wildcat

Detroit News: "GM will announce 'important changes'"

102 posts in this topic

The Detroit News revealed today that "GM will announce 'important changes' on Friday. To view the article, click here.

Edited by wildcat

The Detroit News revealed today that "GM will announce 'important changes' on Friday. To view the article, click here.

You think we'll hear anything about GM/Chrysler?

Considering that GM said they wanted to have such a deal, if possible, drawn up by the end of October.....

:deathwatch:

It better be real change, and not the "rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic" crap they have been doing with the "new" G3 and Traverse or financing that fits and red tag sales. Rebadging and discounts is how they got into the mess, and they are still doing it.

This is staggering:

"GM's sales in the United States are down 20.3 percent this year and the automaker has lost approximately $70 billion since 2004."

Toyota has made $59 billion in profit since then, that is a $130 billion difference! GM at this point probably has to declare bankruptcy, get rid of the union, get new management, and start over from scratch with 3-4 brands.

The issue with an OEM declaring bankruptcy is panic re warranties. People would think the company is tanking and would massively and suddenly go elsewhere.

I hope these major changes are related to NA operations and a plan to conserve cash. idk what such a plan would translate to in practical terms, but I'm curious to know what the news are...

Edited by ZL-1

Hmmm...I can only imagine it will be a Not Good announcement..more layoffs and plant closures? Models to be dropped?

I bet both Hummer and Saturn will be gone. GM has to start trimming fat, and it's got to get going fast. SOMETHING has to go.

Might they announce that GME will now oversee all future product design or perhaps the day-to-day operation of GMNA? I ask this particularly in light of a comment that was made today in the Buick forum here, after one poster derogatorily complained that car designers in Europe needed to improve their "vanilla" designs and someone responded that, after Friday, "you better get use to vanilla."

Edited by wildcat

Could it be something as drastic as announcing GMNA cut to 4 brands by the end of the year? That would be a dramatic change.

Might they announce that GME will now oversee all future product design or perhaps the day-to-day operation of GMNA? I ask this particularly in light of a comment that was made today in the Buick forum here, after one poster derogatorily complained that car designers in Europe needed to improve their "vanilla" designs and someone responded that, after Friday, "you better get use to vanilla."

Nice detective work.

That was PCS. He likes to mindf@#k people here, so I wouldn't put blind faith into it until Friday comes along.

Hmmm...I can only imagine it will be a Not Good announcement..more layoffs and plant closures? Models to be dropped?

Ummm.....yep- not good.

That's all I can say....

Me too. I can't imagine anything good being announced.

Me too. I can't imagine anything good being announced.

Anything shy of bankruptcy will be pretty good news!

If it's not good news it has to be more layoffs/ plant closings. A distant possibility is bankruptcy which I would actually welcome at this point. They could blame it on the economy and the Bush administration. Most people would go along with that.

My guess is layoffs, closing almost all the factories for "winter vacation" in December, and more of the same old cost cutting they've done in the past. Typical GM of trying to cure the symptoms and not the disease. I hope they address the real problem of too many models/too many brands, too big a dealer network, and union employees that are paid too much compared to Toyota/Honda workers.

My guess is layoffs, closing almost all the factories for "winter vacation" in December, and more of the same old cost cutting they've done in the past. Typical GM of trying to cure the symptoms and not the disease. I hope they address the real problem of too many models/too many brands, too big a dealer network, and union employees that are paid too much compared to Toyota/Honda workers.

Be careful what you wish for.....

I don't think it's going to be bankruptcy, that would be the kiss of death for their sales, and they know it big time. I think it's going to be killing some models or maybe even the consolidation of Saturn into the BPG "brand" or something, with the ultimate elimination of Pontiac. But bankruptcy, I highly doubt that.

That was PCS. He likes to mindf@#k people here, so I wouldn't put blind faith into it until Friday comes along.

Trust me it will be nothing but an earnings report, or lack thereof. Trust me! :AH-HA_wink:

Trust me it will be nothing but an earnings report, or lack thereof. Trust me! :AH-HA_wink:

Ummm...yeah...... :rolleyes:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room