Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Docherty: Pontiac "Alive and Kicking"

"Pontiac’s top reason for purchase is fuel economy"

Great. That's some real Excitement coming our way.

That sentence doesn't even make sense. Did she mean, "The top reason to purchase a Pontiac is fuel economy"...?

call me chauvenist.

point one. do women (as a whole, not saying their are not hot rod gals out there) GET performance cars like guys do? if so, why is a woman in charge of pontiac? or at least, speaking on its behalf.

point two. oddly enough, the men must be women haters if Saturn and Pontiac are going down. Since both were kinda in charge by women?

Edited by regfootball

call me chauvenist.

point one. do women (as a whole, not saying their are not hot rod gals out there) GET performance cars like guys do? if so, why is a woman in charge of pontiac? or at least, speaking on its behalf.

point two. oddly enough, the men must be women haters if Saturn and Pontiac are going down. Since both were kinda in charge by women?

There are four types of car ladies...

-Don't know jack $h!... (Toyota buyers because everyone else has one...)

-Know something about vehicles and know the difference between a L4 and a V8... Some might value performance or buying American...

-Have a good knowledge of vehicles and understand hp and torque and value "performance and well styled vehicles"...

-Know as much as any other gear-head or car nut.

I hope Miss Docherty is one of the last two, I assume she is as well. Most ladies fall into the first section I fear. My wife would fall into the second or third. It would drive me nuts being married to a female who is clue-less when it comes to cars. I am glad to hear this but it won't mean anything until 5 year down the road until Pontiac actually has a new products and a "clear plan". I just hope she is right. :unitedstates:

Edited by gm4life

There are four types of car ladies...

-Don't know jack $h!... (Toyota buyers because everyone else has one...)

-Know something about vehicles and know the difference between a L4 and a V8... Some might value performance or buying American...

-Have a good knowledge of vehicles and understand hp and torque and value "performance and well styled vehicles"...

-Know as much as any other gear-head or car nut.

I hope Miss Docherty is one of the last two, I assume she is as well. Most ladies fall into the first section I fear. My wife would fall into the second or third. It would drive me nuts being married to a female who is clue-less when it comes to cars. I am glad to hear this but it won't mean anything until 5 year down the road until Pontiac actually has a new products and a "clear plan". I just hope she is right. :unitedstates:

Why does this matter? Does one have to be a gearhead to own a GM? By your rationale, since the majority of female car owners out there don't fall into your second or third category, and it's the public that speaks for the auto-industry, it's any wonder why there are any performance vehicles at all.

BTW, my wife knows the basics of a car. She can add air or change a tire, check the fluids, understand what the gauges are telling her, all basic essentials. The fact that she didn't know how the internal combustion process powers her car doesn't mean anything. I'm pleased she asked me to describe it to her, but it doesn't mean she wants to go and buy a 300 hp sports sedan.

Why does this matter? Does one have to be a gearhead to own a GM? By your rationale, since the majority of female car owners out there don't fall into your second or third category, and it's the public that speaks for the auto-industry, it's any wonder why there are any performance vehicles at all.

BTW, my wife knows the basics of a car. She can add air or change a tire, check the fluids, understand what the gauges are telling her, all basic essentials. The fact that she didn't know how the internal combustion process powers her car doesn't mean anything. I'm pleased she asked me to describe it to her, but it doesn't mean she wants to go and buy a 300 hp sports sedan.

I was just defending females and some of there knowledge on cars is all.

Yup thats all. Lets just hope Pontiac stays alive and kicking. Now I am going to pray.

Understood, my bad. :duh: My hope that a solid plan for their existence will include more differentiation in an effort to attract more buyers over just the GM buyer deciding simply between rebadges and savings. Any other plan involving their existence will likely have more negative consequences.

On the "GM Fastlane Blog," Susan Docherty has replied to some of the people who wrote comments about her claim that Pontiac is "Alive and Kicking."

Here's an excerpt of one response: ". . . We’re learning a lot from the customer reaction to the G8, which we’ll be using as future Pontiac’s are designed and built. AWD is something we’ve talked about . . . and it’s something we can consider for the future. As new Pontiacs come to market, I hope you’ll see the kind of positive changes you’re suggesting."

Susan

Those statements seem to indicate that new Pontiacs are being planned and that Pontiac does, indeed, have some kind of future. But because her words seem to fly in the face of what, for instance, Pontiac Custom-S has foretold, there's only three possibilities here:

1. GM has had a change of heart about Pontiac.

2. Docherty's superiors are not being truthful to her.

3. Docherty is not being truthful to the public.

Which is it? As a long-time GM supporter, I'd like to think it's 1.

Edited by wildcat

On the "GM Fastlane Blog," Susan Docherty has replied to some of the people who wrote comments about her claim that Pontiac is "Alive and Kicking."

Here's an excerpt of one response: ". . . We’re learning a lot from the customer reaction to the G8, which we’ll be using as future Pontiac’s are designed and built. AWD is something we’ve talked about . . . and it’s something we can consider for the future. As new Pontiacs come to market, I hope you’ll see the kind of positive changes you’re suggesting."

Susan

Those statements seem to indicate that new Pontiacs are being planned and that Pontiac does, indeed, have some kind of future. But because her words seem to fly in the face of what, for instance, Pontiac Custom-S has foretold, there's only three possibilities here:

1. GM has had a change of heart about Pontiac.

2. Docherty's superiors are not being truthful to her.

3. Docherty is not being truthful to the public.

Which is it? As a long-time GM supporter, I'd like to think it's 1.

Thanks for the update. I do think now that Saturn is toast GM could have had a change of heart. They got my email.