capriceman

Why does racism still exist?

62 posts in this topic

Today 3 guys and me had to fly to Chicago. We are working political security so we do have some equipment to bring. The one guy is Lebanese so he has a middle east complexion. Us four are walking into the building we are all wearing an urban camo type outfit and 50 ID tags and Silver police type badge. We have hip holsters with pistols in them and clips on the other side and a Taser gun on our belts. We all had 2 gun cases and we set them down and start talking. Then out of know where 8 security guards come up and start questioning Camel (the Lebanese guy). They were relentless too, They totally ignored all 3 of us right next to him dressed exactly the same. We really start to get into these rent-a-cops face and they let off but apparently a lady called security and said a terrorist was walking around with guns in the terminal.

I still don't understand racism. maybe someone can explain it to me but why do people think middle east guys are always terrorist. I'm still upset about it too. damn near missed the flight because of it.

I feel safer if I see people at the airport with guns.

It's only logical.

That lady FTL.

Yeah, because terrorists totally walk around in military style get-up, and pack a ton of ID, and an arsenal of weapons that everyone can see. :rolleyes:

What a bitch.

Why does racism still exist?

two words:

CLAYTON BIGSBY!

I would have gone all jihad on her ass right on the spot. Nobody messes with my Lesbian friends!

Also.... stupidity is a dominant gene.

I think racism will be mostly gone in a couple more generations (here in the US at least). My grandparents are/were sorta racist (mostly just my grandpa on my dad's side though). My parents aren't really racist but my mom instantly says something like "I think we're driving into a bad neighborhood" whenever she sees more than one black person on the street. For most my age, race isn't an issue anymore. We were taught to treat others equally in school, we didn't have parents that were overtly racist, and popular culture like movies and music has exposed us to a lot more diversity.

I'm guessing this lady was probably older, likely above 50, and probably doesn't get out much.

Yep Cap, they are still that stupid here...

I almost watched a fight break out in Dearborn Heights yesterday over name calling....

Racism cannot be eradicated until it becomes a non-issue. There are still far too many lines drawn by race, even those drawn supposedly in an effort to ease racism.

racism is just a bad experience associated to a group of similarly traited people. until people become individualistic, aka base their feelings/actions on people after they at least interact with the individual, not stereotyping.

MLK wrote about this idea in his letters from Birmingham jail.

Racism cannot be eradicated until it becomes a non-issue. There are still far too many lines drawn by race, even those drawn supposedly in an effort to ease racism.

jesse jackson needs to end his public life and keep to himself...along with several "ministers" of faiths, white and black.

racism is just a bad experience associated to a group of similarly traited people. until people become individualistic, aka base their feelings/actions on people after they at least interact with the individual, not stereotyping.

MLK wrote about this idea in his letters from Birmingham jail.

That's a great theory, but judging a book by its cover is deeply imprinted in our genes. Would you walk up to a fat, dumpy girl in a bar and talk to her? I didn't think so. She's probably a 'nice girl,' though. Even my dog steers clear of pitbulls and rotweillers - he has learned that from experience, but he will bound up to golden labs or retreivers. We cannot enforce social engineering policies in a generation or two - not when we are up against 100,000 years of evolution. It's a lofty goal, but it is going to take a long, long time. Racial profiling, age profiling, health & beauty profiling - we do it every day, consciously or not.

I'm taking the dimmer view that racism is going to increase as our world gets 'smaller.' I think there are two poles of tolerance: 1) people who come from cities/areas where their own culture is by far dominant will feel that 'ethnics' are fun and add 'flavor' to the area, so they will be very tolerant of other cultures when they come across them, and 2) people who come from cities/areas where their own culture is vastly outnumbered or at least in the minority, are likely to have either broken down their own resistance or given up.

It's the in-between group that are the real issue. It's people (myself included) who started off not caring about other cultures one way or the other, but then slowly realizing that some cultures are not meant to co-exist - no matter how much we may wish that they could.

I have to admit that there was a time, say 20 years ago, when I rarely gave the issue a thought, but as I see entire neighborhoods that I grew up being transformed (and not in a good way) and shootings in schools that were unheard of when I went to those same schools 30 years ago, I find my attitudes changing. I wonder how many people on this board who are in their late teens, early twenties will feel the same way in another 20 years.

i know it's instinct, but that's what being "civilized" means mostly, to beable to restrict ones self to not doing "bad" impulsive things.

Most people are still racists, they just wont admit it... although people from the younger generations are definitely less apt to be racist.

i know it's instinct, but that's what being "civilized" means mostly, to beable to restrict ones self to not doing "bad" impulsive things.

No, in most cases it just means 'it's not done.' Isn't that what PC is all about?

We have a unique set of circumstances in the West that has never happened before in history: we are too busy trying to accomodate everyone else, to include everyone, but we don't realize that what we are really doing is hastening our own demise. Europe and a very few of her former colonies are the richest, most successful cultures that have ever existed in the history of humanity. Virtually every technological and scientific advance have come out of them. They have reached heights not even dreamed of only a few generations ago, yet we are now so embarassed by our success that we are drowning in our own apologies and attempts at restitution for perceived 'wrongs' of our ancestors.

It will be very interesting to see who is writing the history books at the end of this century.

It could be very scary to see who is writing the history books at the end of this century.

fixed.

or it will be all chronicled on the internet, if it still exists.

Also.... stupidity is a dominant gene.

This is True!!

Today we arrested a small group of protesters at Gerald Fords burial site For wearing KKK outfits and holding we support Obama signs while McCain and Palin were visiting. When this came over the radio I think everyone laughed and thought it was a joke. But Lo and Behold There were 3 idiots doing this.

This is True!!

Today we arrested a small group of protesters at Gerald Fords burial site For wearing KKK outfits and holding we support Obama signs while McCain and Palin were visiting. When this came over the radio I think everyone laughed and thought it was a joke. But Lo and Behold There were 3 idiots doing this.

What charges were they arrested on??? was the graveyard private property?

What charges were they arrested on??? was the graveyard private property?

I don't know. We made the arrest and then hand them over to local police and witness give statements and such. We did that so there was no big scene but as far as i know i think they were probably released because I don't think they were breaking any laws. Before we moved on they were being given breathalyzers.

Was it random or someone you knew?

Someone I know, but not someone that I would expect to throw out a random slur.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor