Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Why does racism still exist?

capriceman

Today 3 guys and me had to fly to Chicago. We are working political security so we do have some equipment to bring. The one guy is Lebanese so he has a middle east complexion. Us four are walking into the building we are all wearing an urban camo type outfit and 50 ID tags and Silver police type badge. We have hip holsters with pistols in them and clips on the other side and a Taser gun on our belts. We all had 2 gun cases and we set them down and start talking. Then out of know where 8 security guards come up and start questioning Camel (the Lebanese guy). They were relentless too, They totally ignored all 3 of us right next to him dressed exactly the same. We really start to get into these rent-a-cops face and they let off but apparently a lady called security and said a terrorist was walking around with guns in the terminal.

I still don't understand racism. maybe someone can explain it to me but why do people think middle east guys are always terrorist. I'm still upset about it too. damn near missed the flight because of it.

Why does racism still exist?

two words:

CLAYTON BIGSBY!

Also.... stupidity is a dominant gene.

I think racism will be mostly gone in a couple more generations (here in the US at least). My grandparents are/were sorta racist (mostly just my grandpa on my dad's side though). My parents aren't really racist but my mom instantly says something like "I think we're driving into a bad neighborhood" whenever she sees more than one black person on the street. For most my age, race isn't an issue anymore. We were taught to treat others equally in school, we didn't have parents that were overtly racist, and popular culture like movies and music has exposed us to a lot more diversity.

I'm guessing this lady was probably older, likely above 50, and probably doesn't get out much.

racism is just a bad experience associated to a group of similarly traited people. until people become individualistic, aka base their feelings/actions on people after they at least interact with the individual, not stereotyping.

MLK wrote about this idea in his letters from Birmingham jail.

Racism cannot be eradicated until it becomes a non-issue. There are still far too many lines drawn by race, even those drawn supposedly in an effort to ease racism.

jesse jackson needs to end his public life and keep to himself...along with several "ministers" of faiths, white and black.

racism is just a bad experience associated to a group of similarly traited people. until people become individualistic, aka base their feelings/actions on people after they at least interact with the individual, not stereotyping.

MLK wrote about this idea in his letters from Birmingham jail.

That's a great theory, but judging a book by its cover is deeply imprinted in our genes. Would you walk up to a fat, dumpy girl in a bar and talk to her? I didn't think so. She's probably a 'nice girl,' though. Even my dog steers clear of pitbulls and rotweillers - he has learned that from experience, but he will bound up to golden labs or retreivers. We cannot enforce social engineering policies in a generation or two - not when we are up against 100,000 years of evolution. It's a lofty goal, but it is going to take a long, long time. Racial profiling, age profiling, health & beauty profiling - we do it every day, consciously or not.

I'm taking the dimmer view that racism is going to increase as our world gets 'smaller.' I think there are two poles of tolerance: 1) people who come from cities/areas where their own culture is by far dominant will feel that 'ethnics' are fun and add 'flavor' to the area, so they will be very tolerant of other cultures when they come across them, and 2) people who come from cities/areas where their own culture is vastly outnumbered or at least in the minority, are likely to have either broken down their own resistance or given up.

It's the in-between group that are the real issue. It's people (myself included) who started off not caring about other cultures one way or the other, but then slowly realizing that some cultures are not meant to co-exist - no matter how much we may wish that they could.

I have to admit that there was a time, say 20 years ago, when I rarely gave the issue a thought, but as I see entire neighborhoods that I grew up being transformed (and not in a good way) and shootings in schools that were unheard of when I went to those same schools 30 years ago, I find my attitudes changing. I wonder how many people on this board who are in their late teens, early twenties will feel the same way in another 20 years.

i know it's instinct, but that's what being "civilized" means mostly, to beable to restrict ones self to not doing "bad" impulsive things.

No, in most cases it just means 'it's not done.' Isn't that what PC is all about?

We have a unique set of circumstances in the West that has never happened before in history: we are too busy trying to accomodate everyone else, to include everyone, but we don't realize that what we are really doing is hastening our own demise. Europe and a very few of her former colonies are the richest, most successful cultures that have ever existed in the history of humanity. Virtually every technological and scientific advance have come out of them. They have reached heights not even dreamed of only a few generations ago, yet we are now so embarassed by our success that we are drowning in our own apologies and attempts at restitution for perceived 'wrongs' of our ancestors.

It will be very interesting to see who is writing the history books at the end of this century.

Also.... stupidity is a dominant gene.

This is True!!

Today we arrested a small group of protesters at Gerald Fords burial site For wearing KKK outfits and holding we support Obama signs while McCain and Palin were visiting. When this came over the radio I think everyone laughed and thought it was a joke. But Lo and Behold There were 3 idiots doing this.

This is True!!

Today we arrested a small group of protesters at Gerald Fords burial site For wearing KKK outfits and holding we support Obama signs while McCain and Palin were visiting. When this came over the radio I think everyone laughed and thought it was a joke. But Lo and Behold There were 3 idiots doing this.

What charges were they arrested on??? was the graveyard private property?

What charges were they arrested on??? was the graveyard private property?

I don't know. We made the arrest and then hand them over to local police and witness give statements and such. We did that so there was no big scene but as far as i know i think they were probably released because I don't think they were breaking any laws. Before we moved on they were being given breathalyzers.

I dont know a single white person who wouldn't crack up laughing if they were actually called a Honkey.

When I told my mom that Springfield was named one of the 10 worst places to raise a family, she asked why. I told her it was because of the crappy schools and all the honkys. That got a laugh.

When I told my mom that Springfield was named one of the 10 worst places to raise a family, she asked why. I told her it was because of the crappy schools and all the honkys. That got a laugh.

I dunno if you are being seriosu or not, so if not pardon my ignorance, but I thought it was ranked well?

For the third year in a row, America's Promise Alliance in 2008 ranked Springfield as a "100 Best Community for Young People" [5]. "The 2008 100 Best Communities for Young People includes cities and small towns located across the United States that are wonderful places for youth to live and grow up."

From wiki

Linkypoo

The 10 Worst Places to Raise a Family (from best to worst)

10 Springfield, Missouri

9 Dayton, Ohio

8 Corpus Christi, Texas

7 Flint, Michigan — Country's highest violent-crime rate

6 Columbia, South Carolina

5 Waco, Texas

4 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

3 Fayetteville, North Carolina

2 Beaumont, Texas — Long-standing air-quality challenges

1 Clarksville, Tennessee — Low educational spending: $6,729 per

Its the Bible Belt, a parent is irresponsible if they subject their child to this place without offering them knowledge of the outside worlds, which many people around here do not do.

Well, from a southerner's point of view race down here is still an issue. I don't really give a rats ass what color you are, just as long as you are a good person. If you don't have at least some home training (lets face it a number of people don't) then I choose not to associate with you, while that doesn't make me racist, I know it makes me prejudice, which everyone is prejudice to a certain extent no matter what. Race is something that everyone is always going to bring up when they feel they've been wronged, the only downside is that there are enough bleeding hearts and ambulance chasers out there that will latch onto them and give them another voice to be heard that makes it bad for everyday joes like y'all and I. If we could take out those that always call foul even when there isn't one, then it might at least quiet problems such as what you were talking about down a good bit. Then again, I have a simple way of viewing things, and believe me its not PC.

Just be thankful you don't live up here where every Province has their own Human Rights codes and tribunals. There is a very amusing book that I read a few months ago, called America Alone, by Mark Steyn.

Get this: a group of Muslims from Ontario got together and filed a complain with the Alberta Human Rights Commission when Macleans magazine published a few excerpts from Mark's book. Two or three years later,the tribunal reluctantly decided there was no basis for a complaint under the 'hate speech' laws. It cost the taxpayers in Alberta over a half million dollars to hold the hearings. It cost Mark and Macleans more than $100k to defend themselves and it cost the group of offended Muslims ZIP to make the filing.

The greatest irony in all this, is one of Mark's chapters deal with the issue that the Muslims cherry-pick which Western institutions suit them. They want their polygamous/misogynist sharia laws, but don't hesitate to tear a page out of the gay rights movement's playbook in suing anyone who looks cross-eyed at Islam.

Anyone out there want to grab a copy of the book, it is both amusing and scary as hell. Some of Mark's figures are exaggerated, but the crux of his thesis is frightening: the West has a negative birthrate and most of our immigration is coming from 'poor' Muslim and Asian countries. Fast forward 20, 30 years and our laws and institutions will be under seige by peoples who don't necessary share our Western affections for democracy and 'liberalisms.'

Anyone out there want to grab a copy of the book, it is both amusing and scary as hell. Some of Mark's figures are exaggerated, but the crux of his thesis is frightening: the West has a negative birthrate and most of our immigration is coming from 'poor' Muslim and Asian countries. Fast forward 20, 30 years and our laws and institutions will be under seige by peoples who don't necessary share our Western affections for democracy and 'liberalisms.'

...and look at us now... could a son of a muslim just be the crack in the dam for this possible future?

not a racist comment... just trying to be realistic with the provided info.

Well, I'm really torn on this issue.

From reading your post, he was WITH you guys.....so the lady overreacted.....it's not like you guys were a whole group of middle-easterners acting strange like that group that was kicked off a flight recently....

But on the general topic of profiling as it regards airline security, It seems that we face a real threat from islamic extremists......and unfortunately, it just happens that the vast majority of islamic extremists (at least those that have SO FAR threatened our national security) are of middle-eastern descent. In that case, as sad is it sounds, I think increased screening of people of middle-eastern descent is something that should be tolerated.

It gets down to our safety and security. We've been had before, and thousands of people have paid the price. And there's no argument that these extremists want us dead. It's tough for me to say these words, because I'm about as un-racist as a person can be......and I have many middle-eastern friends myself. However, I don't think anyone in support of this increased screening feels that way simply because they are "racist."

Maybe I'm off my rocker.....

But I do feel that in your situation, it was WAY overblown.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow. Just wow. I went to get my pads and rotors this morning. Instead of going to Autozone, I went to O'Reillys because it was closer. I tell the guy what I need and he says, "Oh, thats one of them big 'ol n****r cars." I walked out and went elsewhere.

Wow. Just wow. I went to get my pads and rotors this morning. Instead of going to Autozone, I went to O'Reillys because it was closer. I tell the guy what I need and he says, "Oh, thats one of them big 'ol n****r cars." I walked out and went elsewhere.

DOUBLE OUCH for someone to link a car type to race. Stupid people.

In regards to Oreo's, I like mine to be Double Stuffed. :neenerneener:

That would be a punch in the mouth. :angry: