Calling all geeks and nerds!

Cool... as a kid, I geeked out on the original Star Trek in reruns in the '80s..got into ST with the first movie, enjoyed all the TOS-based movies... watched TNG but never really liked it, DSN, or Voyager as much as the original..

• 3 weeks later...
Oh please... you only want to see it because of Chris Doane... I mean Pine. :P

Actually, sounds interesting. I'm skeptical (as usual) but think it could be pulled off and capture the next generation. :bowl:

(OK....almost embarrassed to admit this.....)

....I'm going to the Star Trek tour in Long Beach tomorrow!!!!!!

I kinda like the darker, more "organic" look of the trailer....kinda reminds me what they did with the new Battlestar Galactica.

Can't wait!

Notice how they're building the Enterprise in the trailer... do you think it's just part of the trailer? I think it would be better to have the ship already completed. Sorry, I know I'm a geek!

Did I mention already, that I can't wait?!?! :lol:

I want to know what the whole ship is going to look like. I think it will be cool.......look like the "cheesy" original NCC-1701 but with updates to the finish (a la the NX-01 in "Enterprise")

Can't wait!

Notice how they're building the Enterprise in the trailer... do you think it's just part of the trailer? I think it would be better to have the ship already completed. Sorry, I know I'm a geek!

Did I mention already, that I can't wait?!?! :lol:

Well, I think it's more a symbolism than anything else. The whole premise of the website is that it's under construction. Besides, it looks as if the ship is being built on land... Newport News maybe.... the Enterprise was actually built in space.

I wonder how the uniforms will look...gold, blue and red velour like TOS? I think part of the plot line is when Kirk and Spock first meet, and their early days on the Enterprise..

I think velour needs to be left in the past (or future?) but as long as red shirts denote who's going to die, I'm cool with it. TNG was the only one that I really ever got into, and that was when I was just a wee lad, but I can't believe that they had the captain wear red for that series.

Well, I think it's more a symbolism than anything else. The whole premise of the website is that it's under construction. Besides, it looks as if the ship is being built on land... Newport News maybe.... the Enterprise was actually built in space.

That's quite the debate there among trekkies, and it's going on over at www.imdb.com. Here's just one of the many arguments stating where & how each of the different classes of Enterprise's have been made:

Rodenberry wrote a book back in the late sixties or early seventies called "THE MAKING OF STAR TREK" in which he states that the Enterprise was assembled at the SanFransisco dock yards. So it was Roddenberry who was the origion of this. Years latter, when the Enterprise was supposedly 're-fitted' in "Star Trek: the Motion Picture",is the ship seen being worked on in orbit high above Sanfrancisco. Presumably starship construction had been re-located to earth orbit by the time of the events in the first Trek film. Both the terestrial construction of what would eventualy become Kirk's ship, and it's subsequent orbital re-fit all take place in the twenty-third century. It's not until the twenty-forth century-the time of Picard's Enterprise-D-that Galaxy-class starship construction takes place in Mars orbit.

Franz Joseph in his 1970's book THE STARFLEET TECHNICAL MANUAL establishes that the origional Enterprise and her twelve sister ships are "Constitution-Class" starships. The Enterprise refit design seen in STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE, STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KAHN, and STAR TREK; THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK was the prototype for a new Starship Class called the "Enterprise" class. The Enterprise-A is an Enterprise-Class starship renamed Enterprise after Kirk's refit Enterprise is destroyed. Picard's starship the Enterprise-D, is yet another class; the GALAXY-class Starship.

Hince, The 'Constitution-Class' starships were built on earth, the 'Enterprise-re-fit' and subseqent 'Enterprise-Class' Starships were built in Earth Orbit and by the time of the Enterprise-D, "Galaxy-class" starships were being built at Utopia Plenitia Dock-yards in Mars orbit (This is mentioned on Star Trek: THE NEXT GENERATION as well as in THE STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION TECHNICAL MANUAL). Man! I think I've got writers cramp!

Also a little further along:

The Enterprise's dedication plaque clearly states the vessel was built in San Francisco.

Link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0796366/board/thre...mp;p=1#96035506

That's quite the debate there among trekkies, and it's going on over at www.imdb.com. Here's just one of the many arguments stating where & how each of the different classes of Enterprise's have been made:

Also a little further along:

Link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0796366/board/thre...mp;p=1#96035506

Yeah I don't think this "debate" is such a big deal. I wasn't alive during TOS....but from any episodes I've seen, I never saw anything to dispute that the first NCC-1701 was not built on earth.

I think the "built on earth" theme is kinda cool.....so why not run with it.....?

Finally, in everything I've seen, they never moved foward with the "Enterprise Class" designation....and the refit and NCC-1701-A Enterprises were still referred to as "Constitution-Class Refit." Then you had the "B" as an "Excelsior Class" then the "C" as an "Ambassador Class" and the "D" as "Galaxy Class" and finally "E" as "Sovereign Class."

I'm almost more curious to see what the bridge and interior of the new movie Enterprise will look like. That is one area where TOS was almost embarrassingly cheesy.....will be interesting to see how they "update" it......

The drydock you see in The Motion Picture is part of the San Fransisco yards as they orbit over San Fransisco. The Utopia Plenitia yards get their name from the Utopia Plenitia area on Mars above which they orbit.

The Intrepid class... much later..

"Being one of the few Starfleet starship classes capable of atmospheric entry and planetary landing, the Intrepid-class starship is equipped with antigravity generators as well as impulse and lifters strategically placed at the mass and stress points on the bottom portion of the secondary hull.

which I doubt the original Constitution was fitted with.

The drydock you see in The Motion Picture is part of the San Fransisco yards as they orbit over San Fransisco. The Utopia Plenitia yards get their name from the Utopia Plenitia area on Mars above which they orbit.

The Intrepid class... much later..

which I doubt the original Constitution was fitted with.

One interesting tidbit......Picard's Galaxy Class ship wasn't the first one to be able to separate the saucer section......

I read in some sort of original draft for ST The Motion Picture that there was a scene at the end of the movie after V'Ger went away that the Enterprise is attacked by Klingon warships. The Enterprise was to detach the saucer section and use both the saucer and the stardrive section to engage the Klingon ships.

This scene was supposedly a retaliation from the Klingons for the loss of their three ships at the beginning of the movie...and the Klingons were assuming that Earth was behind V'ger and the subsequent loss of their ships.....somewhat logical because V'Ger made it's way to earth and considered the "carbon-based lifeforms" it's creator.

Apparently the fight scene (with the saucer-separation) was deleted to keep the movie at a certain length.....a shame because that could have been an exciting ending to what was a mostly action-less movie.....

I wanted to see this movie when I first heard about it, then I found out JJ Abrams was the director. :puke:

I think it's going to ultimately be a big disappointment. I mean, Abrams didn't allow Shatner to make a cameo in the movie when he openly asked for it. You do not make a Star Trek movie and not have the original Captain Kirk somewhere in it.

I wanted to see this movie when I first heard about it, then I found out JJ Abrams was the director. :puke:

I think it's going to ultimately be a big disappointment. I mean, Abrams didn't allow Shatner to make a cameo in the movie when he openly asked for it. You do not make a Star Trek movie and not have the original Captain Kirk somewhere in it.

'cept when he's gained like 90 lbs.

One interesting tidbit......Picard's Galaxy Class ship wasn't the first one to be able to separate the saucer section......

I read in some sort of original draft for ST The Motion Picture that there was a scene at the end of the movie after V'Ger went away that the Enterprise is attacked by Klingon warships. The Enterprise was to detach the saucer section and use both the saucer and the stardrive section to engage the Klingon ships.

This scene was supposedly a retaliation from the Klingons for the loss of their three ships at the beginning of the movie...and the Klingons were assuming that Earth was behind V'ger and the subsequent loss of their ships.....somewhat logical because V'Ger made it's way to earth and considered the "carbon-based lifeforms" it's creator.

Apparently the fight scene (with the saucer-separation) was deleted to keep the movie at a certain length.....a shame because that could have been an exciting ending to what was a mostly action-less movie.....

The original Constitution all the way back in the original episodes was able to separate. However, it was a last resort, lifeboat sort of thing. The saucer and drive section weren't able to be rejoined without the help of a spacedock.

A youtube visualization of what it might look like....

The original Constitution all the way back in the original episodes was able to separate. However, it was a last resort, lifeboat sort of thing. The saucer and drive section weren't able to be rejoined without the help of a spacedock.

A youtube visualization of what it might look like....

That youtube was cool......lol.

What's ur favorite 1701...?

B... with D a close second.

I tend to like the more graceful looking ships. The B was my favorite look, but the D would kick your ass and look great doing it.

I've always had a fondness for the D, even though overall it's not my favorite.....

Mine would be the C....even though we didn't see that ship much. To me, it is almost as big and as powerful as the D, but has to me a real classic look to it....especially with the round secondary hull.

The B would rank very high with me except I don't like the modifications they made to the original Excelsior to turn it into the Enterprise-B. The classic Excelsior-class shape to me is best.

Taking style AND capability into consideration.....I'd rank them:

C (and had the first female captain of the Enterprise!)

E (just loved seeing it kick Borg butt in First Contact)

B (give me the basic version though)

D (just big and badass...and with a sexy bald captain)

A (the refit....still a classic)

C (and had the first female captain of the Enterprise!)

E (just loved seeing it kick Borg butt in First Contact)

B (give me the basic version though)

D (just big and badass...and with a sexy bald captain)

A (the refit....still a classic)

I always found the C's shape and style to be kind of awkward. It's not that stellar a ship to fly either <in Star Trek: Legacy or Armada II with the patch>. The D is more powerful and the B is more maneuverable. The E is just overdone style wise.

my order.. and to keep this kind of automotive relevant:

Excelsior class: '66 Oldsmobile Toronado, long sleek with nice curves but still has lines where it should have lines, looks fast, is fast, handles only so-so

Galaxy class: BMW 750i-L that Dinan worked over, obviously built for comfort, but damn if you want to f@#k with it.

Constitution class - refit: 1996 Chevy Caprice LT1, fairly unassuming, Goes by the Winston Churchill quote "If you're going through hell, keep going."

Sovereign class: Dodge Charger SRT-8 - looks mean, just raw power

Ambassador class: '08 Honda Accord, looks awkward from certain angles, others are faster, others handle better, but she'll always get ya home.

my favorite is the Enterprise A. The refit constituition class just looks fast standing still with the swept back pylons supporting the warp nacelles. Plus kirk is my favorite captain and I like the bridge on the Enterprise A is Star trek 6 above all others. I'd liken it to a classic muscle car, probably to a 442 since it had a ton os speed but also handled well.

I like the B next. Always had a soft spot for the excelsior class. So sleek and powerful looking. If it was a car it would be a 5 series or an STS. just great proportions overall.

Than i like the E third. it is a bit overdone but I see it with is complicate sporty lines as an exotic car like a ferrari.

I rand the D 4th. it is the bullkiest design and least manuverable looking but it still has a certain grace for it. I'd liken it to a Caddy land yatch.

The C just doesn't have great lines and looks like an older less gracefull version of the D. In that vein of logic I would consider it a late 80's GM full size car.

zachary_quinto.jpg

Zachary Quinto-Spock (Yum)

66cde530.jpg

Chris Pine-Kirk (Hubba Hubba)

eric-bana-nero.jpg

Eric Bana-Nero (Still as beautiful as ever)

I am really beginning to think they are targeting Gay Star Trek fans. I mean really-could they have picked a more homo-erotic group of actors?

I always found the C's shape and style to be kind of awkward. It's not that stellar a ship to fly either <in Star Trek: Legacy or Armada II with the patch>. The D is more powerful and the B is more maneuverable. The E is just overdone style wise.

my order.. and to keep this kind of automotive relevant:

Excelsior class: '66 Oldsmobile Toronado, long sleek with nice curves but still has lines where it should have lines, looks fast, is fast, handles only so-so

Galaxy class: BMW 750i-L that Dinan worked over, obviously built for comfort, but damn if you want to f@#k with it.

Constitution class - refit: 1996 Chevy Caprice LT1, fairly unassuming, Goes by the Winston Churchill quote "If you're going through hell, keep going."

Sovereign class: Dodge Charger SRT-8 - looks mean, just raw power

Ambassador class: '08 Honda Accord, looks awkward from certain angles, others are faster, others handle better, but she'll always get ya home.

LOL....love the car references......

zachary_quinto.jpg

Zachary Quinto-Spock (Yum)

66cde530.jpg

Chris Pine-Kirk (Hubba Hubba)

eric-bana-nero.jpg

Eric Bana-Nero (Still as beautiful as ever)

I am really beginning to think they are targeting Gay Star Trek fans. I mean really-could they have picked a more homo-erotic group of actors?

I AGREE....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think Chris Pine is almost over-the-top handsome. We'll see about his acting ability....but he looks to be a great Kirk.

:wub:

Incidentally.....I saw "Leiutenant Castillo" from the "Yesterday's Enterprise" episode of TNG at a local restaurant/bar in Laguna Beach a few months ago......he was HOT....and BUILT....and looked just like he did on the episode. (He had some blonde bumblebee attached at his hip though....ugh...SUCH a waste!)

And, another one I've swooned over is "Lt. Hawk" the conn officer from "First Contact." A buddy of mine used to be roommates with him in college in L.A. years ago. Buddy said he was a real man-whore....LOL. He's another hottie....can't believe he got assimilated!!!!!!!!!