Car Air Fresheners

HarleyEarl

What air freshener device do you use, if any?

And what unusual ones have you seen marketed?

I saw a 'pine tree' with leather scent.

Growing up, I remember our car usually had this little hanging wicker basket with a point at the bottom and a tassel. When you opened the lid, you would find lavender seeds inside. It was quite pleasant to the nose.

Can there be a more iconic freshener than the 'tree'?

treeff0.jpg

Funny that you mention the "wicker basket" style; I haven't seen one of those since my mother had one in her '85 Eldorado almost 20 years ago.

As for me, I use the good old-fashioned tree in Royal Pine. It's what I grew up with. My father had a whole forest of Royal Pine hanging from the emergency brake release in his '87 Sierra Classic, and does today in his 2000 Silverado. He's one of those people that keeps buying new ones but never throws the old ones away until they look down and realize that they probably don't need 35 at once.

My grandfather has the "Royal Pine" in his Impala, he's used it for decades, but he switched to this vile yellow one for a month a while back, I can't recall what the scent was but it was noxious.

I prefer the new car smell, which you can get in an air freshener now too. During the summer I usually leave an open package of Trident Bubble Gum in the side pocket of the door and the heat releases the smell.

treeff0.jpg

Those things...the GM came with a green one. Made it smell like an old guy's car...how fitting. My mom bought more of them. I hate them...when you first open one it's overpoweringly strong then quickly fades to nothing.

What I do like are those Yankee Candle gel car fresheners. I bought one for the Prizm since it always smells (rats crapped in the air ducts while it sat for a few years in KS...the smell sometimes rears it's ugly head). Evening Breeze or something like that. Smells really nice, it isn't overpowering, and it lasts a lot longer than those lousy ones mentioned above.

My car doesn't have one...I wouldn't mind one but there's no need; it smells like a well kept car. :wink:

I actually have some kind of "spring forest" spray.

BTW, when I was still young and first driving the Pathfinder, my mom put an air freshener in my car that smelled like strawberries. I took it out.

Later on, she put one in that smelled like jasmine. I took it out.

I use the Pine Tree's too, my current scent of choice is called Black Ice. It's a hard scent to describe, the best way to put it is perhaps a hint of new car smell and God knows what else...lol.

My family did the forest thing too in some of the cars back in like the 80's but not anymore.

When I bought my 70 Chevelle back in high school, it still smelled of the perfume of the wife of the previous owner. Since I was a typical horny American teenager, I would say THAT was my favourite air fresh.

But I use a pine scent when I put up an air freshener in my car.

Chris

Vanillaroma is the best... followed by Pine!

XP: I too collect the damn things till it gets silly.

When I sold my 5-speed Blazer it had like a dozen

vanillaroma ones, a few pine & couple strawberry

all hanging from the rear view.

Vanillaroma is the best... followed by Pine!

XP: I too collect the damn things till it gets silly.

When I sold my 5-speed Blazer it had like a dozen

vanillaroma ones, a few pine & couple strawberry

all hanging from the rear view.

I'm a fan of the Vanillaroma too.

There used to be coconut scented ones, another favorite....I'd mix the Vanillaroma and Coconut....made me hungary.

I had to put a couple new car smell ones and leave the sunroof open and windows down all day on a Saturday a few weeks ago after the Yorkie puppy made poopie in the passenger seat on the way to the airport..