Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

REPORT: GM has three possible offers for Hummer between $100-$200M; SAIC may buy Buick

42 posts in this topic

General Motors has been mandated by the U.S. government to shed brands as part of its restructuring process. Recent reports indicate that the General is hard at work, as three buyers are reportedly seeking to purchase Hummer, while a Chinese company may have interest in Buick.

The Hummer fire-sale has been ongoing, but a brutal economy and non-existent credit markets have made a sale even less probable. Reuters is reporting that GM has than three bidders for the Sierra Club's symbol of excess, with one potential buyer from the U.S. and two others overseas. The price of Hummer is reportedly somewhere between $100-$200 million in cash, plus assurances that the buyer will pump money into engineering, sales and marketing. Whichever firm takes the reigns would also take over responsibility for Hummer's 125 dealers. GM would in turn continue to build the H3 at its Shreveport plant, and turn over future plans for the brand.

A separate report from China Business News states that GM's partner in China, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. (SAIC), is looking to purchase Buick outright. The report values the Buick brand at $1 billion, mainly due to its popularity in the Land of the Great Wall. We're more skeptical about this report, however, because it's short on details and just quotes "sources." GM has also never said it would consider selling Buick. The brand is also one of the most popular marques in China, making a sale, unless the price was right, seem like a bad idea.

Autoblog

Thanks for the update DF. I really Hope Hummer gets a good new Owner that will realize like the rest of us Hummer owners and the dealer I get service from that the H2 would benefit from the Duramax Engine and allison tranny and the H3 would benefit from the baby Duramax and allison tranny. GM really needs to stop wasting the 500 million spent on research of that baby diesel and bring it to market, they should really point out to the GOV that taking light trucks and SUV's from the mid teens to the mid 20's really does help bring up the corp average for all of GM and saves oil more so than just sitting on the existing engines.

In regards to Buick, I think everyone is in agreement that GM needs to be a 3 tier company, just what the mid level auto line will be called is something else. If they really feel they can over come the stigma of the Buick name here in the US, fine keep it and retire the pontiac and gmc name as Buick is the mid level luxury levels of the trucks, suv's, cuv's, auto's and performance for GM.

Here is to a better world once GM really gets down to an efficient 3 tier Global company. :)

Isn't GM partnered with SAIC to build the Buicks in China? Would this not just be ending US operations and moving production 100% off shore? I am only asking here...

A separate report from China Business News states that GM's partner in China, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. (SAIC), is looking to purchase Buick outright.

Isn't GM partnered with SAIC to build the Buicks in China? Would this not just be ending US operations and moving production 100% off shore? I am only asking here...

I read that the Chinese response to the world wide financial screw ups/recession is to purchase "things of value" outside of China. China is loaded with cash but concerned about currency devaluations etc. It is this "theory" that makes me think there might be something real to the rumors of a possible Chinese purchase of Buick.

Course it would be stupid for them to sell a cash cow that would help them in the long run grow and survive. After all, China has 3 times the population of the US.

Be interesting to see what the New GM will end up looking like.

I agree. Buick is successful in China (which is why SAIC wants it) Why the hell would you give up a successful brand?

I agree. Buick is successful in China (which is why SAIC wants it) Why the hell would you give up a successful brand?

This brings me back to the 3 tier level that I still believe GM needs to move to, but also tends to build a case for why they should keep BPG since many people relate to the brand names. Professional Grade is GMC, Denali is GMC. Luxury above Chevy but below Caddy is Buick. Luxury Excitement above chevy is Pontiac.

I would think a valid business case could be made to explain this to the Obama auto group. :scratchchin:

Edited by dfelt

This brings me back to the 3 tier level that I still believe GM needs to move to, but also tends to build a case for why they should keep BPG since many people relate to the brand names. Professional Grade is GMC, Denali is GMC. Luxury above Chevy but below Caddy is Buick. Luxury Excitement above chevy is Pontiac.

I would think a valid business case could be made to explain this to the Obama auto group. :scratchchin:

Exactly.

especially since cadillac will be down to two trucks only. escalade and SRX and who knows if the Escalade will even survive.

especially since cadillac will be down to two trucks only. escalade and SRX and who knows if the Escalade will even survive.

Escalade better survive as I have always owned one and will continue to buy them, I like my full size luxury SUV. I put about 30,000+ miles a year on it as I drive everywhere to see this country and that is my fun. Travel by driving, see America and support the small and big towns as I explore our Great big Country.

:unitedstates::unitedstates::unitedstates::unitedstates::unitedstates:

Buick was the absolute Ground Zero for GM at its founding. Getting rid of Buick would be getting rid of its very soul.

Buick was the absolute Ground Zero for GM at its founding. Getting rid of Buick would be getting rid of its very soul.

Yeah, it's a pretty fundamental GM brand. HUMMER, Saturn and SAAB can go, no big loss..but a GM without Buick would be like a GM without Cadillac or Oldsmobile..

Yeah, it's a pretty fundamental GM brand. HUMMER, Saturn and SAAB can go, no big loss..but a GM without Buick would be like a GM without Cadillac or Oldsmobile..

Psssst, in case you haven't noticed, there is a GM without Oldsmobile ...

Psssst, in case you haven't noticed, there is a GM without Oldsmobile ...

Yes, but it's not the same... HUMMER is no substitute for Olds.

or Buick, I still don't get your point ...

GM phased out Olds about the same time they brought in HUMMER..that's all, no correlation otherwise.

Escalade better survive as I have always owned one and will continue to buy them, I like my full size luxury SUV. I put about 30,000+ miles a year on it as I drive everywhere to see this country and that is my fun. Travel by driving, see America and support the small and big towns as I explore our Great big Country.

:unitedstates::unitedstates::unitedstates::unitedstates::unitedstates:

you mean you don't just sit in a tiny coffee shop in seattle all day or in the parts of san francisco and never go outside there but think that is all where its at?

It is unlikley GM to sell Buick.

Buick unlike Olds and Pontiac is selling very well somewhere in the world and is making a good Profit.

It has nothing to do with souls. Hell GM tradition and lack of adaption is what created this mess to start with.

I could see Buick here being shut down. Once Chevy and Caddy are stablized in reorganiation Buick could be reintroduced later to this market as they will be still making and selling many models in China. This also will close a lot of dealers.

Heck some idiots may see them as an import and swear they are better cars. LOL

Heck if GM does this right just because a brand goes now does not keep it from reintroing it later as limited targeted model that could be sold in a Chevy or Cadillac store.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room