[Updated] Pontiac Officially Dead in 2010 as of 04/27/2009

A no brainer, IMO. Though I think the fender vents could stand modification/deletion.

Actually I find them tastefully done and add depth to the car's sculpting. Plus if they're actually functional, so much the better. :P

Also at least they're not chrome stick ons like everyone and their Grandmother's Oldsmobile has been slapping onto cars lately.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because every design that has ever come from a car company has been a home run right? So because I don't care for the styling of the GTO means that all of the posts I've made wanting a G8 and loving its styling are untrue then?

Also, teh Camaro VS mustang thing is their opinion , so sure it's true to them. I personally love the new GT500.

That comment wasn't directed at you, just in general. It just seems as if anyone says anything good about Pontiac, 10 people come complain about how they lack excitement, or the GTO was a failure or looks like a Cavalier. More often than not, the person making those comments are people that would never buy a Pontiac, and are happy the brand is being cut.

Now I'm really pissed that I'm losing my job in June and will be unable to afford a new 2009 Pontiac G8 GT this summer/fall. That is, if this news is true. And it's being reported everywhere now, so we'll just have to wait patiently for 48+ hours until GM makes their PR statement.

The question remains; who will get what, or will it be dropped. My guess:

G3 - Already Aveo

Vibe - ??, not a fit for Chevrolet or Buick. Possible small GMC?

G6 - Cancel

G8 - Future Impala/Caprice

Solstice - Chevrolet

Any other thoughts?

The question remains; who will get what, or will it be dropped. My guess:

G3 - Already Aveo

Vibe - ??, not a fit for Chevrolet or Buick. Possible small GMC?

G6 - Cancel

G8 - Future Impala/Caprice

Solstice - Chevrolet

Any other thoughts?

I'll hazard a guess... G3 = dropped; Vibe = dropped (better products from Opel); G6 = dropped; G8 = changed to Chevrolet if Zeta platform continues; and Solstice = dropped (along with the Saturn Sky).

I'll hazard a guess... G3 = dropped; Vibe = dropped (better products from Opel); G6 = dropped; G8 = changed to Chevrolet if Zeta platform continues; and Solstice = dropped (along with the Saturn Sky).

I suspect the G8 will most likely dissapear completely... I would assume the Impala will stay W forever or be replaced by an Epsilon II FWD model in 2015-2020 or so..

What I'm wondering is how quickly Pontiac will go away? No MY '10 models?

They did make it sound like it will go away sooner rather than later. The way the dealers are setup, they could easily get rid of it this year.

I suspect the G8 will most likely dissapear completely... I would assume the Impala will stay W forever or be replaced by an Epsilon II FWD model in 2015-2020 or so..

After spending all that money getting it US ready, I don't think they will drop it that easily. Besides, it is getting good reviews for GM. Could they take the Buick version from China and import it over? It would help the dealers that are loosing it, and help Buick expand their line up.

After spending all that money getting it US ready, I don't think they will drop it that easily. Besides, it is getting good reviews for GM. Could they take the Buick version from China and import it over? It would help the dealers that are loosing it, and help Buick expand their line up.

There have been rumbling for a while that Zeta is dead, though. And given the levels of incompetence GMNA has shown for quite a while with regard to Pontiac, I wouldn't expect them to do the right thing by the G8 (or any other model).

Buick dropped.

GMC dropped.

Cadillac dropped.

Chevrolet dropped.

GM dropped.

GM out of consideration for purchase in my household.

Now, now, no need for the drama. Just because GM is forced to drop another brand line, it doesn't mean they are going to not have vehicles that fit your need. To be mad at the people that caused our current crash, and not vote for their theories is another matter all together though.

I'm sure everyone in the ReCen would love to have an answer to Pontiac. Let's face it, no matter what products GM gave Pontiac, the public would not consider it. The general public has spoken, and they decided the Pontiac name, just like the Oldsmobile name, is not something they can show off to their neighbors.

I will be sad to see Pontiac go, but I do understand the reasoning.

Take the badge off of this:

2007Mercedes-BenzE-Class.jpg

And you know what it is

A Hyundai Genesis.

Take the badge off this:

orig_DSCF3081tCE_CTS_Review.jpg

And you know what it is

A Honda Accord or Acura TL.

Pontiac doesn't have any of that in the lineup.

They do. You're just blind to it. You claim the G8 just needs a nose and its an Impala SS... but in the Merc/Caddy above, you're just removing badges. Remove badges/grills/headlights/taillights and both of the cars above could be any number of generic clones.

A Hyundai Genesis.

A Honda Accord or Acura TL.

They do. You're just blind to it. You claim the G8 just needs a nose and its an Impala SS... but in the Merc/Caddy above, you're just removing badges. Remove badges/grills/headlights/taillights and both of the cars above could be any number of generic clones.

You're joking right?

Both the Mercedes and the Cadillac have distinct design languages. Only a blind person wouldn't be able to tell what brand they belong to. That's like saying you can't tell what a Corvette, a Mustang, a Continental GT, a Zonda are without the badge.

Pontiac doesn't have a design language. The closest they came was with the Solstice and that was one car. The rest are defined by a split in the grill and hood scoops.

Seriously, even if bankruptcy is relatively quick the new GM will be under pressure to cut what is unprofitable. So, is the Lansing Cadillac plant profitable now? How much less so will it be when the old SRX and STS go out to pasture? Is the CTS and its niche coupe and wagon variants enough to justify the plant? With GM= Epic Fail in the minds of buyers will anything but Chevrolet be left standing 2 years from now?

Buick dropped.

GMC dropped.

Cadillac dropped.

Chevrolet dropped.

GM dropped.

GM out of consideration for purchase in my household.

Seriously, even if bankruptcy is relatively quick the new GM will be under pressure to cut what is unprofitable. So, is the Lansing Cadillac plant profitable now? How much less so will it be when the old SRX and STS go out to pasture? Is the CTS and its niche coupe and wagon variants enough to justify the plant? With GM= Epic Fail in the minds of buyers will anything but Chevrolet be left standing 2 years from now?

The better question is, will Chevy even be standing 2 years from now?

The better question is, will Chevy even be standing 2 years from now?

Well, they have the strongest sales (most volume of GM's brands), and the truck market. I can't see them going under, at least in NA. I don't know how well their Chevywoo nonsense is doing in Europe, though.

Edited by moltar

Now, now, no need for the drama. Just because GM is forced to drop another brand line, it doesn't mean they are going to not have vehicles that fit your need. To be mad at the people that caused our current crash, and not vote for their theories is another matter all together though.

I'm sure everyone in the ReCen would love to have an answer to Pontiac. Let's face it, no matter what products GM gave Pontiac, the public would not consider it. The general public has spoken, and they decided the Pontiac name, just like the Oldsmobile name, is not something they can show off to their neighbors.

I will be sad to see Pontiac go, but I do understand the reasoning.

No drama. I have no compelling reason to ever buy another GM product without Pontiac.

My needs... RWD, large, fast, coupe and bad ass. Must have at least four.

Do I want a FWD generic designed for the graveyard-bound set, like Buick? Perhaps a Cadillac based on a decade old FWD platform... or a RWD CTS I hardly fit into. Would I like a Chevy with no personality? Naa.

There were 250K members of the public who voted with their wallet in a bad market... oh yeah, now people will say how that was all fleet sales.

GM has barely built anything that fits my needs in 20 years, yet I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Pontiac and Olds were my favorites. I'm a automotive enthusiast. And I'm not investing anymore enthusiasm into the black hole known as GM.

Like I've predicted before, I'll invest in BMWs or Mercedes in the future (after buying a last Pontiac G8 GXP), but now the bumper sticker will say something like "I used to buy American but Obama changed that." or "I tried to buy American but America couldn't be bothered."

I really do feel like I need a bumper sticker that says "Yeah I bought a BMW/Mercedes, but I'm really not a jerk. Really."

I hope the BPG dealers stick it in GM's, uh, ear.

Like I've predicted before, I'll invest in BMWs or Mercedes in the future (after buying a last Pontiac G8 GXP), but now the bumper sticker will say something like "I used to buy American but Obama changed that." or "I tried to buy American but America couldn't be bothered."

Oh, please.. you think things would be better had McCain won? The Republicans couldn't care less about the American auto industry..

You're joking right?

Both the Mercedes and the Cadillac have distinct design languages. Only a blind person wouldn't be able to tell what brand they belong to. That's like saying you can't tell what a Corvette, a Mustang, a Continental GT, a Zonda are without the badge.

Pontiac doesn't have a design language. The closest they came was with the Solstice and that was one car. The rest are defined by a split in the grill and hood scoops.

Those sports cars do have distinct design language.

Those sedans? Design language is foreign to them. Oh, we put the beltline a inch higher. Do you want an upswept rear window or a downswept? Hey, what can we steal from BMW or Mercedes today?

And it has gotten to the point where if Americans can't tell a Mustang from a Camaro from a Challenger or where the USA is on a map, you think they see design language. No habla designa lingua.

If I wasn't so rusty in my photoshop, I'd demonstrate.

Oh, please.. you think things would be better had McCain won? The Republicans couldn't care less about the American auto industry..

GM was better off with a chapter 11... they would have lost debt, the unions, but not brands. McCain would have sucked as bad/worse, but might have seen that killing Pontiac will do nothing for GM but cost sales, and the anchor of the BPG organization.

No drama. I have no compelling reason to ever buy another GM product without Pontiac.

My needs... RWD, large, fast, coupe and bad ass. Must have at least four.

Do I want a FWD generic designed for the graveyard-bound set, like Buick? Perhaps a Cadillac based on a decade old FWD platform... or a RWD CTS I hardly fit into. Would I like a Chevy with no personality? Naa.

There were 250K members of the public who voted with their wallet in a bad market... oh yeah, now people will say how that was all fleet sales.

GM has barely built anything that fits my needs in 20 years, yet I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Pontiac and Olds were my favorites. I'm a automotive enthusiast. And I'm not investing anymore enthusiasm into the black hole known as GM.

I really do feel like I need a bumper sticker that says "Yeah I bought a BMW/Mercedes, but I'm really not a jerk. Really."

I hope the BPG dealers stick it in GM's, uh, ear.

While I hate the guy, Obama had noting to do with this. Idiots in the GM management did. Bad decisions followed by even dumber ones doomed Pontiac and other brands years ago. My biggest complaint stems from the name changing of the cars that opened the door to cross shopping. Lesabre at Buick was a huge seller, why it became Lucerne is beyond me. But for all those people who bought a new Lesabre every year who walked into the dealer for thier new car were met with a completely new product that was foreign to them - so the shopped. Camry has been Camry forever, just like Corrolla. We had Grand Am, then G6...Cutlass became Alero...and the sales slid. You alienate your customer base and you will leave the door open for the competition.

I hope you do buy the G8 GXP and it lasts you a long, long time. It is a beautiful car. I also hope that GM takes the G8 over to Chevrolet and reintroduces the Caprice line with the wagon and the four door sedan, as well as the re-birth of the El Camino. The engineering is done, the certifications are done, and I really think people will buy them in droves. A RWD, beautiful line of cars that are roomy and inexpensive compared to the BMW/Mercedes/Lexus offerings. The auto rags are practically raving over the G8 and the New Camaro is also racking up the praise...the fit is there for these cars on the Chevrolet lots.

This truly blows. I really think the G8 is awesome and probably would have sold pretty well in about a year when the economy starts picking back up.

Will they sell the G8 as a Chevy now? Any speculation on that?

Now that the story has spread to various news outlets, why does GM wait until Monday to make an announcement? What is their strategy? To pickup any weekend car sales? LOL Isn't it better to deliver bad news Friday at 5, after the stock market closes - rather than first thing Monday morning?

Edited by wildcat

GM was better off with a chapter 11... they would have lost debt, the unions, but not brands. McCain would have sucked as bad/worse, but might have seen that killing Pontiac will do nothing for GM but cost sales, and the anchor of the BPG organization.

Bull$h!. GM would have shed brands in Ch. 11, but customers would have been f@#ked with warrenties.

Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson declined to comment to Automotive News on Pontiac´s future. “I can´t speculate what next week is going to hold,” he said. “When we were asked to go back and look at the viability plan, everything went back on the table. We’re reviewing everything. Nothing is sacred. We’re still under the original viability plan until told otherwise.”

i hope they at least keep the solstice and find it a new home. its too distinctive to ignore. maybe rebaged as the buick velite?!

i loved my old pontiacs...

1985 grand am - my first pontiac. back when i was a spring chicken, i begged my parents for this car.

1988 grand prix se - when it became motor trends "car of the year". had to have this one...that interior!

1992 bonneville sse - those fog lights on the sse caught my eye.

1994 grand prix se - got sse in a car accident, went back to 2 door.

* and back in 85 when i knew nothing about regular maintenance on oil and filter changes, that grand am ran faithfully. never broke down on me.

I think we have here more Pontiac fans than you will find anywhere else other than a Pontiac site.

I think if you polled people here most would say they love Pontiac and don't want to see them go.

DAMN STRAIGHT! :yes:

I learned to drive on a Pontiac, my family has bought several

and my parents, esp. my father would consider it his favorite

brand... we've bought a few Chevys but he always preferred

Pontiacs for their sportier style.

When working as a salesman for Bill DeLuca Chevrolet/Pontiac

GMC/Buick I sold my parents their 2001 Grand Am GT, ordered

with EVERY single option available except for the engine block

heater since it's not necessary here in Southern New England.

They still have that car, it's their most favorite car they've

ever had.... My dad would buy a G8 in a heartbeat if it were in

the budget and the only reason they bough the Cobalt is

because either way, even if they had the G5, you're sill buying

a Cobalt. The Grand Am stands out quite well against the

Malibu or Century. (same price range)

Looks like I won't be considering GM for a new car purchase when I decide the time will come.

In fact, next summer's purchase might just be my last GM purchase entirely.

My business is going to Ford.

My business is going everywhere else, except GM. I now feel bad for all the times I have defended GM and convinced people to buy GM vehicles. Now, it is my mission to convince people to NOT buy GM.

That comment wasn't directed at you, just in general. It just seems as if anyone says anything good about Pontiac, 10 people come complain about how they lack excitement, or the GTO was a failure or looks like a Cavalier. More often than not, the person making those comments are people that would never buy a Pontiac, and are happy the brand is being cut.

and yet would find a genesis coupe interesting and 'unique' and worthy of a flier.....yeah, like that isn't a car you could put any asian brand name on.......f-cking sickens me you won't have a g8 to buy but will have 6 or 7 worthless and non unique asian brands to buy from.

and yet would find a genesis coupe interesting and 'unique' and worthy of a flier.....yeah, like that isn't a car you could put any asian brand name on.......f-cking sickens me you won't have a g8 to buy but will have 6 or 7 worthless and non unique asian brands to buy from.

Yep, because Hyundai means EXCITEMENT!!!!

Funny how as little as 5 years ago, no one would be caught dead in a Hyundai, but now they're in comparisons with G35s. Those same people would by a Hyundai now but say Pontiacs image is redneck and can never be changed.

Yep, because Hyundai means EXCITEMENT!!!!

Funny how as little as 5 years ago, no one would be caught dead in a Hyundai, but now they're in comparisons with G35s. Those same people would by a Hyundai now but say Pontiacs image is redneck and can never be changed.

it's just people trying to outsmart the box they were packed in and trying to tell their friends they have the next big thing. personally though, i can't tell the tiburon from the scoupe from the eclipse (which is far better looking than the hyundai elantra rwd special edition coupe) from the altima coupe etc. no more than people ragged on the gto, which has one of the most athletic stances of any car sold in the last ten years, even if it was aero. I find it highly ridiculous that people would criticize aero styling and then look at something like the genesis coupe and say its desirable by the masses. the g35 coupe and 350z were both distinctive and sort of continue to be, but on the whole i can't tell the diff between a honda prelude and the scoupe coupe. so how does GM get so charred for it (when we have a nice sweet new camaro to look at). you could put any asian badge on any of hyundais stuff and no one would know the diff. so much for brand focus.

its just like all the people who read CR and are buying hyundais instead of toyotas now, because hyundai is the upstart. but the truth is both hyundai and toyota are average products glorified by a set of people that really just want to proclaim themselves smarter than the box they are packed up in.

challenger, mustang, camaro, all distinctive, no mistaking them. but the general public don't care. even if they drive a corolla which you cannot tell from a kia.

g8 is a pretty distinctive car which is no longer available to us because partially the auto task force. read business week april 13 where is says the auto task force basically knows nothing about the industry and needed schooling on how many parts of it work......

Edited by regfootball

Hyundai has been putting an effort into building acceptable cars and convincing people that buying one isn't an awful idea. GM hasn't been able to do both those things for any of their 8 brands. Hell, Hummer is the only brand they were able to pull it off with and that didn't turn out to well in the end.

it's more a reflection of the public in general. i guess it can't be helped but too much sht these days is media driven people don't even test drive or cross shop alternatives. really gm's disaster of a pr dept should be as much to blame for gm's downfall as anything. letting lutz talk in public for one.......duct tape his mouth and send oprah $$$$ to say GM is green.....