Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wildcat

GMI: Some GMC Programs Canceled

58 posts in this topic

GMI is reporting that the NG GMC Acadia and the Lambda SUT that GMC and Chevrolet were to share have been canceled from GMC's future product plans. GMI notes that they NOT received word that GMC is getting cut.

I would have never sent a Lambda to GMC in the first place. Let's hope that this indicates a logical cutting of models rather than a sign of a brand elimination.

I would have never sent a Lambda to GMC in the first place. Let's hope that this indicates a logical cutting of models rather than a sign of a brand elimination.

Well, the Acadia was supposed to go to Pontiac to replace the Aztek, but they changed it to GMC reasonably late in the program. That's why it has such a "sporty" interior for an SUV with the red lighting.

Sorry, but for the good of the company, I do hope this is a sign of the end of GMC. It will free up money to give other brands the attention they need.

I hope so (About the brands)

But I don't see the logic behind cutting the Acadia. It's by far the best selling Lambda and a perfect fit for GMC IMO. If Pontiac and GMC are to stay and if the Denali XT comes to fruition, the Lambda truck program would be redundant IMO. But otherwise, why couldn't the Lambda SUT and X-over become the main bread winners for GMC?

Wasn't Saturn supposed to get a Lambda SUT at one point? Hopefully that plan hasn't been reinstated since Saturn can't even sell the Outlook as is.

It just seems redundant to cancel the GMC version because it will compete with the Chevrolet and then introduce a Cadillac version that will likely compete with the Enclave. (Because I don't think Lambda can do much better than the Enclave, honestly) But then, the logical course of action would be to utilize the already engineered and excellent Zeta platform or SigZeta to base a Cadillac SUV on. But GM in it's perpetual ignorance won't have that.

Maybe GMC will become simply a truck brand now and will take on the role of offering true BOF trucks and SUVs. Those people who want a BOF luxury truck can maybe still buy a Yukon Denali (Since it generally has better demographics than the Escalade anyway) and maybe those people who want a rugged little SUV from Hummer will now be able to go to the GMC store instead (If *when* Hummer is sold)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Sorry, but for the good of the company, I do hope this is a sign of the end of GMC. It will free up money to give other brands the attention they need.

Once again;

How is eliminating GMC GOOD for the company?

It'll create HUGE negative PR, phase out GM's once (and maybe still) 2nd best selling division and deprive the company of an outlet that requires MINIMAL investment yet returns HUGE profit. Not to mention, GMC enjoys a VERY good image in comparison to pretty much any other GM division this side of Saturn, and that's only because Saturn DOESN'T HAVE AN IMAGE.

In the 'elite' families (You know, the people who buy Lexus cars) it is VERY likely that you will find GMC trucks. GMC and it's marketing have been HUGELY successful at pulling in a clientele that typically would NOT buy GM. At one time it was the TOP import conquest division at GM.

The positives to keeping the division vastly outweigh the positives to phasing it out.

Consider that in the current climate the Lambda's are probably too big, and I don't think it signifies anything.

Once again;

How is eliminating GMC GOOD for the company?

It'll create HUGE negative PR, phase out GM's once (and maybe still) 2nd best selling division and deprive the company of an outlet that requires MINIMAL investment yet returns HUGE profit. Not to mention, GMC enjoys a VERY good image in comparison to pretty much any other GM division this side of Saturn, and that's only because Saturn DOESN'T HAVE AN IMAGE.

In the 'elite' families (You know, the people who buy Lexus cars) it is VERY likely that you will find GMC trucks. GMC and it's marketing have been HUGELY successful at pulling in a clientele that typically would NOT buy GM. At one time it was the TOP import conquest division at GM.

The positives to keeping the division vastly outweigh the positives to phasing it out.

Cutting a brand like GMC will focus money and resources. Fact is that in its heyday, GMC reached buyers that Chevy couldn't, but now with the truck market shrinking like crazy, I'd bet the combo of Chevy, Buick and Caddy can pretty much cover for GMC. - When GM dedicates the cash and resources to doing a product right, they've shown the ability to truly amaze (Malibu, CTS, Enclave, Etc.) However, GM is strapped for cash right now and simply doesn't have enough of it to give their full product lineup enough attention to turn things around. So, they've been hodgepodging lineups and it's not working. They're also shorting some vehicles on fit & finish. Cutting GMC will free up cash to in the near-term and long-term to refocus their efforts. Add to that the fact that you get to redistribute GMC's marketing budget elsewhere.

GMC needs a more focused line-up what about just doing Denali Trucks and SUV's?

The Acadia is obviously unneeded with the Traverse coming. GMC is unneeded in the first place, though. Seriously, it is time for it to go. The Chevy LTZ's are nearly as nice as the Denali's and I see no reason why they can't make a Z71-like package but not aimed towards being off-roadsy for Denali customers. The Acadia would have been the only vehicle with a real future ahead of it in GMC's lineup, besides maybe the Sierra.

But what can help prop up the former GMC sales channel, with Buick and Pontiac (or possibly Saturn) left? Would Buick - Pontiac - Saturn work? (If I understand correctly, Saturn doesn't automatically move in - it's only if it's a certain distance from another Saturn store, right?)

Didn't I tell you Saturn would be merged with Buick, I even said it a few weeks ago when I outlined what I would do if I was CEO of GM. All I said will come to pass, the TICK-TOCK clock is ticking.

Oh great salami... I mean, swami... :P Yes, I recall. I was trying to make conversation with the masses and see what everyone thinks.

Didn't I tell you Saturn would be merged with Buick, I even said it a few weeks ago when I outlined what I would do if I was CEO of GM. All I said will come to pass, the TICK-TOCK clock is ticking.

Yeah, tick-tock for all of GM.

:nono:

Yeah, tick-tock for all of GM.

:nono:

Indeed that is the case if Pontiac is muscled out of there along with GMC.

By the way, want to see my latest investment in light of recent news?

8473-thumb.jpg

Now I just need to plunder a junkyard for a Mark of Excellence badge to stick on there somewhere. I think between the "tick" and the "tock" would be just right. :smilewide:

Edited by YellowJacket894

Does that Ticker-Tock clock have a body by Fisher... or Fissure? :lol2:

Does that mean we can kiss any chance of seeing this bad boy come to fruition 'goodbye'? :(

It would've even made a nice Lambda.

Edited by Captainbooyah

Does that Ticker-Tock clock have a body by Fisher... or Fissure? :lol2:

I don't know. All I know is that I bought it on sale at Target for the cheap price of $5.99, excluding sales tax, which means it was probably made right down the street from the plant that builds that nifty Chinese LaCrosse we all like so well here. :smilewide:

Does that mean we can kiss any chance of seeing this bad boy come to fruition 'goodbye'? :(

It would've even made a nice Lambda.

Speaking of which, I think now is a good time to Follow Honda's lead with the who Unibody pickup...just make it, you know, not hideous and make it actually capable of towing more than a feather. Unibody pickups may be what saves the truck segment, or at least what people who don't use their trucks for hard work buy.

That being said, I always liked the Rampage.

dodge_rampage_manu-06_01.jpg

Unibody pickups can be useful and, you know, an actual truck. Jeep built the proof of this:

jeep_mj.jpg

I think it's a shame that many here want to rid GM of another storied and historical GM division (remember that GMC got its start in 1902, with "GMC" showing up almost a decade later on the 1911 trucks). However, look at what that did for Oldsmobile :rolleyes:

I guess if GM listens to the words shared here on C&G, I'll see my favorite brand join the ranks of Oldsmobile & Plymouth. It just means that no matter the cost of gas is, I'll petition GMAC to cancel my AURA lease early so I can buy the Sierra I've always wanted. I'll keep it forever and never look to GM for my truck needs.

It would be nice if GMC could become the heavy-duty workhorse for GM's commerical market, leaving Chevrolet to offer the BOF pickups and SUVs, and at the same time allow GMC to offer the innovative trucks for the non-commercial market ("green" crossovers and unibody trucks, such as the Denali XT concept). I do like that PCS stated in the "GM is Burning Cash" thread that he'd keep GMC around and pair it with Buick; I take that to mean that GMC would remain as an upscale truck manufacturer.

Time will tell what is to become of my favorite GM brand/division <_<

I think it's a shame that many here want to rid GM of another storied and historical GM division (remember that GMC got its start in 1902, with "GMC" showing up almost a decade later on the 1911 trucks). However, look at what that did for Oldsmobile :rolleyes:

Historic division yes, but one that has been diluted for a long time.

Take any '90s Chevy, swap the grille and badging, and presto: GMC.

Its only very recently that some effort has been made to make GMC more visually unique (GMT900 Sierra) and give it new product (Acadia).

Oldsmobile had a whole lineup of unique (except Silhouette), up-to-date cars. The (GMT360) Bravada and second gen Aurora were brand spanking new when the axe fell.

Historic division yes, but one that has been diluted for a long time.

Take any '90s Chevy, swap the grille and badging, and presto: GMC.

Its only very recently that some effort has been made to make GMC more visually unique (GMT900 Sierra) and give it new product (Acadia).

Oldsmobile had a whole lineup of unique (except Silhouette), up-to-date cars. The (GMT360) Bravada and second gen Aurora were brand spanking new when the axe fell.

Yeah, and that Aurora was being reviewed as GM's best midsize car, and only with the Malibu and (to a lesser extent) Aura was it surpassed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0