched.

If they can't design stuff on their own, at least give the designing work to the company like Proto Motors whom I don't think that there is any new model on works. Sure, the Spirra of theirs may took some cues from NSX(well, it seems like), but it DOES have some uniqueness to it, and they are experienced in designing few of the models for Hyundai and Kia in the past, and I am sure they will do MUCH better job the the trash they came out with. Since they are also based in Korea, the cost will be lot less than giving the work to Europe or anywhere else.

Well, that's what I think. The car as is, have serious problem in design. No-one will want to buy and spending that kind of money on this junk.

Yup... very unoriginal.

Makes sense really... <_<

Hyundai is where Datsun & Toyota were in the 1970s... and back then

the most original design they had was the Toyota 2000GT and the

Datsun 240Z, both borrowing 90% of their styling from the Corvette &

Jaguar E-type!

Sad to see how much Lexus is in the headlights. :blink:

It's still nice to see more RWD. Down with FWD, RWD to the people!!!

Well, they could have done a better job. I think, if they kept their concept's grill, kept the tail-lights, and the bumper, the car would have looked FAR less derivative. What a pity. This is one car that Hyundai will NEVER succeed with. I hope they learn their lesson when this model fails miserably. They deserve it by copying others and claiming it as their own. The shame, they been improving steadily, and all of a sudden, BOOM. With a bad model, they ruined it all.

It'll sell as long as it undercuts cars from established luxury brands in price (and I'm sure it will).

I, for one, give Hyundai credit for getting rear-drive into their lineup before any other mainstream Asian marque and 2/3 of the big three. Styling is derivative, but to say it's anywhere near as bad as what the Chinese are doing is an exaggeration.

It'll sell as long as it undercuts cars from established luxury brands in price (and I'm sure it will).

I, for one, give Hyundai credit for getting rear-drive into their lineup before any other mainstream Asian marque and 2/3 of the big three. Styling is derivative, but to say it's anywhere near as bad as what the Chinese are doing is an exaggeration.

Yeah probably it will for the first year or so, just like the Grandeur XG or just XG did for the first year, before ending in fleets.