Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Hyundai is Embarrassed of Itself...

NOS2006

http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-decide...sis-grille.html

Mostly luxury cars are adorned proudly with the maker's logo on the grille or hood. Not the Hyundai Genesis. Hyundai has decided to omit its logo from the grille of the new Genesis luxury sedan, the company announced this week.

At the Detroit auto show, the automaker showed one version of the Genesis with the Hyundai logo and one without. Apparently, reaction to the version without the logo was more positive, so that one will see production.

Hyundai's vice president of product development disclosed the decision at the Chicago Auto Show this week, according to trade publication Automotive News.

Many consumers associate the Hyundai nameplate with economy cars, so it's likely Hyundai feels the need to shun the image as much as possible. There were rumors about a new Hyundai luxury brand, but so far that idea has not materialized.

It is a predicament for Hyundai, and I think they chose the right decision for the short term. Unfortunately doing this isn't going to do anything to help the Hyundai brand. I think making a new luxury brand is Hyundai's only real way of properly marketing and selling luxury cars, because "Hyundai" just doesn't cut it, too associated with economy cars (like they said) and doesn't have any sort of luxury sound to it when spoken.

I had wondered if their goal is a separate luxury channel...'Genesis' could work as a brand name, with a couple models under it... Hyundai the brand has so long been associated with cheap FWD generics in the US, that it's a hard sell as an entry-lux brand, I think..

It's the genesis wave! They're on a build up to detonation!

Wrath of Khan was my favortie Trek movie.

Did you see the teaser trailer for the new Trek film Oldsmoboi? I'm really looking forward to it!

It's the genesis wave! They're on a build up to detonation!

Wrath of Khan was my favortie Trek movie.

Did you see the teaser trailer for the new Trek film Oldsmoboi? I'm really looking forward to it!

I posted the thread about it ;-)

This is similar to what Oldsmobile did with the Aurora...If I remember correctly, the word "Oldsmobile" didn't appear anywhere on second-gen, and Oldsmobile gave the car unique emblems.

In doing this, the average consumer with no knowledge of what a "Genesis" is will have to dig deeper for information about it (although I believe the Hyundai logo will appear on the rear of the car).

Personally, I think Hyundai would be better off creating its own luxury division to sell the Genesis, and any future high-end models, through. Judging by Hyundai's superbowl ads, such a division isn't going to materialize. If they plan on it, now would be the time.

This is similar to what Oldsmobile did with the Aurora...If I remember correctly, the word "Oldsmobile" didn't appear anywhere on second-gen, and Oldsmobile gave the car unique emblems.

Actually it was the first gen that only had Oldsmobile written on the CD player, the second gen had Oldsmobile written on the trunk lid, but still little Oldsmobile badging.

In doing this, the average consumer with no knowledge of what a "Genesis" is will have to dig deeper for information about it (although I believe the Hyundai logo will appear on the rear of the car).

Personally, I think Hyundai would be better off creating its own luxury division to sell the Genesis, and any future high-end models, through. Judging by Hyundai's superbowl ads, such a division isn't going to materialize. If they plan on it, now would be the time.

Yeah, and we all know how that turned out...............

Actually it was the first gen that only had Oldsmobile written on the CD player, the second gen had Oldsmobile written on the trunk lid, but still little Oldsmobile badging.

As a second-gen owner, the only Oldsmobile logo is on the owner's manual cover. Everything else is the "Flying A" Aurora logo. The optional navigation system from 2002-2003 has an Oldsmobile logo at boot-up, though.

I personally like that Auroras have their own logo; makes the car more special. Just like Riviera has its own logo, along with Impala, Monte Carlo, Corvette and previously Camaro.

Edited by Croc

Well, if I were Hyundai, I'd be embarrassed of myself, too.

They built this POS ...

250px-Hyundai_Sonata.jpg

... And now they want to be taken seriously as a luxury car maker? Haha, yeah right.

What the hell is that thing?

That's such a bad ripoff of the Sable it's not even funny.

At first I thought you were confused or something and actually put up a picture of a Sable.

Hyundai is a brand "on the way." For whatever reason they seem to appeal very well to females and older couples, I don't know why they fit that demographic but at least around here they do. Would be interesting to see what a Hyundai luxury car would be like.

But if the Amanti is any indication, the Koreans have a LONG way to go to catch Lincoln, let alone Cadillac or Lexus.

Chris

Hyundai is a brand "on the way." For whatever reason they seem to appeal very well to females and older couples, I don't know why they fit that demographic but at least around here they do. Would be interesting to see what a Hyundai luxury car would be like.

But if the Amanti is any indication, the Koreans have a LONG way to go to catch Lincoln, let alone Cadillac or Lexus.

Chris

Agree, Hyundai has come a very long way since the first Excel, but one thing about Hyundai/Kia is that they are very fast learners. Their cars have improved exponentially since they first came to the U.S market, and now the Genesis will be a game changer just as the LS400 was back in the fall of 1989 when it was first released. Hyundai is one to watch, and the South Koreans have the capacity to put some serious hurt on the Japanese automakers, especially Toyota. While I would never buy a Hyundai (although the new Genesis sedan is intriguing), I do love that they are beating Toyota at their own game.