Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GMTruckGuy74

The wife's new ride

66 posts in this topic

If you've been following caddycruiser's thread about his own car buying experiences, you've seen me mention that my wife has also been looking to get out of our Envoy lease (a month & a half early from the termination date, thanks to a GMAC Pull Ahead offer) for a much more economical car choice. Witht he 0% for 72 months deal (which we need to stay in the affordable range), she was motivated to do something by this weekend.

Her choice? A 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan in White Diamond Tricoat and Taupe Leather interior. Here are some <crappy> shots of it at night, as we were leaving the dealership:

DSCN7000.jpg

DSCN6999.jpg

DSCN7001.jpg

DSCN7002.jpg

The window sticker:

DSCN7004.jpg

It was manufactured this month (June '08) and had just 3 miles on the odometer (5 or 6 at the end of our test drive). It literally just came off the carrier within the past week! The otehr G6 (4cyl) she test drove was the same way (door jamb sticker said 06/08, and it too had 3 miles on the odo; btw, she wasn't happy with the 2.4l Ecotec engine and wanted the V6, which I told her she'd want anyway).

Our salesman was a funny/goofy guy - he started about a month ago and this was his first actual sale. He said he wished he had brought his digital camera with him to take a picture; I had mine, so I offered (and now have to bring him a cipy at delivery on Saturday, per his request <_< ). Here's the picture, with my ever-so-happy-looking wife ( :lol: ):

DSCN7005.jpg

(If she finds out I posted that, she's gonna kill me!!!)

The car is equipped with the Chrome Appearance Package, which the factory puts on the chrome door handles and Chrometech rims; the dealer needs to install the upper chrome grilles, the chrome door sills, and chrome exhaust tip still. We're taking delivery on Saturday morning. More and better pictures of this beautiful colored car will be posted sometime Sunday.

Derek - yup, we've got cousin cars now!!! Who else here in C&Gland will join this new family???

Congratulations on the new Pontiac!:)

Like I said in my email, the chrome package is REALLY nice and fits beautifully with the "Caddy" WD and Taupe, and then the wheels with it give the GT look vs. the other base wheels. If there's anything I think I might have liked on what I got, it might have been the 18's in chrome if offered, as that's always a perfect touch with the WD.

Interested to eventually hear your thoughts on your Aura vs. G6 now, as they're so often wondered about as different versions of EP.

We HAVE to do a family picture if we ever meet up for anything 8)

Congrats, Roger.

Anyone else find it interesting that so many of our members have purchased (or will be purchasing) new Pontiacs in the last few years? I'd say that Pontiac holds quite the sales lead around here.

And this is a brand the numbskulls want to kill ?!!

Congrats, Roger.

Anyone else find it interesting that so many of our members have purchased (or will be purchasing) new Pontiacs in the last few years? I'd say that Pontiac holds quite the sales lead around here.

And this is a brand the numbskulls want to kill ?!!

GREAT point and one I've pondered...the brand always talked about killing, yet look how many of us have gone for them. Well, actually, on that point it doesn't seem like loyal GM sales to Pontiac are hard, but conquests aren't overly common. Or maybe they are. I'm curious to ask at the dealer.

When I stopped by yesterday to drop something, my saleslady was out with another young guy perusing the G6's. She told me he just graduated college TOO and was interested in the G6, probably a GT coupe as well...but also considering a 4-cyl sedan for gas mileage. Wasn't sure yet. If anything, Pontiac seems to get the youngest of buyers.

I checked Pontiac's website... a nearby dealer has a dark blue GT coupe with Sun&Sound and the 18's... :scratchchin:

Luv the color! Congrats! Glad you're staying in the GM family!

I checked Pontiac's website... a nearby dealer has a dark blue GT coupe with Sun&Sound and the 18's... :scratchchin:

Hey...let's make it 3, really :thumbsup:

That's probably one of the many I printed a sticker for in my search of ALL of the surrounding area for coupes that interested me. And even though I decided against dark...really liked that color on a coupe looking at it again, even not being a blue person.

My concern, and probably a thought of Roger's too though he already has a 3.5L Aura with what should be the same setup as a base G6 3.5L, is how high you can eek out mpg wise. Believe it or not (I do, based on other Epsilons 4-cyl and V6), the intern with the new GXP 3.6L says hers will do 33 mpg in steady highway cruising when she does her 3 hour trips home and back. The 3.6L/6-speed has identical ratings to the 3.5L/4-speed coupe, so should be close.

Roger...that clock is ticking until delivery :AH-HA_wink: You'll definitely beat me to it, with my situation.

Edited by caddycruiser

Nice choice! Love that color! :thumbsup:

So, how did you talk her out of the Vibe?

Congratulations, GMTruckGuy! 8)

I hope the electric steering is better for you than it was for us.

Congratulations, GMTruckGuy! 8)

I hope the electric steering is better for you than it was for us.

They don't have it anymore, only 2.4L models do. Any 3.5L or 3.6L G6 has the hydraulic setup, after the constant complaints and issues. The electric system is wonderful in the 2.4L Malibus and Auras at least now, but nada in V6's anymore. From my test drives, the hydraulic seems very tight and connected.

i hate a white car... usually, but i wouldnt mind that white... (in outrageous french accent) oh yes itsa veerrry nice-a

They don't have it anymore, only 2.4L models do. Any 3.5L or 3.6L G6 has the hydraulic setup, after the constant complaints and issues. The electric system is wonderful in the 2.4L Malibus and Auras at least now, but nada in V6's anymore. From my test drives, the hydraulic seems very tight and connected.

Indeed the hydraulic system is worlds better than the electric one. It's very nicely weighted in our Aura and well planted. In comparison, our G6 V6 SE handled like a boat, no kidding.

Glad to know that people who opt for the better engine no longer have to suffer with an incompetent system.

i hate a white car... usually, but i wouldnt mind that white... (in outrageous french accent) oh yes itsa veerrry nice-a

Yeah. I've always loved it on Cadillacs...fits the luxury image well. I'm still going to have to get used to it, especially on a Pontiac. Still, very cool that Pontiac was able to offer it...then again, dating back to the last of the Bonnevilles as well.

Roger's here is just really special with also having the rare (from what I've seen) Chrome package in conjunction.

Nice choice! Love that color! :thumbsup:

So, how did you talk her out of the Vibe?

Well, the fact the G6 had 0% interest and the Vibe would have a minimum of 5.9% was the biggest piece of ammo in my arsenal. That she really wanted heated seats in her new car (the one option she insisted on having), which the Vibe doesn't offer, also helped to seal the deal. Additionally, the remote start with extended range (200 feet vs. 30 feet), the chrome package (she really likes the G6's chrome rims), the interior design being better in the G6 than in the Vibe (at least in our opinion; the Vibe GT is too basic for a $22k car), plus the fact that she could get a color other than black (all that's available in the Vibe) - all aided in getting her to realize that the G6 was the better deal and offered more bang for her buck. In reality, our credit is not horrible, but is also not great. Being that she's been in good standing with GMAC for the last 8 years, we kinda knew that GMAC would approve the loan without problems - and they did (she got a courtesy call today from our salesman letting us know). In the end, she's very happy and has been telling everyone at her job today about her new "Pontiac" (all those damn import humpers!! :P ).

As for the color, initially she wasn't all gaa-gaa about it, preferring the other new-for-2008 color, Performance Red. They didn't have many G6 sedans in that color available (just one, a 1SV Special Value Sedan, and the rest were coupes & convertibles), and since we have a blue AURA she can't have another blue car in the house :rolleyes: Once I told her that the White Diamond Tricoat was originally a Cadillac and Oldsmobile Aurora color (she's always liked the Aurora), she began to see the WD in a different way (that is, being more upscale). She was turned off by the regular White they had, saying it was too generic. The car was recently delivered, and as such was covered in road-transit (carrier) dust, grime, and bugs. She can't wait to see it all shined up. I told her that since this car is being financed, I'll clean it again next weekend and wax it to retain that shine throughout the summer months (and many more car washes).

All in all, I'm glad she stayed with GM and I'm happy for us/her to be in a Pontiac again (she absolutely loved her 2000 Grand Prix GT sedan that we leased from 2000-2003). I've been a long-time Pontiac fan, and owe it to my mom and her then-brand new 1983 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ (which is what I learned to drive on). I've personally owned a '95 Trans Am T-top coupe and a '99 Grand Am GT1 sedan, and drove the '00 GP on many occasions (it was my love of the 1995 Pontiac 300 GPX concept that turned into a passion for the '97 GP that inspired her her to get the '00 GP). At least my driveway remains all GM yet again.

Delivery is in about 12 hours... she can't wait, and I'm excited for her too, but unfortunately I lose the GMC Envoy in the process :(

Roger very good buy. Hot car for a beautiful woman.

Sorry about the GMC, life is a balance you have to lose some to gain some.

Trust me at the gas pump I wouldn't miss the Envoy! What is it EPA rated at and also I thought it was a GT at first with the cool chrome wheels. But with the chrome package and V6 it is as close to a GT as you can get. Great color by the way isn't Caddycrusier gonna have a white diamond coupe? I would love to see photos of those two wonderful Pontiac's together. WELCOME BACK to the PONTIAC family. And yes around her I bought a Pontiac in January, you and Derek just got yours so yeah we buying Pontiac's here on C&G which I consider to be a GREAT thing. Best of luck and I can't wait for photos in good lighting.

Edited by gm4life

As for the color, initially she wasn't all gaa-gaa about it, preferring the other new-for-2008 color, Performance Red. They didn't have many G6 sedans in that color available (just one, a 1SV Special Value Sedan, and the rest were coupes & convertibles), and since we have a blue AURA she can't have another blue car in the house :rolleyes: Once I told her that the White Diamond Tricoat was originally a Cadillac and Oldsmobile Aurora color (she's always liked the Aurora), she began to see the WD in a different way (that is, being more upscale).

my g'parents g6 has that funky blue gold crystal it looks its best at night

We'll have to compare mileage notes, you with a 3.5L and 3:05 gears and mine with the same but 3:29 GT-spec gears.

Also...what did you think of the car, so far, compared to the Aura (a-la Version 2/3 of the EP vs. the 1/2 G6)?

Well, I think from my time spent in the G6 yesterday that the interior is smaller and tighter than the AURA, which is a plus for my wife (she likes smaller cars) and a negative for me (I like bigger cars). Ride-wise, I wouldn't say at this point that I noticed much of a difference between the two, but again I've been driving the AURA on and off (sharing with the wife) for the last year & a half; the G6 I spent about a total of 30 minutes between the two we test drove. I like the leather-wrapped steering wheel in the G6; my AURA has the fabric interior, so I don't have the leather-wrapped steering wheel. It was easy to drive and handle, and the pickup of the 3.5L V6 felt the same as in the AURA. I'm not "up" on the specs of the gearing ratios, so I'll assume that the 3.05 will aid in better fuel economy over the GT's 3.29? I'm curious as to what gear ratio my 2007 AURA has! One of the reasons I like this particular G6 is what many here have already stated - it has the look of the pre-'08 GT model without the price. caddycruiser - since I haven't been following Pontiacs lately, I didn't realize that the Chrome Appearance Package on the base G6 models was rare. I've seen some additional G6 V6 Sedan models there (midnight blue, for example) that also had this chrome package; they had several of the GT & GXP Street packaged models in-stock; both the wife and I agreed in our opinion it wasn't the best looking in the styling department (mainly due to the enormous front grilles). As I spend more time in the G6, I'll post comparisons with the AURA (especially since the AURA is my daily driver now until November, 2009).

caddycruiser, I replied to your e-mail (sorry it was sent late).

smallchevy, life is a balance and in due time I shall have another GMC to call my own :AH-HA_wink: Patience is one of my virtues!

gm4life, the financial hit to our bank account when refueling the Envoy was the main motivator for the wife to "dump" it before the lease termination in mid-August. Not that filling the AURA up is such a great deal, but it goes longer and gets better mileage when compared to the Envoy. Yes, caddycruiser and I (my wife) both purchased Diamond White Tricoat colored G6's; his is a GT Coupe, where my wife's is a base V6 Sedan. I don't know if they'll ever be together for a picture, because it's the wife's car and not mine and I likely will not be left with it over the AURA. It is a great feeling to see Pontiac gaining sales, and the dealership where we're buying from was busy selling Pontiacs and GMCs that day (no one was there for a Buick while we were there <_< ). And for many years I've been a Pontiac fan, so it's great returning to a loved brand. Better daytime pictures will be taken tomorrow (as long as it's not raining), and posted as soon as I can get them downloaded from the camera.

Thanks GMTruckGuy I just hope they could be together for a photo shoot that would be SO cool. They would look great together. Once again congrats on the new whip. I'd give her the Aura and run. Trust me I agree filling up a nice midsizer with a V6 is so much better than a nice Envoy. I wish you nothing but the best Also how is the rear legroom in them honestly?

Edited by gm4life

Yes, caddycruiser and I (my wife) both purchased Diamond White Tricoat colored G6's; his is a GT Coupe, where my wife's is a base V6 Sedan. I don't know if they'll ever be together for a picture, because it's the wife's car and not mine and I likely will not be left with it over the AURA.

Thanks GMTruckGuy I just hope they could be together for a photo shoot that would be SO cool. They would look great together. Once again congrats on the new whip. I'd give her the Aura and run. Trust me I agree filling up a nice midsizer with a V6 is so much better than a nice Envoy. I wish you nothing but the best Also how is the rear legroom in them honestly?

We're working on it Roger...

Good glad to here. Nothing would make a fellow Pontiac owner happier. Include your moms Malibu Caddy and GMTruck guys Aura then your would have the whole family. LOL

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0