Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

New Buick Regal in China

ToniCipriani

...it's an Insignia with a new nose.

http://jalopnik.com/5051872/first-pictures...is-backin-china

If China can get the Insignia 4-door as a Buick, why can't North America get the 5-door as a Pontiac? Sure hell looks better than the re-nosed current one or a rebadged Malibu...

Because Pontiac will never get any Opel variants.

Pontiac is getting a rebadge of the next Chevrolet Malibu.

That's stupid. Another lame decision like the G3. I thought GM was getting past the rebadging nonsense in the US...I guess not.

Edited by moltar

...it's an Insignia with a new nose.

How will this be marketed in China: below the LaCrosse? I'd say the 2 cars are too close to one another for the US market, but do you guys think it could work? :scratchchin:

Edited by ZL-1

How will this be marketed in China: below the LaCrosse? I'd say the 2 cars are too close to one another for the US market, but do you guys think it could work? :scratchchin:

It could work if they marketed the Insignia based car as a "4-door coupe" and the Invicta based design as a midsize sedan. My guess would be that the Insignia based model would have less passenger/cargo room due to its shorter wheelbase and coupe-like profile. The Invicta based design seems to be more upright and appears as though it will have passenger/cargo room similar to more mainstream midsize sedan models (as well as a longer wheelbase). Maybe the Insignia based car could be used to try to draw younger buyers into Buick showrooms.

I personally think the Insignia sedan would make a nice Pontiac Grand Prix, but PCS has already stated that it will never happen.

Edited by cire

• 2 weeks later...

Looks better as a Buick than as an Opel. Still not a fan, though. The side vent looks terrible. Can we please have some portholes instead?

I don't care what anybody says, this car STILL looks like an effing Malibu rip-off to me.

Whoop-te-do... It's a Malibu with a melted euro ass and a glued in Lincoln grille.

The actual MALIBU looks better, and hopefully the 'second ever' G6 will too.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

American Buick enthusiasts are too informed on the world market. There would have to be more changes to Buick DNA to make it work. The Insignia/Aura door crease and vent would have to go. I'm holding out final approval on the headlight pod. The chrome bar on the trunk lid seems garrish and out of place. The tail lights could pass in view of the Enclave and Invicta.

My first choice for placement of the Insignia would be to put it in Pontiac's lineup as a modern day Grand Prix (I hate the alpha-numeric G based model designations) to replace the awkward G6. Since this is not going to happen (I believe GM is planning to eventually kill off Pontiac, unfortunately), my second choice would be to put it in Buick's lineup to slot below the upcoming LWB Eps II based LaCrosse (just like they plan on doing in China). I think the Insignia based car could be used to draw younger buyers into Buick dealerships (who might not be as concerned about ventiports and sweepspears) while the LWB Eps II based LaCrosse could be used to draw in traditional Buick customers. I see the arrangement between the SWB Eps II car (Insignia) and LWB Eps II car (LaCrosse) mirroring the relationship of the TSX and TL in Acura's lineup (except the Buick products would look much nicer than the hideous Acuras).

Since Bob Lutz has claimed that the next gen Aura will be quite different from the Insignia, GM needs to find a home for this nice looking sedan in the U.S. It would be a real shame if GM didn't bring it over here.

I think the Insignia based car could be used to draw younger buyers into Buick dealerships (who might not be as concerned about ventiports and sweepspears) while the LWB Eps II based LaCrosse could be used to draw in traditional Buick customers. I see the arrangement between the SWB Eps II car (Insignia) and LWB Eps II car (LaCrosse) mirroring the relationship of the TSX and TL in Acura's lineup (except the Buick products would look much nicer than the hideous Acuras).

I agree with your logic here, I just simply don't agree with badge engineering and lack of concern for Buick styling. Buick has evolved into a division where these short cuts would only dilute the progress they have made rebuilding the brand. Each offering should be unique and consistent with Buick standards.

My first choice for placement of the Insignia would be to put it in Pontiac's lineup as a modern day Grand Prix (I hate the alpha-numeric G based model designations) to replace the awkward G6. Since this is not going to happen (I believe GM is planning to eventually kill off Pontiac, unfortunately), my second choice would be to put it in Buick's lineup to slot below the upcoming LWB Eps II based LaCrosse (just like they plan on doing in China). I think the Insignia based car could be used to draw younger buyers into Buick dealerships (who might not be as concerned about ventiports and sweepspears) while the LWB Eps II based LaCrosse could be used to draw in traditional Buick customers. I see the arrangement between the SWB Eps II car (Insignia) and LWB Eps II car (LaCrosse) mirroring the relationship of the TSX and TL in Acura's lineup (except the Buick products would look much nicer than the hideous Acuras).

Since Bob Lutz has claimed that the next gen Aura will be quite different from the Insignia, GM needs to find a home for this nice looking sedan in the U.S. It would be a real shame if GM didn't bring it over here.

Your suggestion will attract PCS to make an angry post on how Pontiac should not get and will not get GME products.

(Aside: I don't agree with "awkward" G6, it's easily one of the better looking in its class, and in fact the G6 doesn't replace the Grand Prix.)

(I hate the alpha-numeric G based model designations)

Pontiac G-Spot would be a nice name :smilewide:

Re where this fits in the NA lineup... I don't really know, although I do like seeing it wearing a waterfall grille... As a slightly smaller and cheaper Buick it might work, but to me that would mean no NG Aura. As a NG Saturn Aura it would mean no smaller Buick unless that Buick rode on DeltaII... But then wouldn't there be too much of a gap between a DeltaII Buick and a LWB EpsilonII? Managing GM's portfolio in NA in a shrinking/stagnant market isn't easy...

Edited by ZL-1

Your suggestion will attract PCS to make an angry post on how Pontiac should not get and will not get GME products.

(Aside: I don't agree with "awkward" G6, it's easily one of the better looking in its class, and in fact the G6 doesn't replace the Grand Prix.)

Contrary to what my original post may have indicated, I do realize that the G6 didn't replace the Grand Prix in Pontiac's lineup; the G6 was intended to replace the Grand Am. Upon reading my original post, I do understand why you would have thought that I had made that error. I only intended for GM to resurrect the "Grand Prix" name for a Pontiac version of the Opel Insignia. The phrase "modern day Grand Prix" that I used in the original post was a little misleading and inappropriate as the resulting car would be much different than any past versions of the Grand Prix. It doesn't really matter anyway, since GM and some other sources have made it perfectly clear that Pontiac will never receive any Opel products.

The G6 sedan still looks awkward to me. I can't quite explain why, but it just does. To me, the Aura and Malibu LWB Eps I platform mates that followed this car to market are much more attractive and cohesive designs. Styling is very subjective though and everyone has their own idea of what is attractive or a well executed design.

If you get a chance, see my thoughts concerning the Insignia in the Pontiac "automotive news....." thread......

:scratchchin:

A Chevy Insignia... Intriguing... :scratchchin:

EDIT - Re your comment about a Chevy-Cadillac brand structure, as sad as that would be (the demise of my Saab, Opel and the other brands), could be something real in the future if GM keeps losing market share or starts losing volume.

Edited by ZL-1

I agree with your logic here, I just simply don't agree with badge engineering and lack of concern for Buick styling. Buick has evolved into a division where these short cuts would only dilute the progress they have made rebuilding the brand. Each offering should be unique and consistent with Buick standards.

I agree with what you are saying if market conditions were perfect and GM were financially able to do this. Unfortunately, neither one is a reality at this time. I don't think a rebadged Insignia would hurt Buick's image at all, as long as the rebadged Insignia remains a Buick exclusive in the U.S. (as well as China). The scenario you presented would be preferable, but GM is simply not in the position to follow that direction at the moment.

Technically, isn't Saturn getting the Opel Insignia?

Although elsewhere has stated that it will feature different styling and interior, and if that's the case, what is the point to all of this?

Buick most likely will NOT get the Insignia stateside because another brand will already have it and I don't think that Buick needs two Epsilon cars of the same size.

Technically, isn't Saturn getting the Opel Insignia?

Although elsewhere has stated that it will feature different styling and interior, and if that's the case, what is the point to all of this?

Saturn Aura = Different exterior & interior = different car than Insignia.

Buick most likely will NOT get the Insignia stateside because another brand will already have it and I don't think that Buick needs two Epsilon cars of the same size.

They are not the same size. The Insignia/Regal is on the SWB Epsilon II platform. The LaCrosse is on the LWB Epsilon II platform. Think of this in terms of the Acura TSX and the Acura TL. Same platform. Different Dimensions. Different car.

Wasn't one of those Buick mules (the one with Swedish plates) 4.8m long according to the specs sheet that leaked? It could be a 9-5 mule and not a Buick, but 4.8m is Insignia-sized, not what a LWB EpII's length would be (I'd imagine a LWB EpII would be between 4.9m and 5m long)...