Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gmcbob

First "in the wild" Hyundai Genesis Sighting

48 posts in this topic

Never really thought I'd be posting this, but I saw my first Genesis last night at a "Bistro" here in Houston. It was backed against the valet parking wall (along with all the other nice Toyotas, Lexus', Infinitis, Bimmers, etc, hahahaha!) and I could see it outside the window we were standing by.

This is a bad photo - it was taken at night with a camera phone, but you can tell what it is.

I couldn't help but think as I stood by the window more or less inspecting this car; how in the world did Hyundai pull this off? Hyundai, maker of copy cat, lackluster Korean cars with a somewhat laughable reputation in America, has designed a rear wheel drive V8 luxury sedan (that is an obvious knock off of an M45), built it, marketed it, shipped them in droves to America, and bamboozled someone into paying $40,000 for it. :scratchchin:

HyundaiGenesis.jpg

I really hate to admit this, but I actually did find it to be a pretty nice looking car (especially from the angle I was looking at it from). The front end looks stupid though, I'm not sure what they were going for with that grille. But it does look too much like an Infiniti.

Edited by gmcbob

>>"This is a bad photo.... but you can tell what it is."<<

You've GOT to be kidding; and no one is going to know what it is with their own eyes in broad daylight!

Generica 101.

I saw one a couple days ago at the local Hyundai dealership as I drove by. Didn't pay too much attention to it.

I've seen the same one twice on the road... at first I thought it was a 1st-gen Acura RL, then a Lexus LS, but then realized it was the Genesis. Everything about the car looks nice except the grille is hideous. I'm still not comfortable giving Hyundai over $40k for a vehicle, and probably never will be...

Hardly anyone felt comfortable giving hyundai whatever the azera cost- genesis should be a fraction of that.

>>"This is a bad photo.... but you can tell what it is."<<

You've GOT to be kidding; and no one is going to know what it is with their own eyes in broad daylight!

Generica 101.

All right, you can tell what it is after I give someone the hint that it's a car, outside of a window, called a Hyundai Genesis. :smilewide:

My neighbor is selling his immaculate and loaded '06 GS300 for $30K... I'd much rather buy that over a base Genesis.

I'm usually not a fan of Lexus, but I do like the GS. It's not boy racer like the IS, real estate agent like the RX, or geriatric like the LS. It's exceptionally comfortable and plush inside, yet it's a proper, well-engineered RWD luxury sedan, not some glorified Camry like the ES.

The grille is the most disappointing and nasty part of the Genesis.

The grille is the most disappointing and nasty part of the Genesis.

Ya, I know, eh?

It looks like Klingon head ridges.

saw one on the road the other day. reminded me of a rebuke I've wanted to post at balthazar, how right I was on how much BMW/Bangles has influenced current design in so many ways, at so many car companies, and yet he posted a little rolling on the floor icon without much of any explanation. I could sit here and post at least ten pictures and give concise reasoning and examples why I was so right, and that laughter that was so condescending and inappropriate, and ironically as time goes on, being proven wrong again and again. I just don't have the time, and am content enough knowing I see the truth.

the car has an athletic stance borrowed from the 5-series, and a rear end that is Bangle influenced, again 5-series.

Edited by turbo200

Ya, I know, eh?

It looks like Klingon head ridges.

:rotflmao:

So true!

ny_hyundai_genesis.jpg

The comcept had a decent grille, apparently they were afraid to put their own logo on the grille. :huh:

Edited by fightingbee

I've driven both the base V6 (33k) and a V8 (42k with tech package) Genesis plus I've driven every type of Lucerne other than a super (the last CXS is priced like a base V6 Genesis) every type of DTS and both DI and non DI CTS and STS plus the Lincoln MKZ and the new MKS and I'll say that of those cars only the CTS has anything on this car and that is mostly asthetic. I know many of you will say I should be comparing this to a Benz Beemer Audi Lexus Infiniti Acura etc but I think the real conquest cars will be the lux and near lux domestics (due to brand loyalty with the German and Japanese lux and near lux cars).

ny_hyundai_genesis.jpg

The comcept had a decent grille, apparently they were afraid to put their own logo on the grille. :huh:

There is a large chrome Hyundai badge on the deck lid and another one in chrome on the steering wheel.

It is admirable in a way that Hyundai didn't feel the need to do any badge "slight of hand" for us "dumb 'mericans" the way Honda Toyota and Nissan did.

Edited by Zora A.

Hyundai isn't the first to do away with badges. In fact, there were NO exterior Buick badges on Riviera's.. How about Oldsmobile Aurora's? There are other examples..

Unfortunately, Hyundai makes a better full-size luxury car than Lincoln or Cadillac. That's a REAL shame. Hyundai has outclassed Cadillac at it's own game.. Unfreakingreal. It pisses me off. But facts are facts.

Hyundai isn't the first to do away with badges. In fact, there were NO exterior Buick badges on Riviera's.. How about Oldsmobile Aurora's? There are other examples..

Unfortunately, Hyundai makes a better full-size luxury car than Lincoln or Cadillac. That's a REAL shame. Hyundai has outclassed Cadillac at it's own game.. Unfreakingreal. It pisses me off. But facts are facts.

Agreed. I sat in a Genesis and it was nice, it wasn't even the top of the line version. I am curious as to how they drive.

turbo200- >>"...and that laughter that was so condescending and inappropriate, and ironically as time goes on, being proven wrong again and again. I just don't have the time, and am content enough knowing I see the truth."<<

I... did not... realize... that you were such the delicate flower. Let's hug.

-- -- -- -- --

Bangled bmws utilize the far-fetched named 'flame surfacing' which blended hard-edges character lines within amorphous envelopes. The profile shows zero character lines, and there's nothing I see (and i see nearly 100 BMWs daily) influenced by Bangle- even the hood reveal evoks Lincoln rather than BMW. Perhaps you were referring to the interior....

I still see a shapeless, generic blob with no design language other than maybe a few minor cribbed cues. $40 grand for complete anonymity?? I just don't see it.

Is the azera dead, or are these 2 going to be fighting for buyers in the same showroom?

Edited by balthazar

I still see a shapeless, generic blob with no design language other than maybe a few minor cribbed cues. $40 grand for complete anonymity?? I just don't see it.

Is the azera dead, or are these 2 going to be fighting for buyers in the same showroom?

It is bland, but it is well equipped and performs well. Cadillac, Acura, Lincoln, Volvo, Lexus, etc don't have a 375 hp V8 and 17 speaker stereo for $40 grand. Genesis is a great car in a boring package.

I think the Azera is supposed to go away when it's life cycle runs out, but it is $7,000 less than a base Genesis and front drive vs rear drive, so that isn't much overlap. Especially compared to the Malibu and Impala or Acadia/Enclave intra-dealership competition.

It is bland, but it is well equipped and performs well. Cadillac, Acura, Lincoln, Volvo, Lexus, etc don't have a 375 hp V8 and 17 speaker stereo for $40 grand. Genesis is a great car in a boring package.

I think the Azera is supposed to go away when it's life cycle runs out, but it is $7,000 less than a base Genesis and front drive vs rear drive, so that isn't much overlap. Especially compared to the Malibu and Impala or Acadia/Enclave intra-dealership competition.

Put some port holes on the front fenders, Buick badges, and waterfall grille and everyone here would be going ga-ga over it.

Put some port holes on the front fenders, Buick badges, and waterfall grille and everyone here would be going ga-ga over it.

Aint that the truth! :P

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0