Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mwaters

Invicta After All?

53 posts in this topic

On the Buick website, the vehicles listed are....Enclave, LaCrosse, Lucerne, Invicta....not in future vehicles, but the concept does pull up. Think we'll get a surprise and it will be called Invicta after all?

Hopefully...the ridiculous, meaningless LaCrosse name should die a quick death, just like the W body.

Also, if Invicta is to eventually replace Lucerne, they're going to need something better than LaCrosse. I don't know one import buyer that would EVER consider a "LaCrosse". It will be hard enough to get any young, successful professional to consider a Buick, period. Here's hoping for the best.....

you're right. lacrosse was a bad name from the start, tarnishing it with bad stodgy product only made the situation worse. I think I would make the decision depend on the final impact of the design of the car itself. if the design is bold enough to stand on its own two feet, then change the name. if it's good looking people will buy regardless of what it's called, but calling it lacrosse might actually hurt the car's chances.

This was discussed in the other topic quite a bit.

The LaCrosse replacement is being called the LaCrosse. The name has even been shown in spy photos on the rear of the car.

The LaCrosse replacement is being called the LaCrosse. The name has even been shown in spy photos on the rear of the car.

Really unfortunate but true. It might be called Invicta in Canada though seeing as LaCrosse is Quebecois slang for something inappropriate.

Again, hoping it could be a last minute decision. When I picture LaCrosse I picture rental or my local "seniors" grocery store. What I don't picture is a neighbor trading in a: ES350, A4, TL, C-Class, Maxima, Passat.....you get it......

I want Buick to succeed, but it will take new names and radical new marketing to make that happen. I'm 35 and don't know ONE person (other than my parents) who might actually consider thier current lineup (sans Enclave). Sad, really, but true. Rick, et al, don't get that. Minus radical rethinking of the demographic and mission, the brand will quietly die.

Invicta would be a good name. It has plenty of heritage, which is something that suits Buick well.

The naming game is something that bugs me... I almost always hear from those who support Invicta is that it's because it's a powerful name derived from Buick heritage.

Question is, are modern import drivers going to know what Invicta actually means? Probably not. Are modern import drivers going to say, "Ooooh... I remember the Invicta! That was such a powerful, classy car!"? No, because if they're remembering the Invicta well, they're probably in their 50's or 60's, and the latter is the age group Buick has already kissed and is trying to get away from.

Now, being a linguist, I can appreciate the meaning behind the name, but what weighs me to the side of not voting for it, is that to me it's not pleasing to the ear.

That is my opinion.

The naming game is something that bugs me... I almost always hear from those who support Invicta is that it's because it's a powerful name derived from Buick heritage.

Question is, are modern import drivers going to know what Invicta actually means? Probably not. Are modern import drivers going to say, "Ooooh... I remember the Invicta! That was such a powerful, classy car!"? No, because if they're remembering the Invicta well, they're probably in their 50's or 60's, and the latter is the age group Buick has already kissed and is trying to get away from.

Now, being a linguist, I can appreciate the meaning behind the name, but what weighs me to the side of not voting for it, is that to me it's not pleasing to the ear.

That is my opinion.

Who cares if the youngins don't know what Invicta means?! If they really want to know, they can go on that new fangled interwebs series of tubes thing they keep yammering about.

What does Camry mean? Elantra? Corolla? Passat?

At least Invicta is a real word.... and it just sounds better than Lacrosse even without the bluehair connotation.

At least Invicta is a real word.... and it just sounds better than Lacrosse even without the bluehair connotation.

See, that's your opinion. I don't feel it sounds better. Granted I never wanted the name LaCrosse, and would have rather had a new Regal, but I like LaCrosse more than Invicta.

That is my opinion.

But even if they don't know the history or meaning of Invicta, it's still far better tha LaCrosse.

Invicta name can do two thing the LaCrosse name can't:

1. It can make people who are aware of the nameplate's history take notice and check out the new car wearing the storied name
  2. It can raise the collective eyebrow of people who have never heard of it, and are curious

The LaCrosse has several strikes against it:

• It's slang in Quebecois for something inappropriate
  • It's attached to a car that was half-assed...
  • Based on a dated platform
  • Outdated powertrains, especially considering its "premium" intentions
  • Poor driving characteristics
  • Poor proportions
  • Bland styling
  • Bland somewhat cheap interior
  • Poor packaging

Should the new car really have that baggage attached to it?

See, that's your opinion. I don't feel it sounds better. Granted I never wanted the name LaCrosse, and would have rather had a new Regal, but I like LaCrosse more than Invicta.

Don't forget a new Regal could be approved for NA relatively soon.

Well, hmmm... should we change names AGAIN?

Lost the Century and Regal to the name LaCrosse.

Lost the Rendezvous, which had great success, to Enclave.

Lost the LeSabre and Park Avenue names, to Lucerne, which sounds so weak to me, where as Park Avenue sounds so stately.

Now we have 3 vehicles that had to be completely learned. Great, now the names are around, and some people have heard them... let's change them YET AGAIN.

I'll tell you what, you can have you Invicta name.

In 5 years, we'll probably get something else.

Lost the LeSabre and Park Avenue names, to Lucerne, which sounds so weak to me, where as Park Avenue sounds so stately.

Now we have 3 vehicles that had to be completely learned. Great, now the names are around, and some people have heard them... let's change them YET AGAIN.

Cars change names usually because they either didn't sell well, weren't very good, or some combination of the two. Cars that have a good reputation or sell because of the name, or are looked upon with respect, tend to keep their names. That's why the Civic is still a Civic, the Silverado is still a Silverado, and the Ram is still a Ram.

Buick_Home_Page_Photo.jpg

I really think the Invitca name for those who recall will remind them of the great Buicks. For those whom don't (younger folks) along with the Enclave it gives Buick a fresh start, and if a young person thinks LaCrosse they prolly think of the senior citizen discount and that is not good. Whatever it is named from what I have seen it will kick ass. That is all that matters.

But even if they don't know the history or meaning of Invicta, it's still far better tha LaCrosse.

1. It can make people who are aware of the nameplate's history take notice and check out the new car wearing the storied name
  2. It can raise the collective eyebrow of people who have never heard of it, and are curious

• Poor proportions
  • Bland styling
  • Poor packaging

I totally agree. Although I like the 08 and up LaCrosse and would not rule out a used Super with the 5.3L LS4 I still think a great new car deserves a fresh name with no baggage attached to it. DF you got this one right.

Enclave is doing quite fine with a new name.

Cars change names usually because they either didn't sell well, weren't very good, or some combination of the two. Cars that have a good reputation or sell because of the name, or are looked upon with respect, tend to keep their names. That's why the Civic is still a Civic, the Silverado is still a Silverado, and the Ram is still a Ram.

That's true, and sometimes they are changed for other reasons. Zephyr? It had a whole year. So they decided to go Alphanumeric. Just without numbers. And hey, while we're at it, our Navigator sells well, so we'll let that slide from our renaming scheme.

How about the great-selling Rendezvous? Whoops. Let's change it.

Hey, let's revive old names because people will buy them for their heritage... Taurus/Sable?

Cruze?

IMO, people in the past 5 years have made a lot of foolish name-changes.

• Poor proportions
  • Bland styling
  • Poor packaging

not to play devils advicate here but um....

malibu... most sheeple dont even realize the new malibu is a malibu.

That's true, and sometimes they are changed for other reasons. Zephyr? It had a whole year. So they decided to go Alphanumeric. Just without numbers. And hey, while we're at it, our Navigator sells well, so we'll let that slide from our renaming scheme.

How about the great-selling Rendezvous? Whoops. Let's change it.

Hey, let's revive old names because people will buy them for their heritage... Taurus/Sable?

Cruze?

IMO, people in the past 5 years have made a lot of foolish name-changes.

The Zephyer suffered that fate because of the renaming scheme, but the name that replaced it also feature fast improvements in the powertrain department, as well as AWD being added. So it was somewhat warranted.

The Taurs/Sable have poor sales because the product isn't compelling enough.

The Rendezvous may have sold well, but again I doubt it had a stellar reputation in terms of style, performance, and desire outside of the people who owned them. The Renezvous would never have been considering against the RX, but the Enclave can. The new name signifies a new, competitive, more upscale vehicle. It can be hard to move nameplates upscale if people are used to thinking of them as lower tier.

I like the Invicta name, besides it being a real word, it doesn't sound like a quickie made up one like 'camry' or 'corolla'. I like the name phonetically and I like it because I own one & I groove on what it represented in the lineup: the 'performance' Buick.

But I must correct the record: 'Invicta is in no way a "storied" or 'rich-heritage' nameplate. It came out in '59, ran thru '62, and for '63, the only Invicta was a wagon. Dead by '64. It's predecessor, the Super, and it's successor, the Wildcat had FAR great longevity & image than the Invicta did. The lower-price LeSabre had far more exposure, the higher-priced Electra far more aspiration. Invicta has no negative image, but there's no really notable positive image, either. It was kinda just there.

Still, I vote for it over LaCrosse, Regal or Lucerne.

I like the Invicta name, besides it being a real word, it doesn't sound like a quickie made up one like 'camry' or 'corolla'. I like the name phonetically and I like it because I own one & I groove on what it represented in the lineup: the 'performance' Buick.

But I must correct the record: 'Invicta is in no way a "storied" or 'rich-heritage' nameplate. It came out in '59, ran thru '62, and for '63, the only Invicta was a wagon. Dead by '64. It's predecessor, the Super, and it's successor, the Wildcat had FAR great longevity & image than the Invicta did. The lower-price LeSabre had far more exposure, the higher-priced Electra far more aspiration. Invicta has no negative image, but there's no really notable positive image, either. It was kinda just there.

Poor choice of words to use "storied". My bad. :)

Edited by Dodgefan

I am not calling you out, DF; others have said the name is good because it has a good history.... but the reality is it doesn't have a bad history, if you get my meaning. Even most general enthusiasts associate very little with 'Invicta" other than it gave birth to the Wildcat.

Corolla is a real word -- means the petals of a flower. It is derived from Corona (another Toyota nameplate) which is Latin for crown. "Crown" is also a long-time Toyota nameplate. "Camry" is the phonetic transcription for the Japnese word that means "crown." See a pattern here?

Invicta is alright with me. Like naming a baby, at first the name might seem strange or incongruous. But then a personality emerges and the name and baby (or car) seem natural together. Personally, I thought "Enclave" was a stupid, presumptuous name. Now, I don't feel that way -- it's just a name that refers to the Buick version of a very good crossover.

This whole conversation reminds me of lines from a tv show between a married couple:

(Big thumbs up if you can name where this is from)

• "I want the names to be unique and euphonious."
  • "Fine, Unique if he's a boy, and Euphonious if she's a girl."
  • "For your information, those are words, not names."
  • "Well they are the prettiest ones you've mentioned yet!"

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0