Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris_Doane

Bob Lutz retiring

43 posts in this topic

It will be interesting to see where the designs go from here...

That is really too bad. From the outside looking in it appears he was pretty much the only thing that GM had going for it.

No even sticking around to see the Volt go into production? that's too bad.

Good Riddance! I saw this guy on 60 minutes once and was not impressed. We need to get these SUV loving anti fuel efficiency types out of GM ASAP.

I think he will be rightly missed. If you look at the products GM was offering before his tenure and what they are offering now, then you see the impact he has had. I think GM's exterior designs are now cleaner and more focused, and the interior designs now exhibit better fit and finish.

I think the biggest difference is with Cadillac. Many people were excited about the art and science design theme. But the application of it originally left much to be desired (the original CTS). But Lutz infused the theme with elegance. Despite the criticism of some, the results speak for themselves (Sixteen Concept, CTS, Escalade).

Hopefully his replacement will share his vision.

He did a lot for GM, no one can argue that the Malibu/Enclave/CTS/G8/Solsitce/and other great newer GM products would have never seen the light of day at GM without Bob. I hope the new guy keeps Bob's lead going.

Well, chalk it up to another nail in GM's coffin...

I didn't always agree with Lutz, but his influence will be sorely missed as GM circles the toilet bowl.

Bob brought back some of the fire that old GM used to have with his designs. I have no idea who this new guy is, but I'm not very optimistic at this point.

Despite Bob's not always great PR skills, he will be missed by me.

Edited by mustang84

To blaime him for the large SUVs and like is just flat ignorent.

He was the first one to bring a Chevy that is on par with the cars from Asia.

He was the first big wig to know enough to ask why GM could not do 3 mm panel gaps. When he got the reply form the staff that no one ever asked.

He stuck hi neck out and brought us the HHR in light that many all said he was nuts. In the last 3 years GM has made a good profit on the 300,000 plus units they have sold. Few of these were fleet sales.

Bob may have over spoke at times but he often spoke as he felt. Honesty may not be popular in the headquarters but it is nice to hear on our end.

I would take another Bob in a heart beat at GM warts and all vs another paper shuffler that has no clue about product.

If GM does not have a good product man to take his place GM is doomed. It will have to be someone that understand and loves cars.

Man I swear, Left Lane News has one of the biggest group of idiot posters on any automotive news site.

Lutz helped get some GM mojo back with cars like the CTSv, g8, Cobalt SS, etc. He also pushed for better mainstream models some also. Yet, clearly its time GM moved on. GM needs a younger push to more mainstream focus. Not toyotaesque, but something more back to bread and butter and the masses.

Too bad to see him go, but it was pretty inevitable given his age. He led some great changes at GM, but also pushed through some misguided products IMO, such as the Solstice, which looked great but was never as good as the competition and was a diversion of resources. It seems his replacement is a total engineering type, so we'll see how he feels about design. Lutz's passion for design and master craftsmanship is pretty rare I would think.

I didn't even know he was sick ...

Wasn't the rumor that CPF would succeed him? What happened there?

SoCalCTS is truly a clueless individual. It was customers who wanted SUVs. GM merely gave its customers the best fullsize SUV on the market. Look how late Nissan and Toyota were to the game, yet there they are, with some of the worst guzzlers manufactured today.

Bob Lutz is singlehandedly the one guy responsible for bringing style back to GM cars inside and out. For all the haters: do you remember how lame the designs were before he was hired (Aztek!)? Do you remember how cheap the interiors looked? I shudder to think how much worse the Malibu and Impala could have been had Lutz not been around. He doted on tumblehome angles and wheelwell gaps. Prior to Lutz, GM appeared to have some guy in Legal in charge of that. I only wish his talents hadn't been so spread thin with so many redundant nameplates begging for attention.

Bob Lutz is singlehandedly the one guy responsible for bringing style back to GM cars inside and out. For all the haters: do you remember how lame the designs were before he was hired (Aztek!)? Do you remember how cheap the interiors looked? I shudder to think how much worse the Malibu and Impala could have been had Lutz not been around. He doted on tumblehome angles and wheelwell gaps. Prior to Lutz, GM appeared to have some guy in Legal in charge of that. I only wish his talents hadn't been so spread thin with so many redundant nameplates begging for attention.

:yes:

Good Riddance! I saw this guy on 60 minutes once and was not impressed. We need to get these SUV loving anti fuel efficiency types out of GM ASAP.

You really don't have a clue. Seeing somebody on sixty mintues and not being impressed is not away I judge someone. Sorry you really need to take off the blinders and realize what Bob has done for GM. Solstice, Sky, GTO, G8, CTS-V, and the Volt. He also pushed for GOOD panel fits inside and out. Honestly you haven't a clue, stop the hate.

The truth is some of the worst model mistakes Lutz made were still much much better than some of what GM did right in the 80's-90's.

If his worst sins were the a late HHR, Sky/Solstice and GTO I would take that anyday. The Aztec and Cadillac Cavaliers of GM's past were the real mistakes.

To come to GM and try to revamp a company with too many models and little money he did a hell of a job. This was a job few could have done any better with the restriction placed on them.

Few understand Bob went to the powertrain guys and told them he had their back. Today we have some of the best engine on the market Form the Ecotec Turbos, HV V6 with DI and even the Chevy V8 that can run with the big boys at a fraction of the cost.

IF Bob had the money and time we would have a lot more in product but there is only so much you can do with so little.

What Bob did best is show GM how if you empower the vast talent you have you reap greater rewards. Too often GM never used what was avaiable to them and it went else where and did the job for someone else.

The truth is some of the worst model mistakes Lutz made were still much much better than some of what GM did right in the 80's-90's.

If his worst sins were the a late HHR, Sky/Solstice and GTO I would take that anyday. The Aztec and Cadillac Cavaliers of GM's past were the real mistakes.

To come to GM and try to revamp a company with too many models and little money he did a hell of a job. This was a job few could have done any better with the restriction placed on them.

Few understand Bob went to the powertrain guys and told them he had their back. Today we have some of the best engine on the market Form the Ecotec Turbos, HV V6 with DI and even the Chevy V8 that can run with the big boys at a fraction of the cost.

IF Bob had the money and time we would have a lot more in product but there is only so much you can do with so little.

What Bob did best is show GM how if you empower the vast talent you have you reap greater rewards. Too often GM never used what was avaiable to them and it went else where and did the job for someone else.

Point well taken.

Whose idea was it to accelerate the GMT-900 programs? 'Cause that was a pretty bad idea in hindsight, probably wasn't the best idea at the time either.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0