Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ocnblu

Jeep Commander

72 posts in this topic

Stopped by one of the local Mopar dealerships this afternoon and looked at the new bigger Jeep. Sure enough, it's blocky, but it's handsome, and despite the pics that make it look kinda tippy, it really doesn't give that impression first hand. It has a nice stance. Overall, I give it a preliminary grade of B (haven't driven it.)

I've seen 7 on the road already. Looks much better in person. That drab beige color used in press release photos was horrible.

I saw one on campus... It looks a lot smaller then what I expected. Is it closer in size to the Tahoe, or Suburban?

I saw one already... Still don't like it and think the interior looks horrible and cheap while the exterior is a bloated retro Cherokee. Bleh...

I had one behind me toady...wow, big...and not too bad looking... Also seen a few on the roads...

I saw one on campus... It looks a lot smaller then what I expected.  Is it closer in size to the Tahoe, or Suburban?

[post="29703"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Tahoe, definately, even though I was under the impression after seeing only pics that it was more Suburban-sized. In reality, just looks like a Cherokee that's been slightly modernized and stretched a little.

the third row packaging is horrendous, but the first tow rows are comfy and the interior is pretty decent if somewhat plasticky. One thing is for sure, brand identity. It is unmistakably a Jeep. You can't say the new Impala has that strong a brand identity, for example. Edited by regfootball

Tahoe, definately, even though I was under the impression after seeing only pics that it was more Suburban-sized.  In reality, just looks like a Cherokee that's been slightly modernized and stretched a little.

It's considerably smaller than the Tahoe..more Explorer-sized. Same wheelbase (109 inches) as the GC, but taller. The 3rd row is very cramped from what I've read. Overall length is about the same as the GC (188.5 inches).

They probably should have stretched the wheelbase a few inches for more 3rd row legroom. but I'm glad they didn't make it as big as the bloated, ugly Durango. Edited by moltar

Man, how do they get away with such a cheap interior?
:rolleyes:
Posted Image

[post="30067"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

But actually touch that grey dash material. It feels awfull!. It's the same stuff they use in the downmarket 300s and Magnums.

But actually touch that grey dash material. It feels awfull!.  It's the same stuff they use in the downmarket 300s and Magnums.

Yeah, just like the new GC...I've sat in a couple of '05 GCs and was really dissapointed with the dash materials and design...my '00 GC has a much nicer dash in terms of design and layout and the materials (nice squishy plastic)..

C/D compared one to the new Explorer, and the Commander won by 2 points. I still prefer the Expy, though... the Commander is far too ostentatious. Or as C/D suggested, an Odyssey:

Unless you're conducting some "difficulty eight" off-roading, neither of these SUVs is much fun. If your goal is simply to seat seven, buy a minivan. A Honda Odyssey is quicker to 60 mph than the [V-8] Explorer, has a higher top speed than either of these SUVs, is quieter at idle, offers better fuel economy, outgrips both, is faster through our lange change, includes steering with actual feel, affords easier access to the third seat, will carry more than two fulgurites when the rearmost seat is raised, and will tow 3500 pounds -- sufficient for any of the ATVs, motorbikes, buggies or two-person campers we encountered at the dunes. Did we mention that minivans are cheaper?

Buying an Explorer or Commander on the premiuse that you might, one day, need to carry seven person and tow a Bayliner up to Chicken Point is like buying the Playboy mansion on the premiuse that you might, one day, have 17 bosomy, dumb girlfriends who all want to live with you at the same time. Yeah, it could happen. But why pay the mortgage until it does?

C/D compared one to the new Explorer, and the Commander won by 2 points. I still prefer the Expy, though... the Commander is far too ostentatious. Or as C/D suggested, an Odyssey:

[post="30085"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

OMG, now Honda&Driver is trying to tell you to but a Honda in an article comparing a Jeep and a Ford? :blink: :angry:

But actually touch that grey dash material. It feels awfull!.  It's the same stuff they use in the downmarket 300s and Magnums.

[post="30071"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If it's the same as my 300 Touring, then it should feel pretty nice. All of the interior pieces, above the knees, in my 300 feel soft and nice. The only hard plastic is on the lower dash and lower door map pockets.

I saw one on campus... It looks a lot smaller then what I expected.  Is it closer in size to the Tahoe, or Suburban?

[post="29703"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Its smaller than both or the Durango-its closer to TrailBlazer size-actually a little less than that even. A wasted effort in my opinion.

If it's the same as my 300 Touring, then it should feel pretty nice.  All of the interior pieces, above the knees, in my 300 feel soft and nice.  The only hard plastic is on the lower dash and lower door map pockets.

[post="30089"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm not sure what they put on the Chrysler Diplomat Touring, but the base model Dipomat I drove from Enterprise had a very crappy feeling dash. It made the dash in my CTS feel luxurious.

I'm not sure what they put on the Chrysler Diplomat Touring, but the base model Dipomat I drove from Enterprise had a very crappy feeling dash. It made the dash in my CTS feel luxurious.

What is a 'Diplomat Touring'?

Its smaller than both or the Durango-its closer to TrailBlazer size-actually a little less than that even. A wasted effort in my opinion.

[post="30091"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's about the same size as the GC or Explorer but taller...it gives Jeep a midsize SUV with a 3rd row seats...

[post="30103"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Your CTS should feel luxurious......it costs $10K more than the base 300! http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

Your CTS should feel luxurious......it costs $10K more than the base 300!  http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

True, but what in the heck is a 'Chrysler Diplomat Touring'? I know there is a 300 wagon called the Touring in Europe, but 'Diplomat'? The last Diplomat I remember is the bland '80s cop car from Dodge...

True, but what in the heck is a 'Chrysler Diplomat Touring'? I know there is a 300 wagon called the Touring in Europe, but 'Diplomat'?  The last Diplomat I remember is the bland '80s cop car from Dodge...

[post="30117"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Let's just say that I'm not the biggest fan of the 300. I think it's looks have more in common with the last Diplomat then anything else in the Chrysler line. It has questionable ergonomics and the downmarket models feel very downmarket. Sure it has RWD and a big V8, but there is more to a car then that. I'm not saying its a bad car, I liked it at first, but I'm over the looks now. I've driven a few rentals and rode in a top-o-the-line a few times and they drive and handle fine.

I threw in the comment about the CTS because the CTS gets panned for it's interior so often.

If it's the same as my 300 Touring, then it should feel pretty nice.  All of the interior pieces, above the knees, in my 300 feel soft and nice.  The only hard plastic is on the lower dash and lower door map pockets.

[post="30089"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The LX car materials ARE different....and much nicer than what DCX is putting into the Jeeps (Liberty excluded....it's better) and trucks.

My impression of the Commander is cheap interior materials, but actually nice stalk/switch/knob feel. Fit-and-finish is pretty good....even though the dash and door panel plastics are hard and nasty. Call it acceptable but certainly a level away from world-class.

I too feel the Commander has a unique Jeep presence on the road that's not readily apparent in pictures. Call it a "poor man's" version of the Land Rover LR3.

The HEMI powertrain, of course, is first-class and we all know the Jeep will be more-than-adept at tackling challenging terrain.

Your CTS should feel luxurious......it costs $10K more than the base 300!  http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

[post="30116"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dash plastics in the LX cars are all the same regardless of trim level (2.7L up to 300C.)

The only real trim difference on the dash, etc., is the trim surrounding the center stack (eg...fake woodgrain, silver "aluminum" trim, etc.)

Dash tops and door panels are all the same.

Let's just say that I'm not the biggest fan of the 300. I think it's looks have more in common with the last Diplomat then anything else in the Chrysler line. It has questionable ergonomics and the downmarket models feel very downmarket. Sure it has RWD and a big V8, but there is more to a car then that.  I'm not saying its a bad car, I liked it at first, but I'm over the looks now. I've driven a few rentals and rode in a top-o-the-line a few times and they drive and handle fine.
I threw in the comment about the CTS because the CTS gets panned for it's interior so often.

So you were referring to the 300 as a 'Diplomat'? Wierd...I see no resembalance between the two...the Diplomat was a styleless '80s box-on-wheels...dull, dull, dull.. and mechanically ancient (leaf springs, solid rear axle, etc).

nothing like the 300 which is thoroughly modern with sleek, angular styling.. Edited by moltar

So you were referring to the 300 as a 'Diplomat'?  Wierd...I see no resembalance between the two...the Diplomat was a styleless '80s box-on-wheels...dull, dull, dull.. and mechanically ancient (leaf springs, solid rear axle, etc).

nothing like the 300 which is thoroughly modern with sleek, angular styling..

[post="30149"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think it's the front that really strikes the resemblance chord with me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I see it more of an evolution thing. Kind of like how you can tell that a '06 Deville is related to a '84 Deville... but one is obviously older then the other.