Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

Spy Shots: GMC Terrain

58 posts in this topic

Judging by the looks of this prototype, plans for a GMC version of General Motors' updated Theta platform are almost ready for prime-time.

Essentially the replacement for the Pontiac Torrent, this cladded-up GMC Terrain prototype reveals a masculine, blocky exterior with good differentiation between it and the forthcoming Chevrolet Equinox successor. A large, quadrangular shield grille stands proud while the blocky bumperette-style outcroppings in the corners give the crossover a bluff looking front end in a bid to reinforce GMC's image as a truck brand. In profile, the crossover has strong, squared-off wheel arches and flares that alleviate its otherwise slab sides, and the rear tailgate area cribs its cues from the SUV playbook, including an upright rear window, matte lower cladding and large, high-set taillamps.

Like its platform-mate from Chevrolet, we expect to see the Terrain debut with a 2.4-liter Ecotec direct-injection four-cylinder (good for 182 horsepower and an EPA-pending fuel economy rating of 21 city miles-per-gallon city and 30 on the highway ), as well as a 3.0-liter direct-injection six-cylinder good for 255 hp and estimated 18/25 mpg.

Our spies at KGP Photography note that the Chicago Auto Show has been a common unveiling point for GMC in the past, and judging by the finished look of this tester, a rollout in The City of Big Shoulders seems quite likely.

Source: Autoblog

Thanks for posting this DF... I've been waiting very patiently for more news on the Terrain. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing, and this one is the more upscale version (notice the chrome door handles, mirror caps, and the chrome rims <which I'm liking a lot>). I also like the fender flares that are noticeable in these shots (hopefully they're not just part of the camo package). And I'm hoping that more un-camo'ed shots start showing up soon. I don't know if my patience can wait much longer until the Chicago show arrives (20-21 more days to the media preview)!!

GM seems to be doing an excellent job of differentiating the Thetas and the TEs :yes:

I wonder if those blind spot mirrors are tacked on or built into the mirrors...

I was wondering the same thing, and was going to post about that, but after making my initial post the site went down!! I also see "Sierra" in the headlights, and maybe more cues from it and the Acadia in it's design too. Also, I'm getting a GMC Graphyte design vibe from the frontend. Here's the Graphyte, in case anyone else sees it too:

GMC-Graphyte-13-1280.jpg

I wonder what other design cues were used from this concept??

Thats not the Graphyte, its a Corvette. That place doesn't allow hotlinking.

Sorry about that. Hopefully the new pic remains.

I dont understand why GM builds another SUV yet the compact cars are still more then a year away.

Well, remember that the GMC Envoy has left to make way for the roomier and better MGP-achiever Acadia, and Pontiac is "losing" the Torrent and GMC is "gaining" the Terrain in its place. So the Terrain takes the place of both the Torrent and the Envoy.

Looks too blocky for my taste, I prefer the Chevy version with the more rounded lines.

While I like the new 2010 Equinox, I prefer my trucks (and 'trucklets') to have more of a truckier shape to them - or as you call it, "blocky". Though the Terrain will be a soft-roader, I don't want it to look any less of a truck.

Its a front or all-wheel-drive, mid-size car underneath! Plain and simple....not a bad looking crossover though, somewhat shrunken Acadia, except probably with beyond-pathetic cargo room when compared to Acadia (par to the class, that is, obviously they are different size classes-as in Acadia trumps Flex; Highlander/RX and Pilot/MDX eat Terrain/Equinox/SRX)-what's the valid excuse here?

Terrain looks good, but I must ask, what's the point? (And to replace the Pontiac Torrent doesn't count....)

Its a front or all-wheel-drive, mid-size car underneath! Plain and simple....not a bad looking crossover though, somewhat shrunken Acadia, except probably with beyond-pathetic cargo room when compared to Acadia (par to the class, that is, obviously they are different size classes-as in Acadia trumps Flex; Highlander/RX and Pilot/MDX eat Terrain/Equinox/SRX)-what's the valid excuse here?

Terrain looks good, but I must ask, what's the point? (And to replace the Pontiac Torrent doesn't count....)

Why start to have a logical explanation now? The geniuses in management & the board are waiting for Chapter 7 so they can make tell-all book deals!

Delay CTS coupe, develop unnecessary CUV that's 10 years late to market. Yep, that's the ticket!

Why start to have a logical explanation now? The geniuses in management & the board are waiting for Chapter 7 so they can make tell-all book deals!

Delay CTS coupe, develop unnecessary CUV that's 10 years late to market. Yep, that's the ticket!

Yeah, in '10, GM will have 4 midsize CUVs...but they have 4 dealer bodies (Chevy,BPG, Saturn, Cadillac) to keep happy...

Basic: Equinox

Mid lux: Terrain

Luxury: SRX

It's as simple as 1.2.3... And it perfectly follows the new core brand strategy. And so what? GM has 4 trucks on a platform... Big Deal. Just think, had GM kept Hummer, the HX would've been on this platform too.

(Saturn doesn't need the Vue and the 9-4X, if Saab sticks around, needs to focus on something drastically different than the SRX. Say, efficiency or performance)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Hooray, another SUV, because GM doesn't have enough of them already and SUVs are the hot market right now.

Hooray, another SUV, because GM doesn't have enough of them already and SUVs are the hot market right now.

Yeah, well GM always seems to be few years behind the trends. Midsize CUVs were a big niche a couple years ago.

Edited by moltar

Yeah, well GM always seems to be few years behind the trends. Midsize CUVs were a big niche a couple years ago.

I wouldn't want to place bets on GM actually marketing these new Thetas as "midsized" instead of "large compact."

Equinox - Basic

Terrain - Mid-Lux Domestic

Vue - Mid-Lux we'll pretend it's not a domestic since our neighbors/parents/colleagues/home owners association/MotorTrend would disapprove

SRX - Lux

I wouldn't want to place bets on GM actually marketing these new Thetas as "midsized" instead of "large compact."

They are midsized, they are bigger than an Edge, Highlander or RX350 which are considered midsize.

That's impossible since the current Vue is smaller than the last gen. and the last gen. is a lot smaller than the Edge and Highlander. Also, GM would never make their new SUV's the size of the Highlander, mainly because they have four that size already (Lambda?).

That's impossible since the current Vue is smaller than the last gen. and the last gen. is a lot smaller than the Edge and Highlander. Also, GM would never make their new SUV's the size of the Highlander, mainly because they have four that size already (Lambda?).

The full-size Lambdas are much bigger than the Highlander... the Vue is about the size of my '00 Grand Cherokee IIRC (180-181"). Kind of small midsize to large compact. The '09 Highlander is 188", the current Equinox is about 190", the new one may be larger. Lambdas are all around 200".

I think the new Equinox, Vue and SRX are going to be on a longer wheelbase than the Vue, a bit bigger.

Edited by moltar

Why don't they call it the Envoy? That was a GMC that seemed to have good brand recognition. Changing nameplates too often not only requires more advertising money, but it affects residuals as well. Who would want to drive a discontinued brand (e.g., Torrent)?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room